p4-4

The Odds of Us

"Good, I am pleased to hear. As of today you will be apart of my court and I will make sure that the servants will see to your new ranks," the king said before looking to his brother. "We need to start preparing for your coronation ceremony there are many things to discuss." 

"But of course my king, let me first walk lady Minzy to her new living arrangements and then we can discuss whatever you like," Mino bowed respectfully before holding out his hand forearm towards her. Minzy didn't know how to feel about being called a lady. This chivlary act was just as different for her to grasp as she reluctently took hold of his arm and followed him out. "We will send for a seamstress to get your measurements as well as design the type of dresses you would like to wear lady Minzy." 

Minzy bit the corner of her lip as she groaned inwardly, "Minzy is just fine." She grew nervous as she found herself in a different part of the castle, it was off limits to her type, the indebted type. But now she was on a new level as she was showed to tall doors that reached towards the ceiling. Two servants bowed deeply before opening the door to reveal her new room. It was tremendous compared to the small closet of a room she had before. The high ceilings, the massive bed that was on a higher level compared to her study area and vanity. Walking further into what felt more like a luxury apartment with off white, golds, and pinks adorning every corner, she was even more amazed by the walk in closet that was connected to the bathroom. The bathroom had a claw foot tub, a separate shower and high end fixtures something she did not know the castle had possessed.

"How do you like it," Mino asked as he reminded her of his presence. 

"Honestly..." touching the marble counter tops she grinned at how smooth it was. "This is all lovely but it is all unnecessary." 

"As a lady of the king's court, this is the life you chose," he frowned. 

"Mino cut the , was it really a choice? You knew exactly what I wanted and yet you forced my hand to stay. Don't think these materialistic things will stop me from following through with our deal. I leave right after your coronation," she snapped. 

He pressed his lips tightly together as he took in her words, he knew he couldn't fool her but he thought it was worth the try, "You're right I did ask you to stay until my coronation." He went quiet before he forced himself to say the words he dread, "I can't force you to stay by my side forever, but I hope when the time comes that you'll find it in you to stay."

"For how long," she asked.

Pressing his lips tightly together, he was unsure if he should say. Turning to take his leave, he whispered softly, "For forever and a day." Pivoting on one foot, he took his leave and left her to reflect on his words. Whether he knew it or not, she had heard his response. She felt her hollowed heart become heavy as she wondered why he would curse her to be enslaved in a different form of service. 

 

The seamstress nearly fainted when Minzy had tried to brush her off and requesting a comfortable pair of sweats. But after much debate, they had come to an agreement that she could have a pair of sweats for each dress the seamstress could make her. This seamstress was very up close and personal, taking what felt like every possible measurement of her before she was then ambushed by a makeup team. Fabrics were tossed to and fro as she was tugged in all sorts of directions as the various makeup artists busied all around her. Everyone in the room were all focused on her, she was the center of attention. To most they would feel special and more important, but to Minzy she felt like nothing more than a vacant rag doll. She was being pulled in every direction both physically and emotionally. It was so out of her realm and something she was beginning to think was more than she had bargained for. 

 

After hours of being their muse, she never knew sitting there and doing nothing could be so exhausting. But as she looked down at her dress she was in awe. She looked like a superstar in her black long lacey dress that hugged every curve in the right way. The makeup also made her look so alive with the golden dust as she called it, that was heavily put on her face down to her shoulders. Her hair had loose curls and was pulled half up, a style she would most likely never achieve. Turning to her side, she didn't know what the purpose was for the dress if it was going to droop all the way down to her lower back. Letting her freshly manicured fingers brush her stray hairs aside, she didn't know how to take it all in. 

"Here you are my lady," the seamstress said as she handed Minzy a pair of sweats just like she promised. Minzy bowed as she thanked her, but the seamstress shook her head and reached out to help her back up quickly, "You are a lady of the king's court. The only person you bow to is the king, no one else." 

Minzy felt her chest tighten as the instructions sounded odd. She had become accustom to bowing and showing respect and now she was being asked to be and do something that made her feel uncomfortable, "Even so, thank you. Thank you all." The seamstress chuckled and shook her head, knowing very well Minzy was in for a rude awakening as they all left her to herself.

After the last person filed out, she sighed as she sat to herself. Compared to her old room, things in this new room felt more isolating. She didn't know why one person would need all of this space. Standing to her feet as a knock came at the door she looked to see it open. The servant bowed before letting her know that dinner was ready. Pressing her lips tightly together, she forgot about meal times for the highly esteemed. It was a social gathering event really, only vaguely taking note of it when she first came into the king's service. Letting the servant open the door for her, she walked into the grand hall where other subjects of the king were all mingling with one another. Of course it would grow completely silent as she stepped in. Taking courage, she walked in fully aware of all the eyes on her. Taking a seat at the nearest table, she was grateful it was empty. 

"Would you like to feed from a living host or out of a champagne glass," a servant asked as he motioned to the various humans that were dressed just as elegant as she was. She couldn't understand why they were so willing to be fed off of, but she knew there were weirder things to consider. "I'm vegan," Minzy winked at the servant hoping he'd understand. 

"Champagne glass and animal blood coming right up," he bowed to take his leave. Quickly returning with a chilled wine bottle as well as a champagne glass, he was ready to pour it before she raised her hand. 

"Thank you, I can pour it myself," she smiled as she popped the lid and poured her a full glass. Taking a whiff of the blood, it was chilled and smelt like a fresh kill from this morning. "Maybe another bottle will have me set for the night," Minzy asked to which the servant nodded to fulfill her wish. Sipping on the cool liquid, she exhaled deeply as her senses tingled. Was it a lion? No maybe it was a bear? Whatever the kill was, it tasted delicious and strong just like she liked it. Grateful for the next bottled wine that was placed upon her table, she heard one of the servants announce the king's arrival. Gulping the last of the blood from her glass, she stood with others who had been sitting. Bowing as the king entered, she didn't gaze up until the king had called for them to be at ease. Subconsciously gazing up towards the king's direction, she was surprised to see Mino staring straight at her. It was like his gaze was locked onto her and she didn't know how to react as she tore her gaze away and looked down at the wine bottle on her table. 

"Thanks for bringing him home," a sweet voice chimed. 

Minzy gazed up to see a beautiful blonde standing beside her, "Excuse me?" 

"Thank you for bringing home our future king and my future husband," the woman gave Minzy a forced smile.

Minzy could sense there was an underlying tone in her words, but she pretended not to hear it. "I was just completing a mission." 

"Are you sure there's no alter motive," the woman eyed her suspiciously. 

"And what would this alter motive be lady..." 

"Chaerin," Lady Chaerin answered. Shrugging she turned her gaze towards Mino's direction. "I just wanted to make sure that you're not just trying to stick around for something you won't ever have."

Minzy scoffed as she grabbed the full bottle of blood before shaking her head, "Your techniques are not scary. Have a good night lady Chaerin." Taking her leave, she was grateful to have an excuse to leave come looking for her before she could look for it. Allowing the servant to open the door for her exit, she popped the bottle and took a swig. Shivering at its deliciousness, she asked to be shown to where the gardens were from there. Gladly letting a servant guide her down the halls, she thanked him as she entered the bush arch way. Inhaling the soft flowery fragrance, she grinned as she looked to see the moon shining brightly. Letting the moonlight guide her through the tall bushes, she found herself in the center of the garden. There was that old cherry blossom tree with a cement bench faced towards a lovely coy fish pond she had grown so familiar with. Remembering the first time she had found this place, it was after she had slaughtered the werewolf pack that had taken everything she had. Even after getting her revenge it never amounted to the complete loss of being without her family and completely alone. Drinking more from the bottle, she let out a heavy sigh as she watched the fish swim as she took a seat at the bench. 

"Is the king's court not as entertaining as those fish you're watching," Mino asked as he stepped into view. She shrugged as he came to take a seat next to her, taking the bottle in hand he smiled, "Can I have some?" She nodded as she stayed looking at the pond. Hearing him gulp down a lot, she looked up to see him give a dramatic sigh of relief. "Wow that's good stuff!" A smear of blood was apparent on the side of his mouth, motioning to the spot, he appeared confused. "Huh?"

Rolling her eyes, she remembered how he had reacted the last time from when she had the blood off of him. Instead, she settled by  the pad of her thumb and reaching out to wipe away the stain from the corner of his mouth. "You're a messy eater."

Before she could move her hand away, he moved to stay her hand. Taking her thumb to the blood off of it, he happily smiled as he then pressed her hand against his warm cheek. She didn't understand why he always felt warm to her every time she touched him. He was such a mystery to her as he stared at her with admiration, "You look very beautiful tonight."

The way his honey brown eyes glowed in the moonlight was breath taking, but she wouldn't admit to that out loud. "So does lady Chaerin," she countered as she withdrew her hand and looked away from him. She could honestly care less about the woman, but it was the first thing that came to mind to shield herself from engaging in a conversation about herself. 

"Lady Chaerin," he repeated, confused as to what she had to do with his compliment towards her. 

Minzy nodded as she took the bottle and drank, "Yeah, she says you're her future husband."

"Did she now," Mino asked, sounding amused. 

Minzy scoffed as she scrunched her face up at him, "Yeah she did, so go be with your future wife." 

"And what would you have me do if I find my future wife," Mino asked.

She sighed not knowing why he had to keep answering with a question, "I don't know, love her, take good care of her, and make sure she's never alone for forever and a day." She thought that maybe Mino could inflict her life sentence onto someone more willing to submit to his demands. But then again she wasn't so sure she wanted to wish that for lady Chaerin since she seemed to be a brat on her first interaction. 

"Should I give her a big diamond ring on my coronation day," he suggested. 

"Uh...I wouldn't do a big diamond ring that's to be expected. I would rather have a simple gold band," Minzy thought thinking that lady Chaerin didn't need something bigger than her ego already was. 

"No diamond," Mino eyed her suspiciously. "Every girl loves her diamonds."

Maybe at one time Minzy had fancied diamonds, but over the many years of living it became more of a cliche. Minzy shook her head as she pressed her lips tightly together as she thought how best to describe it, "the band is a loving reminder of what someone would rather wear on their arm. A loyal and loving husband, that's enough flashy and bling bling a girl needs to show off." Grinning at her explanation, she gave herself a mental pat on the back. Thinking back to her parents, she remembered how her mother had a simple gold band. Somehow her father was able to find the means to get her mother a ring when they were all enslaved. To which her mother had never taken it off, even in death. The thoughts of seeing her lifeless mother's hands, she died fully aware of being in love and being loved to the very end.  

"Interesting take," Mino said amazed. Standing to his feet, he held out his hand towards her, "It's getting late should I you back to your quarters?" 

Taking her bottle in one hand, she sighed as she pushed her sad thoughts aside. Letting him take her hand and help her onto her feet, he draped her arm over his as he escorted her back into the castle. Quietly walking, she was grateful that he didn't try to force a conversation as they found themselves at her doors that were opened by the servants. Reluctently removing her arm that had grown comfortable on his, she smiled. "Thank you." 

"The pleasure is all mine," he smiled brightly as he bowed and took his leave. 

Closing her door, she sighed as she turned to look at the massive room. The feelings of isolation and lonliness filled her mind until she spotted her newly acquired outfit. Flinging her dress off, she gladly slipped into the comfortable sweats and rolled up in the covers of the bed. Letting out an excited shiver, she felt comforted being in warm and comfy sweats. 

 

Minzy groaned at the rude awakening of the sunlight bursting through her windows. Growling at the burn, she rolled towards the other side of the bed to escape it. Reaching for the bottle of blood, she let out a sigh of relief drinking the warm blood. It wasn't as fresh tasting, but it was still pretty good. Moving out of bed to pull the drapes shut, she turned to hear a knock at the door. As the door opened, it was the seamstress with the team again. "My lady are you alright," the seamstress was quickly by Minzy's side to examine her sizzling skin. 

"I'm fine, I just need some sun block lotion," Minzy waved her off. 

Everyone gasped as they shook their heads displeased at what they were hearing, "No my lady. You will get a spa treatment." Clapping her hands, the seamstress had everyone rushing towards Minzy and led her into her bathroom. Opening a closet that she had not noticed before, they set up a massage table as the others went about setting up a nice bath. "As a lady of the king's court you'll get injections." 

"Injections," Minzy gasped. She was unsure that she had heard right. Being only but a lowly servant they were given the bare minimum and injections weren't heard of until she had come into the service of the king. In fact she thought they were a myth that servants went on about just to stir something up.  

The seamstress nodded, "Yes, after you bathe we'll give you a body massage with the injection that will end in a soak." 

"Okay," Minzy said unsure. 

"Don't worry you'll love it," the seamstress assured her as she tried to not focus on Minzy standing in her sweats. 

 

After her nice bath, she rolled her eyes when she was told she had to lay in the for the best results of the massage. Laying face down, she waited until she heard the group return. "Alright my dear, I'm going to inject it in the middle of your spine. It's going to feel a little weird." Scrunching her face up at the hollow pain from the pinch in her back, she trembled at the cool rush that ran down her spine. "Good, now just relax and let them massage it in." Quietly laying still, she liked how the pairs of hands started from that tingling sensation from the middle of her back and worked its way out. "Think of it as botox for vampires," the seamstress said as she made her way back into MInzy's room. The botox feeling spread like butter along her body and she couldn't help the soft hum of approval that escaped her lips. 

 

The off white gown she wore made her look like an angel straight from the heavens above. Not to mention the soft glow she had from the injection. The seamstress who she now had learned her name was Bom, had told her it was one of the by products of getting an injections. The injection lasted for three months compared to the lotion that needed to be reapplied every couple of days. Thanking her beauty team that continued to insist that she not do so, she grinned as she was escorted towards the grand hall where all the others were probably mingling and talking about who knows what. She didn't really care for it as she gladly took the empty table nearest to the exit. Asking the first servant that had approached her table for two bottles of animal blood, she took a gaze about the room. There were a handful of people, most of which she gratefully didn't recognize due to always keeping her head down. But when she locked eyes with lady Chaerin, she inwardly groaned as she did her best to glance anywhere else. 

"Lady Minzy you look...," lady Chaerin gave her up and down look before giving her a curt smile and excusing herself as she waved at someone else. 

Letting out a soft sigh of relief, Minzy nodded to the servant who placed a wine glass along with two chilled bottles of blood. As she was about to reach for the nearest bottle, it was whisked away and popped open. Mino flashed his pearly whites at her, pouring her a glass before taking another glass that was given to him to pour his own. "Can you not get your own bottle," Minzy eyed him as he shrugged and took a seat next to her before sipping from his glass. 

"I'm just helping you watch your figure, even though I think you would look kind of cute chubby," he teased. 

Rolling her eyes, she chugged her glass before taking the bottle and drinking straight from it. Letting out an exaggerated sigh of relief, she smiled brightly, "Why would I need to watch my figure? I don't need to look good for anyone but myself." 

"You don't wanna try and look good for your future king," he questioned her. 

Minzy pretended as if to really think about it before shaking her head, "Nope not at all." 

"Image is everything in the king's court," Mino tried to explain. 

But Minzy didn't take the bait as she wasn't fully convinced of her new title and how the king's court functioned, "Honestly though, what is the purpose of the king's court? Besides image what do these vampires bring? Skills and talents?" Shaking her head she continued, "No that's for the cloaks as well as everyone else who makes this kingdom run so smoothly."

"So say you were king, how would you run things," Mino asked. 

"First, I would remove this ridiculous king's court class. Everyone must pull their weight in whatever talents, skills or trades they know and that is most beneficial to the coven. The cloaks may continue to carry out top secret missions, but every member should be able to fight if needed and defend themselves if needs be. There's also the king's orders..."

"Whoa I didn't see all that coming," Mino held up his hand to stop her as he chuckled. He found her so intriguing, one moment she was full of opinions and other times she was very cautious and reserved. Shaking his head, he stood on his feet and extended a hand out to her. "Will you please dance with me?" At his question, there came the soft melody that started to fill the room as the orchestra band began to play. Not waiting for an answer, he tugged lightly on her hand and it had her up on her feet.

Wanting to refuse him, she noticed the glaring eyes of lady Chaerin watching her every move. She no longer had a choice in the matter as she took hold of Mino's hand and followed. Moving towards the center of the grand hall, she noticed others following before she was spun in a circle and into his embrace. Placing her arms onto his shoulders, she stiffly began to step side to side as Mino let his hands rest upon her hips. Swaying to the soft melody, she watched lady Chaerin shooting daggers through her eyes in her direction. Amused to see how lady Chaerin looked to another man and gave him a stern look, that damned soul was quick to rushing to lady Chaerin's side as he escorted her onto the dance floor. Feeling for that poor damned soul, her attention was brought back to the man staring down at her. "What?"

"Do you know how to do the waltz," he asked as he gazed over to the band and nodded to them to change the flow of music. The music flowing into her ears had her subconsciously taking Mino's hand in one as the other stayed rested on his shoulder. Pressing her lips tightly together her mind was racing as she let him take the lead as they graciously floated across the dance floor. "Wow you're really good at this."

"I had a good teacher," Minzy tried to not sound so sad as every move was executed with precision. Luckily the song had come to an end and everyone started to applaud the band. Pulling away and doing the same, Minzy felt relieved that she didn't have to push the subject further. She didn't know why she kept finding herself slipping back into her past when she was around him and she didn't like it one bit. 

"Prince Mino may I have the next dance," lady Chaerin sweetly blinked as she had long forgotten the man she had been dancing with. 

Minzy smiled at Mino, "Thanks for the dance." Taking the chance to make her exit, she walked back to her table to retrieve the unopened bottle and helped herself out of the grand hall. She had a good memory, refusing an as she made her way out to the garden area. Taking a seat at the bench, she stared at the coy fish swimming and thought about when she had first learned the waltz. 

Being enslaved took away a lot from Minzy and her family, but that didn't stop her father from finding the simple joys of life. After a long and hard days work, everyone was exhausted and barely holding it together as they all sat next to the small fire. Minzy looked down at her bruised and dirty hands, it had become such a normal thing but today was harder on her. She was tired of being worked to the bone and wanted a way out. Letting the tears of frustration fall from her eyes and into the palms of her hands, she looked to her father who had come to take her hands. Brushing her tears away, he explained to her that one day she would not suffer like this, that she would be swept off her feet by some charming man and live happily ever after. As far fetched as that dream sounded, she asked her father how that could happen. His answer was to dance. Pulling her tired body up, he explained to her that she needed to learn the waltz. It was the dance of courting and ultimately the dance of love. Chuckling at how he joked of it being how he wooed her mother, her hummed the tune as he began to teach her the dance. 

Looking at her hands now, they were clean, manicured even like some kind of princess. Envisioning her father teaching her to dance while the rest laughed and smiled, she didn't know it at the time but it was a moment that would stay with her forever. Letting a stray tear fall from her eyes, it was caught in the palm of her hand. This mission made her think about her past more than she'd like. Watching as a cherry blossom fell into her hands, she felt a small smile grace her lips. She knew it was her father telling her that she did him proud in not forgetting the steps she at one point felt she could never get. 

"We have to stop meeting like this," Mino smiled as he found the woman he was looking for. She looked so beautiful like an angel in the night as she glowed with the rays of the moonlight. 

Closing the small flower in her grasp, she shrugged as she sighed, "I was here first." 

"True, may I please sit with you," he gestured to the bench. She nodded knowing very well he would still sit there even if she denied him. "Thank you. It's such a beautiful night out tonight don't you think?" 

"Mino why did you have us dance to the waltz," Minzy softly asked. 

"Umm..." he quietly thought on her question. He couldn't lie that he wanted to dance with the most angelic person within the grand hall, what better dance to choose than the waltz. It was a dance of courting and love, something he wished he could have with this oblivious young woman. "Do you not like the waltz?"

She shook her head as she stayed looking at the pond, "No, I love it." 

Mino was surprised that she had said love. He thought that word was foreign and something he was not expecting, "You do?" 

"Yes I do," she sadly smiled.

Standing to her feet to take her leave, her hand was caught. "Tell me about it," he asked not wanting her to leave. 

"I'd rather not. Goodnight Mino," she hoped he wouldn't press it further. 

"Goodnight Minzy," he said sensing her conflict. Letting her walk away, he wondered how he could convince her to open up to him. As he stood to follow suit his attention was pulled towards the figuring heading his way. Inwardly groaning he looked to see the king giving him an knowing grin. "What?" 

"Brother you're going to suffocate the poor girl if you keep this up," the king shook his head at his love sick brother. "Give her some time to marinate, she'll come around." Sighing, he took a seat on the bench and wondered why he had not come out to enjoy the view of the night sky before. "I knew she would bring you back to me since the day I found her. There was something about her that was so pure and raw that made her too good to pass up."

"So she was nothing but a trap to you," Mino spoke with disgust in his voice. He didn't understand why both his brothers seemed so keen on trapping him into situations that he didn't want to be in. 

"Even if my intent was nothing more than to bait you home it did more than that," the king reminded him. "She's brought out a side to you that I knew you had potential of having." 

"And what is that," Mino asked as he looked to his brother. 

"Someone who is ready to become a king," the king said with confidence. Mino still had his doubts, but he wasn't shaking with fear. Instead his doubts made him question if Minzy was ready to see him become what he was trying to avoid since he could remember. Would she accept him as a king when she was currently rejecting him as himself. "Come brother, we must go see our other brother." 

Mino felt his chest tighten, he was still furious at Jiyong. But the thoughts of Minzy came to mind, reminding him that he was lucky that his brother was even alive. Sighing, he swallowed his pride as he followed the king to see their brother.

 

Author's Notes:

We are half way through this go around, yay! I'm trying to start the next set in between working and school so hopefully I'll get that close to done before I finish posting this set. Anyway, thanks for reading! Until the next update...