p5-4

The Odds of Us

Minzy reassured Chaerin that she was alright to be left alone. Waving goodbye as she had to user her friend out. She let out a heavy sigh as she was finally left to her own devices. 

 

Minzy slung the bag over her shoulders as she locked the studio up. Turning around she was startled by Mino who stood before her. "Holy ," she breathed, almost dropping her keys. "You scared me," she huffed as she tried to walk away. 

"Where are you going," he called after her. 

"Out," she found herself saying as she stuffed her hands into her hoodie pockets. 

"It's two in the morning, the clubs should be closing soon," he responded as he followed from a safe distance. Rolling her eyes, she didn't say anything as she kept walking and crossing the street making her way to the bus station. "There's no need to run away. I'll be out of your way by the end of this week. I didn't plan to stay that long." 

"So then why are you here," she asked as she plopped down onto the bench feeling her feet pulsing. The pregnancy weight was really making things hard for her at the moment. 

Mino was quiet, as he slowly descended down onto the bench next to her, "I don't blame you for hating me. In fact I hate myself for leaving you on the dock that day." Minzy bit the corner of her lip as she gazed out at the empty streets. "When I saw how happy your boyfriend was to see you and hold you it made me think back to myself and Chaerin. What I would have given to have a second chance. I saw myself in that poor bastard. He deserved a fighting chance that I wished I had. It was the only chance I was willing to give him as I walked away hoping it wouldn't work out and that maybe if the fates would have it I would find my way back to you. It's not the best reason, but I loved you enough to let you see if that guy was really the one for you. Was he?"

"Do you think you really have the right to ask me that question right now," Minzy hissed as she wiped at the stray tear that fell from her eyes. "I don't have time for that, I have a baby on the way."

"We do," he nodded. 

Minzy glared over at Mino, "Don't say we, it's been me since you left." 

"I didn't leave because I wanted to..."

"You still left," she reiterated. "You left and you know what you're leaving again so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and you can keep leaving." 

"So if I stay will you let me," he countered. "Will you let me be there for you and the baby?" 

Minzy stilled as she stared out to the dark night sky. She couldn't really see the stars with all the light pollution from the city. "You can be there for the baby," she relented as she stood back on her swelling feet. Grunting at the pain that flowed through her lower extremeties, she began to shuffle back to the studio. Ignoring the presence of Mino who watched as she locked up and retreated back to her apartment. Letting the duffle bag drop with a thud onto the floor, she let out a sigh of relief when she found herself back onto the bed. She realized then that it was stupid of her to run. She had nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of as she reasoned for why she would stay in the comfort of her bed. 

 

Minzy awoke to the soft knocking at her door. Mumbling incoherently, Chaerin let herself in as she smiled over at Minzy who flung the covers over her head. "Good morning sunshine. Mino brought you breakfast." Minzy's ears perked up at the mention of the man who stalked her the night before. "He bugged me to get it to you since he had a feeling you probably didn't want it delivered by him." She thought it sweet as the covers were pulled from her body. Squinting at the rude awakening, she groaned as she felt the bed dip down signifying that Chaerin had sat next to her. "C'mon now, let's get you fed and up for the day. We have a yoga class and then a spa appointment." 

"I'd rather stay stretched in my bed," she grumbled as she tried to reach for her blanket to get denied by Chaerin. 

"He thought of that too, he said you were out really late last night but had convinced you to return home. Mind telling me where you were off to so late at night," Chaerin asked suspiciously. 

Minzy forced her swelling body to sit up as she snatched the bag from Chaerin and stuffed the food into . Rolling her eyes as Chaerin stayed with an expectant look she sighed before swallowing what was in , "Okay I was going to run away. But after realizing that I couldn't do much with my swelling feet and aching back I came back. I don't see the point of running away if I can't run." 

Chaerin chuckled at the thought of Minzy waddling away, "I'm glad you realized that and now that I know who the stupid baby daddy is I am more inclined to be by your side. We are practically sister in laws now." 

Minzy stopped eating as she glanced over to Chaerin as sweet as it sounded to be her sister in law she wasn't so sure. She had seen Chaerin as her confident and only true friend currently in her life. But now knowing what ties she held to Mino she wasn't sure if she could say the same about Chaerin. "I'll be fine...I can take care of myself. You don't have to be here," Minzy choked out. She had to see, test the waters to see where Chaerin stood. 

Understanding Minzy's hesitation Chaerin grinned, "Don't you think for a second that I'm ever choosing sides. I love you both individually and will not let my ties to Mino influence my ties to you. So yes I have to be here. Not because Mino asked me to, but because I care for you and my little nephew okay?"

Minzy blinked back the tears as she ate more, "Alright."

"Now eat up and then get dressed for yoga," Chaerin said as she pulled out her phone making a few phone calls.

 

Minzy had pulled her hair up in a messy bun with comfortable stretchy black pants and a tank top that was barely covering her belly. Gazing over at Chaerin who looked a little too nice with her fitted jeans and white blouse, she shook her head knowing that if she wore that there would be no yoga just pure hell. Walking into the building, she didn't know what to expect as she followed Chaerin into the classroom. Glancing around there was surprisingly amount of men in the room. Now she wasn't trying to be biased her anything, but stereotypically she thought it would be just women. Taking in the class as the instructor walked in with a male partner, she realized as she was grabbing a mat that all the women were pregnant outside of the instructor and Chaerin. Fairly impressed by the women who came all glammed up, there were others that came comfortably dressed and bare face like her which made her feel more comfortable as she laid her mat out. Gazing over to Chaerin who placed a mat next to hers, Chaerin mouthed an "I'll be back." 

Confused by her abrupt leave, Minzy didn't have time to argue as the instructor hit the gong and told everyone that there is no talking allowed. The only talking allowed was the instructor's voice and even then the instructor wanted everyone to be more in tune with their own bodies. Encouraging the students to connect with their own bodies as well as their partner's. Glancing over, she frowned noticing the empty mat as the instructor began with deep breathing. Mimicking the instructor, she placed her plams together in front of her chest as she focused on slowing her breathing. Being conscious of every breath as the instructor said, she moved into the first position and bit the corner of her lip as it felt so good to have such a deep stretch. Continuing each move, she had long forgotten Chaerin's absence as she zoned out everyone and enjoyed the pleasures of meditation.

It wasn't until the instructor had told them to turn to their partners that Minzy had turned to see that Chaerin was still gone. Feeling a little disheartened, she tried to do what the instructor asked as she held her hands up as if pressing her palms to where Chaerin should be standing. Connecting to one another, Minzy along with the class was told to close their eyes and to feel the connection. So to appease her teacher and also not feel so bummed about doing this alone, she closed her eyes and imagined pressing her palms against another's. Feeling the other person's energy, Minzy was startled as she felt the palms of another against her very own. Grinning at Chaerin's impeccable timing, she felt more confident in following through with the instructor's words. Feeling the energy of her partner, it was time to see that energy as they were encouraged to open their eyes. Slowly opening her eyes, she was met by seas of honey brown mixture into dark rich colored brown eyes. She felt her heart skip a beat as Mino stood staring down at her with his palms against her very own. She was so confused by his sudden appearance, she didn't realize that she was trying to pull away from him when she felt his fingers intertwine with hers to hold her in place. "Stay," he mouthed with pleading eyes. 

"Why," she grumbled to receive harsh looks from all around and especially from the teacher who was glaring in her direction. Pressing her lips into a thin line, she was ready to leave as the instructor told them all that they were half way through the work out. It would be a waste of time if one would leave in the middle of it all. Understanding that statement was meant for her, she shook her hands free of him and turned to face forward. She so wanted to up and leave, but she didn't want to cause a scene more than she already had. Waiting for the next pose, she inwardly groaned as the instructor moved in front of her male partner and leaned back as she allowed him to wrap his arms underneath her pits and around her chest to hold her before squatting. The instructor informed them to truly feel the pose one had to fully trust their partner and relax against one another. Minzy bit her lip and glanced over to Mino who stood in place awaiting her next move. Begrudingly she moved in front of him and raised her arms, allowing him to slip his strong ones around her chest it was almost as if he were giving her a warm back hug. It made her feel all jittery inside as she kept her arms up and tried to squat on her own, but the weight of her belly was a little too much for her legs to bare today as she felt them ready to give out. As if on cue, her arms came down to rest upon Mino's as she felt him hold her against him to stop her from descending any further. Slowly raising her back up with him, he made it look as if they were only following instructions rather than Minzy almost falling to the ground. Holding onto him as she tried to keep her balance, she was grateful that he stood awaiting her patiently. Giving him an apologetic grin, she received a nod that it was okay before they continue to follow the yoga workout. 

 

Minzy was surprised just how sweaty she was after the yoga class. She felt like she got a great work out as she put away her mat and made her way out of the classroom. Grateful for the water bottles that were provided at the end of it all. She gulped hers down and let out a sigh of relief as she tossed the bottle in the trash. "Here are you still thirsty," Mino asked as he held out his water bottle towards her.

"Thanks," she mumbled, not being able to deny her thirst as she took the water bottle from him. Taking a couple of sips to make sure it lasted longer than the last one, she glanced around, "Where is Chaerin?" 

"She had some things to take care of. She asked me to take you to your spa thing afterward," he offered up way too quickly for it to be the truth. 

Minzy shrugged as she looked at the time, "You probably have better things to do. I can go alone." 

"No I don't, I actually have the whole day free," he shrugged and laughed nervously. "So...if you don't mind I'd like to join you for the spa day. I've been stressing these last few months over someone and feel like a good massage or mud bath will help me relax." 

"Going on more cruises and vacations sound very stressful," she said sarcastically. "I wish I had that kind of stress in my life. Instead I'm stressed over a guy who left me and thinks he can come back in my life as quickly as he came in the last time." Feeling her temper rising, she waved off the thought, "On second thought I just want to go home..."

"Then let me take you home. I can bring the spa to your home if it is easier," he suggested. 

"No," she simply said as she made her way out of the building. 

"Minzy don't be difficult please," he called after her before falling into step with her. "Let me take you home." 

She was really hating her aching feet and back right now as she made her way to a bus stop. Frustrated by no bench, she leaned upon the post for support. "No," she said again. 

Mino huffed as he ran his fingers through his hair, "Hate me but let me take you home." When she didn't say anything, he turned to leave which allowed her to finally breathe. Clutching onto the cool metal, she felt her eyes mist up. She was an emotional wreck as she thought about how easily he gave up. She thought about how if he had asked her one more time she would give in and let him take her home. Instead he had left and now she had to wait for God knows how long for the stupid bus to show up. Seeing the slick black sports car that pulled up, she stiffened as Mino hopped out of the car and walked around to open the passenger side. "Come on, you've worked hard in yoga this morning. I know you must be tired." He wasn't lying, the class pushed her past her limits as she leaned onto the bus post for support. "Please be considerate of the baby," he softly spoke as if it were his last resort. Finally giving in to the pressures of her exhausted body and the continual pestering, she made her way towards the car and slowly eased herself into it. When Mino had closed her door, she let out a sigh of relief to be off her feet. Relaxing in his air conditioned comfy car, she quietly buckled up and sat staring out the window as he got in. Grateful to not be pressured into a conversation, she leaned her head upon the cool glass of her window and closed her eyes.

Maybe it was the yoga class or the fact that she was standing for a hot minute after the exhausting class, whatever the reason she found herself fast asleep. Struggling to move as she felt the car come to a stop and turn off, she was in some kind of sleep paralysis. Barely conscious and somewhat aware of her situation, she felt her body being lifted into strong arms. Slowly opening her heavy eye lids, she tried to muster out a few words that she could stand on her own. But the only thing that fell from her lips were the soft grunts of approval as Mino respectfully told her that he was going to open the studio. Not understanding how he had a key to her studio, it was pushed out of her mind as in the next conscious moment she was placed in the comforts of her firm matress. Clutching onto him as she felt herself drifting back to unconsciousness, she tried to thank him as the world went black.

 

Minzy awoke entangled in the arms of Mino. She smiled to herself as she looked at his sleeping boyish face. She wondered what adventures they would go on today as she used her clutched fingers onto his shirt to pull her closer to him. Brushing her lips against his strong jawline, this was her favorite part of their adventures together. Waking up before him and seeing him lying next to her as if this was a norm. A norm that seemed to be awoken by the truth as she felt the kick in her belly. Gazing down she was brought back to the reality of her situation as she moved her hands over her bulging belly. Kick. Biting the corner of her lip she knew what baby was saying. Baby knew exactly what was happening. The baby was happy that its parents were finally together. She couldn't contain the excitement of feeling the baby move for the first time, she took Mino's hand and placed it over her belly. Kick. Grinning as she felt Mino cup her belly tenderly, she placed her hand next to his and chuckled as the baby kicked again. 

"I think baby is hungry," Mino yawned as he shuffled over to brush his lips against her belly. "Me too," he spoke to her tummy which made her laugh. "Should we go and get something to eat or should I order in," Mino asked as sat up. 

Minzy shrugged, honestly liking the comfort of her bed as well as Mino. But she wouldn't voice the second one, not out loud, "I think I'm going to order in." 

"Oh, excuse me. Sorry for trying to include myself. I mean it is the least you can do since you had be trapped here until you woke up," he said hoping she'd take the bait.

She sighed as she looked to see that she had indeed held him hostage for a couple of hours. "It was unintentionally...but even so, I guess the least I can do is feed you."

"Great, I know just the food to order," he smiled. 

 

Minzy had inhaled her food and in the process consumed half of Mino's food, but he didn't mind as he encouraged her to eat up. She was grateful that he didn't for eating like a ravenous monster, but she was hungry. Burping after guzzling water at the end of it all, she chuckled as he gave her a thumbs up. "At least I know my baby isn't starving." 

"Yes, thank you," Minzy grinned. "Mino..." she started and watched as his eyes flickered with interest. 

"Yeah?" 

"For the baby's sake, let's be good to each other. Though it was unintentional, I intend to give our baby the world. I will put aside my diferences so that our child will have both of us in his life. How do you feel about that," she asked. 

"His life," Mino questioned. 

Minzy shrugged as she placed a loving hand on her belly, "Chaerin thinks it's a boy and so it kind of just stayed with me." 

Mino could see the sincerity in her words as she softly rubbed her belly, "Alright let's be good to each other." 

"Thank you," she said as she stared down at her belly. She hated just how easily she was brought to tears and kept staring down to better grasp her emotions. "Did you hear that? We're going to be good to each other so you be good to me alright," she spoke to her belly. 

 

Even though she was now a little more than five months pregnant, she still had to make a living. Sitting on the chair as she watched her class reherse their little hearts out, she clapped and cheered them on as she gave them a quick break. Hearing the door chime, she looked to see a young woman come in. Forcing herself up on her aching feet, she waddled over to the door surprised to see who it was. "Lisa," Minzy gasped in confusion. 

"Minzy," Lisa breathed in disbelief as she walked over and embraced her. "What the hell are you doing here? And you're pregnant?! You and Bobby must be living the dream now." 

Minzy's smile faultered as she shrugged, "I'm not with Bobby anymore." 

"Oh I'm sorry," Lisa blushed with embarassment. "I just thought..." 

"It was recent," Minzy nodded in understanding. "So what can I do for you," Minzy asked wanting to get off the subject, especially with all the mothers watching like a hawk. 

"This is your dance studio," Lisa asked to which Minzy nodded. "Wow what are the chances? I'm here for the interview. I would like to apply for the co-teaching position." 

"The co-teaching position," Minzy repeated in confusion as she glanced over to Chaerin who came rushing over. "Chaerin do you know what she is talking about? She says that there was a co-teaching position posted." 

Chaerin shrugged as she raised her hands, "It wasn't me." 

As if on cue, Mino walked in with a smile on his face, "Are you Lisa?" The three women turned around to face him. "Are you here to apply for the co-teaching position?" 

"Yes, yes I am," Lisa smiled brightly. 

Minzy cut in as she glared at Mino, "Can I have a word with you?" Mino pointed to himself innocently as she nodded, "Yes you. Let's go talk in my apartment." Softening her gaze to Lisa, she encouraged her to sit with the mothers and asked Chaerin to take over. Walking up the stairs, she groaned as she finally found herself in the apartment with Mino trailing right behind her. Finding herself sitting on her bed to be more comfortable, she glared over at Mino again, "What the hell are you doing?!"

"What do you mean, aren't you glad you get to work with a friend from the past? It showed that you both attended the same college and clubs..."

"How do you even know that," she spat before raising her hand to stop herself. "Even so, I have no way of paying for her..."

"I'll be paying for her as well as her insurance," he cut in. "You don't have to worry about that stuff. Just worry about training her and making sure she is the best fit for expanding your studio." 

She shook her head as she pinched her nose. She was getting pissed off and she was having a hard time containing it, "Mino why are you doing this?!" 

"Isn't it obvious, it's for the baby. You can barely make it up the damn stairs and you're sitting most of the class so the kids aren't getting proper training they deserve..." Minzy was a blubbering mess as his words rang true in her ears. It had been hard on her body to keep walking the damn stairs. But it was also hard for her students who patiently awaited their teacher to show them the next move and how to perfect it. She felt like a failure as she cried. "Minzy..." Mino spoke softly.

"I get it," she snapped through her tears. "My fat can't do . Sorry it's so hard. I've never been pregnant before. I didn't expect this..." 

Mino came to wrap his arm around her and pull her close to him. Holding her against him, he kissed the top of her head. "This was not my intentions. I just wanted to help. I really want you to take care of yourself in these trying times. You're carrying our baby and that's a lot of responsibility in of itself."

She cried into his chest as she let him hold her. She needed that comforting touch, even though she couldn't say it out loud. "Then next time ask me before you do something like that for me instead of springing it on me." 

"Okay I will," he said never really having to ask for permission for much in his life. "So what, should we hire her?" 

"Yes, she's one of the best and you better be paying her well," she added. 

"Don't worry I will make sure it is fair," he grinned liking how she fit so well against him. "Do you want me to break the news to her or would you like to?" 

"Send her up with Chaerin," Minzy said as she pulled away from him. 

"Okay," he said as he stood to leave.

"Mino," she called after him before he could leave. Watching as he turned to look at her she grinned, "Thank you." 

"Yeah, don't mention it," he nodded as he left. 

Chaerin walked in with Lisa following right behind. "Hi Lisa come and have a seat," she motioned for her to sit at the kitchen table. But Chaerin upped her one and brought the chair over next to Minzy's bed before sitting next to her. "Thanks," Minzy smiled before looking at Lisa. "So tell me when can you start?"

Lisa stared at her wide eyed, "Wait, are you saying I got the job?" 

Minzy nodded as she heard Lisa squeal with excitement, "Yes you do." 

"I can start right now," Lisa smiled brightly. 

"Perfect, I'll have Chaerin show you around and introduce you to the kids. I'll have Chaerin finish out practice and then afterward I want you to help her clean up. You can come back here tomorrow around three so we can talk about the up coming recital. How does that sound?"

"It sounds like a dream come true. Thank you Minzy, I promise you I won't let you down," Lisa beamed brightly. 

"I know you won't," Minzy smiled as the two were on the way out. "Chaerin if it isn't too much trouble could you please pick me up something to eat?"

"Yeah," Chaerin nodded as she waved goodbye leaving Minzy to relax in bed.