p5-1

The Odds of Us

Minzy bit her lower lip and wondered where the hell her boyfriend was. He was late and the cruise ship was getting ready to take off. "Ma'am," the woman smiled. "We have to leave now." 

Feeling her phone buzz, she looked to see it was a text from her boyfriend. Sorry I can't make it. I love you but I can't leave work. Hope you can understand. She felt her heart shatter as she tossed her phone into the water and walked the plank onto the cruise ship. Ignoring the pity that shone in the woman's eyes, she handed her her ticket and followed one of the crew members to her room. Leaving her suit case by her door, she flopped face down onto the bed. Burying her face in the pillows, she let the tears fall from her eyes. 

Minzy couldn't believe she had thrown her phone into the water, she obviously was not thinking as she found herself staring up at the ceiling. Sighing as she rolled over after awaking from her pitiful nap, she gazed over at the table to see the various treats she had ordered to spend their first night romantically cuddling and possibly doing something a little more that would have them staying in their room. Rolling her eyes, she walked over to the table and snatched up some of the snacks and began to stuff her face before making her way back into bed. Shaking her head, she couldn't believe she was going to be on a cruise for an entire month alone. No phone, no one, just herself on this stupid cruise Bobby had surprised her with at the beginning of the year. She was on the verge of leaving him, because she felt there was no point in being in a relationship by herself. But instead of backing out, she became consumed in planning for this get away trip that was all planned and paid for by him. Shaking her head she closed her eyes and tried to block out the pain she felt of trusting him so. 

After three days of being locked up in her room, she frowned seeing that she had run out of all the snacks. Feeling her stomach grumbling, she knew it was time to get out and eat some decent food. Taking a well needed shower, she frowned as she looked through her suitcase and found that she had only packed cute outfits. Pushing them all aside, she grinned to herself as she found a pair of sweats and a long t-shrit as a just in case for pajamas. Pulling them on, she snuggled into her comfortable attire and made her way out of the room.

Finding a couple of maps, she made her way towards the bar figuring maybe a drink or two would help loosen her up. Not caring for how under dressed she appeared to look compared to everyone else, she walked up to the bar and took a seat. It was pretty sparce as she looked to see that it was ten o'clock in the morning. Shrugging she looked to see a guy dressed in all white cleaning up what looked to be a spill on the counter. "Umm excuse me," she waved to get his attention. He looked up to meet her gaze and she was blown away by how handsome his face was. Not to mention how his dark brown eyes made her melt and self conscious that she had not dressed better. Inwardly scolding herself for checking out the bar tender, she grinned, "Hi can I get a drink?" 

The man looked to be somewhat confused as he pointed to himself before looking around, "Me?" 

She chuckled and nodded, "Yeah can I get a drink?" 

He looked around again and she thought it was amusing, "Is it too early for me to get one?" 

The man chuckled as he shook his head, "No, it's never too early when you're on vacation." Shrugging he made his way around the counter and smiled, "What can I get you?" 

Tapping her fingers onto the counter she shrugged, "Something sweet yet strong, two things I don't feel at the moment." 

"Oh," he raised his eyebrow up at her as he turned to gaze. "Are you not enjoying your vacation so far," he asked as he went about looking at the different alcohols closely. 

Finding it somewhat amusing that he seemed to not know what he was doing, she shrugged, "Well let's just say this is the first time out of my room." 

The bar tender gazed around and Minzy grinned as she pointed to the glasses on the the shelf, "Thanks." Picking up the shot glasses, he lined them up and started to pour the vodka careful not to spill. "We've been on the cruise for two days and you haven't been out of your room? You must be very upset at your lover to not enjoy the amenities." 

She sighed deeply as she picked up the first shot, "So upset, I think that we're over." 

"Over? Why would you say that," he pressed further as he leaned against the bar to stare at her. 

"Well..." she weighed the options of disclosing what had all gone down and figured she needed to get it off her chest. "I'm here on my own."

"You left him," he questioned her. 

"More like he left me," she revealed as she began to tell him of her relationship with Bobby.

As she kept talking, he kept filling her glasses. Apprectiating his attentive nature, she chuckled as he came around and sat next to her. "So he has been choosing work over you?" 

"Basically," she shrugged. "I know he is a hard working man and that there is no other woman on the side it's just..."

"It's hard being in a relationship by yourself," he asked to which she nodded. 

"Exactly," she nodded glad that he got where she was getting at. 

He nodded in understanding, "I can say that I was once like your guy. I was consumed in work and wanted to own the world." 

"Did you achieve what you were looking for," she wondered if maybe such ambition would ever be achieved. 

He frowned as he thought on her question, "It wasn't what I expected it to be." 

"Really do tell," she said as she reached over the bar and grabbed some shot glasses to pour for him. 

He chuckled and thanked her for her kind gesture, "I had taken over my father's company and reached my goals I set but at the end of the day I just didn't feel like I had it all. I felt like something was missing." 

Watching him take his shot she grinned, "Have you found what you've been missing?" 

"I don't think so," he sighed as he took another shot. 

"Well I hope you find what you've been looking for," she smiled sincerely as she felt her stomach growl. Sheepishly clutching her stomach, she apologized. "I'm sorry I've been eating nothing but snacks the past few days." 

"There's a restaurant around the way, I can show you it. I was planning on heading there for a late lunch," he offered. 

"Are you sure," she asked as she looked around. "Do you need someone to be here to trade off?" 

"Trade off," he asked confused. 

She found his look of confusion quite endearing, "Yes, aren't you on the clock?" 

Realizing what she was asking, he laughed, "Umm...it should be fine." 

"Maybe I can tip you by buying your late lunch," she offered as she handed him her card to pay for the drinks. 

Abruptly getting up on his feet, he made his way over to the cashier computer and looked at her card before looking back at the screen as if lost. Looking over at her, he shrugged and made his way back handing her her card, "the systems are down, it looks like the drinks are on the house." 

"Wow that's great," she happily said as she stood on her feet. "Then I'm most definitely paying for your lunch, that is if you're okay with it." Holding her hands up to further explain, "And if you want to eat alone I can totally understand..." 

"Of course I'd love to have lunch with you, it's the polite thing to do since you are paying," he grinned as he led the way. 

Minzy felt a little lighter as she stepped out of the bar and let the sun light rays hit her, it was a beautiful sunshining day as she follwed the bar tender. Quietly walking, she realized she had no idea what his name was, "You know what, I didn't catch your name." 

The bar tender that appeared to be towering over her chuckled, "I was just thinking the same thing. My name is Mino and yours?" 

"Minzy," she smiled as they stood in line to wait their turn to be seated. 

"Minzy? That's an interesting name," he smiled.

She nodded as they were led to a table, "My actual name is Minji, but when I was in dance I was renamed Minzy to be more stylish." 

"A dancer huh? What kind of dancing did you do? Ballet," he asked as they browsed over their menus.

She grinned as she thought it funny he would automatically say that, "No not ballet. I'm more of a contemporary dancer, a hip hop dancer to be exact." 

"You're a hip hop dancer," he said amused as he nodded seeing that she was in sweats.

She chuckled as she noticed him eyeing her attire, "Yes and just because I'm a hip hop dancer doesn't mean I always dress like this. I wasn't expecting to look good for anyone." 

He coughed a laugh as he held his hands up, "You only need to look good for yourself. I'm just observing you is all. Besides I have always wanted to learn a little hippity hop dancing." 

Laughing as he horribly imitated some kind of dance move, she shook her head, "Don't do that." 

"Do what," he teased as he continue to dance. 

"Are you folks ready to order," the waiter came to their table. 

"Umm...I'll have the special," she shrugged feeling spontaneous. 

"I'll have what she's having," Mino nodded, still trying to imitate some dance moves as the waiter left. 

She was nearly in tears after laughing so hard, "Stop you're horrible." 

"Then maybe you can teach me a few moves after this. I think there's a club on the second level and I think it's even hip hop night," Mino said to himself as he pulled out a pamphlet from his pocket. "It is," he said happily as he showed her that it was in fact hip hop night. 

She smiled, "Wow what are the odds." 

"I know right, we most definitely have to go to that," he encouraged her with more of his horrible dance moves. 

"What about your work," she giggled. 

He sighed as he tried to think of what to say, "I'm working part time so I have time on my hands. Unless you'd rather go back to snacking alone in your room." 

She scoffed as she looked at him in disbelief, "Harsh." 

"What," he shrugged. "I'm just saying, you're here for a month might as well make the best of it right?" 

Thinking on his words, he was right. She figured why not, if she was going to have fun it would be at Bobby's expense. "Fine, after lunch I'll go get ready so you can work a little bit so people don't think you're slacking on the job." 

He leaned forward and whispered, "Why do you think I'm here? To utilize all the cool amenities." 

She pointed at him knowingly and smiled, "You're a smart man." 

"A smart man that is excited to learn some hip hop moves," he bobbed his head and began to attempt to dance yet again. 

 

Minzy frowned at all her outfits, seeing as most of them were either swim suits or skimpy dresses she did not have the appropriate attire to go hip hop dancing. Grateful to find a pair of tights to go under her very short black dress, she sighed as she placed on her tennis shoes. Finding her way towards the club area, she looked around and smiled as she noticed Mino in dressy slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt. "Wow someone is dressed for some kind of business trip," she teased.

He smiled as he shrugged, "This trip was very last minute. I didn't have time to really pack. Should we head inside?" 

She smiled and nodded, grateful to hear that he too was ill prepared for the trip. Walking inside, it was set just like a club with the lights low, neon lights flashing and music blasting. Chuckling as she saw Mino bobbing his head to the beat of the music she followed along as they made their way to the dance floor. He waved for her to take the lead. Gladly doing so, she listened to the music and began to sway her hips before popping and locking. Soon a crowd started to form around them as Mino tried to imitate her moves and failed miserably as she continue to let the music flow through her body effortlessly. Swirling around and dropping into the splits the crowd roared with awe as she danced her way back up onto her feet and bowed before walking off the dance floor and making her way to the bar to have a seat. 

"That was fun," she breathed as she waved her hand by her feeling hot from all the dancinng. 

"That was amazing," he clapped his hands as he took a seat next to her. "We did great." Minzy errupted with laughter to have him follow suit. "Okay you did great," he finally gave in as he ordered them drinks.

 

Minzy awoke to the throbbing in her head, groaning as she turned into someone she opened her eyes to see a person's bare chest next to her. She was confused as she gazed up to see the guy she had hung out with all day yesterday. Flashes of them drinking the night away and then dragging him into her room made her feel stupid. She had poured her sad little soul out to him and he had so willingly and patiently listened. She begged him to stay the night and he did. Though she thought she had to throw herself at him to get him to do so, he promised that it would be okay, that she didn't need to repay him with her body if that was what she was thinking. 

Shaking her head in shame, she slipped out from his grasp and took a needed shower to help wake her as well as think of a way to explain her drunken actions. Coming out of the shower, she grinned as he stayed fast asleep. Figuring it was the least she could do, she made her way to coffee shop where she was able to get them some coffees and breakfast. Upon returning, she giggled as she heard him let out a soft groan. "Good morning sunshine, I brought you some breakfast." 

"Breakfast in bed sounds amazing," he mumbled as his eyes started to to slowly open. Grinning at the woman who held the tempting coffee out to him, he sat up and gladly accepted it, "Thank you." 

She chuckled as she took her own coffee, "No thank you, I apologize for holding you captive for the day. I didn't mean to bore you with my sad love life." 

He grinned as he reached out to take her hand, "Don't apologize for your feelings. We are sadly in the same boat when it comes to our love lives." 

"Really, how," she was intrigued.

"Like I told you yesterday that I had been consumed with being at the top of the world it came at a cost. I lost the woman who I loved dearly because she got tired of waiting for me. We parted ways and before I realized what she was to me I had lost her to another man. I let her slip through my fingers and if I had a chance I would do it over again," he sadly revealed. "So you see, maybe yesterday was a glimpse of what I made Chaerin go through."

"So insightful," she softly said. Both quietly reflecting on their sad love lives, Minzy thought on the words he had said yesterday. "Let's make a promise."

"A promise?"

She nodded as she stuck her pinkie finger out to him, "Let's forget about our sad love life stories and go crazy with all the amenities on this vacation. I mean with the exception that you still need to work your part time hours and all."

He found it endearing that she would resort back to something so childish,"Okay sounds like a plan." Hooking their pinkies he pressed the pad of his thumb to hers to seal the deal. 

 

Minzy and Mino were laughing their heads off at the romantic film that was playing in the theater. "Boo," she called out as she threw popcorn at the screen. 

"Yeah that's not real life," Mino added on as he grabbed a handful and tossed it over at the screen as well. 

The two were cackling as they mimicked the actors lovely dovey scenes in a mocking manner, causing the few viewers with them to shake their heads and leave. "We want to watch horror movie," Minzy grumbled as she tossed more popcorn at the screen as they actors kissed. 

Suddenly lights were being flashed onto them as they looked to be asked to leave. "Fine, this movie was boring anyway," Minzy said as she got up to move.

"It was just getting good," Mino teased as they both walked out of the theater. "Now what should we do?" 

Minzy pulled out the brochure and crossed off the theater. Gazing at the other activities she grinned, "Should we try some fine dinning?" 

"Fine dinning..."

She held her hand up to stop him, knowing exactly what he would say to it. "Don't worry about it alright. I can pay for it." 

He coughed a laugh as he eyed her, "What, just because I work part time on this cruise ship doesn't mean I can't afford to pay for some good food." 

"It's more like you don't work. We've spent the last couple of days together and not once have you mentioned needing to go work a shift," she eyed him suspiciously. 

"Actually now that you mention it, maybe I should pick up a shift," he held up an index finger as if he had come up with the idea. He shrugged as he turned to leave, "Have fun fine dinning alone." 

She coughed a laugh as she stared at him walking away, "Really?!" 

He paused and quickly turned around shaking his head, "No." Bursting into laughter, she walked up to him and wacked his arm causing him to laugh harder, "You should've seen your face." 

"Ha! Ha," she squinted her eyes up at him. "You're so not funny. I was just saying. I don't know what your financial status is without you working as much. Please don't misunderstand my intentions. I don't want you to feel burdened by hanging out with me." 

Mino grinned seeing the sincerity in her eyes, "So you're saying if I don't work at all you'll support me this whole month?"

"Honestly...yes, we are friends after all," she smiled up at him. 

He nodded, impressed at how confident she was to call him a friend, "Alright friend, I will quit my job and depend solely on our friendship to get us through this month. It means that I have to stay with you and you have to feed me." 

"Hey don't worry, I have been saving for this trip since I thought about it. Now let's go shopping," she took hold of his arm and pulled out her brochure. 

"Shopping? Why would we go shopping," he asked her confused by it all. 

She shrugged, "Friends go shopping together. I mean I didn't come fully prepared to hang out with a friend so my clothing isn't all that great." 

He nodded as he sighed, "I'm not prepared either. All I have are dress slacks and shirts." 

"Perfect we can shop for each other," she said as they walked into the first store. It was Hawaiian themed. Walking up to the nearest rack, she grinned as she pulled out matching aloha shirts that were bright red and orange. Handing them to Mino, she kept walking and grinned seeing matching long shorts. 

"We're going to look like apples and oranges," he teased as he held up the solid colors before her. 

She rolled her eyes and picked out a couple more matching outfits and walked to the counter, "We'd like to buy the rainbow." Mino laughed as he set the outfits he had in hand onto the counter. 

The cashier chuckled as he rang up the various outfits, "Did you try them on?"

"Oh, is there a dressing room here," Minzy smiled. 

"Yeah," the cashier pointed towards the back of the store. 

"We'll be right back," Minzy grinned as she grabbed the outfits and rushed away. "C'mon Mino!" 

"Don't keep your girl waiting," the cashier nodded to Mino. 

"We're friends," Mino tried to say but the cashier was already moving away and occupying himself with boxes. Turning to make his way towards where Minzy had gone, he was surprised by her holding up the bright orange outfit to him. "Thanks," he said as she pointed to the stall next to hers. Walking into the stall, he changed into his outfit that was a bit snug. "Maybe I should get one size up," he called over the stall. 

"Let me see," she called as she walked out of her stall, grinning at the mirrors seeing her full red aloha wear. "Mino," she called again to see his curtain move. Scrunching her nose up at seeing how tight the shirt was, she walked up to him and popped a couple of buttons to allow him to breathe. Giggling at the sigh of relief he let out, she closed the curtain and went to get a bigger size. She went up two sizes and pushed the outfits past the curtain. "Try this." 

"Thanks," he called as he took the clothing. Pulling the curtain open, he extended his hands out to her to show the final result. "What do you think?" 

Clapping her hands, she laughed, "You look like a perfect orange!" 

"And you look like an apple," he teased right back causing the pair to laugh at one another. 

After the pair had switched out some of the sizes, they returned to the cashier to ring up their items. Taking their items in hand, they made their way back to Minzy's room. Dropping the items, the two felt very comfortable in their aloha wear. "Alright let's go get some fine dinning," Minzy grinned. 

"Fine dinning in these," Mino eyed her.

She coughed a laugh and nodded, "What, we're on vacation. We can wear what we want."

"Alright," he shrugged as he went along with it. "I've never dressed like this for fine dinning." 

"Then you haven't been living," she said carelessly. Grinning to herself, she also had never dressed so informal but she felt like today was the day to try new things. Gazing about the various restaurants, she pointed at the one that looked very fancy to her. "That's the one." 

"Whatever you say apples," he said as he walked along side her towards the hostess who hesitantly nodded before showing them into the restaurant. 

Minzy grinned at the various glances they got. Everyone appeared to be in their best dressy outfits, but she didn't care. She was trying new things as they were seated next the windows that overlooked the ocean. "Great spot," she said as she glanced at the freshly printed menus. They were informed that the chef changes the menu every day and most of the dishes were special signature ones. Nodding, Minzy frowned realizing there weren't any prices on the menu. "Excuse me, where is the cost of the items on your menu?" 

The hostess' eyes appeared to bulge for a moment before responding, "Ma'am we pride ourselves in having five star chefs. Our pricing will be given accordingly after you've finished dinning with us." 

Mino could see the frustration playing out on the faces of both women as he spoke up, "Then please allow us a moment to discuss what we'd like to have." Nodding curtly, he looked over to Minzy who was hunched over the table. 

Placing her menu up, she waved for him to move his face closer before she started to whisper loudly, "They're going to rip us off. Let's go somewhere else." 

"But I thought you wanted to try fine dinning," he whispered with her. 

She sighed as she shook her head, "Not like this. C'mon we can sneak away before she comes back..." 

Mino caught hold of her wrist before she could get up from her seat. Thinking quickly he pulled out a card. "Look I still have the company card. We can use this until it runs out." 

"Isn't that stealing," Minzy looked at him wide eyed.

"No, it's fine. I won't quit completely. Just stay. It'll be fine," he told her as the waitress approached. Glancing up at the waitress he grinned, "We'll take the steak." 

"Good choice," the waitress said. 

"And can we get a bottle of champagne? We're celebrating our friendship," he added. 

"Sure can, I will be right back," the waitress said taking both menus. 

When the waitress was out of ear shot, Minzy leaned forward again eyeing him suspiciously, "Mino I thought I was going to support us on this trip?" 

"You are, I'm just paying you back for our outfits," he shrugged. "Now relax and let's just enjoy this please?" 

She pressed her lips into a thin line, unsure of how to feel. Seeing the bottle of champagne placed in a ice and glasses placed before them, she eased up a bit as Mino winked and took the bottle popping it open and rushing it over her glass before it spilt everywhere. Taking the glass in hand, she raised it to his and smiled, "To our friendship!" 

 

Author's Notes:

Damn this took me a hot minute to finish. I have five running ideas and figured which ever one I can finish first would go up. And then I went through this phase of starting another fic that I'm 48 chapters deep but still not finished yet. I was working on that and I am proud to say I haven't posted it but I plan to be dropping that in the near future when I'm satisfied with what I have. I'm learning to be more patient with myself before posting fics on a whim. In other words that was my long winded explanation of I hope you enjoyed the first bit of this next series, the next chapter will be posted in the coming days. Hope ya'll are doing well in this craziness called 2020.