p3-1

The Odds of Us

She hated herself at that very moment. Reaching out and closing the small box, she pushed it back to Bobby who sat in disbelief and confusion. "I...I don't understand," he stuttered shattered that she would reject him in what he thought would be the happiest moment of his life. 

Meanwhile Minzy sat biting back the truth she so desperately wanted to tell him, "You deserve better." 

He hissed out of frustration, "Better? I deserve an explanation!"

"I'm sorry I let this get so far," she sincerely said as she got up and walked away leaving what should have been the happiest moment in her life behind. 

 

EARLIER THAT DAY

 

Minzy let out a soft hum as she snuggled up against Bobby. Feeling his strong warm arms wrap more securely around her made her giddy inside. Slowly coming to, she blinked her sleepy eyes to see that boyish face she loved so much. Shifting up in his embrace, she lightly traced the outline of his face before cupping his face in her hands and kissing his lips. Giggling as he hummed in approval and pulled her closer to him. "Good morning," she whispered against his lips.

"Morning to you too," he pecked her lips once more. 

 

She honestly could get used to this, she thought as she let Bobby drape himself over her as she cooked them some breakfast. Feeling butterflies in her stomach as he nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck, she bit the corner of her lip and found it hard to concentrate with his lips brushing against her tingling skin. "Did I ever tell you just how y you look cooking in my t-shirt," his flirtatious words had her blushing as he peppered her neck with sweet kisses. 

"Stop, you're going to make me burn the food," she wiggled in his embrace. 

"I'd still eat it," he complimented her before moving to pour them glasses of juice. 

 

Minzy pouted as she reached out to take Bobby's hand. Pulling him back, she gave him another fat kiss on the lips, "See you later," she sensually hinted with a wink.

"If I didn't have to be a responsible adult right now the things I would do to you," he sighed in regret.

"And what would that be," she . 

He chuckled and shook his head, "No, we can't. I can't call in today." 

"Fine lover boy," she pouted cutely. 

"We both have to be responsible adults today remember," he reminded her as he pecked her lips. "I love you," he smiled before leaving. 

"Love you too," she smiled before returning back into her apartment. As she closed the door, a gust of air came rushing through the window. Watching as the air formed into a silhouette of a woman, she stood in surprise. 

"Minzy," the silhouette whispered softly. "Come home," the familiar feminine voice sent chills down her spine. 

"I..." she found it hard to wrap her head around what was happening before the silhouette was whisked away. As soon as the silhouette had disappeared her phone rang, making her jump. Rushing over to her phone, she quickly answered it and felt her heart drop. 

 

Minzy began to anxiously pace back and forth as she stood outside of her boss' office. Watching as the door opened, she greeted her boss and followed him into the office. "Minzy, how can I help you today," he smiled at one of his best employees.

"I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity of working at one of best companies, but I am going to have to quit," she sighed in defeat.

Her boss looked at her in complete shock, "Wow, I was not excepting this." 

"I have to return home due to family obligations I am not entirely sure when I would be able to return to work," she explained. 

"Well, when do you leave," he frowned. 

"Tomorrow," she confessed. "Thank you for everything."

"No thank you, I wish you the best in your future endeavors," the boss nodded. 

 

Minzy went all around her apartment like a mad woman, tossing this and that into a couple of suit cases. Stopping as her phone rang, she smiled as she heard Bobby's voice through the phone. He wanted to take her out to some fancy restaurant they had been talking about the past few months. Gazing over to the suit cases, the sad reality of it all hit her. Agreeing to the dinner appointment, she tossed her phone onto the bed and plopped onto her bed. Staring down at her hands that lay in her lap, she wondered how she could ever let Bobby go. 

 

PRESENT

The tears were flowing heavily as she jumped into her packed car and drove off. 

Minzy pulled over to a small motel. She had driven for hours, not to mention her continual sobbing of mixed emotions. Draging her exhausted self to the front desk, she gladly found herself to her room and flopped onto the bed. Groaning as her face hit the covers, she out. 

Awaking to the rays of the sunlight peeking through the windows of her room, she slowly sat up and lookwed all around. Mindlessly looking at her phone, she frowned seeing all the missed calls and texts from Bobby. Turning off her phone, she got up and checked out before heading back on the road. 

Minzy did her best to clear her mind as she started to near the familiar old town. She tried to not think of the past as she took the exit. Driving a few more miles, the familiar lengths of grassy fields with house here and there was more like home. Feeling her stomach tighten as she pulled up to the lot over filled with cars, she parked a ways as she sat staring at the crowds of people. Some who began to take notice at her arrival. Hissing at the impeding thoughts that started to flood in her mind, she pushed herself out of the car and moved towards the old farm home. 

The sea of people parted ways as she entered, allowing her to make her way into the large farm home and taking in the familiar scene. Her gaze soon fell upon the expecting tear filled ones, rushing into the strong embrace she hugged her spirit father. "Minzy," he breathed as he held her tight. She referred to him as her spirit father but called him father for short. Her spirit father was best friends with her real father. When Minzy was very young, her parents died in a tragic accident. Her spirit father vowed to take her in and raise her as his own, which he did. 

"Father," she breathed into his chest. Glancing through his arms, she could see the sleeping woman at the center of it all. Pulling away, she made her way to the casket and gazed down at her spirit mother. Through trembling hands, she touched her cold face. "I'm here, I came home," she spoke softly as she began to cry. She soon was flanked by her two body guards of brothers, Seunghyun and Jiyong stood along side her to mourn the loss of their mother. 

 

As Minzy mingled with her fellow towns people, an unfamiliar scent wafted in. This caused a hushed silence to fall over everyone as Minzy looked over to the entrance. It was as if time had stood still as Mino walked in. He looked as though he had aged like fine wine. His features defined and his aura spoke that of confidence. It was like she was staring at a celebrity. But the glamour faded as a stunning young woman followed to stand next to him. And if on cue all eyes fell upon Minzy for a reaction. A reaction that was quickly taken by her brothers as they moved to stop them further entering. 

"What are you doing here," Jiyong asked the question that weighed so heavily on Minzy's mind. 

Mino seemed unfazed by their protective manner, "I've come to pay my respects." His gaze soon fell upon Minzy's who found herself locking eyes with him. She felt a small pull as they stared at each other before Mino looked away. Gazing to the young woman next to him, he placed his arm around her waist and led her back out. 

Meanwhile Minzy did her best to hold her composure as her brothers looked back to her with concern. She nodded and smiled, letting them know she was okay. Standing in place for a moment longer, she quietly excused herself. Finding herself in her old room, she exhaled deeply hating how she was affected so deeply even after all this time away from home. 

 

Minzy adjusted her crown of flowers on her head. Staring down at her silk white long dress, she couldn't believe this day had come so soon. Feeling the cool breeze brush by her, she looked around to see all the familiar faces from earlier. Everyone giving her encouraging smiles as they all stood in the middle of the forest. Slipping her shoes off, she felt the cool dirt beneath her feet as she moved into the middle. The crowd grew quiet as she nodded to welcome others to join her. The young women of her town stepped forward dressed in the similiar attire of white silk long dresses. They all began to form a circle filing one by one to assume their position with everyone else standing with lit candles in their hands. Feeling as the circle was being completed, Minzy began to raise her arms up to the night sky. But she stopped when the unfamiliar young woman from earlier stepped out to move towards the circle. 

"What are you doing," Minzy growled before the young woman could reach the circle. 

"I..." the young woman attempted to speak before Mino was quick to reach out to the young woman. Shaking his head, he gently led her away from the circle. "But I practiced all week for this," the young woman complained as she stood by his side. 

"This isn't something you learn in a week and get to be apart of," Minzy snapped. 

"She didn't know," Mino hissed.

"Then you should have prepared her better than to come and disrespect our mother like this," Jiyong hissed. 

"It's not right," Seunghyun added as everyone nodded to agree. 

"It won't happen again," Mino tried to apologize. 

"No it won't, because our mother only gets one time to ascend," Minzy glared at Mino. Shaking her head, she closed her eyes and exhaled deeply. Clearing her mind, she began to hum the tune she had learned as a child. Raising her arms up to the full moon, opened her eyes and began to sway. Soon she started to sing the tune of their town and began to perform the night dance. Taking a candle from Jiyong, she danced and sang with the other young women following suit. Holding the candle out before them, they all blew out their candles. Raising her arms up to the full moon once more, she cried out as if howling as she shifted with everyone joining in. Taking the lead of the pack, she ran through the forest and up to the mountain tops. Crying out to the moon with everyone behind her, she hoped that her mother would hear her longing cry and find safe passage to the other side. 

 

Author's Notes: 

Whoa, short chapter fics are where it's at lol. At least for me that is the case haha. I've written the next set out and will be releasing the chapters over the next couple of days. It took me a couple of days to put these six chapters together so hopefully it's as enjoyable as it was writing it. Thanks for reading and commenting! And you know the drill, please forgive my rawness- no editing, no kind of reviewing kind of writing. Sometimes I do go back and do some editing, but like it's not my strength so...yeah lol. And happy freaking new year! Hope this year blesses yall with bigger and better things!