p6-1

The Odds of Us

Minzy stood in line to await her fate, but the chains on her wrists and ankles served as a reminder that leaving was not an option. "Your turn girl," the man yanked on the chain pulling her forward. Stumbling through the arch way, she walked with her head down and into the spot light to receive her judgement. 

"Gong Minzy, what do you plead," a man's voice boomed deeming himself head of the court. Pressing her lips tightly together she knew it was pointless to argue when the crowd and judge had already reached their verdict. "What say you," the judge's voice roared losing patience. 

"What is there to say when you all have already condemned me to my fate already," she kept her gaze toward the ground feeling defeated. 

"She says that to gain pity from us," someone from the crowd shouted out. 

"She's clever like a witch," another growled that caused everyone else to murmur and nod to agree. 

Holding back the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes, she held her head up and gazed all around her. These were the people she had grown up around. They had seen her come up as a lowly servant girl to a young woman and yet they all stared at her like she was a mere stranger. The fear in their eyes mixed with anger and disgust all apparent on their faces, but she felt nothing but pity for them. Her fellow villagers had caught wind of a tale of a different type of species that looked like humans but had magical powers. These magical beings were called witches and warlocks, they were dangerous and a force that needed to be stopped. What had become a tale soon became a reality as everyone started conjuring up ideas of how to identify a witch or a warlock. These ideas soon took to life which had Minzy standing where she was at this very moment. 

"How do we know you won't deliver us justice when she was a servant in your home," someone else shouted out accusing the judge. 

Minzy felt her chest tighten as she agreed, feeling the slightest hope as she looked up at her master. The person was right, she was a lowly servant in the current judge's home. Without his knowledge one of his servants, Gummy to be exact, had taken her under her wing. She had become Minzy's sole mother figure, teaching her how to be the best servant girl out there which helped this hard judge soften towards her. Taking Gummy's place as one of the top servants in the house after Gummy had passed, all she wanted to do was serve the best she could to make Gummy proud. 

Even though Minzy never really knew the judge personally, it was under his roof that she had gained a living and mother figure, "This is my trial, if we are to point fingers I would then point fingers back at all of you to remember that I had grown up in front your eyes and never once was accused of this made up fantasy of being a witch until now. How could I be what you all claim me out to be? It does not make sense, all that I am is a lowly servant girl with no ambitions of being this monster you all make me out to be." Her heart broke as she shook her head, dropping her gaze to the ground as she scolded herself for trying to convince them otherwise. 

"She lies," someone shouted. 

"A lowly servant by day a of a witch by night," another accused. 

"Guilty," the crowd began to chant and shout, stabbing Minzy with their hate filled words. 

Coughing in disbelief, she glared at the people all around her, "Then I'll be the monster that you all accuse me of being and curse you all. This town will burn down to the ground if I have anything to do with it." 

Many gasped as they all pointed their fingers at her, "Witch, witch, witch!" 

"We should burn her before she burns us all," the crowd shouted as they came rushing her. Taking hold of her, she felt herself being tossed and hit from every direction as she was taken outside to the stakes. Being thrown against the wooden totem pole, she was wrapped tightly against it while others threw wood bundles all around her. 

Gasping as the ropes were pulled so tight it could possibly cut right through, but the crowd had to be shown she couldn't escape as she gazed up at the starry night and the moon was fully glowing to block out the evil things being said to and about her. Thinking of the only thing she could do, she whispered a prayer of strength like Gummy had taught her when she was young. Thinking about the first time Gummy had knelt on her knees and beckoned her to come and join her, she had learned of a greater power than that of these witches and warlocks that everyone feared. It was the power of God that Gummy had taught her. He was a supreme being that was watching over them and they could talk to this supreme being through prayer and if he saw fit he would grant them what they asked for. Taking what she learned into consideration, she prayed for comfort and strength to meet death with open arms even though she was being forced into it. Ignoring the crowd that took her prayers for her casting a spell, she continue to stay focused on the moon. Grinning she hoped she was going to meet Gummy on the other side. 

Feeling the heat, she bit the corner of her lip as she began to sweat from the rising flames. Twitching in her restraints, the flames at her feet started to hurt. Hissing as she tried to hold her head high, soon the flames started to raise blocking the beautiful view from above. The burning flesh, the pain of her skin melting off was the most indescribable feeling as her tears betrayed her and fell from her eyes. Letting out an involuntary scream of horror, she couldn't believe she had not passed out from all the pain and torture inflicted on her body. Trembling and no longer able to hold back, she cried out until all she remembered were the flames that consumed her whole. 

 

Minzy's eyes slowly fluttered open, gazing around as her blurred vision tried to take in her surroundings. Pushing her exhausted body up from the cold dirt ground, she realized that she was sitting at the stake where she had been burned. "I don't understand," she breathed as she looked around not seeing anyone. 

"Take this," a voice boomed and she quickly gazed upon the judge, her master who had tossed her a heavy cloak. Gazing down at herself, she was completely and hurried to grab it and drape it over herself. "Come we don't have much time," he turned to take his leave. Not understanding what was happening, she forced herself up onto her feet and felt so much pain that she hissed. "Your body will recover, hurry along now," her master called over his shoulder as he continue to move. 

Hissing out in frustration, she forced her shaky legs to move forward. Following her master into the nearby woods, she was grateful that he stopped walking and she took advantage of the tree's trunk and leaned upon it, "What is happening?" 

Her master turned and grinned, "What do you think my child? You are the answer to our prayers." 

"I don't understand..." her voice was caught in as her master extended his arm out with his palm faced up towards the woods and there was a blast of energy as the winds began to swirl in a large circular motion. She was in awe as her master stepped forward and disappeared, intrigued she walked up to the whirling winds and reached her hand out as it felt like it was going through some type of force field. Finding it interesting, she was surprised as her hand was taken and she was yanked into the whirling winds. Squeaking as she went stumbling forward, she was caught by her master's grasp and she frowned realizing that she was still in the forest. Unsure of what happened, she quietly followed her master out of the woods and gasped as she looked at the town. The town looked different, it had taller builds and appeared to be built with different types of material outside of wood. Was it rocks? She could not tell as she neared the town and felt that all eyes were on her. Gazing around, she was most definitely in a different place not being able to recognize anyone and by the looks of it they all appeared to have a different aura about them. She couldn't describe it as she found herself heading to that dreadful place where she had met her fate earlier. No longer bound by chains, she still felt a pull to follow her master into the hall where there sat a hushed crowd along with what she assumed to be their judge. 

Looking up at the judge, she felt her knees grow weak as his eyes glowed a turquoise blue like crystal clear water. She had never seen such eyes like the ones that were staring at her curiously before he spoke, "What have you brought us?" 

"I have brought you a sacrificial lamb to the slaughter," her master said as he bowed respectfully. 

"What is your name girl," he spoke with authority. 

Minzy was a little taken aback as she looked at the young man. He looked to be about her age and yet her master was showing him so much respect. "My name is Minzy," she replied as she stood analysing this young man that demanded so much. "What is yours," she countered that had the crowd giving soft gasps and had her second guessing if she should have asked such a question. 

But the way the young man with crystal blue glowing eyes grinned at her made her feel a little at ease. Watching as his eyes went from amused to icy cold blue, he pressed his lips tightly together and frowned, "You are the one in question Minzy." 

"Am I in a trial," she asked causing the crowd to gasp even more and begin to murmur until the young man held his hand up to quiet the crowd. 

"Yes," the young man answered. "This is the trial of your faith." 

"My faith in what? I do not understand what is going on," found herself becoming frustrated. 

"To see if you are worthy of saving," the young man revealed. 

Minzy scoffed in disbelief, "Worthy of saving?! My fate was already chosen for me. I died for being accused of something that I am not." 

"And what were you accused of being," he asked. 

"The town I grew up in accused me of some fantasy of being a witch. I am no witch, I was only a lowly servant girl," she expressed still feeling saddened by the betrayal of it all. 

"You say you died, do you still think you're dead," the young man continued his interrogation 

She shrugged as she tried to make light of it all, "Honestly I do not know. Is this not the after life?" 

There were a couple of chuckles that had Minzy gazing around trying to find what was funny about her assumption. The young man raised his hand to silence the crowd as he leaned forward and stared at her through his bluest of blue eyes with scrutiny. Clasping his hands before him, he tried not to show how in awe that she was there. The fact that she had survived and was reincarnated in the flesh was something he had only read about and never witnessed. Clearing his throat, he straightened his posture and stared hard at her. She was a unique beauty for sure and her fiery attitude was very amusing, if only she had realized she was talking to one of the greatest warlocks that ruled she probably would have practiced more restraint. Or maybe not, he could not put his finger on it but he knew he had to have her on his side. "I'm sorry I have to tell you this, but this is not the after life. In fact it is far from it," the young man answered. "Here you are more than a lowly servant girl, you will become one of the greatest witches ever known to both our species and humans alike." 

"So you're telling me that witches and warlocks are real," she asked in disbelief. 

"As real as the air you breathe and the sun and moon you see," he nodded. 

Minzy held her hands up as she tried to grasp what was being said, "Wait even if these witches and warlocks were real, I can't be one. I'm a nobody, just a servant girl." 

"Who are your parents," the young man asked hoping he could trace her lineage. 

"I...I don't know," she said with a hint of sadness and regret. 

"Chaerin read her," the young man said and abruptly a woman from the crowd stood and made her way to Minzy. 

She had beatifully blond long hair and dark eyes to contrast her pale skin as she held her hand out to Minzy, "Give me your left hand." Hesitantly Minzy raised her hand up towards the woman and watched as she placed her palm facing up and brushed her finger tips along the lines on her palm. The tingling feeling made her feel nervous as she looked to notice that the lines formed that of what looked like a star. "For the love that is holy in heaven and hell," this lady Chaerin breathed before slowly gazing up at Minzy with a glazed look. "This...this can't be..." the woman shook her head as she gazed down at Minzy's palm, pulling her hand even closer to her face as she traced the lines again. 

"What is it," the young man asked feeling impatient having never seen this kind of reaction from his reader. 

Chaerin mumbled under her breath as she slowly fell to her knees and through pleading eyes she clung to Minzy's hand, "She's the one. She's the daughter of the morning star." Her words caused everyone to gasp in disbelief as Minzy looked around confused. "I...I am so honored to be in your presence," Chaerin mumbled as she kissed Minzy's hand and bowed respectfully. 

This action caused the young man to be up on his feet as he stormed over to take Minzy's hand in his grasp. Glaring at her, he opened her palm and felt his jaw become unhinged as the evidence was clearly engraven in her life lines. The star was etched deep into her palms that he could not deny his next words, "I have finally found you my dear wife." 

"What," Minzy withdrew her hand completely confused. "Master please explain what is going on," Minzy looked to her master who oddly kept his head bowed. 

"Master?! He is not your master," the young man snapped feeling offended that his soon to be bride would refer to one of his servants as such. Turning his rage to his servant, he saw the fear written across his face. "How could you let her serve the likes of you?!" 

"Please your highness, I did not know who she was," he begged for forgiveness.

"Your carelessness of my queen shall be rewarded," the young man extended his hand out towards Minzy's master. "You will receive the same treatment she had." Suddenly he was up in flames wailing at the top of his lungs and went tumbling to the ground and disolving to a pile of ashes. 

Minzy trembled at the scene that played out before her, the thoughts of her own flesh burning the and excruciating pain was still fresh on her mind, "How...could you do that to him?" 

"It was an honorable death," the young man spoke indifferently to the situation before gazing upon the crowd. "My fellow witches and warlocks our time has finally come. With the daugther of the morning star our future will rise in our generation," his voice roared causing everyone to stand on their feet and cheer. 

Meanwhile Minzy had slipped out and folded her hands over her chest to hold herself. Shaking her head as she moved out of the building and towards the forest, she was stopped by the voice that called out to her, "Where are you going?"

Hearing the young man's voice demanding her to stop, she turned to look over her shoulder, "None of this makes any sense."

He sighed as he moved to walk towards her, "That doesn't answer my question, where are you going?" 

She shrugged as she didn't know herself, "I don't know, but I had to leave there. You guys are crazier than the people from the town I came from. I am nobody. I am only a servant girl..."

"No you're not," her words made his blood boil. "You're more than that!" 

"What, because my palm tells you that," she scofffed in disbelief. "Get a grip of yourself, I don't know who you are..." 

She was surprised as he took her by the shoulders and stared hard at her with his blue eyes that silenced her, "You may not know who I am, but I know who you are and you're special."

For a moment she wanted to believe him as she stared into his eyes, they held a power over her before she gazed away, "What is going on? I'm so confused." 

"Minzy you're the one we've been waiting and praying for," he spoke confidently. Looking back at him, his eyes shone with confidence as well, "Please don't leave us. We need you."

The way his eyes softened from the icy cold to calm waters had her staying still, "So what? What do you need from me?" 

Trying not to be in awe by the morning star's daughter standing before him in the flesh, he nodded as he asked her to follow him. Walking towards a lovely cottage, the young man pulled out a key from his pocket and unlocked the door. Entering, he gestured for her to come in. "I need to leave for a little while to meet with the council and in the mean time I need you to stay here. You will have servants take care of you and some of my trusted advisors will advise you in my absence." 

"I can take care of myself," she reminded him that she was a servant. 

Her words made him angry as he wished he could burn his servant alive again, "Just let them do their job and you do yours to stay here and soak up what you can." 

"I'm just to wait on you...your highness," she did not know what to call him. 

He stiffened at what she had called him, if she fully understood who she was she would feel embarrassed to say the least that she had called him that, "You can call me Mino but when we are around others you can call me counselor." 

"So what of this title of being your supposed wife," she questioned him as she remembered what he had proclaimed her out to be. 

Never had he experienced so many emotions in such a short time as he felt his cheeks heat up, if the council caught wind of his careless words he knew he would end up in a political arguement. "We'll just keep that between ourselves," he grinned at her apologetically. "Sometimes I say things in the heat of the moment." 

"Like the way you so hastily took that man's life," she reminded him. "Did you honestly think you were showing justice by doing that? As someone who experienced such a harsh reality of being burned alive I don't think I could wish that upon anyone else." 

Mino could see that his rash actions had affected her deeply. At the time he honestly did think he was in the right, but seeing her reaction made him second guess himself, "I apologize, I only meant to do defend your honor." 

"Then next time ask me for my opinion please," she shook her head as she shivered at the thought. 

Mino didn't say a word as he mentally thought of how ill prepared Minzy was for the witch and warlock reality of life. But it was something he didn't have the time to explain or show her, sighing he hoped his advisors could enlighten her. "I must go. Please make yourself feel at home."

Leaving Minzy alone, she gazed around as she found herself sitting on a large soft cushioned chair. It was very comfortable compared to the hard cold dirt floor she had grown accustom to. Leaning her head onto the arm of the said chair, she brought her legs up and laid upon it as she stared at the empty fireplace. Having the quiet air surrounding her she wondered what the hell she was doing as she gazed down at her palm. Tracing the apparent star shape the lines in her palm made, she wondered what this meant. Who was the morning star and what made it so that she was so special as this Mino guy referred her to be. 

 

Awaking to the knock at the door, she sleepily shuffled to the door and opened it to see a few women filtering in. Mindlessly standing by and watching them go to and fro, she was surprised as she was taken by the hand and led down the hall. Seeing a magical light flicker on by the push of a device on the wall, it was the most magnificant bathroom she had ever seen as she was led into the bathroom and the women went to work preparing her bath. Seeing one woman sprinkling flower petals into the water, she shook her head feeling like it was a little extreme, but the woman continue to do what she was doing before turning to Minzy with an expected look. Walking up to her, Minzy was startled as her clothing started to be pulled off of her until she was completely . Throwing her arms over her intimate body parts, the woman who had been tossing in the flower petals led Minzy into the water and started to scoop water onto her. Reaching for a soap, Minzy reached for it and had her hand lightly pushed away as the woman began to scrub her back with the bar of soap. Folding her arms over her chest, her arms were pulled up as she was being forced cleaned. Rolling her eyes, she figured the process would only take longer if she fought it and let the women pull her every which way.

Standing before the mirror, she couldn't recognize herself as her long hair was bunched up in a sophisticated manner like how her makeup was painted onto her face. The material smelt rich and sure as hell felt fine as she looked down at her elegant dark blue dress. As the women had filed out to leave her alone, a knock came at the door and Minzy went to open it and found the blonde woman from the other day smiling at her. 

"Hello my name is Chaerin I am a reader to our highness, may I please come in," Chaerin asked politely. Minzy nodded as she stepped aside to allow her entrance before closing the door. Following the woman towards the sitting quarters as the women from earlier had called it. Gesturing to the woman to have a seat, Chaerin bashfully shook her head, "Oh no, after you please." Minzy inwardly sighed as she took a seat and watched as this Chaerin woman walked around the room. "I can't believe that I am in the same room as the daughter of the Morning Star," she grinned as she kept her attention on Minzy as she continue to move around. 

"Who is this Morning Star that you speak of," Minzy asked trying not to sound to desperate to know who this person was. 

"Oh that's right, you've been living among the human race," Chaerin said as she stopped in her tracks. "Some humans call him Lucifer the fallen angel or Satan," Chaerin suggested hoping that would ring a bell. 

"Wait, you're saying that I am a daughter of Satan as in the God and ruler over hell," Minzy asked unsure if she was hearing right. She knew very little of religion, only being exposed to what Gummy had taught her. Thinking on the words associated with Satan, he was bad and so was everything about him. And if this woman was claiming that she was the daughter of this bad God then she was also bad. Biting the corner of her lip, she felt her insides twist into knots as she realized that maybe it wasn't a bad idea that she had burned at the stake. 

"What are you thinking about daughter and Goddess of our divine hell," Chaerin sweetly asked as she finally came to take a seat next to her. 

Minzy shrugged as she gazed down at her hands. She didn't know how to feel about such a title, "How can you be so sure I am who you claim me to be? If you knew how I grew up then maybe you too would question it." 

Chaerin frowned hating to see the daughter of the Morning Star doubt her powers and who she really was. She reached out to take Minzy's palm in her hands and opened it for both of them to look at. Letting her finger tips trace the star, it started to glow causing Minzy's eyes to stay glued at her hand as she felt a tingling sensation, "Your hand tells me what you are destined for." 

"And what exactly am I destined for," Minzy asked as she watched how her hand appeared to flicker and glow like red fire. 

"It is because of your past you are prepared to take on your future," Chaerin said as she kept hold on Minzy's hand and stood as they were suddenly standing in the forest. 

Minzy was confused as she heard giggling. The breeze seemed to brush by and whisper for her to follow. Following the giggling, she found herself seeing a beautiful woman prancing around a stone table with lit candles circling it. The woman appeared to be wearing a white sheer gown while a young man about her age lay upon the table tied and gagged. He looked sickly and held a worried look as his eyes shifted to follow the woman who continue to carelessly dance around him. "Take this innocent vessel Lucifer," the woman stood at the head of the table and held her palms on either sides of the man's head who started to groan and plead through his gag for her to stop. "I offer him to you as a vessel clensed to be purified by your great spirit," the woman spoke loudly as she gazed up at the full moon. Soon there was a shift in the air as the moon light was blocked leaving what looked like a dark hole in the sky as the man cried out and the woman squealed in delight. Minzy felt for the poor unfortunate man, who jolted in shock before he continue to tremble. "Take him, let him in," the woman cooed as she placed her hands onto his forehead and repeated the chant until the man passed out cold and stopped moving. Minzy stepped forward as she looked to see that the man looked like he was dead until his eyes suddenly flashed open and appeared to have a darkness to them. Sitting up, the man snapped off the ropes that held him bound with ease. His black orbs for eyes looked straight into Minzy's eyes as if he knew she was there. Moving back, the woman moved to take the man's face in her hands. "Is that you Morning Star?" 

"Yes," his voice boomed like thunder. "Why have you summoned me," the man stood on his feet towering the woman with dominance.

She fell to her feet and gazed up at him with fear and hesitation, "I...I have called upon you to offer you a sacrifice."

"And what is it that you ask for" he eyed her. 

Taking courage, she stood on her feet to face him, "That you use me as your vessel." The man smirked as he took her by her small waist and threw her onto the stone table. Gazing upon all her glory that shone through her transparent outfit, he bent down and crashed his lips against hers. 

Minzy felt relieved as the winds picked up and flashed her forward. Seeing the woman's belly full with child, she watched as the woman covered herself with a cloak and ventured further into the woods in a hurry. Hearing an angry mob shouting to find her, Minzy looked back to see the woman who could barely waddle away fighting to push herself through the vast thick forest. Stumbling onto her feet, the woman gripped onto the trunk of the tree as she felt her water break. With her fluids rushing down her legs and the mob fresh on her trail, the woman found a large tree that had fallen and took coverage underneath. Crawling into the hollowed tree, she did her best to stay quiet with all the pains that she felt of the child pushing its way out. Minzy felt nervous for the woman as the mob stood nearby. Seeing how they rushed off into one direction, her attention went back to the woman who silently cried as she pushed the baby girl who did not cry. In fact it had the woman worried as she had crawled out of the tree trunk to better assess the newborn under the moonlight. As the rays of light shimmered on the baby, it cried for the first time causing the woman cry as she craddled her newborn baby. 

The winds picked up again and Minzy found herself standing in front of a small cottage that looked so vaguely familiar. It was small and modest as the same woman she had been following appeared to look a little older as she craddled a little child in her arms. Rocking the child that was fast asleep as if it was the most precious thing in the world, she hummed a tune that made Minzy shiver. Seeing how the door fly open, Minzy's gaze looked to see a dark figure float into the home. The woman had a look of fear and disbelief as she turned away and as if shielding the child before she was swept away in the darkness leaving the child alone and crying for its mother to return.

Minzy felt horrible for the child as the winds picked up and moved her again. It was then that she recognized the forest the small child had wandered into to. Everything seemed to all piece together as the child came upon a friendly woman who was picking plants from the forest. "Wait," Chaerin spoke up for the first time as she caught hold of Minzy's hand. "Do you know that woman," Chaerin asked as she looked at her with worry written all over her face. 

"Hi little one, what are you doing out here all alone," Gummy smiled as she looked around and frowned to see that the child was alone. "Come here little child," Gummy held her hands out and smiled. When the child had touched her hand she hissed out in frustration as if the young child's hand had burned hers. Gazing down at the child in disbelief, she crouched down and noticed that the small child was about to cry. "Don't cry little one. I promise I will take care of you." Looking down at her hand again, Gummy gasped in shock as the flaming star burned into her hand. Clenching her palm she reached out and scooped the small child up in her arms. 

Chaerin raised her hand to stop what was happening as she shook her head, "No we can't look any further." Minzy frowned as she looked at Chaerin for an explanation. "Do not under any circumstances ever mention this woman or your connection to her to anyone do you understand?" 

"But why," Minzy asked knowing that her ex-master had her under his service for her entire time with Gummy. 

"If you know what's good for you, you will leave it at that." Chaerin sighed deeply as she ran her fingers through her hair, "I think that's enough reading for today.The next advisor will meet with you after your breakfast." 

"Breakfast," Minzy questioned her as she looked around and noticed that the sun was still in the process of rising. 

"Yes, even though it feels as though you have been awake for what seems like a full day my powers manipulate the mind letting us explore the memories in mere seconds and minutes," Chaerin revealed before going quiet again. "Remember what I've said. Trust no one with that precious information do you hear me?" Nodding in understanding, Minzy was startled at the knock at the door to which Chaerin answered it to see the crowd of women back to take care of Minzy. "Good day your highness." 

 

Author's Notes:

Dang guess who's back, back again...lol. Hey hey all! I apologize that I've been a way for a hot minute. I unfortunately got super sick and ended up being hospitalized. I promise I didn't abandon you all, it's just that I was too sick ya know? So to apologize and I've dropped 3 chapters for ya'll, finished the last set and posted the first chapter of the new one. I honestly haven't finished this new set seeing as I had gotten sick, but I'll try my best to get myself together to finish it soon. Thanks for your patience and I hope you all are doing well. Take care until the next one...