Winter *

Our Winter Ballad

When I woke up in the morning it was earlier than normal and I had at least an hour or two before Hyung would come banging on my door. Looking at the time it was 5 am, which meant I got more sleep then I have gotten since last night. Checking my phone, I had a text message from Jackson as it told me to have a good day at work, and I just shook my head as a small smiled graced my face. Putting my phone down and getting out of bed I made my way into the bathroom as I took a shower and got ready for the rest of the day and when I was done getting ready, Hyung was walking in the door. Smiling at him I gave him the extra cup of coffee that I made and he honestly looked surprised but I just really wanted details about last night.

“So….” I looked down into my cup as I waited for him to tell a corny joke but instead he stayed quiet. “Anything new happen lately?”

“I know I was adamant about not wanting him but yesterday when you two disappeared and we went looking for you, things got crazy and one thing lead to another.” I laughed as he was being shy about it and I was really surprised.

“So are you two together or is it just a fling?” Shrugging his shoulders, I nodded as I pursed my lips together and it seemed like time was on my side as my phone rang.

Running to go get it, it stopped making noise as a little voicemail was left on it. Knowing I can check it later I grabbed everything that I would need as I had a meeting with the CEO about the end of year Gayos. Grabbing Hyung, I dragged him out of my place and outside into the van so that we can go before we're late and I really didn’t need another lecture about being on time.

“Isn’t that Jackson?” I sat up quickly as I looked at the road but I didn’t see anyone and as I glanced at Hyung he was smirking at me. “Got you~~!”

“I hope you crash and burn.” I mumbled to myself already knowing how to get him back and this time he is going to do a lot more than looking.

Once we arrived I stepped out of the car quickly as I grabbed the bag I brought with me because for some odd reason I was told to bring extra clothes. Going straight towards his office I knocked twice before opening the door and as he looked at me with slight surprise I took my seat. He began grumbling about something but I wasn’t really paying attention, or should I say didn’t really care.

“So what are we doing today?” He stood walking around his desk as he leaned against the front of it taking a minute to stare at me.

“Well, as far as the Gayos go, you are performing for all three but at MBC seeing as how they do that artist switching songs thing, you will be a part of it.” I got kind of excited at the idea of performing someone else’s song.

“Who's song?!”

“Kahi's ‘It's Me', seeing as how she is performing with After School, you will be doing her song. I think one of the rookies will be performing your song, the details haven’t really been worked out that far. But the song is easy but the dancing is harder seeing as how you’ve never really danced except for in your trainee years. So go to the practice room and you’ll be taught the dance, and later we will record the song.” I almost feel over in excitement because I will be dancing, but why a girl song?

“But why a female song?” he laughed a little causing me to scrunch my eyebrows together in clear confusion.

“Because it’s the thing nowadays. After Boy's Day, it has become more of a craving with the female audience to see males cross dress on stage and not being embarrassed about it. Plus, I know you want to do dance music so if this goes well I’ll consider.” I was out of his office with a quick thank you as I ran towards the practice rooms as Hyung followed after me.

Looking around I heard music coming from one of the rooms and opening the door I saw the backup dancers as they greeted me as I did the same. Sitting my stuff down, I excused myself for a minute as I went to go get changed and when I came back we were all set and ready. Honestly, I didn’t know why it had to be me but I’ll take it. Walking towards our head choreographer he smiled at me before telling someone to help me stretch, and turning around to look at the person I gasped in surprise because it was Yugyeom. He held this funny smile on his face as he came to hug me causing me to do the same and it instantly caught the eyes of everyone in the room. Letting him go he brought me into a corner of the room as we began stretching, and it was really easy up until the point where he had me trying to do things my body wouldn’t allow.

“I-I can’t…do…this!” I swatted at him as he kept on pressing on my back trying to help me go further down and honestly the only thing it was doing was tearing me a new one.

“Come on, Hyung! At least I’m not making you do the splits!” He pushed harder and the only thing I could hear was a small pop but no pain, and as I stilled he pushed me down until my nose was touching the ground. “Look! It’s easy, right?”

“I think I just popped my hip out of place.” I was struggling for air as he finally got off of me and coming up I grabbed my side causing him to laugh as he helped me stand up, but there was still no pain which was weird.

“You’re a lot more flexible than you think, and seeing as how you don’t dance your joints locked up. So by pressing down on you like that it popped the way your joint was locked, that’s all. No pain, no gain right?” Punching him in the arm I walked away from him scared that he will have me in the splits in the next minute and sitting down next to Hyung he was simply having the time of his life watching me.

“It’s not funny!” I semi-shouted at him and he finally let his laughs go and I could swear he was going to get what was coming for him.

“I didn’t say it was.”

“But you’re laughing as if it is! Wait a minute.” Turning away from him I looked for Yugyeom as he was talking to another dancer, causing me to smirk because it was Showtime. “Yugyeom! Can you come here for a minute?!”

He nodded before leaving his conversation that he would go back to in no time. When he finally reached over, I pulled him to sit down and I could see the cold sweat on Hyung’s face as I pulled out my phone remembering the picture. Pulling it up, I gave my phone to Yugyeom as I asked him if he recognized him and as he sat thinking about it I simply glanced at Hyung to see him scooting further away as if to make a dash for the door any minute.

“Ah! Yeah! He was known as Board, because even with all his skills he was stiff as a board. I think his real name was Doojoon or something like that, but I don’t really remember. He used to dance with me when I used to be a dancer and then I brought the company from the old owner, and at that time he left to follow his dream of being a singer or something like that.” I smiled in amusement as I grabbed Hyung bringing him even closer and I just loved the expression he gave me.

“Could you remember him if you saw him again?” I asked genuinely curious and as he nodded slowly with a laugh I looked at Hyung as he shook his head no, but I just had to do it. “Does anyone have a baseball cap or a hat that looks like this?”

Holding up the picture everyone began to scramble to look before some handed me their hat, and with a thankful smile I asked for a pair of thin rectangular glasses and one of the dancers just happened to have a pair. It was like destiny was calling me at this moment. Placing the hate and glasses on Hyung he was grumbling about something, but ignoring that, I made him pose just like the picture and asked if he recognized him and by the way he burst out into a fit of laughter I knew he did.

“Oh My Gosh! You …You still look the same! For a minute I thought you were someone else but I guess contacts and a good haircut can change a person’s appearance severally. Are you still stiff?” Hyung dropped his head and I let the small smile grace my lips as everyone looked around in amusement along with me.

“I-I don’t dance anymore, so I’m rustier than ever. And NO I WILL NOT DANCE!” He stood taking off the glasses and hat and walked out but not before I took a picture of him as I was going to make a collage and it get it enlarged so that I can hang it in the living room.

After Hyung’s grand leave, we stopped playing around and finally getting to work as they taught me the basics seeing as how I wouldn’t be on stage any longer than needed. Laughing I watched the dance practice and honestly it seemed easy except for the dance break and the beginning where it looks like I will be breaking my back. Sighing we stood in the opening position as the music started playing, and after the snapping I literally felt my back crack and not in a good way. Waving it off, I laid on the floor as I held my back trying not to imagine dying like this. After a few minutes, I stood again as I wanted to give it another try and after many tries and broken backs we got through the beginning and all the way up to the dance break, but then I stopped again. It wasn’t like that part was hard, but I was tired and everyone seemed like they were also.

“Hyung! If we are going to go any slower I won’t make it home for dinner, and its pizza tonight.” I rolled my eyes at Yugyeom as he was the only one who seemed not to be tired and I didn’t understand how and we have been at this for hours.

“Fine! Let’s get this…” I was cut off by the door opening causing everyone to stare at it as the CEO walked in followed by someone else but I wasn’t really paying that much attention to them.

“Sorry to interrupt, but after taking with MBC and Pledis we have decided that it would be more fun if we got someone to actually do the rap part, and after getting permission from Dumbfoundead we thought on it.” I snorted because it has only been at least 4 hours and that isn’t really that much thinking. “So after an hour or so of thinking and discussing we thought about who would make it more exciting and then it hit us to use an up and coming rapper.”

I held my breath as I sighed already knowing who he was going to say and even if a little part of me was excited it didn’t mean that I liked it all that. I watched as he announced Jackson’s name causing him to come from around him as he smiled big as we locked eyes and just flopped back down on the ground. My shirt was soaked in sweat, and this would be the first out of two practices before we have to perform and I just really hopped they weren’t going to make a mistake with this.

“Hello, I’m Up-and-coming Rookie Rapper King J. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” I rolled my eyes at his now polite and respectful manner and as everyone clapped and introduced themselves I stayed put in my little puddle of sweat on the ground as I had just finally managed to control my breathing.

“Eunkwang? It’s rude not to greet people when they enter the room.” I sat up slowly as everyone parted like the red sea as the only line of vision was directed at me.

“But we already know each other, plus Yugyeom cracked my body too good so now I’m all sore and tired. I’ll take him to the studio when we finish with practice and I take a shower, other than that he should know how to open and use his mouth.” I knew I sounded mean but as he just laughed and came over to me as he poked my head causing me to turn towards him with a glare as I made a motion to bite his finger causing him to move it quickly.

“Well, seeing as how that is settled I’ll let you get back to practice. King J, learn your part quickly we perform the day after tomorrow.” Jackson nodded but I could see the weird look on his face as the CEO left leaving everyone to go back to whatever they were doing.

“Isn’t that too short? Why did they book it like that?”

“Because we learn fast, and if you can’t acquire that skill then your schedule will only move slowly. Go over to him, and he will tell you when you come in and your part other than that you can sit and watch.” Standing I wiped my forehead as everyone got back into place as we practiced the dance break part once more before turning on the music and out the corner of my eye I watched him as he shuffled over to the Head Choreographer and they began talking.

When we finally finished I was ready to go home and sleep, and as Yugyeom left out with a skip in his step I followed after him as I went to the bathroom as I cleaned myself up and leaving I ran into Jackson as he smiled at me. Staring at him with wide eyes I walked around him slowly as I motioned for him to follow me and texting Hyunsik so that he will know that we were on our way I didn’t wait for a reply as I stuck it back in my pocket. As we passed by the cafeteria, I grabbed something to drink from the fridge as I scanned my card hating that I have to do that every time, and looking back at Jackson I grabbed him one to.

“Catch.” I tossed it to him as he caught it, even though it almost fell, I was impressed with it.

Going down the hall some more I heard the same music causing me to smile as I opened the door and even if he tried to play it off I saw him jump. Walking up to him I sat down on the thing that held the computer for lyrics, and jumping onto it I watched him as he worked changing lyrics and such and I just couldn’t believe how dedicated to his work that he was.

“I brought Jackson with me so that we can get this over with quickly.”

“Good, Good, umm…you King H, come here really quick.” I had to hold my laughter because Hyunsik wasn’t even paying attention as he kept himself hunched over the soundboard.

“It’s King J, sunbaenim.” I snorted a little bit as he corrected him and I wanted to tell him that it wasn’t going to matter and by the next sentence I had to let it go.

“Whatever. King ABCD, come here!” I laughed so hard that I almost fell off the desk thingy and I watched as Jackson walked over with his head hung low as Hyunsik ed the papers into his hand asking him to repeat after him.

They worked on the rap for a minute or two seeing as how Jackson spoke English pretty well, and then he was off to the booth. As he rapped I listened closely and I noticed how his voice cracked a little bit and Hyunsik did also as he turned off the music telling him to do it again.

Bad boy, but your man don’t see that

It’s the golden era for bad boys these days

You’re too good for him

What a waste, you don’t need that

He out here dating basic broads

When he let you go, I said thank you Lord

I laughed as he acted out the lyrics and I acted as if I didn’t notice him staring at me the whole time he rapped because it kind of brought a small blush to my face but other than that it did nothing more. After the third time, with no voice cracking and no slurred words, he was done and when he came out I went in as I put the headphones on. Looking at Hyunsik his face visibly softened and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes because he is so protective of this studio, well except for when it came to people he really trusts.

It’s Eunkwang

That was all I was able to say before Hyunsik stopped me telling me to say it the same way she says it and doing it once more I got it right as he allowed me to continue singing.

I saw him yesterday

A boy who is totally not your style

A boy like that means nothing to you

He’s just any boy

Not knowing me is bad enough

But you’re comparing me to a guy like him?

You really don’t know me or what kind of guy I am

When the chorus came around I was glad because now Jackson could stop staring at me and it was all thanks to Hyunsik as he slapped a book down in front of him telling him to practice annunciating his words, and that was when I lost it. I burst out laughing in the middle of the chorus and I wasn’t even mad that I had to restart. After that was all done and over with, I left the booth as he told us that we could leave and he would send the track for tomorrow’s practice.

“Sub is going to call me later, right?” He shrugged causing me to sigh because something was wrong. “You guys are still arguing?”

“It isn’t even about that anymore, he got mad because I wanted to postpone the wedding seeing as how I am now busy with everyone trying to make a comeback. So he told me that he was tired of me putting work before him, and he dismissed me telling me not to come back until I got my together. I think my underwear are still in the bushes outside the house.” I watched as he rubbed his temples as he let out a long sigh and I could see where Changsub was coming from but I could also see where Hyunsik was coming from.

“I’ll talk to him, okay? As for now, where are you staying?” He looked around the studio and I literally had to hold my breath from cussing him out because this is always the first place he runs to. “Get your things, and come to my place and stay there until everything is sorted out. I’ll see you when I get home.”

Bidding him goodbye, I left with Jackson at my side as he stared at me expecting me to say something to him but then again I don’t know what he would want me to say.

“It happened a lot when they were dating if you are wondering, and no he isn’t a bad person. He just hates when people touch what’s his things, well without his permission that is, and that means Sub as well. And Sub is my cousin, nosy.” I answered all his questions without him even asking them and as he just nodded along I pushed the door open letting the cool air hit me.

“Well, I’ll see you later Seorella!” He ran towards his van as his Manager stood out in the cold with Board Hyung as they both were acting shy with one another.

Walking towards them, I greeted Jackson’s Manager as he waved at me before biding us both goodbye as he left with Jackson as he was yelling about it being cold. Looking at Hyung he had visibly calmed down from his early stamped and trying my hardest not to smile I got in the van as he got in also blasting the heat.

“Can you take me to Changsub’s house?” He looked at me through the rearview mirror and giving him a childlike smile he sighed before nodding.

“Are you going to need a ride home? Or do you need me to pick you up in the morning?” I thought about it for a minute before shrugging because I don’t know how long I am going to be figuring this out.

“I’ll call you if anything comes up, okay?” With a nod he pulled off as he drove down the road and looking at my phone I texted Sub telling him to unlock the door, and the only thing I got back was an emoji.

Ignoring it, I kept silent for the rest of the ride as I let the sounds of the city fill my ears as the music became background noise, and all the way there I was coming up with lyrics in my mind as it just fit perfectly.

~~

Song is 'It's Me' by Kahi (x)