Summer*

Our Winter Ballad

Today was the long awaited movie premiere and I didn’t know what I should be feeling, to be honest. I was excited, of course, but I was also nervous about what everyone else was going to think. I was nervous about my own thoughts to be honest because I haven’t seen the final product, but I do know that I tried my best no matter the outcome. As long as the parents are happy then that is all that truly matters to me. Taking a deep breath, I fixed my suit for the last time before looking over as Hyung seemed nervous as well. What is going on with all of us?

“We can do this!” Cheering us on, he raised his fist in the air causing us to high-five as tonight was going to go well.

“Wait!” Stopping, I had my shoe half-way on, so waiting I watched as he fumbled in his pocket for something; maybe jewelry? “I’ll need your help for tonight.”

“My help for what? Did you get in trouble?! Oh, Hyung, I’m not going down with you.” He slapped my back making me fall silent as I couldn’t reach the spot where he hit as the pain was immense.

“No, uh, I’m thinking about proposing to Junhyung tonight. I’ve been planning this for a while but I haven’t found the right time but I think that tonight is perfect.” Choking on my spit, I was in shock because this was a first for him.

“Are you s-sure? I love Junhyung Hyung, don’t get me wrong, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen you like this and I was there through all your other break ups as well.” He nodded showing me this shy look and it made my heart clench because Hyung was dead serious. “I’m even more nervous now! Oh, oh, so what’s the plan?”

“Well, I was thinking of doing it at the after party because doing it at the premiere would put too much pressure on me, especially if he says no. Oh – I didn’t even think about him saying no. What if he says no? What am I supposed to do?” Grabbing his shoulders, I shook him a little to wake him up because we were going to be late if we dwelled on the negatives.

“Let’s talk about his in the car, okay?” Nodding, we head out as I was supposed to meet Jackson there and with this new information that was bestowed upon me, my brain was all over the place.

We spent the whole car ride coming up with a plan, and once one was established we agreed on it as I now had to talk with some of the staff to make sure that this plan didn’t fail. Arriving, I got out greeting everyone as I was being bombarded with flashing lights. Smiling, I waved causing me to look around until I found Jackson as he was standing off to the side in wait. Making my way over to him, he had the biggest smile ever as he took my hand causing us to greet everyone together this time. It took a while but we finally made it inside and once we did, I pulled him out of the way to tell him about the plan.

“Tonight, Hyung is going to propose to Junhyung Hyung, and it’s our job to make sure that he has no idea and that this goes smoothly, okay?” His eyes blew up but I covered his mouth so that he wouldn’t start screaming. “Shush! I’ll tell you the full plan after the premiere okay?”

He nodded which had me sighing in relief because this was going to be amazing. Getting back into line, there were more reports inside as they snapped photos of us standing up front with everyone else. Everyone was introduced as a mic was passed around causing us to give our best smiles, and as the mic finally came to me I started to feel nervous once more.

“Hello, I’m Seo Eunkwang and I play the role of Park Kwangho, it’s a pleasure to be here.” They clapped as they did for everyone else allowing me to take a deep breath as I passed the mic.

“Hello, I’m Jackson Wang and I play the roles of Lee Dongmin and Lee Taemin, it’s nice to meet you all.” After the introductions they asked us the typical questions about how we felt playing these roles and blah blah.

Finally, we sat down after what felt like forever as we were about to see what we worked so hard on. I was seated next to the director and the families were seated a row below us which had me shaking. What if they didn’t like it? What if we ruined this director’s reputation because we did a horrible job? No, we did our best and everyone said that we did good, so we shouldn’t be worried, right? Right. I was out of breath from my thoughts alone causing me to in a lot of air as music started to play. I think I’m going to throw up.

The opening scene was the one that we filmed on the first day causing the memories to flood back as it was kind of awkward now that I think about. It had gone well, even the intro had me freezing up a little as it was a little scary. An hour or so had passed when we had gotten to the scene of me running through the school and as the music got intense Jackson and I were holding onto one another for dear life. I know it’s a thriller by why is it so heart stopping? Our death scene was the highlight of the whole film as majority of the people watching had tears in their eyes, even me; they captured the horrible yet beautiful way it was explained in Dongmin’s journal entries perfectly. The screen had gone black for a while after causing us to all wait for what was coming next. The news of their actual deaths had started to play as the news anchors voice seemed to drill into your brain only to start being accompanied by real life pictures and journal entries. A picture of when they were younger, when they were close, popped up onto the screen as it showed all three as they had the biggest smiles a child could have; and then the credits started to play as my voice filled the theater making the song even sadder than it normally was.

It was quiet for a while as the production was mind-blowing. We left after the director gave his closing words telling the reporters to stay seated as he had some more information to relay to them. Thanking the people that had showed up, I made my way over to the staff as I began to talk to them about the plan for the proposal. I ended up having to speak to at least five different people before getting an okay as they told me to find them when I was ready to do it. Thanking them, it was the last thanks I gave, I headed out to meet Hyung as I told him what I had did causing him to hug me. Patting his back, I smiled as he was such a mess.

“Ah, back off.” Pulling apart, we both looked over at Jackson as he was giving us both a playful glare.

“Never! I’ve known him way longer than I’ve known you, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to give up on our love for one another.” His jaw dropped as Hyung was joking around making me laugh. “Nah, I’m kidding, you can have him. He’s been getting on my nerve for the last few years.”

“HYUNG! How could you?” Faking my tears, we all started to laugh before huddling as Jackson said that he sent Junhyung to get some gift he brought, which meant we had more time.

“Do you know what you’re going to say, Hyung?” Jackson asked what I’ve been meaning to causing us to both look at him as he shook his head. “Oh, my gams! How could you not know?”

“We’ll worry about that on the way there, get in before we’re late.” Ushering them both towards the van, I could start imagining that this was going to fail.

The whole car ride felt like the first one but this time it was a lot rowdier as Jackson kept screaming about Hyung not putting his feelings into words, whatever that meant. By the time we had parked, Hyung had been scolded at total of ten times but he at least had a better understanding of what he was going to say. Shaking my head, I took off my jacket as it was hot, and getting out I gave Hyung a good luck pat before making my way inside as the venue was crowded. I guess everyone enjoyed the movie. Making my way through the small groups of people as they were everywhere I stopped speaking to a few people as they introduced me to others that I didn’t know. It was fine for a while as that meant more people I could talk to, which was nice because now I wouldn’t be stuck in the house all the time.

Laughing at a joke that was made, I turned away for a quick second catching a waiter as he walked past with a tray full of drinks. Taking one, I thanked him before going back to the conversation as they were talking about some movies that they were going to be in, or that were coming out next year. As I listened to them I realized that being an actor/actress was a lot of hard work, especially since a good handful of them were on constant diets and workout regiments. I think I’ll stick with singing. Excusing myself, I made my way over to Jackson as Junhyung Hyung had finally arrived which meant that we needed to pick the best timing to do this.

“Eunkwang! Come here, I want you to meet my new friend.” Grabbing my hand, I looked at the person he was speaking of to see that I knew them from somewhere. “Jooheon this is Eunkwang and vice versa.”

“It’s nice to meet you, again, Sunbae.” Letting go of Jackson’s hand, I shook his as I was starting to become annoyed with my now poor memory.

“You two know each other?” Nodding, I looked at the other as he was staring at me with a warm smile. “Where did you two meet? When did you meet?”

“It was when I was debuting; I gave him a copy of my album and he gave me some good advice.” Now I remember, he was that underground rapper that got famous from that hip-hop competition show.

“Yeah, you’ve really changed from the kid that was fascinated by everything. I’m glad that we could meet once more, but if you don’t mind can I take Jackson away for a few seconds.” Dragging Jackson a few feet away, I looked around spotting Hyung as he stood in the corner talking with the love of his life; well that was really objective but it can be said in this instance.

“Should we go in now, or wait another hour?” Looking at his watch, he nodded causing me to stare at him in confusion as that didn’t answer my question.

“It’s about to be midnight in exactly 15 minutes, so let’s go so that when the clock strikes twelve it can signify the first day of them as fiancés.” He was way too excited, but I was as well.

Telling him to find Hyung, he left leaving me to look for the staff that I spoke to earlier. It was easy finding them and once I did, they helped me make my way to the DJ as I took the mic causing the music to cut out. All eyes were on me now as they wondered what I was doing causing me to smile as the lights dimmed a little.

“Today is a very important day as we’ve premiered the movie we all worked so hard on to the general public, but it is also important because the person that has helped me throughout many hard times has something he wants to say.” Motioning for Hyung to go, he was handed a mic shifting all the attention towards the center of the room.

“Uh, this is more awkward than I expected it to be, but none the less I’m going to get this off my chest.” Grabbing Junhyung Hyung’s Hand, he slowly descended himself onto one knee causing the room to become filled with whispered. “Yongie, I’ve fallen head over heels for you in a little over a half of a year, and in the beginning I was reluctant to fall in love. But after meeting you in the weirdest way I have come to find out that I shouldn’t have been so reluctant; I should have gone for it head on and I’m sorry that I delayed it until now. I love you, no, I’m deeply in love with and it would make my year if you would spend the rest of your life with. Will you?”

I was holding my breath as was the rest of the room as we waited on his answer. Covering my mouth with my hand, I gripped the microphone holding it by my waist so that no one heard my internal screams of nervousness. Hyung had the box opened and everything, he just needed to say yes.

“Yes.” The room erupted into cheers as I was on the verge of passing out because that nervousness turned into pure happiness as Hyung deserved this.

He has been an awesome person for as long as I could remember and no one has made him as happy as Junhyung Hyung has. I should sing for them; it would be the perfect gift. Turning I asked the DJ if he had the instrumental for ‘Uphill Road’ and after a few minute he nodded causing me to give him a thumbs up because I hope Hyungs will remember these words in the long run.

Our smiles will disappear now

Just look at this road

Yes, before we climb it, let’s remember each other’s smiles

We might not see them for a while

Our gentle sloped path that we passed was filled with sweet scents of love

Now there is sticky sweat and roughly exhaled breathing

That might be our only conversation

Hyung stared at me with a smile on his face causing me to give it back as he asked for Junhyung Hyung to dance. After accepting, they became to do a slow two-step as if this was their wedding day causing me to laugh before a hand slowly grabbed my own. Squeezing it, I continued to sing knowing that Hyung would join in when he wanted to.

One step, now it’s just one step

Don’t look at that faint end

Like the flat road, keep looking at me

Then I can endure it

Others soon joined in on the dancing as the hook ended making my smile get even wider as this would be talked about for the next few days to come. I hope only good things come out of it.

I love you, who is going on this path with me

You, who chose me, who is difficult

If the wind blows sometimes, look at the landscape faraway

Our path is beautiful as much as we climbed up

Remember, even if we let go of our hands

Don’t be alarmed and don’t get lost

When we can’t climb any further, the peak won’t be too big

So we will meet again, if we climb up

Hyung joined in causing me to pull away as I let his voice finish off the rest of the song. It was a beautiful sight and even though Hyung gave up on being a trainee all those years ago, his voice was still there as it held nothing but sweetness. My hand was let go causing the arm that it was attached too, to sneak around my waist and pull me into its side. The night didn’t fail which was the best part, well and the fact that Hyung said yes, but everything was going so smoothly. I don’t know what I did to deserve so much love in my life but I’m more than thankful for it.

~~~~

Uphill Road by Yoon Jongshin (x)