Summer*

Our Winter Ballad

It has been a few weeks since my breakdown, and even though I said that I wanted to be left alone, I got the feeling that Jackson doesn’t know what those words mean. He’s been dragging me around on unexpected dates not even given me any time to breath. I really wish I had a bigger schedule during the summer but I don’t do dance music and summer ballads don’t do all that well unless there’s a popular feature. And to be honest, I don’t know that many popular features, or rappers, I should really go out more.

“What are you thinking about so earnestly?” Flinching, I turned around not expecting to see Changsub holding a lunch box.

“Jeez! Can you make your presence known when you enter the room?! I almost had a heart attack.” Taking a deep breath, I stood taking a seat on the couch so that he could sit with me. “What’s this?”

“I thought I’d bring my honey a snack.” My face scrunched up at his words because he was being weird which meant he probably wanted something.

“Out with it before I lose interest.” Opening the lunch box, I saw a sandwich so grabbing it I took a bite as I waited for his answer.

“Well, I was wondering if you could house sit while Hyunsik and I go on vacation?” Swallowing, I rolled my eyes because no one really knew where they lived anyway, so who would break in?

“You act like you guys have a pet or something; I’ll make sure it gets cleaned but I’m not going to stay there for the whole time you’re gone.” Standing once more, I head to the kitchen as the bread was choking me. “How long are you guys going to be gone and where are you going?”

“A month, give or take; it’s a cruise.” Coughing, I almost died as this was news to me.

“How did you get one of the most stubborn men I know to leave his precious studio and go on a cruise for a month “give or take”?” He gave me this look causing me to wave my hands as I was sorry that I asked in the first place.

“It took two whole days but I did it and him.” Gagging, I began to hum loudly as no one wanted to hear about their bedroom business, especially me. “Anyway, thanks. I’ll be leaving now; I have to go pack.”

“Bring me back something!” Scoffing, he laughed even though I was serious because it’s been a few years since I left Korea or went on any type of vacation.

“Oh before I forget…Here!” Looking over a pair of keys were flying at me, so scooting over I let them fall next to me before picking them up as they were familiar. “Keys to the house and his studio, make good music while we’re gone.”

He was gone before I could respond leaving me to stare at an empty doorway. . Sighing, I the TV as I was now left with nothing to do, well besides waiting as Jackson would be here any minute to drag me off to some place I would hate but soon like. This was starting to become repetitive and boring. I shouldn’t have spent the first half of the summer doing ‘Immortal Song 2’ because now I feel as though I’ve worn out my welcome, but other shows should be calling as well. I guess I’m not summery enough. Maybe I should produce a track with a rapper, I’ve got nothing but time anyway. Or maybe a cover, I haven’t done one of those in a long time.

I was brought out of my million and one ideas by my phone going off as it signaled that I had a message. Checking it, I was quite surprised as he wanted to reschedule our date for another time. Agreeing as I couldn’t really say no as it pertained to business, I was now alone with nothing to do, for real. Sighing for what felt like the millionth time, I looked at the keys in front of me and with nothing else to do I think I’ll head to the studio. Catching a taxi, I arrived in front of the company to see that no one was really here. Is it a holiday or something? Because this place is usually swarmed with fans for the idol groups, they’re even here when the idols are not. Shrugging it off as it was none of my business, I headed inside and straight to where I was supposed to be. Opening the door, it was extremely dark, so turning on his mood lights the room filled with this blue glow causing me to wonder why he didn’t use it all the time.

Taking a seat in his beloved chair, I spun around in it a little before powering up his computer only to see that he was working with someone before he had to go. So, being the nosy person that I am, I clicked on the file causing the song to blast through the speaker. My ears were ringing causing me to quickly reach for the volume knob on the soundboard; after turning it down, I restarted the song as it allowed me to fully enjoy the song.

To be honest

Nuna, when you went to the bathroom

I saw your texts, 14 missed calls, an overflow of all kinds of models, singers, actors

Nuna, please stop flirting with me

I know you have a lot of guys

Again, leaning in with your pretty face

Why do you act like I’m the only one?

Nodding along, this song was really good but since it wasn’t mine I shouldn’t snoop around too much. Turning it off, I opened a new file before getting on YouTube as I began to search around for songs to cover. A few seemed nice but none of them really jumped out at me. It took a few extra minutes before I realized that covering an older song would hold more meaning, but then again, not too old seeing as how a lot of people don’t listen to music that started everything. Thinking of old songs that I used to sing a lot, I finally choose one and after finding the instrumental for it I grabbed one of his extra mics. Setting everything up, I had the instrumental on stand by while I situated my phone and once everything was in place I could finally breath.

“Let’s do this.” Cheering myself on a little, I cleared my throat as I pressed play letting the instrumental fill the room that I was in.

You’re by my side but there’s nowhere to put my heart

You’re holding my hand but there’s nowhere to put my heart

Our past memories hang on the sky

And my heart sets, shining crimson

Even the words of love scatters above the sunset

And the shadows lengthen

Let’s break up, let’s just break up without looking back

What was the point of love, even our habitual kisses

Feel coarse like sand

Stopping the music, I ended the recording as this was bringing back some crazy memories. Whew, I need a life. Editing the video, I uploaded it to SNS making sure to tag the original singer before following it with a witty comment. Posting it, I put my phone down as I started to clean up this amazing but dirty studio as there were food wrappers hidden in small places that only he would think of, well besides me. Chuckling to myself, I paused cleaning to throw on a song that I pass time with and once the mood was set I got back to my scavenger hunt.

It took a while but as there were no more food wrappers and the garbage can that was once empty was now full, all I could do was sigh because my friends were a mess. Plopping back down, I did a couple of mandatory spins just to be sure that the chair didn’t get stuck from me pushing it around. I’m just glad that it didn’t break anything as it hit one of his speaker a little too hard. Grabbing my phone, I began to read the comments, replying to a few, and it might sound weird but I was extremely happy right now. I have an amazing fan base, a best friend and his weird producer husband, along with a supportive, attentive, caring, only for me boyfriend. Life was just falling perfectly into place, well besides the few people that can’t seem to stop bothering me. My phone started to ring causing me to flinch once more as I was a little too deep in thought.

“Hello?” I could already feel the smile that was radiating from the other end of the line, and even though he couldn’t see me, it made me smile as well. “I know you like to hear my voice but can you speak?”

“I LOVE your voice for your information, and I was calling as I have some great news.” Sitting up a little, I knew it had to do with his business earlier and seeing as how he used the word ‘great’ it made me a little anxious. “I just got signed onto my company’s Chinese label!”

“Jackson that is amazing news.” If he was here I would have hugged him until he forced me off from not being able to breath. “This doesn’t happen to a lot of people seeing as how companies are usually focused on getting Japanese fans. My baby is going to be the ‘It’ guy in China.”

“Staaahp~ You’re making me blush.” Holding back my laughter as it just seemed like something that would never come out of his mouth; actually, I take that back. “We should celebrate. My place, 8 o’clock?”

“I’ll be there.” Hanging up, I took a deep breath as my heart was beating as if it was going to jump straight out of my chest and onto the soundboard in front of me.

I need to get him a gift, but he never really asked me for anything, so I have no idea what he likes. Think, Eunkwang, think. I have a few hours, so that means I have time to go out and shop but that also means that I’ll have to go somewhere by his place just in case I have to rush. A shirt will do, right? A watch? Why is it so hard to shop for people?! Calm down and get over yourself! I’m just going to go and look for something and if it I’ll probably sing for him to make up for it.

Turning off the computer and Sik’s fancy lights, I locked the door once more making it seem as if I was never in there. Sneaking down the hall, I heard the CEO’s voice and I just knew that if he saw me then he’d ask me to do something I really didn’t want to do. The front doors were right in front of me but sadly I wasn’t sneaky enough. Feeling a tap on my back, I stood spinning around as I came face to face with the one I was trying so hard to avoid.

“Why were you sneaking around? You know, you can hurt your back doing that.” Nodding, I cracked my back relieving some of the pressure that was on my bones from being hunched over like that. “But on another note, I’m glad that I caught you before you left. I was wondering if you would be able to get into producer mood and help a few of your colleagues out.”

I knew it. Trying to hide the annoyed look, I began to think about all the people in the company and I knew I couldn’t deny it. I mean, we both know I have no real schedule besides the movie premiere but there are still some weeks until then.

“Why not? If they’re ready, we can start the day after tomorrow.” His face instantly brightened up causing him to pat my shoulder in delight.

“I’ll tell Doojoon when to get you here. Other than that you’re free to go.” Nodding, once more, I said goodbye before practically speed walking out of there as I just wasted a good ten minutes on that.

Hauling another taxi, I got in asking to be dropped off at the shops near his place. The ride was pretty comfortable as the driver told me that his wife was a fan, and after offering him an autograph, it was smooth sailing from there. I wasn’t one to really talk when I was in the car unless I was with other people, so this allowed me to check out the scenery, even though it was nothing more than tall buildings and sidewalks. Arriving at my destination, I paid giving him the autograph before getting out of the car as I was now faced with my worries once more. Taking a deep breath, I looked around but nothing really caught me my eye. Maybe an outfit? I can buy him a tracksuit seeing as how he wears those whenever he is without schedule. So a tracksuit, some chocolates, and some balloons? Yup, it’s a great idea so I’m just going to stop second guessing myself.

Picking out a tracksuit, I got him a workout one seeing as how he’s always in the gym and I know he likes the ones that a little light on the dark end of the color spectrum, so I got him a grey and red one. It’ll make him more noticeable just in case anyone tries to kidnap him while he’s over in China. Laughing, I just grabbed a random thing of chocolates and tossing those in the bag on top of his new outfit I went to go look for balloons. Checking the whole street of shops, I couldn’t find anyone that sold balloons or even knew where to find them, but I was determined to find them. I’ll even blow them up as I walk to his place, if I have to. Going onto the next street, I found a little shop that looked as if they sold character themed balloons and even though I was a little skeptical I had to remind myself that it was just balloons. Pushing on the door, a bell above my head rang causing at least three people to pop out of nowhere as they were giving me weird looks.

“Good evening, I was wondering if you sold balloons?” There was a pregnant pause before one of the people snapped out of whatever trance they were in as they finally decorated their face in a practiced smile.

“Of course. How many do you need?” Scratching my head as I didn’t think that far, I just shrugged before asking for four as I could tie two on each end of the bag. “Do you want character themed or solid colors?”

“I was hoping to get two black and two gold.” They nodded before disappearing leaving me to look around as this was a children’s shop; that must have been why they were looking at me like that.

They were probably expecting cute little kids but instead they got an awkward guy who hasn’t brought a gift for someone in a while. The door opened causing me to quickly move out of the way as a large group of parents accompanied by an even larger group of children entered. It became hectic as there were kids everywhere touching any and everything but I had become somewhat invisible as I only stood in one spot. I’m glad I paid before the chaos started. My balloons were finally ready and the moment they were in my hand I immediately left as the shop wasn’t even all that big so it became stuffy.

Moving out of sight of the shop, I sat on a bench as it allowed me to tie the balloons while also fixing my appearance a little. I did leave the house without caring but now that I have something to do I regret not dressing up a little bit. Why is it always like this? Shaking my head, I stood beginning my journey to his place as I could hear the fans from over here, well not literally but I could imagen it. I walked with a smile on my face and a spring in my step, I was so happy that I didn’t even care to realize that the sun had set meaning I had 15 minutes’ max to get there. It dawned on me when my phone buzzed signaling that I had a message. Stopping, I checked as he asked if I was close causing me to look at the time as I only had 5 minutes’ left.

Taking off I ran the rest of the way as I was glad that I was closer than I originally thought I was. Squeezing past fans, I finally made it inside causing me to check if the balloons were okay and seeing as how they were still bopping around I knew that I was one step closer to a successful mission. Can I even call this a mission? I really need to stop talking to myself. Hopping on the elevator, my excitement started to build up because life was probably falling in place for him as well. Making it onto his floor, I fixed my hair once more before heading towards his door and once in front of it I knocked three times not really knowing if it was necessary for me to carry on. It took a few seconds but the door had slowly creaked open revealing the man himself Jackson Wang.

“I thought you were going to be late seeing as how you didn’t respond to my text.” Rubbing my neck, I smiled as I held out the gift as I didn’t know what to say; my mind had suddenly gone blank the moment I saw him. “But, I see you brought me a gift so all is forgiven. Come on in.”

Following behind him as if this was my first time here, I waited until he sat the gift down and the moment he turned around I jumped at him. He caught me with ease as my legs wrapped around causing me to squeeze his neck. We both started to scream as if we were thinking the same thing because this was just so amazing. Releasing my grip, a little, I looked at him making sure to take in all his features seeing as how I don’t know when he’s leaving or how long he was going to be gone. But none of that matter in this moment, I was just extremely happy that he had come into my life and choose me. Surprising him with a quick kiss, I untangled myself and as I now stood on my feet once more he pulled me into another hug.

“Thank you for supporting me.” His voice was shaky but I didn’t look at him because he was allowed to have his moment.

“Why wouldn’t I? You’ve supported me for so long that it’s only right that I return it.” His grip tightened leaving me a little breathless. “I love you, Jackson. No matter what happens or what you go through, I’ll always love you, okay?”

“Thank you, and I love you too.” Patting his back as a mother would to console her child I couldn’t believe how emotional he got over the smallest things, but that’s one of the things I liked about him.

~~~

Nuna by Owol (x)

Let's Break Up by Seo In Young (x)