Fine. (10)

Keepsake.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It has been so long since your last visit” Yoona’s mom said as she serves the dishes she prepared. “I thought she exchanged you for that ‘stupid’ guy who has been visiting the house”

“Ah, you must’ve missed me auntie” Jessica smiled, redirecting the topic because it is still awkward for her

“Of course! I like you better”

“Me better … or my red ginseng juice?” joked her

“Aiyoo! You can’t be compared to that! Red ginseng is nothing compared to you”

The three of them shared giggles “I was in San Francisco for almost 3 months. Something came up at home … so my uncle have decided to send me to my dad temporarily”

“Oh yeah! You’re a dual citizen” She snaps her fingers “But what happened at home? Is it okay now?”

“Yeah, I guess. My mom was just under a lot of stress and pressure at that time. She wasn’t rational, but I still love her. She’s my mom after all”

“But why didn’t you take our Yoona with you?”

“…”

She wasn’t able to answer, and found it awkward to do so. Is she even aware? Probably not. 

“We b-broke up” Yoona said, breaking her silence

“W-why?” Yoona’s mom saw it coming, but she never really expected it. The two was cuddly and lovely whenever they are around, and Jessica was nice to her, so it wasn’t that hard for her to accept the two’s relationship

“Things just happened like that …”


“Sorry for the uncomfortable dinner …” Yoona spoke as they wait for the cab Jessica booked online. It was Yoona’s mom who insisted about it

“It’s okay” She assured. “It was the truth”

“That guy … I wish that he would make you smile more. Because I like it when you’re like that” She gave a bitter smile and pointing to the car towards them “That must be your ride. Be safe”

“Erh, Yeah, Sure” Was all Jessica could answer


--

“Uhm, Where is he?” Jessica asked the girl when she saw that her patient isn’t on his bed

“Ohhh!” She pointed to the paper with the guy’s handwriting 

‘Please tell Dra. Jung that I am going out for a bit. I am going to the bank’

‘Is there anything you want? I can drop by, if you want’

“Bank? Which bank?”

“I dunno. But you might find him in the … “ She grinned “Nevermind”

“You asked for milk tea huh?”

“I …”

“Okay, milk tea is allowed for today. Only for today, and do not tell Dra. Han I allowed you”

“Piece of cake! I even mastered how to throw the trash without them knowing it came from our room”

She then dialed his number and the guy answered after 3 rings

“Where are you?”

“Hmm, okay. I will be waiting here. If you say so” Chuckled her “Fyi though, I am the doctor here and not you”

“Be careful on your way”

“Dra. Jung, can I ask you a question?” The girl asked after Jessica slids her phone to her coat pocket

“You just did”

“Another one” sighed her

“Ask away. I am nice”

“He talks to you? Like, an actual conversation wherein he uses his mouth to speak?”

“Uh yeah? I called him, and not messaged him”

“He does???”

“Yeah”

“Why?”

“Hmm, I don’t know either” She nodded, thinking about it too – like she did when he first spoke up “Maybe I am cute”

“You said that I am cute too”

“I am cuter then” Jessica stuck her tongue out whilst the girl rolled her eyes 

“For real, pleassseeee” She pleaded

“why?”

“We’re two in this room, you see, but it feels like I am alone!”

“Don’t you like it? You two are like Taylor Swift in her You belong with me Music video”

“Ugh”

“Chaeyoung-ie, you are doing fine already. Your wounds are healing and you are not suicidal anymore” Jessica suddenly turned serious when she sat beside the girl and tracing the wounds on her wrist “I wish that you will live with satisfaction, and then be happy, when you get discharged here. Did you know that you’re the patient I could really connect to?”

“Me?”

“Hmm, you”

“Why me?”

“I am an only child, you see. My mom had me when she was old enough, so even if I wanted a sibling back then, it wasn’t possible anymore. The labor was killing her. At first I didn’t know it, but when I got the knowledge, I understood her. Since I am an only child, I was raised in a strict parenting. But my stubborn self doesn’t comply” she paused because she let out a soft laughter “Even if mom is busy, away, or is sleeping, I would always search for her when I reach home. Dad’s business was US based, and mom insisted that I grow up with her”

Chaeyoung listens on

“I didn’t mind. Whenever it’s a vacation from school, I would fly to San Francisco as soon as I can. There was a time when my dad and I joked my mom that I wouldn’t be coming back, that I liked it there so I don’t want to go, do you know what happened?”

“She panicked?”

“No, She flew to US the same day and fetched me herself. It was her birthday, and she didn’t even realized it”

“Dra. Jung, you’re closer to your mom. My mom would never. So, how are we the same?”

“This part,” Jessica answered, continuing to tell the girl a story “Like that, I grew up really spoiled to my mom, even if she doesn’t dote on me like other parents. Until my friend got bullied for being friends with me. That irked me, there was no justice. During my high school days, I found out who is really my friends, and who only needed me when they need something from me”

“Did you … “ Chaeyoung looked at her wrist

“No, worse” She smirked sadly “I learned to fight, to participate in gang fights and everything. My mom thought that I was rebelling since she fetched me in US. Since then, mom was more of the disciplinary type. I can understand her though. Had she remained to be the same as before, I wouldn’t learn, and I wouldn’t probably here, to where I am”

“Disciplinary? Like, she hits you?”

“Yeah, or she makes me hold up books over my head. My uncle said that I would look like a tamed puppy”

“How sad …”

“But things are better now” She smiled “My mom and I are like before, like best friends. She protects me from my granny. So, you do not have to worry about the rumors, okay?”

“Are you better now?”

“No, not yet” She sighed, thinking of Yoona again “I thought I am, but nothing ever goes my way recently. My mom, my granny, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter