The Past

Peutin High

“Rena! Don’t try to kick the ball to high!”

“Roa unnie, keep your eye on the ball”

“Guys, come on give me a good game!”

Yuha was shouting instructions to her soccer team mates. As the captain of the team she had to make sure that everyone was focus on the practice. She was known to be very good in sports and hailed as the number 1 student in terms of Physical Education which was the reason why the teachers in that department fancies her so much.

Xiyeon recently joined the team and quiet struggling with it. She couldn’t control her kick and the ball would go in different directions. She really doesn’t play soccer but joined the team because of Rena and she had an ulterior motive.

The rest of the girls were watching them from the bleachers. Eunwoo was all out cheering for them, she was shouting everyone's name which made Kyla somehow annoyed.

“Unnie, can you please stop shouting is not even a real game” she commented.

“Shut up and just join me”

“I won’t join you fooling yourself “

“Can you just keep quiet or go back to your room and talk to your cards”

“My cards are why better than you unnie” Eunwoo’s eyes widen upon hearing such comment from the youngest member from their group.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing”

Yehana and Seungyeon were watching them and seemed to be enjoying the little bantering of the two. Eunwoo went back to screaming while Kyla just rolled her eyes.

Kyulkyung was just silent and her eyes following the every move of the blonde girl who keeps on shouting on the field.  Nayoung noticed this and sat beside her. She watched how Kyulkyung was sunk in her thoughts.

“Isn’t Yuha the best?”

“Yes she is.” Kyulkyung answered without looking at Nayoung.

“Isn’t she pretty”

“Yes” Nayoung saw that seemed like Kyulkyung would just answer yes to any of her question and she took this opportunity to trick the younger girl.

“So, do you love her?”

“Yes…wait, what? Unnie!” Nayoung laughed at the sudden reaction of her. She knew that Kyulkyung was confused, she wanted to help but she wanted Kyulkyung and Yuha realized what they really feel towards each other.

-0-

They were again in their usual spot in the cafeteria when they were approached by Chanmi. She invited Kyulkyung to be the muse of their upcoming basketball match. Kyulkyung nicely declined the offer as she was also chosen as the soccer team’s muse. Every term, Kyulkyung will be offered to be every sport in their school as muse but she would always choose the soccer team which everybody knew the reason why.

Chanmi somehow triggered a challenge in which was directed to Yuha. She asked her for a basketball match in which the blonde girl accepted. Yuha couldn’t let her guard down despite the protest from her friends. She knew she’s not good at basketball but she somehow couldn’t let Chanmi embarrass her in front of the other students.

It was the day of Chanmi and Yuha’s one-on-one basketball game. The 10 of them arrived in the gymnasium and was baffled to see a huge number of crowds. It was like a major event which was like a match of the century.

Yuha was feeling nervous, she didn’t know why she said yes to Chanmi’s challenge. What she knew was she couldn’t let her pride be hurt. She wanted Chanmi to eat dust and stop bothering her. Kyulkyung grabbed Yuha’s arm, the latter turned around and it was obvious that Kyulkyung was also worried.

“You don’t have to do this for me”

“This is not just for you, this is also for us, and so she can stop bothering us” Kyulkyung was about to say something else but Yuha turned around and left.

The rest of them could feel Yuha’s nervousness, they couldn’t stop her. They have no choice but to support their friend’s decision. Roa however had the best back-up plan. She whispered something to Kyla in which the youngest agreed.

The game started and Chanmi was clearly showing off her skills but Yuha would not let her win the game. Yuha scored the first point but Chanmi was able to quickly recover. They were exchanging points but it leads to where Chanmi was leading the game.

The referee called a time out and Chanmi was leading by 5 points. Yuha went to her friends and was clearly worried. She looked across the court and saw Chanmi was grinning.

“Yuha what’s wrong focus on the game, not with Chanmi” Rena said

“You can go easy on this” Eunwoo said.

“I can’t, I can’t let her have Kyulkyung as their muse” this earned ooh from the group but Yuha quickly stated her reason.

“I mean, she’s our soccer team’s muse so...” the rest of them wanted to believe what she was saying but they know better. The game started again and it’s time for Roa’s plan. She tapped Kyla and the younger girl no needs further explanation.

Roa could manipulate the 5th element which was the humans while Kyla have psionic power. They were clearly controlling the game. Roa was controlling Yuha. She was controlling her mind, by doing so Yuha was able to cope up with the score and clearly leading the game.

Another time out was called and Yuha was grinning like a crazy. She was surprised to see her skill in basketball but she didn’t know that it was because of the help of Kyla and Roa. Last few minutes of the game started and Yuha was clearly getting her pace.

Nayoung noticed what Roa and Kyla were doing. She lightly elbowed Roa, she was asking them stop. She told them to believe in Yuha’s capacity alone. True enough, Yuha was able to showcase her skills, Chanmi lost the game and was really angered by it.

“Kang Yuha! I love you!” a random girl shouted and everybody started cheering for Yuha’s name. She was clearly enjoying her moment. She was clearly happy about the result, this time no help by Roa nor Kyla. Chanmi walked towards her and she could tell that the girl was really pissed. She faced her and wait for her to speak.

“You just got lucky” Chanmi.

“That’s not what the score says though. Next time, choose who will you try to challenge” Yuha said in a cocky grin and left.

-0-

They all went back to their dorm building and was teasing Yuha. They were all surprised to see that Yuha had a hidden talent in basketball. They and started to goof around.

“Thank you for doing that for me” Kyulkyung said to Yuha.

“It’s nothing” Yuha responded and started to goof around with Rena and Xiyeon again. That made Kyulkyung somehow sad as she could feel that Yuha was starting to be distant with her. Yuha would even decline her invite of going shopping together. Yuha would always reason that she and Chaekyung would see each other.

Somehow Kyulkyung feel neglected. She felt sad but couldn’t blame Yuha for being like this. She felt that it was her fault. She made Yuha like this. She made Yuha distant. She felt that foreign feeling again. She didn’t understand, she couldn’t comprehend.

She was clearly confused. She was the queen of the school. She could get anyone she wanted in just a snap of a hand but she couldn’t understand why her heart wanted Yuha. She wanted her back but she felt it was too late.

Nayoung could clearly see the dilemma that Kyulkyung had. She dragged Roa into a corner and pointed to Kyulkyung. Roa didn’t need any further explanation. She knew what Nayoung was thinking and she nodded. They need to talk to both Yuha and Kyulkyung.

The rest of them went to their room but Kyla and Eunwoo were left in their dining table. Kyla wanted to leave quickly as Eunwoo kept on talking. Kyla was annoyed as how talkative and loud Eunwoo was.

“Unnie, can you please be quiet for once.” She pleaded.

“What, I’m just telling you how cool Yuha was”

“I know unnie, I was there”

“Why are you always like this?” Eunwoo continued her ranting. The girl kept on talking and talking.

“Let me eat in peace, unnie please! If you don’t stop”

“What!? If I don’t stop what?” Eunwoo challenged, she decided to tease the youngest and continued talking. Kyla sighed and couldn’t take it anymore. She moved her chair and held Eunwoo’s face with both of her hands. Eunwoo was aware of what Kyla was doing but kept on talking. She was about to say something but Kyla silenced her with a kiss. Eunwoo’s eyes widened. She was flustered by the maknae’s action but she felt a chemical reaction in her body that she couldn’t understand. She was somewhat enjoying it.

Kyla broke the kiss and stare at Eunwoo intensely. She giggled at the baffled Eunwoo, she stood up and brought the plates with her. Eunwoo was still shocked. She touched her lips and smiled. She did like the kiss.

-0-

Nayoung and Yuha were in their room, Yuha was preparing to go to sleep when she saw Nayoung staring at her.

“Unnie, is there something wrong?”

“It’s about you and Kyulkyung” Yuha’s face started to react differently and tried to play it cool.

“What about it?”

“Stop playing and follow your heart”

“I am not playing unnie, it is just that, I am not sure if she will accept me”

“You can’t see her affection towards you?”

“I do but I feel like she is doing so because of what happened”

“Open your eyes and your heart Kang Yuha, it’s time to let go of the past”

“I don’t know if I’m ready. I don’t want to lose another person I love”

“If you let your past trapped you, you can’t move forward” Nayoung’s words struck Yuha. She was right, she was dwelling to much with her past.  She couldn’t forget it. She couldn’t forget the day when she lost her first love. She couldn’t forget Haein.

It was back in middle school when Yuha have Haein, she was her girl, her one true love. Yuha was an Elastin but Haein was a no-maj, yet this difference did not stop the two from loving each other. Haein was Yuha’s everything, her happiness, her dream until that were all taken away from her.

They were on their way home when a group of stregois blocked their way. Yuha was fearless, she would fight the world for Haein but her strength was not enough and Haein’s life was taken away from her.

She was fighting them, Haein was held captive. She was losing her energy, she was down in the floor. One of the stregoi was about to hit her, she knew it was her end, she heard a loud bang but she can still feel her breath. Only to find out that Haein blocked that strong smashed.

She saw Haein’s face, it was covered with blood she held her in her arm and used all her remaining power, that’s when Nayoung found her and froze the stregoi to death. They were able to win the battle but that cost her first love’s life.

From then on Yuha's smile was gone. She lost interest in life. She was alive but dead from the inside. She was losing hope until the day Kyulkyung entered Peutin High. She was her new reason to smile, she was her new reason to live. She was in love with her but she was afraid. She was not sure if she could give love a second chance. She was just unsure so she kept her feelings for Kyulkyung.