Hobgoblin

Peutin High

The early morning news made Eunwoo running like a mad man trying to find her friends. It was terrifying and interesting at the same time for her. She ran towards the crowd of people and literally didn’t mind the people around her. Greetings from people did not stop her from looking after her friends.

She finally spotted Roa, Yuha, Nayoung and Rena in their usual spot in the cafeteria. She headed towards them and literally smashed the table with the newspaper in her hand.

“Guys!” she said smashing the newspaper in her hand to the table which created a loud thud and earned a look from the other students from the cafeteria. Drinks from the table spilled and it startled her friends that were eating breakfast.

“Calm down Eunwoo, you are making a scene” Rena commented.

“What is it that you run all the way here?” Roa asked as they can clearly see that Eunwoo was panting heavily. Yuha handed her a glass of water and encouraged her to drink before starting with her story.

“Look” she said while still panting. She pointed on the newspaper’s headline and all of them diverted their attention to it. Roa took the newspaper from Eunwoo and scanned the content quickly. She looked at Nayoung and the latter did not need any words to understand what Roa would want to say.

“Two people was dry last night”

“Are they here, Yuha unnie?” Rena asked.

“I don’t know and I am not sure if they are the stregois” Yuha responded.

“Nothing was mentioned that it was a stregoi but we all know it could be them.” Nayoung commented.

“Or could it be another creature we don’t know of?” Eunwoo wondered.

“We are not sure, but let’s all look out for leads from the authority. They seem to be on it” Roa suggested.

“But unnie, remember that this has been happening since last month, I wonder how the investigations goes.”

“We don’t know Rena, right now what we can do is wait.” Roa responded.

Nayoung encourage them not to dwell too much on it and continue eating their breakfast. All the other girls agreed. They munched on their food and noticed that Yuha was not eating properly. She would just eat a bit and put the food back to its plate. Yuha was not usually like this. Food and Yuha couldn’t be separated but surprisingly she was not eating well.

She earned an elbow from Roa, asking her if she was okay. She nodded but Nayoung and Roa could clearly see that she was not. She tried to eat and hide what was bothering her but Nayoung noticed that Yuha was looking at something or someone rather. She followed Yuha’s sight and saw what was consuming her friend’s attention. She mouthed it to Roa and the other girl diverted her attention to where was Yuha looking. She nodded and sort of understood why Yuha was being like this.

Her eyes were fixated on the girl four tables away from them, that girl was busy giving her autograph and taking selca with the other students. Yuha sighed, she knew they were so different from each other. They were under the same sky, breathe the same air but definitely living a different world. She was so popular and she was just an ordinary student. She was kind of jealous not with her popularity but the people around her that she was giving attention to. How she wished she could the same thing to her but she was just too famous for her. What does she expect, Kyulkyung was the queen of their school.

Ever since the first day she saw Kyulkyung, her image was engraved in her mind and soon it was the name that heart was beating. Her beauty was just captivating, her smile was just so alluring, her eyes was just so tantalizing. She never expected that they would become friends. Thanks to Nayoung, she was able to build a relationship with Kyulkyung - as a friend. She knew her place, Kyulkyung only sees her as a friend.

She never dared to confess as she was afraid that she would be rejected. She was thankful enough with the kind of relationship that they shared. She was thankful enough that she could be with her. She was okay with this, looking at her from a far, okay with being Kyulkyung’s shopping partner. How she wished it was more than that.

Finally, Kyulkyung stood up and went to their table she sat beside her and asked what they were talking about. Eunwoo showed the newspaper and told her about their thoughts. Yuha was side glancing her. She was about to speak when group of students all of a sudden appeared in front of them.

“Kyulkyungie, do you want to watch our basketball try-out later?” the girl asked.

“I’m sorry Chanmi unnie but I have a class later”

“Come on, you can be our guest judge”

“Don’t you guys base it according to the skills? Besides, she said she can’t” Yuha responded. It was obvious that she was pissed by Chanmi’s appearance in front of them. The girl was known to be one of Kyulkyung’s avid fans.

“I am not asking for your opinion, so shut up loser” Yuha couldn’t believe what she heard. 

“What did you say?” she stood up, her button was pushed. She was ready to punch Chanmi but Kyulkyung stood up in between them.

“Woah, you guys chill” Kyulkyung said in between the two of them her hands both raised totally asking the two to stop whatever they were thinking. Roa was pulling Yuha down but that didn’t work. Kyulkyung declined Chanmi’s offer again and asked her nicely to leave them alone for now.

“What’s with the temper” Kyulkyung asked, a bit pissed with Yuha’s attitude.

“I was just asking her to stop forcing you”

“She was asking nicely” Yuha couldn’t believe what she heard. She felt like Kyulkyung was defending her.

“Are you defending that girl? She was clearly trying to hit on you.”

“She was just asking me to watch”

“Oh my god Ju Kyulkyung, are you blind? Do you really think it was a friendly invite?” Yuha was in the verge of exploding. She knew that Kyulkyung was friendly and sweet but sometimes the girl was just to kind.

“What’s up with you? Are you jealous?” Kyulkyung’s voice rose a bit.

“You know what, never mind” Yuha couldn’t take it anymore and left, Eunwoo tried calling her back but to no avail.

“What’s up with her?” Kyulkyung asked. All of them shrugged, Nayoung would want to tell her what seemed to be bothering Yuha she was not in the proper position to do so. No one expected that their little conversation would turn out like this.

Yuha went to the gym and decided to clear of her mind. She hit the treadmill and started off with a fast pace. Workingout makes Yuha think, it clears her mind, it is also her escape to whatever dilemma she is trying to avoid.

Each passing day her feeling for Kyulkyung just grew. Being with her most of the time just deepens whatever feelings she had for the younger girl. She thought that she was just infatuated with her when she first saw but being with together for the past 2 years in school was not helping her forget what she feels.

She was going faster and faster and the treadmill almost hit its limit. Yuha’s mind was clearly somewhere else. The machine started to beep but Yuha wouldn’t notice. She was staring blankly to the wall. The machine started to go on a slower pace and Yuha still didn’t recognize the presence that was with her.

“You are going to break that poor machine if you continued doing that” Yuha’s attention was finally caught but her stopping in the middle of a running treadmill made her fall. The owner of that voice help her stood up.

“What seems to be bothering you that you almost made the treadmill explode?”

“Nothing Teacher Hyemin, I was just trying to clear of my mind”

Kim Hyemin was their PE teacher and the gym instructor. She was also Yuha’s favorite teacher. Yuha’s golden proportion was accentuated more with the help of Hyemin. She checked if Yuha was hurt from her fall but the girl would just say she was fine. She let her continue with her workout but reminded the girl of her impeding class.

Day ended and Puetin High’s students rushed to their respective out of class activities. Yuha went back to their dorm just to change her plaid green uniform into workout clothes. The maknae line together with Nayoung were sitting in their dorm’s dining table when they saw Yuha heading outside. Seungyeon invited her for dinner but the blonde girl nicely declined.

She went to the oval and started running, she ran and ran until her speed cuts the thin air. She was running for the past hour and which totally drained her energy. She lied down the floor trying to catch her breath, she was gasping from all the running that she did. She then felt, a cold presence in her temple, she opened her eyes and saw Roa.

“You look hot, this will cool you off” Roa said while holding a bottle of cold energy drink in her temple.

“I control ice remember? My body can cool down automatically” she responded between gasp. She sat down and Roa joined her. The older girl offered the drink which the other did not declined. They kept silent for a while when Roa started to break it.

“It must be hard for you to keep hiding what you really feel for her?” Roa said.

“I don’t know how I was able to do so”

“Are you not going confess?”

“I want to, but competition is stiff, she’s just too popular”

“Why don’t go ahead and try?”

“How?”

“Just say it”

“Is that how’d you confessed with Nayoung unnie?” Yuha asked and she received a nod as an answer. Yuha slightly laugh she knew that it would be hard thing for her. Roa invited her for dinner but she declined.

Yuha went outside the school to buy something. She was on her way back when she heard a loud scream from the nearby alley. She followed the sound and saw a girl and her face was buried in the other girl’s neck. She can see from her position that the girl was trying to fight for her life.

“Stop” she shouted but it was too late, the girl was dry. Yuha gulped as she was reminded by her past. Deja-vu, she thought.

“You’re heartless, come face me” she challenged her. Yuha wished that it was not her. She wished it was not Kim Hyuna. She was a myth, a name that must not be named. All of them would want to meet her but not in this setting. The girl slowly turned around to face her. She was mentally preparing herself if in any case it was her.

Finally, the stranger's face was revealed. Yuha silently thanked the heavens for revealing someone else. She gave a similar vibe, Yuha could feel a strong aura from her. The girl was alluring. She gave a smiled at Yuha, she looked at her.

“How dare you disrupt my supper, you do know that it is rude to do that right?”

“No-maj are not food, they are humans too” Yuha replied.

“Humans? You probably know that they will destroy our world moment they knew about us right? They are nothing but food for me” she said in a confident tone.

“They are not food! Burgers, pizza and salad those are what you called food” The girl laughed at her wittiness. She glared at Yuha.

“Who are you?” Yuha asked. She doesn’t have the time to play with her anymore.

“You want to know? Then come follow me” the girl ran and Yuha followed her. The girl was swift but Yuha’s speed was able to catch up. She was brought to another alley but lost sight of the girl. She ran towards another dark alley but all couldn’t find her. She then felt a breath behind her. She turned around trying to punch the girl but she was punching the air.

She heard a laugh, she was there on top of the grills. She used her power but the girl was really swift. She kept on following her but Yuha was just failing in trying to catch the girl.

“Don’t be a coward and stop running. Fight me!” Yuha summoned.

“As you wish” upon hearing the response, Yuha was immediately thrown in the air through the wall. She stood up and tried to freeze the girl to her position but it was too late. She received another punched and she was thrown into the ground yet again. The girl approached her and Yuha found the opportunity to kick her. They continued to fight and Yuha found her momentum and leading the fight. She used her power and threw the girl against the wall.

“I will spare you your life stregoi, if you will give me a name” Yuha was choking the girl with her arm. The girl tried to fight but Yuha was just pressing harder.

“Don’t make me repeat this or I will kill you, who are you?” she asked once more. The girl was about to say something when a no-maj found them. The stranger was frozen with the scene. Yuha shifted her sight to her which the stregoi found the opportunity to escape. She pushed Yuha and launched herself to the no-maj.  The stregoi held captive the no-maj and threatened Yuha.

“I will kill this girl if you won’t let me go”

“You stregois are clearly cowards” Yuha responded.

“Spare me or her life!”

“Fine, released her” The stregoi saw another opportunity to trick Yuha. They saw a car about to pass by. The stregoi grinned and threw the girl towards the car, Yuha froze the car and caught the girl.

“Are you alright?” but even before the girl responded, Yuha was smashed to the head. Blood started to drip from her head and her eyes started to get blurry. She received another kick and she was now lying on the floor.

 The stregoi ran her finger in Yuha’s bleeding head. She put her finger on . She lifted Yuha and stared at her, she caressed her face and Yuha started to flinch.

“Jang Ye-Eun, remember that in your peace” the stregoi was about to bite Yuha when strong form of lights started to beam into their direction. Ye-Eun escaped right away and the last thing Yuha remembered was that.