Eight

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suga

          It had been too dark for me to recognize her by her clothes. I had been pissed off about not securing the deal, so I tried distracting myself and was drawn to the shadowy figure in the club. She had been dancing with several other people, and I hadn't known who she was, but she was clearly receptive to being touched. But when I had put my hands on her hips and she jerked away like she had been burned, I knew.


          There was fire in her eyes as she had left me on the dancefloor again. She was engaged. She was on the other side. She was an enigma.


          I had found Taehyung and done shots at the bar, trying to numb myself from our loss. I tried not to think of her confidence and perfect acting in closing the deal that she had taken from under my nose. I tried not to think of her toned abdomen and long legs she got up from the table and walked away with Oh Sehun, charming him and manipulating him into her clutches.


          Taehyung had somehow caught on to my extra bitter attitude, but let it be. He had pulled me away from the bar when I had drank too much and was no longer able to comprehend my surroundings.


          I’m pretty sure I had said something dumb and I braced myself as I set up the conference call with Jin, J-Hope, and Taehyung. And sure enough, the first thing is, “Suga got smashed last night after we lost the deal.”


          “Thanks Taehyung,” I growl.


          “How did we lose it?” Jin did not sound happy as he ignored Taehyung’s excessive commentary.


          “We had thought that we were the first ones to get to Oh Sehun, but they got there twenty minutes before we did.” Taehyung explains before adding, “The other side moves faster than they did before.”


          “And somehow she convinced him it would be a smart idea to go up against one of the biggest nuclear energy and biotech companies in Korea.” I finish. “She practically emotionally seduced him.”


          “It wasn’t him that she seduced,” Taehyung yawns into the phone.


          I frown at the implication, “What are you talking about?”


          “Maybe Suga just needs to get laid,” Hoseok jumps in.


          “Keep it in your pants,” I retort back. “The point is that we don’t have the deal and because of that, we have to figure out how much it’s going to make that Byun’s company grow, and stop him before he’s able to secure a patent for his reactor.”


          “There’s another problem.” Hoseok cuts in. “I looked into a person who was moving up in the ranks of my company, and he has absolutely no correct background information. And when I mean none, I mean that even his private life details don’t line up.”


          “How is that even possible?” Jin speaks up. “How did he get hired? Is his education and past jobs even valid?”


          “Wait, is it completely fabricated? Can we get a private detective to follow him?” I ask, uneasy. If their side had planted spies in every company, then winning the reactor copyright would be close to impossible. Thankfully, Hoseok’s company was relatively low-risk due to owning a series of hotels, nightclubs, and travel agencies, but if there was a person with a completely fabricated background in my, Jin’s, or Taehyung’s company, we would be in a lot more trouble.


          “I’ll look into a private detective,” Jin steps up. “Things seem to be quiet on my side, so I’ll take care of that.”


          A knock on the door makes me put the call on mute. “What?”


          “Your phone was busy sir, but Zhang Yixing is here to see you,” The secretary ducks his head.


          “Send him in,” I leave the call on mute from my side, letting the rest listen in.


          “I have what you asked for,” he announces as soon as he walks in.


          “Show me, Yixing,” I demand. If he really had the papers proving that there was a kind of alliance between Jeon Jungkook and Byun Hana before the engagement, I could get an idea to what they were planning.


          “Call me Lay,” He protests, like every single time I see him. It had become a running joke of sorts. Nevertheless, he pushes forward papers proving the contact between the two.


          “Some of these e-mails are referring to something they refer to as Dinner, and I don’t think that’s the original name. They seem to talk in a kind of personal code.”


          I scan through the paper, frowning. Even between themselves, they used references? Park Jimin and his line of work must have made them increasingly paranoid. But I remember Hana tugging on her hair last night, which made Kim Namjoon look more interested in his phone and Park Jimin down another glass of bourbon. That must have been a signal, because by the time she had sent him out of the nightclub, I realized that we had lost the deal.


          “See this?” Lay points to the word ‘childhood.’ “I believe this refers to Kim Seokjin. Most of the e-mails either can’t be deciphered or they’re utter nonsense.”


          I flip through the papers, studying them, but with sentences such as ‘Chips can take sugar and shove it up his a**,’ I felt wary. But Lay hadn’t been wrong up until now, so he was the best lead we had.


          “Anything else?”


          “There’s talks of a possible new board member and her fiancé keeps sending her some kind of note or flowers on the daily,” He shrugs. “Nothing else seems interesting, except for that fact that she has an appointment with Park Jimin today. In person.”


          “In person?” I repeat. “Does that happen often?”


          “No. She normally meets her friends or her team or whatever you want to call them during non-office hours.”


          “What time is this appointment at?”


          Lay’s eyes flicker to the clock. “In maybe two hours.”


          “Update me on that, executive secretary.” I lilt as a dismissal.


          He shudders at the title, “I hate that name.” But he pushes back his chair all the same, taking his cue to exit.


          “Oh, and she seemed oddly upset this morning when she w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter