Ten

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana

          “Park Chanyeol has been confirmed as the new Chair of Communications at the well-known Min Industries….”


          I click the TV off, not needing the background noise. I had been up for almost forty-eight hours on end, tackling issue after issue after fixing the security breach. Honestly, I just wanted a break.


          And now, if Chanyeol was moving up in the ranks under Min Yoongi, then he would have more attention and more checks on his background. I only hope that he was smart enough to know that and plan accordingly.


          I sigh, rubbing my eyes. Any makeup that I had put on earlier was probably smeared all over my face, and I couldn’t get myself to care.


          Brrring.


          I snatch the phone off the receiver, irritated by the noise. “What?”


          “Don’t get snappy with me,” Lay grumps back at me over the phone. “You give me a high enough workload that I have to deal with.”


          “Sorry,” I murmur, rubbing my eyes again and trying to blink away the heaviness. “Just tired.”


          “You and me both,” he yawns. “I’m sending in Jungkook.”


          “Alright. Thanks.” I place the phone down as the door swings open, and upon looking at me, Jungkook starts to laugh.


          “You look like you got run over by a truck,” he sniggers at my bemused expression.


          “Do I look that bad?” For some reason, his presence cheers me up slightly and I prop a hand under my chin. “Wait, are you-”


          He snaps a picture with his phone before I can stop him, and I spring up. “Jungkook!” I run around the desk and he lifts his phone out of reach, eyes full of mirth as I chase him around the room. “Jungkook, delete that!”


          “No!” He yells back with a grin.


          I curse as he jumps over the couch away from me. “Jungkookie,” I whine, using his old nickname. “Delete it, and don’t you dare send that to the group chat.”


          “Too late,” He sings, tapping on his phone as I grab for it. “Oh, I can’t wait for them to see-oof!”


          I yank his arm down, hand closing around his phone as I frantically try to delete the picture while he struggles to pry my fingers off. “Just let me-”


          “No!” He attempts to wriggle away and we lose our balance, toppling to the floor.


          I gleefully hit the little trashcan icon on the picture, even though the damage had already been done by sending it to the group chat with Namjoon and Jimin.


          “Uh,” Jungkook’s voice calls my attention and I realize what position we’re in. His arms are caged around me with a hand at the back of my head, which I presume was to keep me from hitting my head against the ground. I was trapped between him and the floor. I stare up at his face, frozen, as he stares back at me with wide and supposedly innocent eyes.


          But I know better. That’s the face he makes when he realizes he’s ed up and he wants a ticket out. His mouth twitches and I can’t remember the last time I’ve really looked at him. When did he grow up and fill out the shoulders of his suit jacket?


          The door to the office opens and the two men at the door wolf-whistle.


          “I thought this was a fake engagement,” Namjoon snickers, eyes lit up with mischief. “But by all means, please continue.”


          Jimin’s laughing too hard to even comment and Jungkook and I instantly flush. “I was trying to get to his phone!” I protest as Jungkook tries to get off me, miserably failing because our legs are tangled together. “Don’t misunderstand!”


          “Sure,” Jimin chokes out as I push Jungkook off of me, giving his phone back. “Also, you looked fantastic in that picture in the group chat.”


          Jungkook springs away from me, laughing as I growl at him.


          “Why is everyone here?” The laughter in the room dies as the mood turns serious.

         
          “This.” Namjoon slides a package across the desk as I plop into my chair. “You haven’t been back to the villa for a few days, and it’s not the typical advertisements or bills.”


          “And so three people had to deliver one package?” I frown, slightly guilty with the fact that I had been camped out in my office. “A little inefficient, don’t you think?”


          “Well it was supposed to be just Namjoon and me,” Jimin muses, eyes twinkling. “Seems like Jungkook missed his fiancé though.”


          Jungkook flushes again, “We’re just playing the part!”


          I ignore their bickering and rip open the package, only for a small leather book to fall to the desk. I squint with curiosity, flipping open to the first page.

         
          Property of Park Chanyeol


          What the h*ll? Why would Chanyeol send me this when he could just send me a discreet message? I look through the envelope it came in, fingers closing around a scrap of paper.


          Look at the last entry.


          It was definitely Chanyeol’s handwriting. This made no sense.


          “Who sent it?” Namjoon is looking at the book over my shoulder.


          “Chanyeol,” I whisper, and Namjoon tenses, knowing that he was one of our main spies. “A piece of paper in the envelope said flip to the back.”

         
          His fingers open the book, ruffling the pages towards the last entry. We both lean forward to read his scrawl.

          Hana,
          I’m supposedly getting a promotion, which means that my records are going to be reviewed more than ever. I don’t know if I’ll be able to get the information that I just found out to you any other way.
          There’s something fishy going on, and I’m pretty sure I’m not supposed to know, even with my new position. I don’t know anything concrete, but everything should be in here. I think I’ve been found out.
          Be careful. I think there is blood on people’s hands.
                              Chanyeol


          I breathe, eyes scanning the words. Something must have happened between the last time that he reported and now, and he may be in danger.


          “Cut him off,” Namjoon taps the paper, words rolling slowly off of his tongue. “He’s going to become a liability.”


          His words repeat in my head, and my blood rises to a boil in an instant.


          “Cut him off?”  I snarl at Namjoon. There was a reason that Namjoon was usually the brains of our operations, but between the four of us, Namjoon and I got into the worst disagreements. “Like h*ll I’m cutting Chanyeol off.”


          “It’s the smart thing to do!” Namjoon's voice rises with a tone of finality.


          I nearly spit back at him. “He risked his career and possibly his life for us! I will not backstab those who are loyal to us!”


          “Loyalty is going to get you in trouble and it will get him in trouble!” Namjoon growls at me, eyes flashing.


          I don’t back down. “So be it! But I will not turn my back on people on our side!”


          We’re staring at each other, chests heaving and jaws clenched. Jimin and Jungkook are silent as they watch our exchange, swallowing and not intervening. The silence speaks volumes as Namjoon and I stand our ground, awkward seconds ticking by as we play the waiting game.


          Tick. Tick.


          “I agree with Hana.” The quiet words flow out of Jimin’s mouth, which just makes the shouting start again.


          “Of course you agree with Hana!”


          “What is that supposed to mean?” I jab back at Namjoon.


          “You two think about emotions and not logic!” He’s running his hands through his hair, frustrated.


          “A good leader thinks in multiple ways!” Jimin barks back, eyes narrowed into slits. “Your logic will eventually fail without consideration of other people!”


          “Logic is the right way to go about this,” Jungkook’s voice increases in volume over our yelling, which makes us turn into a four-way shouting cont

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter