Fourteen

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suga


         I shouldn’t be surprised when the hospital door opens to reveal a tired and sleepy Byun Hana, but I am when her eyes are bloodshot and swollen. But then I remember what she had done to Jin and how his face twisted last night, and I send her a dirty look.


         “How is she?” She quietly sits down, wrapping her arms around her knees and I feel the need to hit her upside the head and defend my business partner.


         “Why did you send that package to Jin?” My voice is probably much colder than it needed to be, but I was tired of her playing people.


         “Because it was his birthday,” Her eyes are large and unblinking as she tucks her hair behind her ear. She doesn’t bother to question how I knew. “It was late, but I still wanted to give him something…”


         She trails off and I scoff. I couldn’t tell if she was being genuine. “Stop playing with him.”


         “I’m not playing with him.” She sighs, rocking slightly with her hair covering half of her face, watching the girl covered in tubes and listening to the gentle reassuring beeps of the heart monitor. “I don’t know what happened in the past, and I know we’re on different sides, but I thought I would at least try.”


         I definitely don’t believe her. She knows exactly what she did.


         “Why are you here if we’re on different sides?”


         “Why are you?” Her chin tilts up in a silent challenge, still defiant despite her tired appearance. “Neither of us are her family, so why do you care?”


         I can’t answer back to that and my eyes trail to the motionless girl. If I responded with the truth, I would seem weak. It would be too transparent if I lied, because she knew enough about the situation.


         Apparently my silence is an answer enough, and the side of tilts up. “Min Yoongi, a softy? Wonder how that would look like to the industry?”


         “Why do you keep talking if you know that we’re going to tear each other’s words apart for any bit of information?” I growl back, eyes narrowed. She was trying at my patience.


         Her eyes light up, “I was under the impression that we were here for her,” she jerks her head towards the girl. “But if you’re going to feed me information, who am I to say no?”


         I internally curse at the traps so easily craft. That was supposed to be something that we were trained at, but it came so naturally to her.


         “Don’t get ahead of yourself,” I murmur and she sends a teasing smile my way. We sit in somewhat uncomfortable silence.


​​​​​​​          “I’ll be back,” she climbs to her feet and I let out a breath of air that I didn’t know that I was holding.


​​​​​​​          The door shuts behind her and I squint. I definitely don’t believe Byun Hana. She was up to something. The question was what.


​​​​​​​          There was something so painfully lifelike about her, as if the world around her was her dull manipulations. Did she enjoy controlling and destroying? Or was it something that had been forced on her and she had a particular knack for, like I did?


​​​​​​​          She didn’t look like a person that I was trying to outrun. She didn’t look like a person that led the side that my business partners and I were going to start a war against. She looked deceptively ordinary, and it pissed me off.


​​​​​​​          Deceptions were exactly that. It was a form of lying and treachery, and if she was anything like Kim Namjoon, Jeon Jungkook, and Park Jimin, she wouldn’t hesitate to play dirty. But here I was, fraternizing with the enemy in a small hospital room with a comatose girl.


​​​​​​​          I scoot forward in my seat, thumbing through the labels and papers at the foot of the girl’s bed. Ahyeon. Ji Ahyeon. There was nothing about her family.


​​​​​​​          Medically induced coma. Brainstem and brain swelling. Arm fracture.


​​​​​​​          Why was I really here? This girl wasn’t family. But as I saw the mother dying in Byun Hana’s arms and I fought to get to Ahyeon, I felt a sense of responsibility.


​​​​​​​          Yes, the driver had ran a red light. But it was my car they slammed into.


​​​​​​​          But Byun Hana was here too, and I don’t know why she had felt any responsibility towards this girl who had no relations to her. She was annoying and in my way, and arguing with her would just irritate me more.


​​​​​​​          The door slides open while I’m lost in thoughts.


​​​​​​​          “Here,” Hana’s voice pulls me away from the inside of my head. She holding two cups of coffee, with one in front of my face. “I’m probably not the only one who needs it.”


​​​​​​​          Why? Why is she pretending to be nice when she would like to do nothing but stab me in the back? My fingers wrap around the cup of coffee and I can’t help but think that she probably poisoned it.


​​​​​​​          As if she could hear my thoughts, she takes a long swig from her cup and smiles, plopping down into her seat on the other side of Ahyeon. “Tell me about yourself, Min Yoongi.”


​​​​​​​          “Why?”


​​​​​​​          “What else are we going to do while we’re sitting here?”


​​​​​​​          I snort. “Whatever I tell you, you’ll use against me.”


​​​​​​​          “Probably, but same goes if I tell you anything.”


​​​​​​​          I lean forward, realizing I could get some answers without giving too much away. “Alright, how long have you and Jungkook been in a relationship?”


​​​​​​​          The grin on her face freezes and she puts her cup down slowly. “Why is the length of our relationship important?”


​​​​​​​          “Are you pregnant?”


​​​​​​​          “Where the h*ll are you getting this information?” The smile slides off and a flicker of unrecognizable emotion flashes across her face. I couldn’t tell if she was shocked or confused to how I knew.


​​​​​​​          “Not important.” But her response was a big enough answer in itself. “You should know that you’re not supposed to drink much coffee while pregnant.”


​​​​​​​          “I drink my coffee mild with mostly milk,” She shrugs it off. “It’s not like there’s much caffeine.” Her face changes as she realizes the subject change. “But how do you know anything about my private life?”


​​​​​​​          “What, like you don’t know anything about mine?”


​​​​​​​          “We attack your business and your relationships. Not your personal life.” She huffs, turning away. “I’m offended that you don’t do the same. Maybe because you guys don’t really have a life.”


​​​​​​​          The childish insult still gets on my nerves and I snap, “Not everyone ends up being engaged to a child.”


​​​​​​​          “Jungkook is not a child!” She defends him, volume rising. “He may act younger than I do, but he doesn’t act like a child when it counts!”


​​​​​​​          The corner of my mouth twitches at the slight tinge of pink on her cheeks. Got her. Looks like the relationship was real, but I continue anyway, thoroughly enjoying the fact that I was playing with Byun Hana.


​​​​​​​          “What do you know about relationships, hm?” I tilt my head at her, goading her into a trap.


​​​​​​​          “You asked me what it was like to be with a man one of the first times we talked,” She growls back with little effort. “What do you know about relationships?”


​​​​​​​          She didn’t take the trap and I’m left somewhat speechless at her turn around. “What do you mean what do I know?” My voice rises in volume. “I’ve been in several relationships!”


​​​​​​​          Lies.


​​​​​​​          “Oh really?” She arches her eyebrow at me and I can feel the erpunch coming. “The why are you not the engaged one?”


​​​​​​​          Ouch.


​​​​​​​          The door slides open and a furious nurse storms in. “Keep it down! There’s other patients in this hospital that don’t need to hear your arguing!”


​​​​​​​          I duck my he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter