Fourteen

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana


I walk into the second day of the conference with jitters. There were people in the building that were watching my every movement, and people here have an agenda. The only issue is I have no idea what that agenda is, and it has something to do with Yoongi.


Speaking of him, our eyes connect as we both settle into our seats, about half a row from each other. He smirks and I can’t help but flush a little because that smirk brings back memories of last night and how badly I had gotten played.


But our faces quickly settle into masks of indifference as someone starts to speak. It’s funny how easy and fast that mask takes over, because I had to practice and practice when I was younger to show that nothing impressed me and nothing could move me.


And yet, someone seemed to be messing with that lately. And I didn’t know how to deal with that situation.


Most of the more interesting topics had been covered yesterday, but that didn’t stop me from being anxious. Every glance thrown my way, every facial expression, they all felt like a hint or a clue to what’s going on. And after a few hours of overanalyzing, I could honestly say that I was exhausted. I hadn’t even been paying attention to the majority of presenters anyway.


“But sometimes, the results can surprise us, the same way Byun Hana’s engagement did! By the way, I’m invited to the wedding, right?”


The random presenter that I vaguely recognized creates a ripple of laughter through the crowd, and I wave it off with a bright smile. In reality, I felt a little uncomfortable because why would I want a greedy man after my own money at my wedding? Besides, my private affairs were spread enough as it is. What was the point of bringing up my engagement when everyone at the event was aware of it?


But I guess that’s what I get for being a target of the public’s eye. I am always going to be scrutinized and be analyzed as an object, not a person. Because to others, that’s what I am. I am an investor, or a leader in the field, or the head of the company, but I’m not a person. I’m never a person. If I’m lucky, I’m a monster. But not a person.


My eyes quickly glance at the man sitting a few seats down before fixating again on the presenter. Did he ever get tired of it? I had learned over the last few months that Min Yoongi is surprisingly human and vulnerable if he lets people past his barriers, which didn’t seem to happen very often. But did he thrive on the attention? Or did he secretly despise it like I did?


I wish Lay was here. Or Jimin. The both of them usually help me clear my head, but at the same time, they would be more able to do something about the bugs in my hotel room from earlier. And after the actions of the hotel front desk, I want someone to look into that as well. There is so much on my plate. Chanyeol is still in the hospital, and there is no word from Kyungsoo. I don’t have all the details about the shooting in Busan. All I know about Lu Han is that Suho blackmailed him. I have no idea who Tao is. And something about Chernobyl and Taehyung is floating on the mess in my head, frustrating me beyond belief, because I want to work out these puzzles. And for that, I need Lay and Jimin.


But no, all I have are enemies all around me. Or more accurately, people who are hyenas and my money is the object of their scavenging. They are foul, really. Their outright greed forces me into the image of the kinder CEO that is easily taken advantage of. Loved, but not feared.


It is an image that I hate, really, but it’s an image that I’m rather good at. If a male is harsh in their words and work, it is somehow more acceptable than if a female had the same actions. And that means that I had to be more careful, saving my harsh words and blatant manipulation for when times get dire.


I had to learn early that being a female in the business world meant that I would constantly be degraded, disregarded, and dehumanized. And it was something that I learned firsthand. I had been picked apart by the vultures and hyenas of the business world quite early on, but the wolves still give me grief.


One of the said wolves is grinning at the finishing joke from the presenter at his own expense, and even though the crowd is laughing, I can see Yoongi’s mouth slightly twitch in irritation. It seems like I wasn’t the only one irritated by the hyenas today.


The break for lunch is announced at the perfect time, because I could feel my stomach start to curl in on itself, and the last thing I need is for it to grumble during someone talking at the podium.


And while in line, I’m about to pile salad on my plate again, but as soon as I touch the tongs, I retract my hand as if burned. It’s not that I don’t want to eat salad, but I should because it is expected of me. But the burning eyes of Min Yoongi last night remind me that I don’t always have to do what people want. And I wrinkle my nose at the salad, because as much as my father would want me to eat salad to look like the most feminine and healthiest version of myself, I don’t think I could do it again.
 


Suga


The only enjoyable part of the conference is the ending. And I mean the actual end. But before that, there’s a more social time where the attendees dress up in more casual evening wear and mingle amongst themselves.


That part of the conference is easily the least enjoyable part of the conference.


The hotel room is undoubtedly bugged again, so I change in the bathroom, not caring much about my appearance. As a last minute thought, I messily part my hair to show my forehead because I didn’t want to go back downstairs. 


Y: is your room still bugged
Contact 1: probably
Contact 1: I’m changing in the bathroom behind the shower curtain just in case
Y: I don’t want to do this
Contact 1: everyone is going to ask me about my engagement so I really don’t want to do this
Y: do you not like talking about it
Contact 1: it’s my business not theirs
Contact 1: if I get asked for another invitation to the wedding I will kill someone


I laugh a little. Hana really is human, despite the exterior that she exudes in the business community. Even though the majority of people don’t see her as a monster, that doesn’t mean she can’t be prickly or lethal when someone threatens her.


And yet, she gets irritated by the voices of people who don’t matter to her. I don’t blame her though, because I feel the same way. Despite the fact that being the CEO of a major company makes me look down at the mass of people that work for me or compete against me, the words can get to me.


And that solitary ledge I stand on gets lonely. Sure, Jin, Taehyung, and Hoseok are all on their own ledges, and that gives me a sense of solidarity, but sometimes I feel like something is missing. After all, I don’t have a life outside of my business.


I make my way downstairs rather slowly, but as soon as I go through the doors, the attendees call out to me and I pick up a glass of wine, sighing and accepting my fate of spending the next few hours intermingling with people who want my money or influence.


I am pulled toward a group of men who are laughing heartily, and one updates me, “We’re wondering how exactly Byun Hana ended up with Jeon Jungkook.”


I tense a little at the topic of the conversation, because I want nothing to do with it. Not only does it make Hana uncomfortable, but I couldn’t even put the men down because of our rivalry. So instead I shrug my shoulders, “Who cares? Her stocks are doing decent and I’m thinking that I should be messing with that.”


“Oh, any plans?” One leans forward eagerly.


I grin at him, sipping from my glass because of the easy change of subject, “Who knows?”


Greedy pigs.


But the room quiets, and I turn to see the person of their attention. Hana.  


For someone who hates the voices and the gossip, she knows how to shut people’s mouths. The white dress is elegant, refined, and yet somehow makes it look that there’s a halo atop her head as her hair is pulled to one side, exposing her co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter