Nineteen

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suga

          Regret kicks in when I open the door to the flat and Jin turns around, eyebrows raised. We all had the keys to each other’s places, but from the look on Jin’s face, I think I was going to regret giving my key out.


          “Is there something wrong?”


          “Your secretary said you had a meeting tonight.” He purses his lips. “I find it funny that you have a meeting at the same time every night past normal work hours.”


          “Odd coincidence, isn’t it?” The lie slips through my teeth easily enough, but it’s far too obvious that it’s a lie.


          “Suga, I expected more.” He sounds somewhat like a disappointed parent and I force my face to stay blank as he a single eyebrow. “You don’t seem very serious about fixing this mess that your funding group created.”


          “Does it look like I intended for that to happen?” I snap back with more force that necessary. It was still a sore subject. “I’m doing everything in my power.”


          “Including wasting over two hours of your day, for the last week?” Jin’s eyes narrow with a derisive nod. “Sure, all that you can do.”


          “What I’m doing in those two hours is beneficial to our cause,” I hiss, not wanting to explain the hospital mess. “Are you doubting me?”

         
          “Yes.” He doesn’t hesitate.


          I growl, “Well then you can figure a plan of attack with your company,” my eyes narrow back. “Don’t criticize me if you aren’t in my position.”


          He stands up, eyes flashing. “Fine. As if I haven’t been able to understand your position for the last few years.”


          “You clearly don’t understand if we’re having this argument.”


          Jin clenches his jaw, slipping his shoes on to his feet. “I just thought you would be more serious when Byun Hana and her little cohort are the ones after us.”


          I chew on the inside of my lip, suddenly understanding. It wasn’t that Jin was mad about the time lost, it was more about the fact that we were up against Byun Hana.


          But it’s too late. Jin slams the door behind him and I’m left staring at the door, regret bubbling away in the pit of my stomach. He wasn’t entirely wrong. Even though I was using those two hours a day to get closer to Byun Hana and to try to figure out her weaknesses, I had close to nothing.


          I open my laptop, looking for the file that I had tucked away in the corner of a hidden folder. Double clicking it, the next week’s plan flashes up.


          The next plan was to go after the other side for stealing Oh Sehun, who had all but stolen Taehyung’s design. The smug business man knew it too, but played the victim because he was a much smaller company that was against one of the biggest nuclear companies in Korea.


          Everyone secretly roots for the underdog.


          And the fact that the other side had convinced Oh Sehun to join their alliance just put the final nail in their grave. Even if Namjoon was the lawyer backing up Oh Sehun, it would be close to impossible for judges to see the evidence and let Oh Sehun go. The bad publicity would be their undoing.


          But even before that, we needed to use the information about the warehouse to figure out more about the shooting, but because the police had a hold on the case, it was a little difficult. I'd work through the night if necessary; it was getting too close to the Christmas Gala to make these kinds of mistakes.


          I frown, picking up my phone. I should have thought of this before, but I scroll down my list of contacts. I tap at a name, putting the phone up to my ear.


          “Hey, Kris. How’s it going?”

 

 

Hana


          “Hana. Hana, wake up.” The murmurs in my ear combined with the fingers in my hair make me screw my eyes shut.


          “Five more minutes, please,” I moan, nuzzling my head against something warm.


          A husky chuckle makes me open my eyes again, and I crack my eyes open only to realize that my head was tucked underneath someone’s chin. I blink before jerking away, nearly falling off the couch in the process.


          “Good morning to you too.” Jungkook’s mouth twitches as we both sit up, and I instantly feel bad when he grimaces. Couches were not exactly the most comfortable sleeping surface, and I probably hadn’t helped.


          “Morning.” I wrap one of the lighter blankets around my shoulders, letting it trail behind me to the kitchen. “Do you want coffee?”


          “Yes, please.”


          Uselessly sitting down would have just made me more anxious, so I busy myself with the instant coffee and a mug. A cloud of regret was hanging over me and I try to push it away, but it was pointless. Jungkook had said that there was something that he wanted to talk to me about, but I had just wasted both his and my time when he had to take care of me.


          I was weak. The weak didn’t survive. That was the rules of nature.


          The aroma of coffee settles in the air, and the kitchen instantly feels a bit more inviting. “What did you want to talk about last night?”


          “I’ll tell you later.”


          I frown, and he doesn’t make eye contact as he sips from his mug. I couldn’t tell if that was on purpose or not. And I had to tell him about Lay and figure out my plan of attack.


          “Are you sure? Because I’m right here and-”


          “I’m sure.” He smiles lightly, but it’s not the wide smile that reminds me somewhat of a bunny. “Do you want a ride to work?”


          I nod, sipping at the warm liquid. I needed to remember to pack my umbrella today, just in case. I couldn’t count on being taken care of multiple times. Or at all, for tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter