Four (e)

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana


“Jungkook, ten people have called me saying congrats on our engagement,” My tone is rather accusatory as I huff into the office phone, and I can’t blame them because Jungkook’s action could have easily been misconstrued.


Namjoon and Jimin quiet over the conference call, suddenly interested. I roll my eyes. What are they, old women waiting for gossip?


“Well I gave you a ring in a fancy restaurant,” Jungkook muses. “An engagement is what it would have looked like in the public’s eyes.”


But his words have no substance, because I could easily guess that much. If he was in my office, I would be glaring. But he’s not here, so I didn’t answer out of sheer stubbornness.


“Have you responded to any of the messages?” He yawns.


“No, “I snap back at him.


“Keep it that way.”


“Someone set this up,” I didn’t even hesitate to point that out, knowing that my deduction is completely valid. How else could this have happened?


“Actually, we all did,” Namjoon cuts in, which doesn’t explain anything.


“Without my permission? Why?”


“Because one, Min Yoongi and his group would have never seen it coming.” Jungkook explains slowly, sounding somewhat wary of my reaction. “Two, it takes the pressure and public eye off of my new deal and Namjoon’s celebrity client. Three, it gives us a cover to investigate the location near which a person was shot a week ago, which may have a connection to the investment failure. Four, your biotech sector may have accidentally stumbled across a new drug, coming up with direct competition with Kim Seokjin, and the longer that he doesn’t know that, the longer you have to develop and make sure it goes to market. And five, I get to see Jimin mope.”


“If I have to kiss you, I’m calling this fake engagement off.” My eyes narrow at his lengthy explanation. Jungkook must have been getting some tips from Namjoon in dealing with people. But I didn’t appreciate for this action being taken without my permission. “And number five is just unnecessary.”


“Five is extremely unnecessary!” Jimin whines over the conference call as Namjoon laughs on the other line.


“You did all of this without letting me know? The person who is half the couple? What did you expect as a reaction?” I question.


“I expect you-”


“To trust me.” Jimin and Namjoon chime into our popular phrase.


“But in all seriousness, is this really the best way to move forward?” I muse. All of the points Jungkook brought up are valid, especially the shooting. I had to admit, he really is getting more experienced by the day.


“Well, number one would be accomplished easily. He probably already got the news, since Kim Seokjin and Jung Hoseok saw the supposed engagement occur.” Namjoon agrees.


As much as confusing Min Yoongi and his wolf friends is enticing, that is a dangerous move. Most of them are older than us, and more experienced in the power game. As a result, we had to grow up fast.


“The second is also true, and because this is the first time that Jungkook is arranging a deal without the supervision of his parents, they could be out for blood.” Jimin adds. Everyone was slowly getting their conglomerates over time from our parents, but that meant that making deals and moves would come under public scrutiny.


The first day I had spent in the CEO chair, there had been a drop in the stocks, and I had no doubt that those wolves had something to do with it. Almost as a warning and a welcome to the game of power.


“The shooting was labelled as an organized crime effort, and the gun was most likely unlicensed.” I string the bits of information together. “There’s a chance that the black market is involved, to which a prosecutor could go after the group. It’s not bad for blackmail.” My eyes light up, seeing how calculated and beneficial this move could be.


“And your childhood friend Jin would stay off your tail, perhaps in more ways than one.” I could practically hear Jungkook’s grin, teasing.


A dry laugh bubbles up from inside of me. Jin and I hadn’t known the background of our families and the hatred that was between them when we met as children. And now, he has no issue


“Wait, did you ask Hana’s dad before giving her the ring?” Jimin asks.


The silence on Jungkook’s end speaks volumes.


“Oh sh*t.” Namjoon whispers.


Oh sh*t is right, because my door opens to my furious father. “Explain. Or if that’s Jungkook on the phone, he can explain.”


“Close the door,” I murmur, gesturing to a chair. “It was a sudden decision.”


He lowers himself into the chair with a clenched jaw and eyes that make my heart beat faster. Even if he isn’t my father, he would still strike fear into me. And there’s a reason he had been so successful in his long career.


“It’s fake,” I sigh. “It covers my tracks with the drug development and it covers Jungkook’s deal.”


“On top of that,” Namjoon adds, “it gives us an excuse to look into last week’s shooting which may have ties to Min Yoongi.”


“Besides, after Hana’s showing at the Min ball, it would easily confuse the other side.” Jimin points out, coming to my aid and thankfully not adding why it would be so confusing.


“It’s a good move,” Jungkook interjects.


My dad sees the ring on my finger and pauses. His gaze softens before me speaks into the conference call, “Update your parents just in case.”


“Does that mean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter