Fifteen

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suga

          The door clicks shut and I sigh, rubbing at my temples. Spending two hours a day in the hospital was starting to take a toll on my workload, and the only place left for accommodating it was sleep.
 

          It was a shame. I loved my sleep. But I was in the wrong business for that.
 

          The ringing of the phone brings me out of the fogginess of my brain. “What?” I snap.
 

          “Park Chanyeol, the new communications head, is here.”


          “Send him in.”


          I had a meeting with him in an hour with the officers of communication. It wasn’t a scheduled visit, so I narrow my eyes as the door swings open.


          “Sorry for the interruption,” He dips his head in greeting as the door swings open before he confidently plops down in the seat across from me. He looks entirely unapologetic, despite his words. “I wanted to meet you in person before the meeting.”


          His eyes were shining, and I couldn’t tell if he was socially stupid, or he had a hidden agenda for the implied pleasure visit. He looks far too comfortable unlike the rest of the heads of sectors of the company. Almost like he was made for the role. And that itself was a bit unsettling. People grew into the role and with that grew how comfortable they were with the politics of Korean business.
 

          “Is there a real point for this, or is this a pleasure visit?” The almost acidic tone would have made anyone else in the company freeze.


          But instead, he leans forward with a grin plastered across his face. “Wouldn’t you like to know the person who’s completely in charge of your information?” He drums his fingers against the wood of his desk. “And possibly any information that goes out to your business partners?”


          “I take care of any and all information that goes out to them,” I shut him down immediately. “Your work is limited to the company.”


          “Is it really though?” Park Chanyeol’s head tilts slightly, his eyes analyzing. “I suggest that you look through what my security and position allow me to access.”


          He had no access to that information. That I was sure of. But his confidence and my confidence in our statements was enough of a hint to check that everything in the company was secure. But I make a note to check into his access for later because there was something about this man that entirely too comfortable sitting across from me.


          Not entirely unlike Byun Hana.
         

          My eyes narrow. He wouldn’t have been moved up in the company if he didn’t have a clean record; that was a given. He also wouldn’t have been moved up if he wasn’t capable, and the head of communications was central to a working company. Any and all communication to the public for the company would pass through him, and what the public thought of the company would make the value of the company change through stocks.
 

          “What do you know about Byun Hana?” I change the subject of the conversation, and although it should have thrown him off, he didn’t look fazed at all.
 

          “She’s the head of the company that is our biggest competitor.” He answers smoothly. “And she’s a person who would stop at nothing to yank out the rug from under our feet.”


          “That’s a given. We’re the two biggest biotechnology companies in Asia.” I force myself not to yawn, simply because it was unprofessional.


          “You didn’t let me finish. She’s a snake.”


          “And why do you say that?” Suddenly, I was a lot more interested.


          “She will stop at nothing to get at what she wants. Do you not remember what she had done to Lu Han three years ago?” He smirks, a few strands of his hair falling into his eyes.


          My eyebrows shoot up. “Of course.” But I was bluffing because in all honesty, I had no idea what she had done.
         

          “She nearly destroyed his career because he asked too many questions from outside of her company and her coalition.” He scoffs, “And now look, Lu Han has been missing for almost two months. I’m not saying anything, but-”


          “It seems a little too coincidental,” I nod slowly. “She might target him just because he got too powerful again.” The Byun Hana I knew had a very clear switch between her private and professional life. Even if she looked human from the view of her private life, her professional life countered that fact too strongly.


          “What would an investment banker have against the CEO of a biotechnology company?” I murmur more to myself than to Park Chanyeol. “Unless…”


          “Jeon Jungkook. I’m not sure if she was trying to hide something, or if she was protecting her future fiancée, but that is an overlap, isn’t it?” Park Chanyeol sits back in his chair, and my mind is racing to try to connect the pieces.


          “Why has no one made the connections before?” It had been three years, so why was this being brought up now?


          “It probably had been, but no one would have been able to face her head on.” Park Chanyeol shrugs, face twisting. “After all, the company that Luhan worked with was quickly integrated into the Jeon empire not long after.”


          Not only did the situation not make sense, but neither did how Park Chanyeol knew this information. “How do you know all this?”


          “I suppose that you could call us ex-colleagues.” The man admits, eyes still shining. “When I was hired for my first real job, he was in the same company in a different sector, but we met through other people.”


          “Interesting.” I would have to confirm that fact for myself. “And what company was that?”


          “Why don’t you ask your friend Jung Hoseok?” Park Chanyeol pushes his chair back with a smile, eyes flickering to his watch. “I have to meet with a few managers in my sector before the meeting, so I’m afraid I have to take my leave.”


          Wait, the two worked under Hoseok?


          The door shuts before I can say anything and I frown. Did this man just give me another hint of how to take down Byun Hana?

Hana

          Distractions.


          That was what my situation was right now. I wasn’t focusing on work, I was running to the hospital and trying to figure out the mess that our group had thrown ourselves in. Chanyeol’s entries were frustrating because they were vague and held a lot of uncertainty.


          I thumb through Chanyeol’s book again, flipping to the second entry. I had lost so much time by not going through the whole thing by now, and I was a bit upset with myself by not giving it a higher priority.


          Hana,
          Two people I listed as possible spies…I’m not so sure about them. There seems to be a connection between one of them and the underground. Or mafia. Or something. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s not directly related to just Min Yoongi or his side. There’s something deeper. But I have no proof. I’m not sure what I have to do to prove it.
          Chanyeol


          Wait, what? Thoughts swirl through my head as I scan his words again. Chanyeol had to be mistaken. No one else ever comes after us other than the random investor and those Wolves. Our dealings in the companies were honest and clean, so there was no reason that the underground would be involved.


          The Busan shooting may have been the mafia, but that was the opposing side. And if they were using dirty tactics, I wasn’t exactly surprised.


          I sigh, dropping my head into my hands. I rock back and forward slightly as I try to process the information and weave it together with the existing knowledge, but I was coming up blank. All the pieces of the puzzle were not fitting together at all. There was too much missing. There was too many unknowns and variables.


          Hana,
          Being trained for moving up . It’s holding me back from completely investigating. There’s a lack of communication between the higher-ups and the managers in the company, and because of that, it’s becoming more and more difficult to find out what exactly they’re doing. There’s a sector of the research department that is more secretive that the others, and I think it has something to do with nuclear waste. For some reason not much of the company knows about this. I’m not supposed to know about this. If this book falls into the wrong hands, my career is over.
          Chanyeol


          He was too loyal for his own good. One day it would come to bite him. He owed me nothing, and right now, I owed him too much.


          The first day that I had met Chanyeol, he had slung an arm around me and handed me a cup of mystery punch while laughing about how good old Professor Cho had torn him apart in front of the class because he had shown up fifteen minutes late for the exam. It didn’t matter, because he had a TA hooked around his fingers and would do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter