Seven

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana

          “You’re taking the day off today,” Jimin announces, opening up my curtains as I moan and roll over, trying to escape the rays of sunlight. “Jungkook already talked to Lay, who’s fixing everything accordingly.”
 

          “My punishment for pretending to need hospital treatment is spending the day with you?” I frown, covering my eyes with a pillow.
 

          He smiles brightly, “Not me, I’m going to work soon. You get to spend your day with Namjoon.”
 

          “Well as long as it’s not you.”
 

          But I regret my words when Namjoon pulls me into the gym and forces me into the boxing ring with him. He was a lawyer for a reason, and he could dissect and take people apart all day.
 

          “You know,” Namjoon misses my head by barely an inch. “Attacking is a thing.”
 

          “So is defending,” I pant, ducking to avoid his hook. “When you have no experience, running is the best option.”
 

          “Is that what you’re going to do while you’re trying to cover everyone’s ?” His eyebrows raise and his dimples frame his taunting smile.
 

          He’s provoking me. And it shouldn’t affect me. But it does. “My comes first.”
 

          “And then whose? When you turn and run, the rest of us get dragged down with you.”
 

          He’s not wrong. But I couldn’t afford to think that way. Our companies had become so interconnected and woven with each other—we were in so deep—that pulling out would be fatal. Namjoon protected the legality of our actions, Jimin protected the security, and Jungkook protected our money. If anything, I was the odd one out. 
 

          We stop, both of us panting and dropping our hands to our sides. He doesn’t apologize for his words, and I don’t apologize for mine. And honestly, that was to be expected.
 

          “Oh, and Hana?”
 

          “Hm?” I brace myself against the rope of the ring, trying to take in more air.
 

          “I found a person in my firm who shouldn’t exist.” Namjoon’s forehead crinkles.
 

          His choice of words pique my interest. "What do you mean?"
 

          “Exactly that. Not only is all of his registered information false, but I got Jimin to look him up, and there’s no trace of him anywhere.” Namjoon takes off his boxing gloves. “And if there’s someone like that in my firm-”
 

          “There will be someone like that in each of our company’s.” I finish angrily. “Those d*mn wolves.”
 

          “I need your help.” His statement nearly makes me drop my jaw. Namjoon never needs backup or any kind of help. “I need you to help me close a deal.”

          “Keep going.”
 

          “Kim Taehyung’s competitors have a design for a reactor that they think is very similar to his, and they want to make sure they’ll be protected.”
 

          “What does that have to do with me?” I frown. Don’t get me wrong, if we were getting more clues into the other side, it would be a valuable move. But I knew nothing about nuclear energy.
 

          “They’re interested in the recycling of nuclear waste with bacteria for the future.” He explains, “They are strangely insistent they won’t officially sign as a client until they meet someone who is capable of working with the legal team for future plans.”
 

          That sounded very fishy, in all honesty. There were only a handful of biotechnology companies in Seoul, and if they want to beat out Kim Taehyung’s design and take on a future plan with another company, there were very few options.
 

          Unless.


          My eyes widen. “Sh*t. They’re putting us up against Min Yoongi and Kim Taehyung.”


          “Exactly.” His nose twitches as his mouth curves down out of distaste. 


          “It makes sense,” I breathe. My mind is racing as I blabber. “There’s very few biotechnology companies that would be comfortable taking on a project that would be tied to a company that tried to go up against Kim Taehyung. Most logical explanation is that it would be me, unless if they want to ditch the reactor design for money settlement and work with Min Yoongi for the nuclear waste.”


          “And they’re a younger company than that of Kim Taehyung’s, so they would benefit from a merge, ultimately leading to an overall win on their side.” Namjoon nods, mouth twitching and I can’t tell if it’s from the elation of a challenge or out of amusement. “And we can’t let that happen.”


          “Essentially it comes down to if they want money, or if they want co-ownership of a product.” I rip the boxing gloves off my hands. I would not let their side gain more power, because I already had my hands full with them at their current level. “What the do I need to do to get them on your side?”


          Namjoon’s smile slowly unfurls across his face, and I instantly want to take back my bold claim.


          "Dress to kill. We're going clubbing tonight."

          “I regret putting this on,” I mutter, trying to tug down the top part of the dress to not show my stomach. “I feel like I’m wearing something four sizes too small.”


          “You look good,” Jungkook yawns, tired. The poor guy had worked late nights all week and had driven us back from the hospital much too late, and I told him to get some rest instead of tagging along. There were enough rumors about the engagement, so he didn’t need to accompany me everywhere.


          Jimin, on the other hand, was completely pumped to go out and was dragging me out the door.


          “C’mon,” he urges, practically bouncing on his feet. “It’s fine. If anyone looks too long we’ll say that you have a fiancé.”


          Namjoon’s eyes are lit up at the prospect of taking the Wolves down by a peg tonight, “We should probably get going.”


          Instead of chatting like the other two, I look through the company’s files in the dim light of the car. Namjoon closes deals like this multiple times a week. Me? Not so much.


          And if we had exceptionally bad luck and Min Yoongi and Kim Taehyung show up, it was going to be trouble.


          Namjoon said that the client frequented The Crypt pretty often, and with dim lights and lots of noise, it would be the best place to be inconspicuous. The point was to get to the club, find the client, and for him to electronically sign the papers on Namjoon’s phone.


          In order for that to happen, I had to give a good pitch, so I had spent all afternoon analyzing and looking through the company’s proposal and the company’s current concerns.


          And honestly, the best way for our side to win was to convince him before the wolves did.


          I didn’t even notice that the car had stopped, so Jimin reaches over, pulls the papers from my hands, and stuffs them into the back of car seat with a, “Let’s go,” before he tugs me out of the car.


          “Alright, alright,” I huff, pulling down the skirt part of the two-piece dress. Then I pull it up to cover my stomach. And then I pull the top half down and give up, because no matter how much I pull, I still felt exposed.


          “Relax,” Namjoon soothes, catching on to my irritation with the situation. “You don’t usually do this kind of work, but you can talk it out.”


          I crack my neck, trying to ease the nerves.


          “Besides, my first deal was to defend a murderer who was later found innocent.” Namjoon adds. “You have to be flexible.”


          His words were not helping.


          The security lets us in with Namjoon’s name drop, and instantly the vibrations from the speakers overwhelm my senses.


          The three of us split up, looking for the client. I head straight for the VIP area, feeling overly self-conscious of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter