21. When I Was Your Age

Misconduct Of Seventeen

‘Do you know, when I was your age, I actually listened to my elders.’

‘Very hard to believe, Seungcheol,’ Chan said as he changed coffee filters, ‘I’m very sure you didn’t have any friends when you were my age. Us, here at Seventeen, we’re your only friends.’

Seungcheol flinched at the accusation, ‘That-that’s not true. I had friends before joining Seventeen.’

Chan squinted in scrutiny, ‘Really? What are their names? Do you still hang out with them?’

‘I could call them up and set up a hangout if I wanted to. There was... Doo... Ming...’

Chan leaned in closer as Seungcheol started mumbling off random names, ‘Who?’

Seungcheol suddenly cuts off his roll call of different people, ‘Who cares who my friends are. All you need to know is that they are real, and I respected them.’

‘If you really respected them you would have remembered all their names,” Chan tells him, “I’m disappointed in you Seungcheol. I thought you would be a better role model. And before you even ask, I would remember all your names, even ten years into the future. That’s how much I respect you guys.’

Keeping in his anger, Seungcheol walked away from Chan. There was just no way to talk some sense into the kid. He always retaliated in some way.

 

‘Do you know, when I was your age, I straight out told people if I liked them or not.’

Seungkwan chuckled, ‘Is that why Jeonghan has no idea that you like him?’

Joshua becomes red with embarrassment, ‘That’s totally irrelevant. There is nothing between us. I’m trying to talk to you about you know who. Stop trying to twist my words.’

‘Who is you know who?’ Seungkwan asked, ‘I don’t know anybody with that name.’

‘You know who you know who is,’ Joshua insisted, ‘We all know you like him, and it’s time you told him out straight.’

‘I would know the you know who you are mentioning,’ Seungkwan countered, not blinking, ‘if only you told me the name of you know who.’

Joshua sighed in defeat, ‘I give up. If you want to be happy, Seungkwan, just tell him already. I’m only tell you for your benefit.’

 

‘Do you know, when I was your age, I actually cared about doing good at my job.’

‘Congratulations, Jihoon,’ Minghao said with disinterest, ‘you still care a great deal about your job.’

‘Yes, I do,’ Jihoon replied as he sat down in front of Minghao. ‘And at this point, you should too. I overheard someone say they liked people with determination.’

Minghao sided-eyed him, ‘When you say someone, who are you talking about?’

‘Someone who talks to me a lot, even though I barely listen half the time,’ Jihoon tells him with a smirk. He knew he had caught Minghao’s interest now.

‘Well, I’ll take that into consideration,’ Minghao said, reverting back to his disinterested self, ‘I was planning on being more determined in being someone’s best friend. And since he likes determination, he will appreciate how much time I put into our friendship.’

Sighing in defeat, Jihoon stands up and leaves the table. So much for trying to converse with people. It didn’t go the way he wanted it to go at all.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

image credit : wonnhao