14. Swimming In Tears

Misconduct Of Seventeen

‘I’m looking for a new series, something that I won’t be able to let go of,’ a girl with short hair asked of Wonwoo.

Wonwoo looked away from his book to figure out if this customer was going to be worth his time. When he confirmed the sparkle of a bookworm in front of him, he bookmarked the place in his book and really got into the conversation. ‘It really depends. What kind of character are you looking for?’

‘A female warrior who give no care of those around her, and loves herself unapologetically. No, no, she does care about those around her. I mean, she is human after all. Also, I really don't want the romance to overtake the whole story. I want a full storyline with action and anticipation. Also, if possible, I want it to be emotionally impacting. I want to learn something about the characters and also about myself. Something deep.’

Wonwoo thoroughly listened and thoroughly thought about all the requirements. After a moment of going through a library of books in his mind, Wonwoo smiled. He knew what to recommend her. It was perfect as it hit everything she was looking for.

‘I know exactly what you want,’ Wonwoo said, jumping from his seat, excited to go and hunt for the magical book. ‘You’ll love it. It’s a three book series by Marie Lu, and the first one is called The Young Elites.’

The girl follows Wonwoo into the aisles, smiling, ‘I love the title already!’

 

‘Um, uuuuh.’

Wonwoo was reading through a lull in the day, and was surprised he was being stopped when normally people didn't show up for at least two hours on a day like this. Slipping a bookmark into his book Wonwoo placed it to the side, ‘Hello, what can I help you with today?’

The girl in front of him had long straight hair and rimmed fashioned glasses with no real glass in them on. She shyly pushes her hair back from her face and quietly asked, ‘I was hoping for a book recommendation.’

Wonwoo smiled and nodded, ‘What did you have in mind?’

A blush was noticeably appearing on the girl’s cheeks, ‘A romance novel between two young boys. Something cute and fluffy. You know, the kind where you’re squealing on your bed because of how cute the characters are being. Nothing too scary, I just want to read a light hearted tale of love.’

Even if Wonwoo wanted to chuckle at the girl's requirements for this story, he already knew which story he was going to recommend. Most people will tell you to go for the obvious answer of Rainbow Rowell’s Carry On, but there were other very good stories out there.

‘Please, come with me,’ Wonwoo said, already telling himself where he would find the book in the aisles, ‘You are going to love these characters. And it’s such a easy read, I won’t even be surprised to see you here tomorrow.’

The girl finger combed some hair into her face and followed after Wonwoo, ‘Are you sure you shouldn’t just find me two different novels than?’

Wonwoo looked back with a smile on his lips, ‘You’re going to want some time after finishing off this novel. It lingers in your mind.’

‘What is the title?’ the girl asked as she shuffled along.

‘Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, it’s written by Becky Albertalli.’


 

‘Hello?’ A voice said to Wonwoo. He was actually in the aisle this time, resorting what Minghao had worked out that morning. The kid was still learning the Korean alphabet and Wonwoo really couldn’t blame him as much as he wanted to.

Wonwoo stands up, taking his time since he was on the floor for so long. When he was up right, next to the customer, he went on to greet him. ‘Welcome to Seventeen. How can I help you today?’

‘Uh, yes, so like, I have been reading Harry Potter over and over for the past few years. And I was wondering, if like, you had a recommendation for something as good as Harry Potter. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn't  anything though, Harry Potter is timeless and good for any age and time period.’

Wonwoo nodded along, agreeing with his customers words. ‘Does it matter if it was young adult or were you looking for something more mature?’

‘I don’t really know. I’m up for anything I guess. Just something good, something to fill up time when I’m bored. Oh, and yes, I am bald. I’ve been losing hair for a few years now. If you were, like, wondering.’

‘If you’re up for anything then I’m sure I know what you should be reading next. It’s like an adult version of Harry Potter. A very new way of looking at magic. And it’s just your head, I really didn't care.’

‘Cool, cool. It’s just that people keep staring and asking. I just start out the conversation by telling everyone about it now. And an adult version of Harry Potter? Is that even possible. I want to know everything right now. Let's go find them!’

‘Follow me,’ Wonwoo said with a grin on his face, ‘The three book series is written by Lev Grossman and the first one is titled The Magicians. It’s pretty amazing. I couldn't stop myself while I read through all three in just three days. You are going to love this book.’


 

A/N:

Characters

Girl with short hair - f(x)’s Amber

Straight long hair girl with fake glasses - APink’s Eunji

Bald head, magic loving guy - BTOB’s Peniel

 

I have read all those recommendations and I do recommend them all too