Closer.

Run With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon stares at her finger endearingly, staring long and hard; before smiling to herself sheepishly. It wasn’t because of the silly-little rabbit cartoon character drawn on the band-aid – though maybe the rabbit reminded Nayeon of Jeongyeon’s kind gesture towards her. A warmth that she couldn’t get enough; the way she gently held her finger while dressing her wounds, and not to mention the look in her eyes while doing so.

Why was she sitting in a corner? Simply because Jeongyeon strongly insisted not letting Nayeon into the kitchen again in fear of her injuring herself again. Of course, knowing there’s a really high chance that Nayeon would commit the same thing over again, she denied her entry. Momo reluctantly made her way down since her best friend threatened to pull her down if she doesn’t (typical good friends shenanigans).

Nayeon sat there wondering what would happen if she cut her fingers again.

 

“Damn it Momo, stop eating! At this rate, there wouldn’t be anything left!” Jeongyeon’s voice pierced the air, to which Nayeon immediately looked up.

“Jeong, there’s plenty left.” She looks at the plate of food – a pang of regret started stirring into her stomach. There wasn’t much left. “Oops.” She grinned and tried to give her signature “You-know-my-eyes-are-big-and-Its-not-my-fault” innocent look that Mina always 101% gave in to it but this time, the person was someone else.

And of course, it wasn’t working on Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon smiled and clapped sarcastically – already feeling the physical regret of asking Momo to help her out in the kitchen, which was ironic because Momo was the one who requested her help before. But all in all, she had a soft spot for the Japanese girl (not to mention the cute giggle Nayeon gave while watching the silly spectacle that was happening between them), she let her off easily.

Was she always this easy?

“Now we have to buy more ingredients.” She groaned.

“Write the stuff you need down, I’ll go get them.” She leaned against the wall as she started tucking her shoes in. “The supermarket is just down a few blocks away, right?” Nayeon gave a little grin which Jeongyeon could have sworn her mind temporarily stopped functioning for a second.

Momo shakes her head furiously upon looking at the couple; one was leaving and the other was letting her, she can’t express her disbelief as she witnessed her best friend simply about to lose this opportunity. She needs to step in and do something real quick. She trailed off to the kitchen and came back with a bag of rubbish.

“Jeong, could you throw this on the way out?” At this point, Nayeon was already outside. Momo opens the door and shove both Jeongyeon and the trash-bag out before closing the door. The situation was terribly awkward with an eerie silence.

“I’ll look after the house!” Momo’s muffled voice sounded from the other side of the door.

Jeongyeon could have sworn she heard a faint giggle, cursed under her breathe. Momo was about to catch those hands when she comes back.

Nayeon, confused. Jeongyeon, panicking.

“What the hell Momo! Excuse you but, this is my house?” She furiously banged on the door. “I don’t need you to take of my OWN house!”

“Alright alright, just wait a minute.” She replied.

The door suddenly unlocks once again, a pair of hands dropped a pair of sandals onto the floor before shutting it tight again.

“In case you’ve forgotten!” The muffled voice yelled from the inside.

Why was she being locked out of her own house? The situation screamed a terrible irony. Jeongyeon sighed with a heavy heart; there was no stopping Momo from her antics as unfond memories started replaying in her mind. Why were they friends, best friends at that again?

She reluctantly puts on the pair of sandals to which Nayeon gave a little giggle. The blonde chuckled weirdly in response. At least, the situation wasn’t as bad as before; Momo’s prank certainly lightened up the mood a little. A little smile appeared on the blonde’s face, maybe this wasn’t as bad as she thought.

Her, Nayeon and shopping. What could go wrong?

“I guess, let’s go then?” Nayeon nods with a pretty little bunny-smile again.

 

The two walked side by side, their fingers occasionally bumped against each other to which both responded differently. The older girl played it cool by staying her hand still while the other retracted her hand a little from the sudden contact, hoping her heart wouldn’t burst. T

The trip to the supermarket seemed like an eternity, it was supposedly to be a 15 minutes stroll but it felt like forever. A light stroll with heavy hearts in fact. It wasn’t as if neither of them tried to ease up the tension. Both tried to initiate a conversation respectively in their own ways but the direction it took would head nowhere, but only with small talk and ends with an awkward pause.

Nayeon’s mind was in a delirious state, deep in thought as she blindly walks behind the person in front of her. Thoughts like wanting to hold the blonde’s hand, locking arms and all sorts of cute things she wanted to do to her. Her head was filled with pretty images of them together. Confusing thoughts with reality, she extends her arm slowly.

Her hand grabs the plain-white-tee.

And the walk came to an abrupt halt.

Jeongyeon, the same confused, turns around to face a shy little bunny staring straight into her eyes and her pupils widened.

 

On the other hand, now fully back in reality by the sudden jerk of the abrupt halt, Nayeon realizes the full brunt of her action. She started questioning the bane of her existence and the stupidity of her own actions. But, but it was too late to regret anything.

If she wanted anything to progress further, this is the time to do it, she reckons. What’s the point of pulling out back now when she’s already in so deep? Deep in love, that is.

As if the little glimmer in Jeongyeon’s eyes was a sign, a prompt of what’s to go on next, the older girl took her chances. It was as if her eyes were telling Nayeon to go on, to fulfil the latter curiosity; it was pulling her in.

Her arms encircled Jeongyeon’s left arm, and hooked on to tightly by Nayeon’s soft embrace. Jeongyeon felt a tinge of electricity surge through her when their skin made contact. She could feel how warm and fragile the girl was.

The two was now connected. And yes, the skin contact meant something more than just mere skinship between friends. Sure, it wasn’t a hug nor a kiss. But this is how you start off right, something small, something to initiate it all? Something to trigger the start of everything.

It felt comfortable and felt right. Jeongyeon’s left arm and Nayeon hugging it. It felt satisfying like pieces of a puzzle fit together-right. Nayeon’s head leaned against the blonde’s arm, resting it. The blonde, speechless and couldn’t believe her eyes as she stares at Nayeon’s crown.

The top of her head was a new sight; especially when she’s taller and right in front of her. It was pretty. Jeongyeon’s arm was reliable and firm, and it provided a strong space to rest on.

 

 

“W-walk.” Nayeon stammered, shy and embarrassed.

A rush of adrenaline suddenly jolts through the blonde to want to adore the little bunny. Her right arm caressed her crown gently and softly, earning a small sound and grin from Nayeon.

 

 

Though it felt like the walk was an eternity before, in a blink of an eye they were right in front of the supermarket. As though as they could sense each other’s reluctance, they find themselves staring awkwardly at the entrance for a minute; as neither wanted to part with another. Jeongyeon felt herself ever-so-stubborn for the first time- she’s always thought she’s a giver in a give-and-take situation and it surprised how hard-headed she could be for the first time.

She doesn’t know i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter