Chapter 21

The Monster In My Head
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Namjoon's text had been bothering Jin Ae for the past hour, making her more and more restless with each passing second. She kept fiddling with her phone, hoping it would buzz soon. Not wanting to miss Namjoon's text or call, Jin Ae landed up on her couch, changing channels. It had been several months since she even switched the TV on and was glad that it was still working considering it was a second hand TV.

But as the moon shone brighter, Jin Ae's eyelids started feeling heavy. Just like a warm blanket, sleep enclosed her in it's warmth taking her into a land of no worries.

The cry of a bird right outside her window woke Jin Ae up from her slumber. Rubbing her eyes, Jin Ae got up from the cramped position she was sleeping in. The first thing she did after opening her eyes was check her phone for any missed text or call but there was nothing.

Sighing, she got up, mentally prepping herself up to pass the day somehow. After a quick shower, Jin Ae proceeded to cook some breakfast for herself until there was a knock on the door and within seconds she was greeted by her landlord or dear friend Haru.

"Oh, you are already up?" - Haru exclaimed, her face lighting up with surprise when she saw Jin Ae cooking something - "And are making breakfast!"

"Yeah" - Jin Ae sheepishly smiled.

"But isn't it your day off today? It's Saturday" - Haru spoke, grabbing a plate from the upper shelf and walking towards the stove to get a taste of the food been cooked.

"Huh? It's Saturday?" - Jin Ae questioned going blank for a few seconds.

"Yeah" - Haru non chalantly replied, stirring the content being cooked.

"Wow, I -- I seriously have no idea about anything going on" - Jin Ae mumbled to herself, these past days had been flying by too quickly to keep a track on. Maybe it was thanks to the new found friend who she could share her darkest secrets with, no longer having to carry it alone or maybe it was something else.

 

Maybe the universe fast forwarded time for something greater to happen.

Just like the scenes of a movie being fast forwarded to reach the , maybe her life too was being fast forwarded to a point which would hold a greater importance in her life. 

 

 

"Jin Ae?" - Haru called out, shaking her out of her thoughts.

"Hmmm" 

"It's done, go sit. I'll serve you. You are zoning out again" - Haru giggled as she scoped two bowls of rice and some soup to go along with it.

 

The day seemed to pass by quickly with Haru chattering about the events going on in her life. How she finally had found her other half and was planning to seriously consider moving in with him and stuff. Both the girls lost themselves in the chatter. After quite a long time they had finally found time to peacefully sit down and have a talk about the things going on in their lives. But whenever Haru tried to talk about Jin Ae's life, Jin Ae always douched the topic away because she wasn't in a mood of explaining things to Haru.

It was mid noon when Jin Ae found herself alone again in the confines of her house. The one place where she could be at peace but that didn't mean that she called it her home. A home was a place where you would live with the people you love but here she was living all alone. Her mother had disowned her, she had no family. There were days when she hoped to turn back time and go back to the day her father died and tell him that she never wanted to eat the ice cream he was going to get. She would do anything to change it, she would do anything to make her dad stay back at home at day. Ask for a hug rather than an ice cream. She was stuck in the hands of the clock, pondering over the thought that wouldn't things be different if she hadn't asked for the ice cream? Would she be happy at this exact moment if things were different? Wouldn't she be living a life of a normal 22 year old rather than a freak ?

A tear dropped on the floor and the word 'I miss you, Appa' ricocheted in the empty house.

Jin Ae took off from her house wanting to get away from the gloomy atmosphere she created in her house to a place she and her dad always visited.

 

 

Namjoon sat in his studio, staring at the blank screen of his computer. He was supposed to work on making new music for their next album but it seemed like inspiration had left him for the time being. Nothing seemed to be coming up in the brilliant brain of his, no mattered how hard he tried all he could write was a full stop. 

Out of the million things he could think about to write a song the only thing popping up in his head was 'Jin Ae'.  Everything he thought ended up being something related to Jin Ae.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh" - Namjoon yelled getting frustrated and gripping his hair. The more he tried to forget about the Jin Ae, the more he was reminded about her. The way she smiled, the way her eyes lit, the way she made a small 'o' when she used to sleep beside him in class, the way she dazzled under the sun walking next to him. Everything little thing reminded him about her making him lose his mind.

Namjoon got up from his chair, grabbed his bottle cap and mask and left the building, hopping onto a bicycle hoping that maybe the sound of the wind hassling the leaves, the flock of birds returning home to their hungry kids or the sky coloring itself red would help him take his mind off Jin Ae. 

Riding his cycle next to Han river, Namjoon watched the sun say goodbye slowly but strangely calming his heart. It was like the sun sang a lullaby before disappearing. It had been half an hour since Namjoon stood there watching the sun go down  with a serene comprehension and compassion, finally feeling sanguine. 

He got back onto his cycle, rid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter