Chapter Nine

Cheap Thrills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                           

I spent the rest of the day and majority of Sunday studying like I was preparing for finals. Even that didn't distract me from what had happened with Chanyeol. I mean nothing had really happened but it meant something. Or was it just because of hormones. I'd never really paid much attention to my uality and I guess I was okay with dating either of the two genders. But Chanyeol used to have a girlfriend. I'd always thought he was straight. Or maybe it didn't mean anything. Maybe he was just too tired that time that he had assumed I was a pillow. I sighed as I leaned back in my chair. I hadn't seen Chanyeol all day. Would it be weird if I went upstairs and said I wanted to sleep with him? Was it worth waking up with our arms around each other again? 

It kind of was but I just didn't have the confidence that I'd make it past his bedroom door before bolting. Before I could anything impulsive like that my phone beeped. It was a text from Soo Ji. And then I got the call from her. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, Baekhyun. Did you get the song?" 

"What song?" 

She tsked. "I told you about it the other day. It's called Dream. I sent you the audio, the lyrics and the sheet music. I was thinking maybe you could play the piano?"

"I haven't played the piano in ages." I answered. I hadn't. Not since my parents got divorced. 

"You'll remember as you play." She was silent for a minute. "I can ask someone from the club if you want." 

I wanted to say "Yeah, that'd be great" but then I thought that if I was playing the piano, all my attention would be to the keys and I wouldn't have to look at the audience. Less chances for a panic attack mid-performance right? 

"Can I let you know tomorrow? I'll listen to the song first. See if I can.." 

"Yeah, that's cool." Another pause. "Do you want to do it before school? I know you have your dance practice as well." 

"Fine. How early should I be there?" This school festival was turning out to be a bigger nuisance than I wanted it to be. 

"An hour is good. See you then." 

I hung up and then checked out the song. It was a total mushy romantic song but it was catchy. It would make the girls swoon, like D.O had said. I heard the song a couple of times before moving on to the sheet music. It looked fairly easy. I wanted to try to play it once before tomorrow's practice but I didn't have the piano anymore. It was my Dad's and Mom threw it out when he didn't take it with him. I had wanted to keep it. She didn't like that at all. She had bluntly told me to forget about the piano because I had to focus on my studies. I wondered if it would be okay to go to my old piano teacher's house. I was pretty sure he would let me practice. In the end I decided to use a mobile app. It was no where near the actual thing but desperate times. The music sounded a bit too awkward and I wondered if I could manage it. 

Since it was a Sunday, Mom came home early. She was preparing dinner and I was sitting at the table watching her cook. That was as far as our mother-son bonding went. I would ask her about work and she would ask me about school. I would tell her about something stupid a classmate had said and she would tell me about a funny customer. She almost always in a good mood on Sundays. So I thought it was the safest time to tell her about the school festival. Her reaction was as I had expected. 

"As long as it doesn't affect your studies," she shrugged. "I'm fine with whatever school activity you want to do." 

"I'll have to stay back after school for practice." She gave me a stern look and I hastily added. "Only for an hour. I'll get you the teacher's note tomorrow." 

She nodded and then asked me what I was going to do.

"I'm in the group dance. Contemporary." She gave me a smile. "And there's a duet." 

Her smile was gone. Instead she looked at me, with wide eyes. "You're singing again?" 

"I thought I should-" While the whole 'this is the last chance' thing sounded great in my head, it was kind of embarrassing saying it out loud. "I mean next year is not- like-" 

"Which song is it?" Her smile was back on her face. "Sing for me while I cook." 

I took out my phone and looked at the lyrics while I sung. I didn't sing the complete song but judging by the grin my Mom awarded me with, I assumed it was good. 

"Ah, it's been so long since my Baekkie sang for me." I groaned. I should have thought better than to sing that sappy, romantic song in front of her. She starts acting all lovesick. "It feels so nice. Being serenaded to. Sing some more for  Eomma." 

 


I was on my way to school, half an hour before I normally woke up. I was almost at the school gates when I saw Chanyeol. He was in the uniform and had his bag with him but instead of our apartment, it seemed like he was coming from the colony's main entrance. I raised my hand, waving to him and he jogged over when he saw me. 

"Good morning." He gave me a small smile but it looked forced. His hair looked like he had just got out of bed and his eyes were bloodshot. He looked like a mess. 

"You look like a mess." Did they sell brain to mouth filters because I really needed one. 

Chanyeol raked a hand through his hair, making it worse. 

"I- uh- I was up early." His hair was now sticking up at places and my hand involuntarily moved, attempting to smooth some of his locks down. His smile faded when he noticed our proximity. And for some reason, I stood frozen like that, my hand still in his hair. I recovered a second later and jumped away. 

"Sorry, I-"

"It's fine." He didn't look fine. He was avoiding my gaze and rubbing the back of his neck. "There's still time before school. How come you're here this early?" 

"I have to practice the duet for the school festival." 

"Can I come with you?" 

That question caught me off guard. I didn't expect him to be interested in this sort of stuff. I always thought he was the kind of guy who didn't bother with school activities and only cared about maintaining minimum attendance. A moment later, I muttered, "Yeah, sure." I doubt Soo Ji would mind. 

We made our way inside the school which was empty, save for a few guards. I headed to the staffroom first to get the keys for the music room and found that them hanging in the cupboard. Meaning Soo Ji was running late. Chanyeol was quiet the entire time, but the silence wasn't awkward. 

When we got to the room, I took out my phone and texted Soo Ji, asking where she was. Then I took out the sheet music from my bag and adjusted it so that they were in the correct order. 

"You're playing the piano as well?" Chanyeol asked. He had settled down on a chair next to a window. 

"I'm still thinking about it." I motioned at him to come sit next to me. "Turn the pages for me, will you?" 

He nodded and sat down next to me on the bench. It was a small one so our shoulders brushed against each other, every time either of us moved. I took a deep breath and started to play. 

Just like last night, the music sounded a little weird. I remembered all the notes but since I hadn't practiced in such a long time, the fluidity wasn't there. I hadn't played this bad since I'd first started to learn. I groaned. It didn't sound better no matter how fast I moved my fingers. When I finished the whole song, I turned to Chanyeol. 

"That was so bad." 

"You've been out of practice, that's all." He grabbed my hands and moved them away from the keys. And then he st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter