Chapter Fourteen

Cheap Thrills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                           

When I woke up, it was around five in the morning. I was in my room and the alarm clock next to my bed showed a glaring 5:07. My head was throbbing painfully and my throat felt as if a rat had gone and died in there. I shifted around and looked for my phone, finding it hidden underneath the covers. I d around for it and accidently hit it, sending it flying down to the floor. I prayed silently that the screen hadn't cracked as I pushed aside the covers to pick it up, when I noticed Chanyeol sprawled on the floor next to my bed. I picked up my phone and crouched down next to him. I poked him with one hand and unlocked my phone with the other. 

5:13, Saturday and the date glared at me. I was grateful that there was no school as I squinted at the notification bar which had 18 missed calls and 45 messages. I put my phone aside and poked Chanyeol again and began to wonder what he was doing there. 

"Chanyeol," I called out softly and he stirred. "What are you doing in my room?" 

He opened his eyes and looked at me blankly. Then he sat up quickly and pulled me into a hug. 

"Baekhyun," he whispered and I put an arm around him. "I am so, so sorry." 

"What are you apologising for?" I asked. "What- how did you-" 

"You don't remember what happened last night?" 

He had released me from the embrace and I was now sitting cross legged, leaning against my bed facing him as I tried to remember. I pushed back the hair that was falling on my face and muttered. "I went to a party with Yixing... I met this girl Minzy... And then Yixing and I danced... Then-" I gasped. "That drink! He drugged me." 

"Yixing did that?" Chanyeol growled. "I thought Chaerin- never mind. You're okay now." 

"But- how did I get back?" I asked. "And why are you here? Did you bring me back?" 

He nodded quietly and looked away revealing a purple bruise on his jaw. I let our another soft gasp and asked.  "What happened?" He didn't answer. "Chanyeol, look at me." 

After a few seconds, he did and I saw tears running his face. Okay, now I was scared. Chanyeol is crying? Why? What happened last night? I wracked my brain and I faintly remembered going to a room with Heechul. Did he-

"Chanyeol, I am scared out of my mind here." I said slowly and he buried his face in his hands. "Talk to me. What happened? Did Heechul- did he... -"

"No, no. Baek, no- I would never let that happen-" He was looking at me now and even though the tears had stopped, his eyes were red. "I'm sorry-" 

"It's not your fault," I said as I grabbed his hands. "I was stupid enough to trust- Yixing and- I barely knew him. I just, I don't know, I'm stupid." 

"You're not stupid," he said almost angrily. "I introduced you to-"

"Chanyeol, we can play the blame game all day." 

He shook his head violently and shut his eyes. "It is my fault! I should have known something like this would happen."

"How? Are you an astrologer or something?" 

"No, but I know Yixing and I know what sort of relationships he's had." 

"Chanyeol, you couldn't have known this would happen." I mean I was pretty much torn up about what had happened. Getting drugged like that freaked me out. I had no recollection of what had happened after I'd gone with Heechul. That freaked me out plenty. And the fact that Yixing had done that to me, well, it made me feel used and hence, super angry. If Chanyeol wasn't a crying mess right now, I would have marched over to Yixing's house and punch him in the face. Even Heechul if I could find him. If he thought I was going to take all this quietly, then he was very, very wrong. 

"I always leave you alone in such situations. That day at Costa, and then last night." 

"You're not my bodyguard." I whispered. 

"I should have told you not to hang out with Yixing." 

"Like I would have listened to you back then." 

"Baek-" 

"Chanyeol!" I cupped his face and rested my forehead against his. "I'm on the verge of a panic attack right now. If you don't stop crying, how will I panic?" 

"I just feel so guilty-"

"Don't." 

"You were the only part of my life that was normal. Baek, you were my safe space." He shut his eyes and a lone tear traced its way down his cheek. "I didn't have to pretend around you. You- you made sense. And I dragged you into all of this. I messed everything up."

I looked at his face for a moment and then asked. "Chanyeol, what's wrong?" 

"Are you seriously asking me that? I was scared for you, Baek. They could have done anything-"

"No, no." I said. "Not what happened yesterday. Something else is bothering you. Tell me." 

"It's nothing." 

"Don't lie to me." 

"It's nothing." He sniffled. "How are you feeling?" 

I shrugged. "Head hurts." 

"Do you want me to make some tea?" He offered. "I am okay at lemon tea." 

"Sounds good." He gave me feeble smile and made to get up. "Wait a second." 

"Hmm?" He sat back down. "What is it?" 

I could have offered him a tissue like a normal human being, but there was something about the tears glistening on his eyelashes that made me want to kiss them away. I leaned in closer and his eyes fluttered shut. I planted two soft kisses on his eyelids and another on the bruise. He took in a sharp breath and we stayed like that for a few minutes before he said in a rough voice. "Tea." 

I nodded and got up. He briskly walked out of the room after making sure I was comfortable with the pillows. I heard him talking to my Mom and the clanging of utensils. I wondered what he had told my Mom. How had she let him stay over? Did he tell her I went to a party and got drugged? Oh no, she was going to kill me. 

Chanyeol was back with my favourite iron man mug after ten minutes. It smelled nice and I warmed my hands around it as I waited for it to go down to a more drinkable temperature. Chanyeol sat down on the bed and his eyes scanned the numerous books that were on my shelf. I took a small sip, and soon I felt warmth spread all over my body. 

"Is it good?" Chanyeol asked. 

"Yeah, you should make tea for me more often." I smiled. "Why didn't you get any for yourself? I bet you're tired. I mean you slept on the floor! Why did you sleep on the floor, Chanyeol? Your own bedroom is literally a few stairs away." 

"Right, like I was going to leave you alone." He scoffed. I rolled my eyes and held out the cup for him. 

"Try it. You'll need to hydrate after all that crying you just did." 

He glared at me and said. "I don't drink tea." 

"Really? Who do you make tea for if you don't drink it? Your Mom?" 

He shook his head and looked away. "My Dad." 

"Oh." I said. "What-"

He jumped up from the bed and said, "I think you should sleep for a couple more hours."

"Where are you going?" 

"My room." He smiled. "I need all of my strength for when I go bash Yixing's head in."

"You will do no such thing, Chanyeol." I said. "He's my problem to deal with." He opened his mouth to argue but I held up a finger. "Nope. If I find out that you got involved in some sort of a fight, then be assured that I will never ever buy chocolates for you." 

"You got me chocolates one time!" 

"Yeah and I won't again." 

He ruffled my hair and gave me another one of his smiles before he left. 


I woke up two hours later. It was a little over eight and Mom was probably about to leave for work now. I got up, pulled on a knitted sweater and joined her in the dining room. 

"Good morning, Eomma!" I said as I sat down, my iron man mug in hand. 

"How are you feeling, Baekhyun?" She asked. I looked up and saw that she didn't seem angry. Only a little bit guilty and worried. 

"I'm okay." I said. "You?" 

She shook her head exasperatedly and then went into the kitchen. She came out a few minutes later holding a tray laden with what Grandma used to call the ideal, proper breakfast. I counted three bowls, and two glasses. She set down the tray in front of me and then took her seat. 

"Who's eating all that?" I asked.

"You, of course." She answered. "Chanyeol told me." Wha-at. "You're only studying and not eating properly. It's all my fault. I am always telling you to study." I looked up from the tray to her face, my mouth slightly open. She looked about ready to cry. "He said you hadn't slept well and skipped lunch at school." She sobbed. "And it all took a toll on your body and you fainted last night while explaining Napier's analogy to him." 

I simply nodded, more confused that Chanyeol knew something like Napier's analogy existed. My Mom, however, continued. "I've been so busy with work, I haven't been able to look after your diet. It's all my fault." 

"No, Mom. It's not- there's just been a lot going on with the school festival." I said. "I'll be back to normal once it's over." 

"Yes, yes." She nodded. "But you should still take it easy, Baekkie. Thank God, Chanyeol was here last night to take care of you. What would have happened if you were alone." 

I didn't reply immediately. Really, though. What would have happened last night, if not for Chanyeol? I swallowed thickly, too scared to even think about it. "Eat up, Baekkie." 

I nodded and started eating. It took me a total of twenty three minutes to finish breakfast. Mom kept on asking questions in between. 

"Does it taste good?"

"Do you like it?"

"What do you want for lunch?" 

So on and so forth. By the time she was done, I felt only more exhausted. And sleepy now that I had a full stomach. She left a little later than usual, making sure I knew where the jar of kimchi was. 

"Don't eat a lot, though or you'll get a stomach ache." 

"Yeah, yeah." I nodded and waited fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter