Chapter Eighteen

Cheap Thrills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N- Okay so I rewrote this chapter because I didn't like the first version. Baekhyun's conversation with his mother is pretty much the same so you can skip lines there. I've changed the parts when Baek is in Chanyeol's room and then added scenes after that. 

I woke up the next morning- er, afternoon at sometime around one. Even then I felt so exhausted, I would have fallen back asleep if I didn't have to pee. My throat felt dry, my entire body ached and it took me two whole minutes to walk to the bathroom. I was so out of it that when I went to brush my teeth, I accidentally pumped some hand lotion on the toothbrush. 

I was craving my bed, when I heard utensils clanging in the kitchen. 

Why was Mom home?

Oh, lunch. 

I dragged my feet to the table and sat down, as my Mom joined me a few minutes later. 

"How long have you been sleeping, Baekkie?" She asked, as she sat down, her eyes glued to her phone. 

"Woke up a few minutes ago," I mumbled and rested my head against the table. "Can I sleep some more? I'm soooo tired, Eomma."

"Ah, why don't you study for a couple of hours and then take a nap?" She suggested, briefly looking up. "Just something light. Math or something."

"Sure," I said. "I didn't know you could type that fast."

"I'm just a bit excited." She said, grinning and I sat up straight.

"Why?" I said. "Got yourself a boyfriend?"

"Aigoo, this kid!" She snapped as her phone beeped. "I have to go to Seoul. Can you help me book the tickets? Is online payment safe?" 

"Yeah, if you use the government portal but- when are we going to Seoul?" I asked. 

Her gasped softly, her finger hovering over the screen of her phone. "We? Oh, you want to go? I have to leave the day after tomorrow and I'll stay there for four days." 

"Day after tomorrow is Christmas eve!"

"I know, I know." She waved her hand. "You know Mrs. Choi?" I looked at her blankly. "Ah, her daughter studied at SNU and her son went to Cambridge? Anyway, she came by our café yesterday along with her son and he really loved it. Said his company would like to work with us and open an outlet in Seoul!" 

"Mom, that's huge! But he's authentic, right?" 

"Of course. In Ha googled his company." In Ha was one of her employees. "He said he'll take our case to the company and so I have to go to Seoul for signing papers and legal things like that."

"So you were planning on leaving me here?"

"I hadn't decided. You can choose."

"What do you mean? We have to be together on Christmas." I wasn't a religious person at all, to be honest. But Christmas was- well, it was Christmas, and I need food.

"Yes, but you have exams in February." 

"They start late this year."

"And winter break is the best time for you to study." Her phone beeped again. "So you can revise the syllabus at least three times. Seoul will distract you. Also, if you're thinking about Christmas dinner, honey, we'll be staying at a hotel so I won't be able to cook for you, or be around that much. We have a lot to do. I'll be running around all four days, and you'll be stuck in the hotel."

I almost told her that I'd study there but then the Jongdae voice saved me.

Don't say a word, Baekhyun. He hissed. Your Mom is willingly leaving you alone at home. Imagine all the things you'd be able to do.

But what about Seoul? D.O argued.

Weren't we going with Chanyeol? 

He was joking.

Whatever. If we stay here, we can play video games with Chanyeol. Order tasty food. Or go out somewhere. Wasn't Chanyeol talking about a bowling alley? 

The D.O voice hissed back but I ignored it. My mind was made. 

I put on my super sad face.

"No Christmas dinner, huh? Seoul's really noisy too. I guess I'll stay home and study."

Mom gave me a wide smile and said, "Good. You should know that I'm letting you stay alone because I see you as a responsible person, now. Meaning, we'll have to set some rules. You don't leave the house unless it's absolutely necessary, and if you do lock the door properly. In Ha will take care of your meals. She'll-"

"Mom, can you tell me later?" I said, getting up. "I told- er, Chanyeol, I'll help him with his um, Korean assignment."

"You'll help him with Korean?" My Mom raised her eyebrows. "Do you-"

"I mean, we were going to do it together."

"Fine. Are you going upstairs or is he coming down?"

"I'm going."

"Be back in two hours." She glared at me and then turned back to her phone. "No wait, sit down."

"I know. Rules-"

"Sit down, Baekhyun." She was using her stern voice and I knew better than to disobey her. "I have to ask you something."

"What?"

"Actually, I have a lot of questions." She leaned back in her chair. "And you will answer all of them truthfully. If I'm not satisfied with an answer, believe me I'll get you a babysitter for when I go."

I nodded slowly but I was full-out panicking inside. Did she find out I had vodka yesterday? Did she find out I skipped school twice? And I rode a motorbike? . Did she find out about the drugs.

"Are you gay?"

What.

"What?"

Mom sighed. "It's a simple yes or no question, Baekhyun. Are you gay? Do you like boys?"

"I-uh." I could hear the D.O and Jongdae voice whimpering in fear. Everything I had an excuse for. But this. This wasn't something I wanted to lie to her about. "I don't know, Mom. I like boys and girls just fine."

She nodded. "So you're biual. Isn't that the term?"

"I don't like labels."

"Okay. I understand." She nodded again. "Are you dating anyone right now? Is Yixing your boyfriend?"

What.

"Uh- he was. We broke up. He er-" Ugh. Someone kill me. "He wasn't serious about our relationship." 

"See, Baekhyun, you're still young and relationships are messy, okay?" She pushed her hair away from her face and exhaled sharply. Wow. I did pick up habits from her. "You have your college entrance exams to worry about now. You'll be in your final year soon. The only thing you have to focus on right now is what career you want to pursue. I will support you with all of your choices as long as you get into a college that's SNU level and above. Once you're in a good college, half your work is done. You can date whoever you want but right now, don't get involved in this stuff."

"Not all-"

"What I mean to say is." She took a deep breath. "Look, I don't want to be the bad guy here but don't get involved with Chanyeol. I know you're really good friends and that you care for him, but kids like that only drag others around them down-"

"Mom! I get why you don't want me to get into a relationship, but please don't talk about Chanyeol like that." I was staring at my hands, afraid to look at her face. I had never- I repeat, never in my life, used that tone with her. 

"Didn't he get two of his friends expelled-"

"No. That wasn't him." Exactly how long was this rumour going to circulate? "Please, don't believe everything your gossipping customers tell you."

"Baek-"

"I'm sorry, I have to take a shower." I got up and rushed to my bedroom. Great. Now I was arguing with my Mom because of Chanyeol. Sure, people thought he was a thug but it's not like he could get me pregnant or anything.

A few minutes ago, I was ready to go upstairs and tell Chanyeol that I was home alone for four days. For four days, we could do anything without worrying about my Mom.

But now, I was too annoyed to leave my room. I mean when your parents are as strict as my Mom, you somehow develop a habit of lying and not feeling guilty about it, because you'll be told off if you forgot one of your books in the living room and you'll be told off if you got caught drinking. What is the difference, right? The last few weeks was the most I've had to lie to my Mom. I just wasn't one of those kids who told everything to their parents. 

I wasn't planning on coming out to my Mom.

I hadn't planned on telling her I had dated Yixing.

I so wasn't planning on telling her about Chanyeol, either. 

My personal relationships were, well, personal. Fine, she's my mother and is looking out for me, but that's just not something I'm comfortable with. Mostly because she never took it the way I wanted her to. I couldn't even make jokes in front of her freely because she would always take them literally. 

Even after I took a shower and changed my clothes, I lay in bed for a long time, listening to songs. Sure, this thing between Chanyeol and me wasn't going to turn into some sort of Romeo Juliet scene, because I honestly didn't care if my Mom didn't want me getting involved with him. I've kept a lot of things secret from my Mom. This would just be another one on that list. 

You're worrying too much. Now the Jongdae voice returns. Chanyeol and you aren't even together yet.

He kissed him yesterday. D.O sprang up. 

That was too shut him up because he was being too annoying.

I sat up in bed and picked up my phone from the table. 

All that went through my head was the word kiss.

Kiss.

I had told Chanyeol last night that he could kiss me if he wanted to- ah! I really was drunk. He probably thinks I'm crazy by now.

I scrolled through the messages, hoping for one from Chanyeol. 

There weren't any. Just pictures after pictures from yesterday. I stumbled out of bed, and grabbing the keys, dashed out. His Mom opened the door when I rang the bell.

"Oh, hello, Baekhyun. Come in."

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Park." I bowed and took off my slippers. "Is Chanyeol home?"

"Yes. He's in his bedroom." She smiled. "Go on in."

I gulped. "Room?" She pointed to the door to the far left. It was closed. "Can you- tell him I'm here?"

She gave me a funny look, walked over to the door and knocked. "Honey, Baekhyun's here to see you."

I heard a loud thump, hurried footsteps and the door swung open. Chanyeol grinned toothily when he saw me. "Come on inside." 

"Baekhyun, do you want to eat some cookies?" Mrs. Park asked. "I just baked some."

"No, Mom." Chanyeol said and took a step towards me. He grabbed me by the wrist and lead me inside. "We don't need anything."

His room was way cleaner than mine. The books were stacked so neatly that my Mom would cry if she saw them. There were no clothes dumped on chairs, and the window was open to let in sunlight and the cold, cold air. His bed wasn't made, though. His laptop and the teddy bear from yesterday were occupying it.

"Didn't you give it to your Mom?" I asked. "Oh and when did you get it home? You didn't have it when we were coming back from the noraebang."

"Oh, that. I- er, asked your junior, Jungkook to drop it off here." Chanyeol answered as he sat down on the bed. "My Mom didn't have anywhere to keep it so she kept it in my room."

"Hey, don't bully Jungkook." I shook my head. "And can you close the window? It's so cold."

"Well, then why don't you put on a sweater?" He rolled his eyes but got up anyway. I was sprawled under the covers in my room so I didn't need a sweater and I had forgotten to put on one in my rush to get here. Chanyeol drew the curtains as well. Then he walked over to his cupboard and took out a black sweatshirt. "Here." He said and gave it to me. 

I pulled it on and muttered a "Thanks". The sweatshirt was obviously huge on me but it was still warm and most importantly, it smelled of Chanyeol. "Were you playing something on your computer?"

Chanyeol shook his head and pulled me to his bed. "Someone uploaded the video of our performance on facebook. I was going to watch it when you came in."

"Did someone upload the dance performance?" I said and settled down on his lap, his hands automatically looping around my waist. "I wanted to see. Did you see me perform yesterday?"

"I saw half of it." He said and then grabbed his laptop, clicking on the play button. I saw that the video was originally uploaded by a kid named Kim Taehyung and the caption read Because JJK liked it. The video had turned up on Chanyeol's newsfeed, though because Sooji  had shared it with two heart emojis. "You were really y."

"Thanks." I smiled. "Who's JJK?"

"Dunno." He said. "Let's watch."

The video was a bit low quality since it was zoomed in and I could barely hear the music over the audience. A lot of times the view was blocked by someone's head and mid-way through the performance, I heard a girl shout.

"Chanyeol o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter