Chapter Five

Cheap Thrills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn't see Chanyeol on the way to school the next morning. In fact, I didn't see him until lunch. He was sitting with a bunch of people I didn't recognise, so I just waved hello when our eyes met. Nothing much happened at school other than D.O apologizing over and over. 

"I swear I won't ever invite you to hang out with us." He whined as we made our way to our respective club rooms after classes were over. He was in the culinary club. We both used to be in the singing club together but in eighth grade, they made all of us join a different club for 'new experiences'. 

"Thanks, D.O," I said, giving him a sarcastic smile. "It means a lot to me."

"Baekhyun-aaah!"

I patted his back, hoping he'd stop crying. "It's okay. Not the first time it happened." 

"Yeah. But people are gossipping about you and I'm pretty sure it's because of that."

"Ah. What are they saying?"

"I'm not sure. I just heard some people say 'Poor Baek'." 

"That could mean a lot of things. Like 'poor Baek. He has to listen to Kyungsoo all day'." 

Warning. Never call D.O by his full name. It's like a shortcut method of summoning Satansoo.

"Ya, Byun Baek. I'm trying to look out for you here." 

"I'm fine without your services." Thankfully, we'd reached the dance room by then. "See you tomorrow." 

"Later." I heard D.O say as I entered the room.

We didn't do a lot that day. The teacher in charge, Mrs. Ahn mostly discussed her plans for the school festival. We decided on a couple of songs and around 15 minutes before the period was to be over she told us to just talk amongst ourselves and come forward with new ideas. All everyone did was gossip. Kim Jong In approached me and started a conversation. Why is he trying so hard?

"Hi, Baek."

"Hey." I smiled. Please don't bring up my Mom. Please.

"Are things okay with your Mom now?" Ugh.

"I-uh. Kind of?" 

Jong In chuckled. Probably at my face. Great.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something." 

"Shoot."

"Are you friends with Park Chanyeol?" Totally normal question. But the way he said it, with that uneasy expression as if he was asking me if I was a Trump supporter, made me feel super awkward. 

"Um-what?" 

"I saw his instagram post last night. Your Mom lets you hang out with him?"

"She doesn't exactly know-"

"Baek, he's trouble. Don't go mixing with his sort."

"What are you talking about?" I mean I knew Chanyeol was the kind of guy who skips school, smokes and dumps his girlfriend when he is bored, but he had been more or less nice to me.

"A couple of years back, I was in the same class as him. There were two more students in our class, Kris and Yixing." I feigned interest and nodded as Jong In continued. "The two were really close to Chanyeol, but-"

"I've never seen them at school, though." 

"That's the thing. Apparently, they were caught smoking weed in the school bathroom, and Chanyeol blamed it on Kris and Yixing. He lied and said they forced him." Would Chanyeol really do something like that? "Chanyeol's father made a huge deal about it. In the end, Yixing transferred to another school and Kris actually moved out of the country." 

The school bell rung just as Jong In finished his little story. Chanyeol's father made a huge deal? Was he even around two years ago? I scoffed really loud and Jong In looked kind of taken aback at my reaction. I picked up my bag and walked out of the room. Jong In was quick to follow me, putting his hand on my shoulder to stop me. 

"Baek, where-"

I shrugged his hand off my shoulder and started. "Does it make you feel better about yourself? Spreading rumours about Chanyeol?" 

"Rumours, Baek-"

"You don't know about him, Jong In. And don't call me Baek."

"I'm just worried about you." He grabbed my arm and ouch, that hurts. "Trust me, you do not want to-"

"I think you're done here buddy." Chanyeol moved in between Jong In and me, tearing his hand away from me. Huh. This guy is so much taller than me I couldn't even see Jong In's reaction, and when I peeked from behind Chanyeol, it was only to see Jong In's retreating figure. 

"Um- hi, Chanyeol." He was literally so busy glaring at Jong In, his knuckles had gone white. "Wah! Someone's angry." He turned to look at me and God, did he look mad. "Wow, you're worse than D.O. Don't tell him I said that."

Chanyeol relaxed at that and shook his head, a small smile tugging at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter