Chapter Ten

Cheap Thrills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                                                                                      

As soon as I got home, I took off my clothes, dumped them in the laundry basket and went in to take a shower. Even though I hadn't drunk anything, I was pretty sure the smell of cigarettes and booze was still lingering on me.

I was done in five minutes and quickly put on my most comfortable pajamas. I was wondering if I should drink some coffee or warm up something from the fridge when the door bell rang. My first thought was Yixing but he had already texted me back saying how bad he felt that I had to go home alone and that he couldn't even buy a drink for me. Besides, we had made plans to meet up on Wednesday.

My confusion soon gave way to anger when I saw it was Chanyeol who was waiting outside the door. When he saw me, he pulled me into a hug and I could feel his breath tickling my neck when he spoke.

"Are you okay?" I pulled away from him and took a step back, crossing my arms against my chest. "I'm so sorry I didn't pick up. I was- uh- I got caught up in some stuff."

"It's okay." I hadn't meant to, but my words came out all cold and steely.

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows but didn't comment on that. Instead he started rambling. "Oh god, I am so, so sorry. I should have gone with you. Ugh, Baekhyun, you're sure you're okay? Did the guy hurt you? Do recognise him? I swear to God if I-"

"Chanyeol, shut up." If you had asked me a week ago that I would have the guts to tell Park Chanyeol to shut up, I would've laughed. "It's late and I'm tired. I don't want to deal with your interrogation right now."

"Baekhyun, what's wrong?" He went to grab my hand but I took another step back. He stopped and made no further movements.

"You should go." I said.

"Why are you mad at me?" Good question. Why are you mad at him, Baekhyun? "Did Yixing say anything? About me?"

"This has nothing to do with him." I gave him the coldest look I possibly could. "Go home, Chanyeol. I'm done talking to you." He didn't move but was giving me a look that seemed panicked and hurt. "Go. I'm not slamming the door in your face."

"Baekhyun." His hands went towards mine again but I threw him an angry and exasperated look. His hands fell limply to his side and he nodded before he walked away.


"The zombie look doesn't suit you." D.O said as I slid out of my seat. I hadn't been able to sleep well last night and then I had almost forgotten about my practise session with Soo Ji, so I had had to hurry and my hair was all over the place and eyes bloodshot by the end of the fourth period.

"Ha ha. So funny." I said dryly as I rubbed my eyes.

"Why was Soo Ji shouting at you before the assembly?"

I grimaced as I remembered. "She appointed Chanyeol as the pianist for our duet."

"Eh?"

"And he didn't show up for practice because neither of us told him. Then she pestered me to call him."

"And?"

"And I didn't call him because by the time he would have gotten here, it would have been time for the assembly." I shrugged.

"So she was screaming at you?" D.O shook his head. "Crazy woman."

Well, that was only half the truth. I wasted half an hour arguing with her saying that there was no way in hell I was going to ring up Chanyeol. That was why she was shouting at me.

And apparently, she wasn't going to let it go anytime soon. When she saw me near the cafeteria, she began shouting again.

"Byun Baekhyun, I am warning you." She started. "If you ruin another practice- ya! Park Chanyeol! Come over here."

I groaned. I so didn't want to deal with both of them at the same time. I turned and saw Chanyeol approaching us, hands in his pockets.

"Would you mind coming to practice before school?" She had her stern look on her face, as if challenging him to argue with her.

"Yes, you guys start at seven." He muttered. "I don't even get up at seven."

Soo Ji frowned and added. "It is a pain getting up so early. Baekhyun, do you mind practicing after school? After your dance thingy?"

I made a face but then she gave me the look she was giving Chanyeol a second ago, so I had to agree with her. "Fine. But not today."

She looked like she was going to say something else but Chanyeol cut her off. "Yeah, I have plans today."

I scoffed. Plans to make out with your girlfriend.

"Fine, I guess we'll start from tomorrow." She turned to Chanyeol. "Take the sheet music from me in the last period."

With that she was off, chatting up the group of seniors she always hung out with at school and I was left alone with Chanyeol. D.O had disappeared the moment he had spotted Soo Ji barrelling towards me.

"Wanna play video games after school?" Chanyeol said once she was gone.

"Don't you have plans?" I mumbled. Why was I acting so weird?

"Um yeah I was planning on taking a nap when I got home." He grinned and I almost smiled back.

I caught myself and said. "Sorry, I don't want to."

I didn't wait to listen to Chanyeol's reply.

 

Dance practice was exhausting. As much as I enjoyed it, my body didn't. We were learning new moves everyday. I had no problem imitating Jung Hoseok who was choreographing the whole sequence. I didn't even forget what step I had to do next. It's just.. I had zero stamina. My legs and arms grew so tired after only a little dancing that I was messing up a lot. Half an hour later, when we were taking a short break, Jong In walked up to me.

"You okay?" He looked really concerned and it was justified

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter