Another Day

Third Way of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a relief to Yongsun that she managed to hail a cab as soon as she walked out of the carpark, all she could think of was to quickly get out of Byulyi’s sight.

“Where to Miss?” Yongsun was blank, she hasn’t thought this far. She saw a bus passing by, there was an advertisement on the bus. DISNEY’S MAGIC OF ANIMATION.

“That bus. The advertisement. Follow it.” Yongsun just said whatever that comes to her mind, unable to form a sentence properly.

“You meant, you want to go to that museum that’s having an exhibition of that advertisement?” The driver asked with one of his brows up, wondering if Yongsun is someone who have some disability with speaking.

“Yes, please.”

Yongsun kept her head straight, she doesn’t dare to turn around even whilst in the moving car, as though still feeling Byulyi’s eyes lingering at the of her head. Only when the car drove on to the expressway, she then slightly turned her head towards out of the window. By this point, the roof of the hotel was already long buried in sight by other buildings.

 

***

 

It was Sunday, Sunday meant family day. Kids were running about with their parents chasing after them, fearing they would fall on the ground and gain some nasty scars on their face. Another handful of them sitting on the floor crying, demanding for what they wanted otherwise they would remain on the floor crying while their parents either try to console them or scold them. Yongsun didn’t mind the noise, the exhibition in front of her were enough distraction to mute the noises behind her.

As she continued walking around, she stopped in front of the Aladdin’s exhibition. The first and the last movie she watched with Byulyi. She thought back how she treated Byulyi back then, nothing but guilt filled her heart. Would things turned out differently if she had chosen not to break up? It had been like that for Yongsun recently, she kept wondering the different possibilities that could happened if she hasn’t done what she did. What for, she doesn’t know. Just as she was deep in her thoughts, she heard someone calling out to her.

“Yongsun unnie!”

Yongsun turned to see Jiyeon looking at her fondly, her waist was strapped with a small speaker and a headset was hanging around her neck.

“What’s with the equipment?” Yongsun tilted her head to gesture towards the headset.

“I’m the guide for this exhibition! Would you like my service?” Jiyeon chirped.

“Does it require any fees? Why do you even need a guide for this?” Yongsun was skeptical.

“Free of charge! And you’ll be surprised how some adults are actually ignorant to these classic Disney movies! They usually can’t answer to their children’s questions, thus the reason why we’re here.” Jiyeon grinned.

 

***

 

“When I was young, I really liked Mulan.” Yongsun said as they stopped in front of the exhibition of Mulan. Jiyeon gave her a curious look, waiting for Yongsun to continue talking.

“It may seem unrealistic as we look back at the film again now that we’re older, but it does have quite a bit of life lessons in it.” Yongsun continued walking with Jiyeon trotting after her. “Standing up for what you believe in, that everything happens in its own time. Don’t be afraid to be yourself, and you’re stronger than you think.”

“Well, unlike you unnie I didn’t realise that much when I watched it.”

“Well yeah but sometimes, we still have to fall back to reality. Things will happen in its own time, just that it may not always be the one you hope. One that was really true for me was being myself, at least that side of me allowed me to discover someone that loved me for that.”

Jiyeon nodded, “Hey unnie I’m supposed to be the one explaining things to you!”

“Doesn’t matter, I’m pretty sure I know as much as you do. I’m a Disney fan! But, there’s something I’m curious about.” Yongsun asked as they stopped in front of Frozen.

“Yes?”

“Is Elsa gay?”

“Unnie!”

 

***

 

“Thank you.” Yongsun said as Jiyeon came back with her bag from the staff locker. They are now in a café, Jiyeon was already preparing to get off work when she saw Yongsun. Thus she invited Yongsun to have coffee with her.

“It should have been my treat instead, you’ve been working hard the whole day.” Yongsun chided.

“I’m not as childish as Yongjun!” Jiyeon laughed out loud.

“Yongjun loves to rip me off whenever he could.”

“He does mention about you time to time, he’s aware of the sacrifices you did for him in order to study.”

“It’s nothing much, as long as he gets to study what he likes and do something good out of it, I’m fine with whatever.”

Jiyeon kept a fond smile. As Yongsun looked at her side profile, even though she was smiling she didn’t have any eye wrinkles. Regardless how much of a happy life you’re currently living, the biggest worry should be when nothing has begun yet. 

“You should come over our house and hang out more often.” Yongsun nagged, she started to feel like her own mother.

Jiyeon’s face turned red as soon as Yongsun’s words left , she brushed her hand against the back of her head and avoided her gaze. “Well… I tried asking Yonghye out a couple of times, but she told me she was too busy.”

Yongsun forgot her own worries instantly, instead she was getting excited for Yonghye. Jiyeon wasn’t beating around the bush about her intentions that she was chasing after Yonghye. Despite her young age, Yongsun thought that Jiyeon was actually quite a down to earth child.

“It’s okay, it’s normal to be embarrassed about it.”

The buzzer on the table vibrated. Jiyeon sprung up and hurried herself towards the collection counter. She came back with two hot coffee and placed them on the table.

“Sorry, they’re out of milk so they only have Americano right now. Hope you’re okay with it.”

“That’s fine too.” Yongsun smiled. The next moment, she was once again reminded of Byulyi in Starbucks sitting right opposite of her, smiling at her. Americano might be too bitter for you. She thought of Byulyi’s adoring look on herself, she couldn’t help but to daze out. In an attempt to cover up the sadness, she lowered her head and drank a sip of the coffee.

Yongsun didn’t knew the coffee was scalding hot, it burnt the tip of her tongue as soon as she sipped a small sip. Shocked by the hotness, her hand shook vigorously while removing the cup and the contents of the coffee spilt out onto herself. She was wearing a beige top, it became dark brown soon after.

Yongsun quickly got up and took the napkins on the table, trying to wipe the stains off. Jiyeon got up as quickly as she could and went to the counter to grab more napkins. As she hurriedly came back, she helped Yongsun while constantly apologizing. “I’m sooo sorry! I should have warned you that it’s very hot.”

Yongsun took over the napkins in Jiyeon’s hand and laughed it off. “Don’t worry about it, I’m just being careless myself.”

The Americano soaked at every thread of her top, regardless how many times Yongsun tried to wipe it off, there would always be the light beige mark imprinted on it. Perhaps it was a reminder to herself, she should stop thinking about her. Her private yearnings, it should remain deep within her heart, not out openly in her mind. She sighed as she gave up on cleaning her top.

 

***

 

The last time Yongsun talked with Yonghye was also the same night they had argued over the coat. They remained silent throughout even though they were on the same table having dinner together. Whilst Yonghye was washing the dishes, Yongsun leaned against the wall behind her contemplating for a moment. “How was the face interview?” She asked softly.

Yonghye didn’t respond to Yongsun for a couple of seconds and continued washing the dishes. Yongsun sighed and was about to turn and leave when she heard Yonghye’s reply.

“I came in 12th on the results. I was too nervous.”

Yongsun’s eyes gleamed, “Weren’t they only recruiting 10 people? Is there still hope?” She continued asking.

“Hyunsik oppa said he’ll go greet them again, there shouldn’t be a problem.”

Yongsun nodded as though Yonghye could see her. “If there’s a need to prepare gifts, remember to tell me. We can’t keep having him giving it from his own pocket.”

Yonghye simply hummed as she continued the dishes.

“Oh yeah, Jiyeon… I met her by accident today.” Yongsun nonchalantly remarked as she went towards the side of Yonghye to pour herself a glass of water.

Yonghye continued lowering her head washing the dishes, as though she didn’t hear anything. Yongsun sipped a mouth of water and discreetly look at Yonghye’s expression.

She pursed her lips and looked around the kitchen. “Honestly, maybe you can consider? Jiyeon is pretty, she has a pretty interesting job too. Her family background seems good too, they have their own small family business. They seemed warm hearted and reliable.”

Yonghye continued to remain silent. She carefully dried the plates she just washed and carefully placed them back into the kitchen cabinet.   

“Yonghye, you’re no longer that young. Mom keeps asking me about your well-being. She kept complaining how you’re always not properly in a relationship. If you’re always lingering about like that you’ll miss out on your chance, and you wouldn’t even know.” Yongsun sincerely pleaded.

Yonghye pulled out her gloves and turned to look at Yongsun, “Jiyeon is not my type.” She hung the gloves by the basin and left the kitchen, walking towards her own room.

Hearing her words, Yongsun was a little annoyed. She quickly followed behind Yonghye, chasing after her. “What is your type then, tell me.”

Yonghye stopped right after she stepped into her room, still backfacing Yongsun. “You know my type, do I still have to make it clear to you?” Her left hand was already on the door, closing the door once she was done with her words.

Yongsun was fast to react, she quickly used her left feet to stop the door. “Yonghye, I’m discussing with you about this seriously. Don’t test my patience.” Yongsun could feel her heart boiling with anger.

Yonghye turned around, her expression was arrogant. “I am replying to you seriously. Jiyeon is a kid, she works in a place that is full of kids. Disney? Are you kidding me? How do you expect me to be in a relationship with someone who works in that kind of environment?” Despite her face being expressionless, Yonghye’s eyes were angry. The angry eyes tell Yongsun that Yonghye’s brain is in a different mode, she’s attacking Jiyeon’s work environment for no reason just to spite Yongsun, to find reasons to tell Yongsun that Jiyeon isn’t as mature just because of her job scope.

“Then who do you want to be in a relationship with? Someone with an accomplished career? One who is mature and stable with finance? One with house and car? Even if there is one, how many of them are willing to even look at you?”

“Even if there is only one, I am willing to wait.”

Yongsun knew who Yonghye was referring to. The anger in her heart couldn’t find a way out, thus her tone involuntarily became harsh. “Yeah? You’re not the only one queueing for that kind of partner, take a number and look at how far behind are you. Is there even a number for you?” Her anger is sadness in a fight-mode.

“I’ll get there someday, regardless the number. Whenever someone gives up, I’ll move a number ahead. As long as I’m willing to wait, I’ll stand a chance.” Yonghye was confident in her reply, and Yongsun was not impressed when she was ridiculed in turn. “And I wonder the owner of the coat in your closet, how many are queuing for that owner? Are you already in the queue? Do you even have a number?”

Yongsun was speechless for a moment. Just as she was getting ready to defend herself she was faced with a closed door, followed by a locked sound.

She slumped onto the sofa, feeling frustrated. Yeah, that’s right. Yongsun had long lost her right to accuse Yonghye of her obsession. In comparison, what she herself did was perhaps a hundred times more stupid, a hundred more times despicable. Broken-hearted was not a destination, it was a difficult road that often appears at the feet, one that must be walked in order to get to a better future. She believed this is the future that she should be walking towards to. As the days become months and then to years, the good memories between her and Byulyi will keep the both of them walking with ease on their own path, and then the both of them will be ready to love again with their respective partners.

This is what Yongsun believes in right now and wants to continue to believe in the future.

 

 

Monday came about again the following day, the skies were gray and gloomy, just like Yongsun’s heart. The cold wind hit harshly against her semi-frozen face as she gripped the opening of her jacket tightly together. She crossed her arms quickly, clenching her fists together as she hid them under her arms. Yongsun sighed, the temperature was getting lower and lower. It was dampening her morning spirits, as though it was any better in the first place.

Despite having her own transport, Yongsun chose to walk to office since it was near and she didn’t want to trouble Hyunkyu. As she walked closer towards the office, she noticed barricades and caution signs were set up where Starbucks orginally was. Hoarding panels were set up around the area, Starbucks was no longer in sight. The air was filled with a strong smell of dust, drilling, and hammering sounds of all sorts was adding onto the noise pollution. Yongsun peered closer towards the signboard to look at it. “New lounge coming to you soon.”  

This was good news to Yongsun, for she no longer needed to face the place that once made her yearn and looked forward to.

As she stepped into her studio, before she could even settle down CEO Kim’s head popped through her studio door. Only his head. “Hi.”

“Hi”, Yongsun looked at him while holding her bag mid-halfway before she could threw it against her couch. “Are you gonna come in or…?” She gestured between CEO Kim and her couch.

“No it’s okay, you can throw your bag on it.” CEO Kim gave a straight smile, looked left and right before he slid himself in towards the left against the wall.

“Okay…. What’s up? You’re acting weird.” Yongsun raised her left brow, before settling down on her couch comfortably. She noticed her usual coffee and breakfast wasn’t on the table. She smacked her forehead and quickly rummage through her bag searching for her phone, attempting to contact the younger. “If there’s something you want to say make it quick, otherwise I need to search for my manager. For god’s sake, since when do I need to give wake up calls to my own manager.” Yongsun grumbled to herself as she finally found her phone, at the same thing thinking if Wheein was still in a hungover state.

“About that…” CEO Kim smacked his lips together several times and continue to give a straight smile.

Yongsun settled her phone on her lap before looking up. Noticing CEO Kim avoiding her, she figured out something was wrong with Wheein. “From how you’re still so casually standing there, I doubt Wheein is in any danger, or like she isn’t in the hospital is she?”

“Mm-hm.” CEO Kim nodded, not changing his smile. Really, it was starting to get on Yongsun’s nerves.  

“And she’s not here.” Her gaze was impassive as she waited for his response.

“Mm-hm.” The nodding continued.

“She resigned?” Yongsun casually asked, before standing up heading towards her desk of piled up scripts. The scripts were way overdue for her to look through. “Fine with me.” Yongsun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter