I'll lose you

Third Way of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun couldn’t remember when and how she got home, all she remembered was the expensive bill she got from the taxi ride from Busan all the way back to Seoul. Looking at her own reflection in the mirror, she couldn’t recognise the person she’s seeing. Blood-shot eyes, smeared eyeliner, flushed pinkish nose and a swollen face to complete the look.

After a thorough wash up, Yongsun entered her room again to find a change of clothes. Then, her phone rang. Yongsun’s heart skipped a beat, she wondered if it was the phone call she was waiting for. She stood on the spot for a while staring at her phone vibrating on the table, it was faced down thus she couldn’t see who the caller was. Yongsun took a deep breath and headed towards the phone slowly, she picked up the phone and answered immediately, waiting for the voice she’s been wanting to hear.

“Hello?” It’s not her.

“Yes, Hyunsik.” Disappointment filled up Yongsun’s heart quickly.

“Good morning!”, Hyunsik greeted brightly. “I hope you didn’t forget about the plans today.”

“Plans…?”

“Ok, you did.” Hyunsik’s tone immediately went to a disappointing one, “You promised you’ll meet Saejoon with me, to talk about Yonghye’s interview remember?”

“Yes, I didn’t forget that. It’s today?” Yongsun mentally cursed in her heart, she regretted agreeing to it now.

“Yes, it’s been decided to be dinner time. I’ll text you the time and address later, do you want me to pick you up?”

“No, I said we’re going separately.”

“Alright chill, I get that. I’ll see you tonight then.”

 

***

 

It was slightly warmer today. Despite what happened last night, Yongsun couldn’t help but still wanting to see her. As she walked down the road towards the familiar Starbucks, she tried to kept her movements more elegant, even brushing back her hair following the wind directions.

However, despite searching hard with her eyes scanning every table beside the window, there wasn’t any sight of Byulyi. Amongst the cars parked, there wasn’t any black BMW with the car plate 9192 either. Yongsun refused to give up, she walked into Starbucks and searched every corner, there still isn’t a Byulyi in sight. Was she angry? No, she doesn’t have a right to be angry. Yongsun should be the one that’s angry instead, suddenly her mood changed and she stomped out of Starbucks.

 

***

 

Upon reaching her work studio, Yongsun finds a wedding invitation on the table. Baffled, she ripped open the envelope and sees a couple sticking their faces together smiling, and the guy in the photo is actually Eric Nam.

In a moment of confusion, Yongsun couldn’t believe her eyes. She laid out the wedding invitation flat on the table and examined it carefully. It stated clearly: Eric Nam, Stephanie Kim hereby invites you to their wedding ceremony on May 20.

Stephanie Kim? Who was that? A name that she hasn’t even heard before, this was too fast for Yongsun to process what’s going on.

Yongsun picked up the invitation and looked at it closer, before she threw it back on the table. Suddenly she didn’t know what she was feeling, complicated? Even though Yongsun had never seriously considered about Eric’s feelings towards her, however when he stood behind Yongsun confessing his feelings towards her, it left a deep impression and guilt towards her. Yet  right  after he got rejected from Yongsun, he immediately found another woman and already getting married? Can one even move on so fast, or is it just her that’s lagging behind the current generation?

While she was deep in her thoughts, Eric came into her studio and snapped her out of her thoughts. Did he knock? When did he knock?

“Have you seen it?” Eric pointed to the invitation on the table with his mouth.

“Saw it.” Yongsun calmly stated, trying hard not to show any emotions.

“How do you feel about it?” Eric tried to poke, hopefully maybe a tinge of regret from Yongsun.

“Happy for you.”

“Really? I thought you would even feel sad for a moment.” Luckily, Eric’s cheekiness towards Yongsun hasn’t changed.

Sitting in her chair, Eric wheeled himself towards the sofa and gestured for Yongsun to sit down. “I have 3 missions for you.”

“Shoot.” Yongsun replied as she sat down.

“One, on that day you’ll help me count the cash.”

“Sure.”

“Two, get me 2 Mercedes-Benz. I want them to be pure, shiny white, as good as brand new.”

“2?” Yongsun opened her eyes widely. “Ok, where do I get those? Car rental company?”

“I have no budget for that!” Eric exclaimed loudly with his hands in the air.

“And where am I supposed to get that? I don’t know anyone who owns a Mercedes, not to mention you want two.” Yongsun crossed her arms and leaned back onto her sofa and stared at the ceiling.

“You don’t know, someone knows!” Eric replied in a very ambiguous tone as he leaned forward with his hands on his knees, putting his head between his face, trying to appeal to Yongsun.

“If someone knows, then you should look for someone. Why are you asking me?” Yongsun was starting to get annoyed.

“I can’t really talk to someone, but you’re different.”

“Eric Nam!” Yongsun snapped, she sat up to find herself looking at a gross-looking human being staring her trying to act like he had puppy eyes, “Firstly, you’re not Wheein so wipe that gross expression off your face.” Eric immediately sat up straight. “Secondly, if you still treat me as your friend and colleague, please respect me and not talk to me like that.”

“Alright alright, I’m sorry alright? I’ll look for her myself.” Eric wheeled himself backwards in the chair. “There are several of them placed at their company anyway.”

“That’s none of my concern.”

“However, for the third mission you’ll really have to help me. Promise you’ll not get angry!” Eric asked in a very sincere expression and tone.

“And that depends on what you’re asking me of?” Yongsun crossed her hands once again, as though to be wary of what’s coming next.

“You know, we live in a world of snobbery. It’s like, if you hang out with people that has status, you yourself will be claimed as someone of status. Likewise, if you’re seen with people that the society look down on, you too will also be look down upon. Especially in the media and entertainment industry we’re in, we’re all fighting for who has the biggest connections, who has a strong background…” Eric started his long-winded preach.

Yongsun roughly knew what he was trying to say, she put up a hand infront of Eric effectively shutting him up. “Ok stop, what do you want me to do? Stop going in circles, I’m starting to get dizzy.”

“Please invite someone- I mean Miss Moon Byulyi to my wedding!” He was straight-forward.

“Just issue her a wedding invitation, isn’t it that simple?”

“Wrong. According to my sources, Miss Moon rarely attends such events, not to even mention my relationship with her is just, barely there?”

“She’s not even our country’s president! Why would you insist on her presence?”

“Because she’s hot?!” Eric earned a death stare from Yongsun. “I mean, she’s cool and mysterious. Since she hardly attends any events other than business events, if she could attend my wedding, that would prove to the entire media and entertainment industry my relationship with her is… something!”

Yongsun looked at Eric, she sighed deeply. “Eric oppa. We’re just enough as we are, is there a need for this?”

“Yongsun, this industry is harsh. Talents or visuals, they come secondary in this industry. It’s no longer the past where all these are far more important. In the society now, if you have a backing that’s big enough, whoever that passes the audition can make it in the industry. It is that realistic now, I’m sorry to break your innocent mindset. If Miss Moon attends my wedding, it could mean that we’re looking at a long-term relationship with the Moon Group. I’m also doing this for our company.”

Sighing, Yongsun swiveled away from Eric. How much she wanted to tell him it’s not the truth. The one that’s innocent here is Eric, not her. She herself knew that the only reason why the Moon Group agreed to partner up with RBW was because of Yongsun, that’s all.

Eric pressed on. “Yongsun?”

Seeing Yongsun turning back, Eric once again tried to push his luck. “Please? Talk to Miss Moon for me? Just one word from you-”

“Eric Nam!” Yongsun exclaimed, she hated it whenever Eric always tried to link up her and Byulyi together.

Her exclaims went on deaf ears as Eric continued. “Please Yongsun, just help me out this once! As long as Miss Moon comes, you don’t have to prepare any wedding gifts for me.”

Yongsun snorted. “I’d rather prepare wedding gifts for you.”

“Come on Yongsun. I can’t even talk to her, she always had that way high up aura, it’s so hard to even reach her.” Eric was starting to sound very desperate.

Really? Yongsun thought to herself. She always thought that Byulyi was a superior that didn’t have any airs to herself, or was it that it was only in front of Yongsun only will Byulyi act differently?

Eric leaned back in his seat comfortably in a lazy posture. “Yongsun, initially I was really unconvinced and upset. I felt that I’ve waited so long for you and it all came down to nothing. But if you’re really came out together with Miss Moon, I would accept the defeat willingly. Yet you…” Eric swallowed back his words.

Yongsun stared at Eric intensely, waiting to see what kind of marvelous speech would spit out from his mouth again.

Eric crossed his legs and continued. “Remember the day you rejected me? The day when I confronted her after you left in a fury. Yet what all she told me was: Our relationship, I don’t have to discuss it with you. The hell, she was really hot when she said that! She doesn’t even have me in her eyes. I was so angry that I even wanted to resign on the spot. Later, I had a friend whose words enlightened me. My friend knows who Miss Moon is as well so I asked her: Between me Eric Nam and Moon Byulyi, who would you choose? Now we’re not talking about gender differences here alright? My friend whom did not even spare a second thinking, replied this: If the multiple-choice question has a Moon Byulyi inside, regardless whether she is A, B, C or D option. She is forever the correct answer.”

Yongsun stared at Eric once again, this time with her eyebrows cocked up. “And what is your point exactly?”

Slamming the table with his hands while standing up, “My friend’s answer had me straighten my thoughts out.” Eric stood up straight with a hand over his chest, “In the past I’ve tried so hard to pit myself against her, for what? I’d rather thank the Gods, for I have you,” Eric gestured a hand towards Yongsun, “Someone whose relationship to Miss Moon is as strong as steel, is more beneficial to me. So, now, your choice, I have no objections.” Eric smiled sweetly.

As much as this speech is pretty much redundant information taking up unnecessary space in her brain, listening to Eric had made Yongsun realised something. Moon Byulyi to Yong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter