One step away

Third Way of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey shameless." A towel landed on Byulyi's face as she lies on the mat.

"Look who finally decides to stop ignoring me." Byulyi keeps the towel on her face as she speaks through it. Hyejin walks over to Byulyi's side and lays down right beside her. "You deserve it."

"You ignoring me? Or that slap?"

"Everything. Including that kiss."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

Both Byulyi and Hyejin lays in silent for awhile on the mat.

"Hyejinie." Byulyi broke the silence.

"Spit it."

"You're rude."

"You finally realised? Never too late."

"I've should have realised it earlier."

"You did. It's just that you succumbed into your jealousy." Hyejin turn to take a glance at Byulyi, still keeping the towel on her face. Hyejin is almost sure that it was because Byulyi doesn't want Hyejin to see her embarrassed face. Heaving a sigh, Hyejin turns her face back to face the ceiling. "The things we do for love. Anyway, Park Hyunsik resigned."

"I know."

"I've informed the developer to call off the lawsuit."

"I know."

"I've intended to prepare a lawyer for Wheein if it didn't work out between you and Yongsun unnie."

"I know."

"There's one thing you don't know for sure."

"Surprise me."

"The lawyer is Yunho oppa."

"I know- nothing of that. Wait what?!" Byulyi sat up immediately and look at Hyejin, whom is closing her eyes and lying peacefully on the mat.

"Never too late to realise that." Chandong's voice travelled to Byulyi's ears behind her.

"And just what do the both of you think you're doing?" Hyunseok is just right above Chandong, the exact same position like earlier on Byulyi with Yongsun.

"Making fun of you." Hyunseok stated, looking at Chandong tenderly without even glancing at Byulyi.

"So the lawsuit's off? Hyejin?" Yunho walks in infront of Byulyi and Hyejin.

"Yep." Hyejin replied, eyes still closed.

"Who allowed you to take up part time cases?" Byulyi questioned Yunho.

"I'm not. I was going to help Hyejin to fight against the developer. Hyejin is family." Yunho grins.

"I didn't know you would do pro bono."

"I'm not. I was informed that my fees would be charged to you, that was part of the reason why I agreed. To rip you off." Yunho wriggles his eyebrows up and down.

"You did not-"

"Trust me, I did." Hyejin gave a deadly glare at Byulyi. "Thankfully you decided to ask them to call off the lawsuit. Otherwise I don't know how we're going to spend the money that Yunho oppa wins from the lawsuit." Hyejin gave a deep consideration as she talks.

"I could have gotten a new guitar." Chandong speaks out in a very depressed tone.

Caressing his cheeks, Hyunseok looks at Chandong with a soft tender gaze. "Don't worry baby, I'll change the strings for you. They'll be good as new."

"Damn. What is wrong with all of you. Remind me why I engaged all of you again?" Byulyi curses as she crashes herself back onto the mat.

"Because we're best of the best, and we learn from the best."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"Anyway, what about Wheein's case?"

"Is there even a need to ask me this? You're just doing things your way anyway. Just do whatever you want."

"Call. Don't you regret it."

"My only regret is hiring you as my personal assistant."

"Yes you should regret on that." Hyejin turns to look at Byulyi, and gave a creepy smile.

 

***

 

For once, Yongsun had insomnia the whole night.

In the darkness, Yongsun flips and turns herself from left to right, right to left, facing upwards at the ceiling, even almost suffocating herself as she was lying her face flat on her pillow. Gasping for air suddenly, she quickly sat up and was greeted by the shimmering bright stars hanging high up amongst the dark night. She never knew that while she was always sleeping soundly, there was actually such a beautiful night scenery daily.  

Just like how she never knew that, in her 27 years of life, she would actually encounter such a dramatic love relationship, that you would normally see it in a television drama.

When she first met Hyunsik, Yongsun was only 19 years old. After she graduated from university, she continued to stay in Seoul because of Hyunsik, 8 years of their time together, Hyunsik left when he said he wants to leave. Despite so, Hyunsik’s betrayal towards Yongsun only left her in anger, yet in contrast to her encounter with Byulyi, Yongsun was instead left feeling powerless and sentimental. Byulyi’s low husky voice, her soft yet sad gaze expressions, the feint sweet smell on her, constantly surrounds Yongsun’s mind and surrounding, unwilling to leave her.

Yongsun prays silently to herself, hoping that she could just disappear from her mind, just like how the wind disappears in the air, how the water disappears in the sand, please let her not leave any of her traces behind. Yongsun mumbles to herself in the deep starry night.

 

 

To cover up for her insomnia the whole night, Yongsun deliberately put on some makeup, in which she usually doesn’t have anything on when she doesn’t have any schedules. After breakfast, Yongsun immediately makes her way to the police station to pick Wheein up.

Upon arrival, Yongsun finds a confused CEO Kim talking to Officer Ryu, in a slightly agitated matter.

“What do you mean someone else took her? Wasn’t it agreed that we would settle this?”

Officer Ryu puts his hands in front of CEO Kim, trying to calm him down. “Sir, would you ple- “

“No, I’m not going to agree to this.” CEO Kim cuts Officer Ryu off, declining to listen to his explanation or whatsoever.

 Yongsun quickly steps in and puts her hand on CEO Kim’s to attempt to calm him down. “What’s wrong?”

“Yongsun ah, someone else took Wheein. Didn’t we agreed to settle this? What’s going on?”

Yongsun throws a confused look, before turning her attention to Officer Ryu. He gave a deep sigh, before bringing out a smile as though he’s done with CEO Kim’s rambling. “Look, I was trying to explain but your CEO is not giving me a chance to.”

Yongsun gave an awkward smile, followed by a slight bow. “I’m sorry, my CEO is just anxious about Wheein. She’s like a daughter to all us, especially him.” Yongsun turns to look at CEO Kim, giving him a smile as though she’s done with him, too.

Officer Ryu nods his head, before he continues. “Right. As I was saying- “

This time CEO Kim’s phone rang, interrupting the conversation.

“Yes Eric? Oh? Alright, I’m coming back now.” CEO Kim quickly ends the conversation before grabbing Yongsun’s hand in an attempt to quickly leave.

“Woah wait, what’s going on?” Yongsun pulls back CEO Kim.

“Wheein is in the office. We have to go back now, hurry!” Without giving much explanation, CEO Kim quickly pulls Yongsun out of the police station.

“I seriously swear, this group of people together with the whoever people related to the Moon Group are all acting in a drama right now.” Officer Ryu curses to his colleague as he watches the both of them leave. “Well, at least we get to see and read something new in the news now? Speaking of which, I’ve never realised it but don’t you think Yongsun-ssi is a bit hot? She’s an actress right? I wouldn’t mind watching her dramas just because of her… chubby cheeks, cute.”

 

***

 

“Wheein, I-I ca-can’t breathe.” Yongsun grasps for air as Wheein hugs her tightly.

“Omo! I’m sorry unnie!” Wheein quickly let go of Yongsun, and lets her catch a breather. “Thank you unnie! Thank you! I love you very much!” Before Yongsun could even say anything, she’s once again caught in Wheein’s embrace.

Just as the embrace was still ongoing, a slight cough could be heard, in which all the attention was directed to.

“Oh? Hyejinie?” Yongsun softly pushes Wheein aside.

“Yongsun unnie, I almost thought my existence was invisible here.” Hyejin casually joked. “Anyway, meet Hwangeun-ssi, representative lawyer from the developer’s side.” Beside Hyejin stood a middle aged, refined looking man. He bowed slightly and extends his hand out towards Yongsun. “Yongsun-ssi? Hi, nice to meet you.”

Yongsun doesn’t know who is he, but still extends out her hand to receive the handshake, “Hi, nice to meet you?”

“I’ve saw you the other day at the rooftop too, thank you back then for your hardwork!” Hwangeun responded warmly. Yongsun didn’t really understand where was this conversation leading to. “Thank you…?”

“You could have just approached me directly with this small matter, you wouldn’t have to trouble Miss Moon to interfere with this matter personally. We’re ashamed of ourselves, it was our side that had the communication breakdown.” – As expected, this was Byulyi’s doing, once again. In the end, she still did something that she did not have to do, Yongsun thought to herself.

“Ah. Then may I ask how does your side intend to resolve this matter?” Yongsun enquired.

“We’ve withdrew the lawsuit, the building had already been bought just this morning. There wouldn’t be anymore issues, don’t worry! We would also compensate back for any scares that was made towards Wheein-ssi here.” Hwangeun patted on his chest as a sign of assurance.

Since the matter was resolved happily, Yongsun was deliberating whether she should give Byulyi a call to convey her thanks. In the end she decided against it, instead she sent a short message to her, it was just two words. “Thank you.”

And for Byulyi, she did not reply.

 

***

 

Sitting in front of CEO Kim, Yongsun clasp her hands together and avoiding her eyes on CEO Kim, unsure of where would this conversation lead to.

“Why?” CEO Kim questioned Yongsun in shock.

“It’s too tough, I need to take care of my mother, her health is not that good.”

“You’ve barely started, but I can reduce the workload. I’ll get Wheein to reject the other offers, until you finish what you’re doing now. Then you can pick on jobs that are less time demanding, we’ll adjust your schedule. I’ll have them make sure you have enough time to take care of your mother. Or we could arrange for your mother to come live in Seoul with you too.”

“I just feel that being affiliated with the Moon Group itself is already tiring. I feel so burdensome, unlike before.”

“You think too much Yongsun. I know it feels like a burden since you’re the one that we and the Moon Group is trying to push, it may feel tough now, but it’ll get better and you’ll get used to it in the future.”

“But I’m feeling too exhausted right now, I can’t wait till the future.”

“What’s wrong? You’re not the one that would give up this easily. Do you know how many people out there wants to be in your position right now, why are you giving this up right now? There are much more people who are having it more tough, more tiring than you. Just how tough is this right now compared to what you’ve done before? Endure this for awhile more longer, you will get recognised for your talent and hard work and you’ll reap the benefits in the future. You would have the money for your mother’s medical bills, your brother’s school fees, and still enjoying what you’re doing.” CEO Kim tries to convince Yongsun out of her decision.

Unable to refute CEO Kim’s reasoning, Yongsun decides to be stubborn and just go ahead with her decision. “Anyway, my contract ends awhile after I finish up the projects that I’m contracted to, I won't leave anything unfinished before I leave. I have every right to not renew it.” Yongsun gets up and leave CEO Kim’s office, leaving him in a face that he couldn’t believe what he just heard.

 

***

 

Barely 10 minutes Yongsun could warm her on her sofa, Eric storms into her work studio with Wheein following in behind.

Heaving heavily, Eric tries to catch his breath while Wheein started rambling first.

“Unnie, am I a bad manager to you? Is that why you’re leaving? You don’t want me anymore?” Wheein snuggles up to beside Yongsun, grabbing her arms looking at her, as though on the verge of crying.

“No Wheein, it’s not-“

“Yongsun! Don’t misunderstand, whatever that I’ve said yesterday its all a joke. You know I’m just being concerned!” Eric cuts into the conversation. Immediately after, a cushion was sent flying towards Eric’s face. “Yah Jung Wheein!”  

“Just what did you say to Yongsun unnie? You dumb oppa.” Wheein glares angrily at Eric, a tear or two had already rolled down her cheeks.

“I did not say anything bad, I swear!” Eric whines.

Yongsun crosses her arms, before giving a smile. “Stop it you two.” Wheein turns to look at Yongun, once again giving her puppy eyes. “Then why are you leaving?”

“It’s not anyone’s fault. It’s me, I just want to spend more time with my mother.”

“We can reduce your workload! We can just shoot one drama per year

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter