012

My Childhood Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Soojin attended school as usual, but this time she had a black mask on to cover the lower part of her face. The bruise on her cheek got better but it was still visible.

 

"I caught a cold, " she lied when people around her ask her about why she was wearing a mask.

 

But her lie couldn't trick Hyejin, who knows her too well.

 

Soojin went to her seat, realising that Jaehyun was already there in his seat, next to her. Jaehyun turned to Soojin when she arrived, with concern written all over his face.

 

Soojin smiled, but only her eyes were seen smiling. She smiled to assure Jaehyun that she was alright, better than the day before.

 

In actual fact, she wasn't even okay. Her body was tired, her mind was in a mess, she wasn't even in a mood to smile. But all of that would make Jaehyun worry, and Soojin didn't want him to worry about her anymore. She felt like she had been a burden to Jaehyun and it was enough.

 

Before Soojin could land in her seat, Hyejin appeared before her. "Soojin, " she called.

 

Soojin turned to Hyejin, "Yeah? "

 

"Why are you wearing a mask? "

 

"I caught a-"

 

"Don't lie to me." Hyejin snapped, and Soojin was left dumbfounded.

 

"Did it… happen again? " Hyejin lowered her voice as she questioned Soojin.

 

Jaehyun twirled his pencil in his fingers, acting like he wasn't hearing to their conversation, but in actual fact he was listening to everything.

 

Soojin cleared and took a glance at Jaehyun. When she saw that he 'wasn't paying attention', she nodded slightly at Hyejin's question.

 

Hyejin sighed in disappointment and shook her head.
"You should consider moving out. Seriously, Soojin."

 

Hyejin nagged a little as she digged her pocket. She then took out a small bottle of balm. "Put this on your bruise, " she whispered, "Come on, I'll help you."

 

Hyejin offered help, but unfortunately the bell rang right then.

 

"It's okay, I'll do it myself later. Thanks, Hyejin. You're the best."

 

Hyejin gave her a small hug and went back to her seat.

 

The lessons went on for three hours. Although it was hard to stay focused because she only had an hour of sleep, Soojin tried her best keeping her eyes open.

 

Jaehyun stared at her, worried. Sneakily, he passed her a candy.

 

Mochi-ah, you should eat this to keep you awake.

 

He wrote on a post-it with the candy.

 

Soojin smiled as she received the candy from him.
Thanks, Jae (:
She wrote back.

 

She unwrapped the candy and smoothly ate it without getting caught by the teacher. Soojin smiled through her eyes right after eating. Jaehyun smiled at the sight of Soojin smiling.

 

I like your smile, Soojin.

 

Then, the bell rang for break.

 

"Mochi."


Jaehyun called Soojin.

Soojin blinked and responded, "What? "

 

"I made some lunch, enough for two. Do you… wanna share?" Jaehyun shyly asked as he pointed to his lunch bag.

 

Hyejin who heard his question chuckled and cleared , "Of course she wants to. Right, Soojin? "

 

Soojin looked confused and laughed awkwardly, "Ha. Ha. O-Of course. Sure, why not? "

 

Hyejin patted Soojin head, "Good girl. I'll head for the school cafeteria. See you."

 

Before making her way out of the classroom, Hyejin laughed and patted Jaehyun's back, "Nice move, buddy."

 

Jaehyun almost choked on his own saliva, not sure if it was because of Hyejin's pat on his back, or because of her statement.

 

What nice move, exactly?

 

"By the way, Jae, " Soojin called for him.

 

He snapped himself off his daze and turned to Soojin. "Yes?"

 

"Can we go eat som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter