Chapter 6

As I Am

Sarang didn’t even bother to knock on Minsung’s door and merely put in the passcode. She had texted him after she got her new car that morning and he replied with a request for brunch.

“Minsungie, I’m here.” Sarang called out as she took off her shoes before fully entering the apartment.

“In the kitchen! Want tea?” Minsung yelled out. Sarang called out ‘yes’ as she made her way to the kitchen. She placed the bag of food on the counter before going to give her best friend a hug.

“How did the shower turn out?” Sarang asked as she took the food containers out and put them on the island. Minsung got two mugs out and put them on the island before getting the tea.

“They fixed it, thankfully and hyung paid. Ugh! I can’t believe he broke my showerhead!” Minsung exclaimed as Sarang poured tea for the both of them.

“How did Sehyuk oppa break it?” Sarang wondered as her and Minsung began to eat.

“He brought a girl over and they did, things.” Minsung shuddered and Sarang pinched her eyebrows together at what Minsung was implying.

“Did he use the showerhead on her-“ “Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Don’t say it! I’m still trying to get the images out!” Minsung had put his hand over Sarang’s mouth, stopping her from saying what she was going to say.

“He’s such a weirdo.” Sarang muttered and Minsung merely nodded his head.

“I had to disinfect my bathroom so many times. I still don’t think it’s clean enough. I might have to redo my entire bathroom!” Minsung stated, rubbing a hand down his face.

“Is this the stuff you had to tell me? Giving me a heads up about you moving in for a bit while your bathroom is remodeled?” Sarang stated.

“Huh? Oh, no. No! What I have to tell you is that I met a girl.” Minsung grinned.

“A girl?” Sarang wondered as she took off the lids from the containers and opened up the plastic wrapping that held their needed eating utensils.

“Yes, a girl and she was so pretty and nice and because of her, I’m not even mad at my hyung and the rest of our friends. I even made a new friend!” Minsung said as he sat at the counter, Sarang following suit.

“What happened?” So Minsung went on to explain and Sarang was a bit surprised to hear that his story sounded similar to the one Rhythm told her except that his story involved more detail of the prank and the embarrassment and anxiety that he felt when the girls ignored him.

“And then like angels, she appeared with an ice cream and the new hyung just appeared. But she was so pretty and nice and she wasn’t wearing makeup but she still looked gorgeous. And the hyung was so nice and is super cool and he has a job at a café to help him get extra money while he majors in design! I’m so mad that I never got her name though! I got the hyung’s name though. ” Minsung pouted.

“Minsungie, your food is getting cold.” Sarang warned around a mouthful of her waffle. “Do you still have the pictures that you all took?”

Minsung nodded his head as he sliced his omelet and ate a piece. He fished his phone out of his pocket and handed it to Sarang. She knew the code to unlock his phone just like he knew hers. Sarang went to the gallery app and found the pictures that Minsung was talking about and she wasn’t surprised to see that she knew who the girl was. She smirked a small smirk before clearing the expression off her face and turning off the phone screen, handing the phone back to Minsung so she could finish her food.

“I wish I could meet her again but I don’t even know where to look! And it seemed like hyung liked her. Like, liked her liked her. I feel bad that I can’t help him find her when he had helped me.” Minsung cried as he and Sarang moved to his couch after cleaning up after themselves. They had the television on at a low volume and sat facing each other.

“Why don’t you post one of the pictures on your Instagram and see if your followers can help find her?” Sarang offered as she took a sip of her tea.

“I don’t want her privacy to be invaded!” Minsung exclaimed.

“Well, if it’s meant to be, then you all will meet again.” Sarang assured.

“You think so?” Minsung asked, hope in his expression.

“I know so.” Sarang smiled, placing a hand on her best friend’s shoulder. “So is that all that you needed to tell me?” Sarang turned slightly so she could see what it was exactly that they were “watching”.

“Oh! No, it’s not actually. But first, what’s the story behind you and Kim Sanggyun? Don’t think I didn’t notice how you two were yesterday. His son also seem to have liked you too.” Sarang sighed, knowing that he would have noticed. To be honest, she was a bit embarrassed by the lack of action she had taken her first year of high school. She’s Shin Sarang, for crying out loud and what she wants, she gets. But she’s also human and rejection scared her even if she didn’t like to show it.

“We were at the same school for a year, before I left to the U.S.” Sarang said, taking a bigger sip of her tea to give her time to process her thoughts.

“Okay, and? There’s more to that. Is he…is he the reason why you moved? Was he that guy that made you cry?!” Minsung stood up, remembering the few days Sarang would go to him and sob. She never exactly said why but she told him it was because a guy broke her heart.

“He himself didn’t make me cry, just the situation that had happened with him.” Sarang clarified.

“So what was the situation exactly?” Minsung asked, sitting back down. He didn’t really need to ask since he had an idea more or less but he just wanted to be sure.

“He got a girl pregnant so I had no chance to be with him. I really had no other reason to stay there at that school so I left. He literally was the only reason why I went to that school and I don’t think I could handle seeing him everyday after that.” Sarang pitifully said. Minsung lightly tsked but he wrapped an arm around her and gave his best friend a much needed hug.

“And what about now? I assume it’s different now.” Minsung said.

“I mean, in a way yes. Stacey isn’t exactly in the picture from what I understand and I’m not that scared little girl anymore. But it’s not like I’m going to go after him. I don’t exactly know their situation so they could be in a relationship. I may be a lot of things but I’m not a home wrecker.” Sarang said.

“Hah! As if you didn’t knowingly sleep with some girl’s boyfriend because she did something you didn’t like.” Sarang rolled her eyes.

“Those times were different. I actually care about Sanggyun and Jiwoo. I’m capable of living morally, you know.” Sarang raised a brow when Minsung cackled.

“Last time that happened, you were in elementary and even then you would harass someone when you saw fit.” Minsung yelped when he was hit with a pillow.

“Shut up! Anyways, as I was saying, moral of the story is that I was a little my first year of high school and that prevented me from possibly being happy.” Sarang said, a bit miffed by Minsung’s comments.

“You weren’t a little . You were just scared and rightfully so. You were at a school where everyone was significantly poorer than you. Even if majority is middle-class, it’s still low compared to you. People like us, with money like us, we never really know who to trust outside of our circle and even then, it’s still iffy within our own circle. You’re not the only one who grew up rich, Sarang. Besides, not like you were there to make friends. You were just there for one person.” Minsung said, turning into a therapist for his best friend.

“Yeah but I couldn’t even talk to him. You know, I was the lowest of the low at that school. You would think that I would be treated like a queen because of who my dad is and who I am but that wasn’t the case. They never did anything to me because of who I was but they all basically banded together to spread the meanest rumors and make me feel like an outcast. It was hard, oppa. And a part of me thought that Sanggyun would be the exact same way and turn me away if I tried to talk to him which was a stupid fear since he was always kind to everyone. It was the worst but the small ray of hope that I had of at least just becoming friends with Sanggyun kept me there. And then Stacey Tune had to go and get pregnant by him and Sanggyun being the nice guy that he is, took responsibility.” Sarang didn’t understand why her eyes had began to tear towards the end of her spiel but she didn’t like it. “Agh! Why the hell am I about to cry?!” Sarang exclaimed reaching over to get some Kleenex from the tissue box on the coffee table to wipe her tears away.

“Stacey Tune sounds like a .” Minsung flatly said, petting Sarang’s head as she made dabbed her tears away.

“She really was. She was the only person who outwardly hated me. I think it was because she had been the top student until I got there. She was there on scholarship or something and she wasn’t even Korean. She wasn’t even Asian! She was a white girl from like, Maine or something. She looked like the typical mean girl on those Western high school movies, blonde haired and blue eyed.” Sarang ranted. She never got jealous over people, didn’t have a reason to be but Stacey Tune brought out her little green monster solely because of the tie she has with Sanggyun, as bad as that sounded.

“Wasn’t she a year older than you? How could you beat her at top-student?” Minsung wondered.

“That school had top for each grade and then top for the school. Stacey was actually in her third year so she was older than Sanggyun too. Usually, if you were top for third years, than you were also top for the entire school but I had been the first of the first years to not only be top of our grade, but top for the entire school and she didn’t like it. I don’t know how she figured out that I liked Sanggyun but I guess that was her way to get back at me by getting with him except I don’t think she planned to get pregnant out of it.” Sarang sniffling a bit, still trying to fight her tears. She could count on one hand the low points in her life (even though the public and Aera would consider every front page exclusive of anything negative she does as a low point) and her first year of high school was definitely one of them. She never really talked about it so she’s never really released those pent up emotions.

“Well that’s stupid if you ask me but on the bright side, Sanggyun has Jiwoo now.” Sarang couldn’t help but smile at Minsung’s statement. He was right. Even though she couldn’t stand Jiwoo’s mom, he was a cute and sweet kid and has managed to earn a place in her heart even if they’ve just met twice.

“Oh, another thing to tell you. You remember Sanggyun’s brother, the guy that was fixing my showerhead?” Sarang nodded her head at Minsung’s question.

“So, don’t be mad, okay. But I talked to him about Sanggyun and may have told him that you kind of, sort of liked Sanggyun and-YAH! I SAID DON’T BE MAD!” Minsung screamed, putting his arms up to block Sarang’s pillow attacks.

“Why would you do that?! What is wrong with you?!” Sarang said every word with each hit.

“Hear me out, stupid!” Minsung exclaimed, managing to get the pillow out of Sarang’s grip. “First of all, I don’t think he even knows who you actually are, okay. Second of all, he told me that Sanggyun and Stacey aren’t even together romantic wise. They only talk like once a month and that’s only because of Jiwoo.” Minsung informed her. “But he also advised that you didn’t waste your time because all of Sanggyun’s time and energy is used to provide for Jiwoo.” Sarang scoffed lightly, knowing full well that that was the case.

“But if it helps, he said that you seemed like a nice person.”

“Oh yeah, then he definitely doesn’t know who I am.”