Chapter 10

As I Am

The cheer that Jiwoo let out when Sanggyun told him about Sarang’s offer the next morning gave him more energy than drinking ten cups of coffee. It may have gave Taeyang a bit of a surprise since he didn’t expect that reaction but seeing how happy his nephew was definitely made it worth it.

“When is noona going to take me to the movies?” Jiwoo excitedly asked as Sanggyun brushed his hair.

“Sometime this week. We’ll go over the details soon. Are you excited?” Sanggyun laughed as Jiwoo let out another cheer. “Okay, okay, I take it that you’re really excited but I’m going to need you to stay still so your hair doesn’t look all goofy.” Sanggyun said. Jiwoo complied and stayed still long enough for his dad to do his hair before finally being allowed to run around the small apartment to let out his excitement. While Sanggyun and Taeyang got ready, they could hear Jiwoo happily singing different songs from the Mary Poppins’ movie.

“That is probably all we’re going to be hearing even after he sees the movie.” Taeyang chuckled. Sanggyun let out a sigh but smiled afterwards.

“This is the happiest he has probably been.” Sanggyun noted, sounding a bit sad. Taeyang patted his back comfortingly.

“You’re doing the best you can, Sanggyun. And you’re doing an awesome job being his appa. Jiwoo can see that, even if Stacey doesn’t.” Taeyang reassured.

“I know, hyung. Thanks.” Sanggyun gave his brother a sad smile before moving to leave the room. “Jiwoo, let’s clean up the breakfast. Sangdo hyung is going to be here soon to watch you so your uncle and I can go to work.” Sanggyun called, putting an end to Jiwoo’s running and briefly putting an end to his singing just to he can say ‘Okay, appa!’ before continuing to sing.

Just as Taeyang and Sanggyun finished getting ready, there was a knock at their door and Jiwoo was excitedly running to it and yelling ‘Sangdo hyung is here! Sangdo hyung is here!’.

“Hi hyung!” Sanggyun greeted Sangdo once he got the door opened to let in Sangdo who barely got a step in before a small body was wrapped around him in a hug.

“Hyung! I’m going to go see Mary Poppins!” Jiwoo cheered as Sangdo picked him up so he could properly hug him.

“Oh really now.” Sangdo said with a smile, looking at Sanggyun a bit confused.

“I’ll explain later. Right now I have to get going. Jiwoo, I’ll see you later. Be good for hyung, okay. Thank you again, hyung.” Sanggyun give Jiwoo a kiss on the cheek before leaving. Taeyang left after him, giving Jiwoo a hug and saying a quick ‘hi and bye’ to Sangdo since he was running short on time.

“Okay, Jiwoo. Want to show me your notebook so I can see your letters?” Sangdo asked, putting Jiwoo down who only ran to the shelf to grab the book said hyung had gifted him and proudly show his work.

That afternoon, Sangdo took Jiwoo out so he could get some fresh air and also so Sangdo could run some errands which Jiwoo loved to do with him. Jiwoo is a good and happy kid and while Sangdo was probably just as disappointed as Taeyang was when he found out that Sanggyun was going to be a father at such a young age. That all changed though when Jiwoo was born and Sanggyun called his friends to let them know. They had all gone to the hospital to see the baby, all of them offering babysitting services even if neither of them really had experiences with babies. Sangdo had been the one to get Sanggyun the job at the café since Hojoon was a friend of his. Their other friend, Hyosang, got Sanggyun another job as a bartender at a club that he occasionally performed at. Sangwon couldn’t do much in the job department but he did help out with Jiwoo when he wasn’t busy with college. Angry would be an understatement to describe how they all felt when Stacy left South Korea, leaving Sanggyun by himself to raise Jiwoo.

“There’s noona!” Sangdo was pulled out of his thoughts by Jiwoo’s excited cheer. He turned to look at the billboard of models, advertising a clothing brand and he recognized the girl that Jiwoo was happy over seeing.

“Shin Sarang?” Sangdo was very familiar with Sarang and the rest of the Shin family. She’s the daughter of one of the richest and most successful men in South Korea who was grandson of a mere entrepreneur with a dream. Now the Shins are a family who is known by everyone. And Sarang especially. He knew about her princess attitude, her volatile behavior and mood-swings. Everyone knew about it. It was always in newspapers and talked about on different celebrity gossip shows. Sarang was not a girl that a son would take home to meet their parents and was definitely not someone that many people would think to have the patience to deal with children.

“Yeah! That’s my noona! She’s going to take me to see Mary Poppins and she likes white chocolate like me and thinks that I’m really smart and she bought me a smoothie and a cookie and she went to the same school as my appa and mom and I love her!” Jiwoo said in one breath, but not seeming to be fazed.

“Really now?” Sangdo asked, still finding it hard to believe. But Jiwoo just merely nodded his head, still looking at the advertisement.

“Noona is so pretty and nice.” Jiwoo grinned. Sangdo just looked at the little boy, still confused. Sanggyun has some explaining to do.

Later that week, Sarang sat in a chair as she got her hair and makeup done. Her manager and friend, Hyun Ho sat in the chair next to her as he went organized her emails and upcoming schedules.

“So what exactly do you want me to do for Friday?” Hyun Ho questioned, looking up from his tablet.

“Cancel the photo-shoot with Ceci. I don’t want to have Jiwoo out too late.” Sarang said, making sure to stay still so her eye makeup didn’t mess up.

“And who is Jiwoo?” Hyun Ho wondered, proceeding to do what was necessary for the schedule changes.

“If you had gotten the texts, you would’ve known.” Sarang replied. Hyun Ho chuckled, looking at Sarang who was still not able to look at him.

“Excuse me for wanting to enjoy that time with my family.” Sarang allowed a quick smile to appear on her face before going back to her blank expression to the makeup didn’t crease.

“It’s fine, oppa. Jiwoo is a new friend that I made and I am taking him to see Mary Poppins on Friday.” Sarang explained.

“Tell me more when you aren’t in the risk of messing up the stylists. I’m going to go check that everything is running smoothly.” Hyun Ho said, getting up and leaving the room.

When Sarang was ready and dressed for the first set of photos, she stepped out onto the set. She recognized many of the other models there from previous photo-shoots but there was only one that she genuinely liked.

“Sarang! How are you?” Byungjoo—he used B-Joo as his model and dancer name though—left the conversation he had been having with another female model and hurried over to greet Sarang, being mindful of the wires.

“Hello, Byungjoo oppa. I’ve been doing good. You?” Sarang hugged back Byungjoo who quickly pulled her in for a tight hug.

“I’ve been great! I have a dance performance coming up. Do you think you and Minsung hyung will be able to make it?” Byungjoo wondered.

“I can’t speak for Minsung but I know I’ll try my best to be there. Just let me know when it is and I’ll have Hyun Ho clear up my schedule for it.” Sarang assured.

Byungjoo was a friend that Sarang and Minsung had made who was not from their social circle originally. He was born middle class to two parents with mundane jobs, making enough for the family to live comfortably. He first met Minsung in high school when Minsung started attending the dance studio that he was in. They both hit it off and Minsung eventually introduced him to Sarang one of the times Sarang came back to visit. At that time, Byungjoo was already an up and coming model—thanks to Minsung’s mom—and also becoming known for his dancing. When him and Sarang met, just like with Minsung, they hit it off. The three would get together and hang out whenever Sarang visited the country but now that she was back permanently, she knew that the three of them will have a lot of hangouts to catch up on when Minsung wasn’t busy.

They talked and caught up until the director of this shoot began yelling out orders for the models. It was a long day of flashing lights, outfit changes, and hair and makeup touch ups until it was all finally over.

“It was good seeing you again, Sarang. And is everything okay with Minsung hyung? He hasn’t come by the dance studio lately.” Byungjoo wondered as him and his own manager walked with Sarang and Hyun Ho.

“He has a fashion show soon.” Was all Sarang needed to say for Byungjoo to understand.

“Ahhh. Say no more, Sarang. I’ll talk to you later, okay. Say hi to Minsung hyung for me.” And with that, Byungjoo was leaving with his manager while Hyun Ho was opening the car door for her before he was going to the other side to get behind the wheel. Hyun Ho simply handed Sarang the aux chord while he started the car but he didn’t have to see Sarang’s phone to know what she was going to play.

How does a bastard, orphan, son of a , and a Scotsman…” Hyun Ho merely sighed while Sarang cheekily grinned. “I thought the Hamilton kick was done?” Sarang just laughed while turning the volume up. “Never. And you haven’t had the chance to listen to the Hamilton Mixtape

“Imagine the public finding out about your addiction. I can just see the headlines now. ‘Shin Sarang, being placed in rehab for overplaying Hamilton.’ What would Aera say?” Hyun Ho said.

“She’d be glad to have me gone. Besides, don’t act like you don’t like singing the songs.” Sarang teased. Happy would be an understatement to describe how she felt having her manager by her side again. Just like Minsung and Dongsung, Hyun Ho was someone that the Shin siblings and Sungwoo trusted and treated like family.

“Alright, you win. Where did you say you wanted to go to?” Hyun Ho asked.

“A car dealership. I need to buy a safer car.” Sarang simply said before continuing to sing along with the song.

“I have a feeling that this has to do with this Jiwoo person.” Hyun Ho noted, only getting Sarang’s index finger in response and a ‘shhh’.

Take a Break is starting.” Was all said Sarang before counting along in French like in the song. Hyun Ho just sighed before making a U-turn and beginning his search for a trustworthy car dealership. The things he has to do and deal with as Sarang’s manager.


A/N This chapter is 2 pages shorter than usual and I had planned a bit more for Hyun Ho and Sarang towards the end but as I actually typed it, I realized that if I went with my original plan, the flow would be kind of weird. So I decided to just end it here and continue on next chapter. Anyways, yes, Sarang's Hamilton obsession is literally me. I have been in love since I was a senior in high school and I am currently a sophomore in college so for about, 2-3 years. My friends and family will tell you that I have cried over the same songs on numerous occasions and I do not get tired of listening to both the original soundtrack and the Hamilton Mixtape. I hope you all have a wonderful day/night/evening and comments make me extremely happy! I will try to have the next update up soon!