Chapter 18

As I Am

A/N Shoutout to HanInYoo and Cinamonroll for being some of the sweetest people ever! I can't express in words how grateful I am for you two! Y'all the real MVPs! Okay, on with the story!


Sanggyun woke up, feeling groggy and not in the mood to deal with the day. After last night’s bombshell, he just wanted to curl up under the covers and hug his son close to him.

Stacey was quick to inform Sanggyun about how she saw the news article with him, their son—Taeyang was quick to say ‘Sanggyun’s son’ when she said ‘our’—and Shin Sarang. She had been anything but happy that he was exposing Jiwoo to someone as trashy as her. Sanggyun had been too pissed to even stick up for Sarang and also aghast that she was thinking of taking Jiwoo with him.

You’re obviously doing a terrible job at raising him on your own. Look at the place you’re living in. It’s small and horrible for a child. He would be better with me.” Stacey said.

A terrible job?! I gave up the chance of going to college and having a normal life because you left as soon as Jiwoo was born. I can’t even have a decent relationship with my parents or Sohee and Donghan because my parents don’t want them seeing me. I am busting my working two jobs just to make sure I can give Jiwoo he wants. You don’t even know what his favorite food is because you’re not part of his life. So don’t think you can come here and try to ambush me and saying I’m doing a horrible job.” Sanggyun seethed, but also trying to keep his voice down so Jiwoo didn’t wake up.

And Sarang is not trashy.” Sanggyun bit out.

And I am giving you this chance to get that normalcy back and even get that relationship back with your family. It’s probably too late for your brother but oh well. Give me full custody of Jiwoo and we’ll be fine.” Stacy shrugged.

It’s not fair that you can see Goldewin everyday but we can’t.” Stacey’s sister, whose name Sanggyun couldn’t remember for the life of him, pouted.

And whose fault is that? Not mine. No, ask your sister. She ran away as soon as she was given the okay to leave the hospital and leaving me to raise Jiwoo.” Sanggyun hated Jiwoo’s English name and made sure to emphasize his Korean one, giving Stacey’s sister a pointed look.

Now, now everyone. Let’s all be calm and reasonable about this.” The stranger decided to speak up and try and play peacemaker. If anything, the quicker they all calmed down, the quicker him, Stacey, and Samantha could leave, in his eyes, the dinky apartment and go to their nice hotel where they can all go to sleep.

“I’m sorry, but who the is this?” Taeyang exclaimed, looking at Sanggyun for answers.

“I’m Harold. Nice to meet you.” ‘Harold’ answered in Korean. It was one of the six languages he was fluent in.

And who exactly are you, Harold?” Sanggyun asked in English.

I’m Stacey’s boyfriend. I’m sorry we have to meet this way but my snookum was upset over the articles coming out over you and that girl so here we are. But you have to understand where she is coming from. Her son was seen hanging out with a girl who’s reputation is questionable and she’s worried that you’re poisoning his mind by exposing him to such people.” Harold calmly explained but there was an air of superiority to him that Sanggyun and Taeyang didn’t like.

You don’t even know her yet you feel like you can judge her. Is that common with your kind?” Sanggyun scoffed. “Sarang is a good person and if anything, Jiwoo benefit from her being his life. She’s kind to him and treats him well. Probably knows more about him than you do, Stacey.” Sanggyun spat out.

And if you think you can take away my son, you’re wrong.” Stacey pursed her lips, annoyed already at this whole situation before sighing heavily.

I won’t take him away just yet. But we’re going to be here for a week and I want to see Goldewin every day that we are here. And if you try and fight me on this, then I will fight you in court and you will not win, Sanggyun. Kapeesh?” Sanggyun was silent for a moment before relenting.

Fine. You can see him while you’re here. But not right now. He’s asleep and I would like to be the same so leave.” Sanggyun ordered, moving off to the side so the path to the door wasn’t blocked. Him and Stacey had a brief stare down before Stacey informed her sister and boyfriend that they were leaving. It didn’t take long for the trio to exit the apartment and Taeyang made sure to slam the door behind them.

“Appa, why is mom here?” Jiwoo asked as Sanggyun got him ready for his outing.

“Your mom wanted to see you because she missed you.” Sanggyun simply said, making sure his hair was okay.

“No she didn’t. She’s here because she doesn’t like Sarang noona.” Jiwoo huffed, not happy that his dad lied.

“How do you know that?” Sanggyun asked, turning his son around as he got down to his level to look him in the eye.

“I heard you all last night. She called noona trashy.” Jiwoo pronounced the English word with a bit of a struggle but Sanggyun couldn’t help but feel proud at his son’s English. Of course Stacey made sure to talk to him in English during their calls and Sanggyun did try to practice English with him but anything Jiwoo accomplished made Sanggyun proud.

“I didn’t like it. Mom shouldn’t be mean to noona. Noona is nice and keeps her promises. Not like mom. And I don’t like my other name either. It’s yucky.” Jiwoo ranted. Sanggyun frowned, pulling his son into a hug.

“I’m sorry we woke you up, Jiwoo. And I’m sorry you have such a horrible English name. I don’t like it either.” Sanggyun sighed.

“I don’t want mom to take me away, appa. I don’t know that grandma and grandpa or that aunt and I don’t like Harold.”

“You don’t know the grandma and grandpa here either though.” Sanggyun pointed out.

“But I know the uncle here. And I know hyungs and noona and my friends from the park. I like it better here appa, with you.” Jiwoo simply said, trying hug his dad as tightly as he could with his small arms.

“Even if we don’t live in a house with a backyard?” Sanggyun wondered. He smiled when he felt Jiwoo nod his head.

“I like it here better because we have nice neighbors who give me treats and say hi to us and let me pet their dogs. And I can sleep in the same room as you. I don’t want to live anywhere else, appa. Please don’t let mom take me away.” Jiwoo ended up pleading and it took a lot for Sanggyun to not cry.

Sarang bit her lip as the voicemail message played again, informing her of another missed call.

“Hey, Sanggyun. It’s me. Again. I don’t know if you’ve gotten my other messages or texts but again, I just wanted to see how you and Jiwoo were doing. Uh, I hope everything is okay and your phone just broke or something. Call me back when you can. Bye.” Sarang cringed at how awkward and desperate she sounded and she merely dropped her phone on the kitchen counter before sliding down to floor, sitting in misery.

Could you get anymore lamer?” Sarang lifted her head, not caring about the hair that fell in her face as she glared at Rhythm. “It’s been five days. If he’s seen the hundreds of texts and messages by now, he’s probably scared off.

Shut up. It has not been hundreds.” Sarang huffed.

I’m pretty sure it’s in the hundreds or at least close to the hundreds. But seriously. It’s Thursday and you still haven’t heard anything from him? Why don’t you just drop him and move on? Forget about him.” Rhythm advised, heading to Sarang’s pantry to look through it for snacks.

“Sanggyun isn’t someone Sarang can forget.” Minsung said, just having entered Sarang’s apartment at the perfect time to hear everything. “They have history and he has an adorable kid who absolutely loves Sarang and who Sarang absolutely loves back.” He hopped up to sit on the kitchen counter, moving Sarang’s phone so he didn’t sit on it.

“All the more reason to run for the hills. Do you really want to date someone who has a kid? I mean, you’re only 19.” Rhythm said, opening a bag of chips that she has found.

“And Sanggyun was 16 when he had Jiwoo. Your point?” Sarang crossed her arms over her chest.

“My point is that what if things don’t work out between you two? He has a kid that has grown attached to you. Do you know how horrible that would be for him? Seriously Sarang, think about it. You two may be only a year apart but you’re at two totally different points in your lives. He’s a guy with a kid whose sole purpose is to provide for that kid. You’re a girl who literally just models and goes to clubs and has hookups. If this guy wants a girlfriend, he will need someone who’s ready to settle down. Are you ready to settle down?” Sarang was quiet for a moment before standing up.

“I just remembered I have to go see my dad. You guys can hang out here still. I don’t know when I’ll be back.” Sarang grabbed her phone and purse before leaving. Rhythm calling out “I only tell you this because I care about you, Sarang.”

Sarang drove for a while, trying to pass the time until she knew her dad would be home from the company because she wasn’t about to step foot into that building. She got tired of just driving though and decided to just head to the house and wait for her dad there. Sarang ended up falling asleep on the couch with her phone playing a Youtube video and woke up to Jiho throwing himself onto her.

“For crying out loud, Jiho! Can we not have another piece of furniture breaking to your roughhousing?!” Sungwoo exclaimed, entering the living room and seeing his daughter struggling to get her brother off of her.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were here. How have you been, Sarang?” Sungwoo went over and lifted his son with ease so Sarang could get up. She gave her dad a hug and roundhouse kicked her brother.

“I’m fine dad. Just wanted to see you, that’s all.” Sarang simply said. Sungwoo smiled at this but his smile fell a bit when he saw the sadness in his daughter’s eyes.

“If you don’t have any plans, you can stay for dinner. Dongsung should be here as well. You all always have a great time together.” Sungwoo said. Sarang nodded her head, saying that she would love to stay. Sungwoo gave her a kiss on the forehead before leaving his daughter and son in the living room. But not without instructing them to not wreck havoc.

Later on, the family of four plus Dongsung were sitting at the dining table for dinner. Sungwoo was talking quietly on his phone, occasionally looking at his three kids and Dongsung happily talking and playing around as they waited for their food to be served. He shook his head as they tossed around one of the cloth napkins, not even trying to be mindful of their glasses of water. Sungwoo would flinch a little every time he saw an elbow or arm get too close to a glass of water and prayed for their food to come out quicker.

“Dinner is served.” Sungwoo muttered a ‘Thank God.’ Before wishing the person on the other line a good rest of their evening and then hanging up.

Once the family finished eating, Sungwoo went to his office, Jiho following while Dongsung, Yooncheol, and Sarang went to the den.

“Oppa, how’s your eomma doing?” Sarang asked, picking up one of the cups of tea that one of the maids had just brought them.

“She’s doing better. Your dad is paying for her medical expanses so it’s making it less stressful.” Dongsung explained, very grateful for Sungwoo.

“Of course he would. Your eomma helped raised us when she was working here. Dad would’ve gone insane had it not been for him.” Yooncheol chuckled, grabbing a cookie from the plate on the coffee table.

“How’s everything going with that guy, Sarang? I saw the articles.” Dongsung wondered. Sarang merely shrugged, not sure what to say.

“Has he still not asked to talk to you?” Yooncheol questioned.

“He did but something came up and we had to reschedule. I haven’t heard from him since. Or Jiwoo.” Sarang sighed as she looked at her tea. “Do you think I should just drop him?” Sarang quietly asked.

“I think you should do what you feel is right.” Dongsung said. He didn’t know the full story but he knew that this guy and kid meant something to her and Sarang was very picky about who she cared for.

“Hyung is right. You know the situation the best, Sarang. You do what you feel is best. Just know that we’re here for you.” Yooncheol assured, putting a hand on his sister’s shoulder.

Later on when Sarang was in her old bedroom, getting ready to go to sleep, her phone went off. She picked up and saw that it was Sanggyun calling her and if anybody asked, she would’ve denied getting happy and excited as she answered the call.

“Hello? Sanggyun?”

“Noona!” Sarang couldn’t even be disappointed by the fact that Sanggyun hadn’t called, happy to be talking to Jiwoo.

“Jiwoo! How are you? Are you alright?” Sarang could just see Jiwoo nodding his head.

“I’m okay, noona! I just missed you. Appa hasn’t let me call you because my mom is here.” Jiwoo’s voice dropped to a whisper. “Appa doesn’t know I have his phone or that I’m calling you. You’ll come and see us soon, right? I miss you and appa misses you too. My mom leaves in a few days but I think she wants to take me away. Appa says he won’t let her but I don’t know if he can do anything. Could you help him if she does try to take me away, noona?” Sarang felt her heart drop when Jiwoo mentioned his mom and it dropped even more when he mentioned the fact of her taking him away.

“Of course I’ll help him, Jiwoo. No one is taking you away, I promise.”

“Thank you noona. Oh! I gotta go! Bye noona, I love you!” Before Sarang could respond, the line went dead. But she vowed to herself that she won’t let anything happen to Jiwoo or Sanggyun. Nothing was going to hurt them if she had a say in it.


A/N Hope you all enjoy the chapter! Please leave a comment, they make my day!