Chapter 11

As I Am

Sarang stepped out of the car when Hyun Ho pulled to a stop. She pushed her sunglasses down from the top of her head as she scanned the large lot with different styles of cars, the price painted on the windshield in bright, eye catching paint.

“Hello. How can I help you two today?” A guy who looked to be around Sarang’s age, probably a little older, approached them. Sarang glanced at his name tag to see this guy’s name was ‘Hyosang’.

“I’m looking for a car. A family friendly one. It has to be safe and reliable.” Sarang briefly explained.

“We have these cars over here. They’re popular with our customers that have a family or are planning to start a family. They’ve been rated in the top 10 of safest cars.” ‘Hyosang’ continued to go on about the cars and explaining different features.

“Hyosang! You’re supposed to be in the garage! What are you doing?!” The three looked towards the car dealership building where an older man—possibly in his 50s—and a man younger than him but older than Hyosang, were briskly walking to them.

“Uncle, none of the car salesmen were out. Literally none.” Hyosang explained, his tone mixed with bored and annoyed.

“You think the customers want to see you with your piercings and tattoos?! No! You’re not even dressed appropriately! You’re coveralls have oil stains on them!” The younger man scolded.

“Stay out of this, Jongsu.” Hyosang rolled his eyes.

“We’re standing right here.” Sarang interjected, arms crossed in front of her, her sunglasses hiding half of her face. The two newcomers quickly became flustered while Hyosang let out a heavy sigh.

“Our apologies! Jongsu will gladly assist you two. He is one of our best salesmen here.” The older man grinned.

“Hyosang was doing a fine job of showing us the cars. We’re fine with him finishing.” Hyun Ho added with an easy grin.

“Like your nephew said. None of your salesmen were on seen, Jongsu included. If anything, your nephew should be praised for going out of his way to help us. Don’t you think?” Sarang pushed her sunglasses up, earning gasps from the older man and Jongsu who began to bow repeatedly and deeply.

“Miss Sarang! Our deepest apologies! I will make sure my salesmen are on their toes from now on! Hyosang, finish showing them the cars! We will give you our greatest discount, Miss Sarang.” The older man apologized. When the two left, Hyosang turned to them.

“So, I assume you’re looking for a car for Friday?” Hyosang simply said. Sarang cocked an eyebrow.

“You knew it was me this whole time, didn’t you? And what do you know about Friday?”

“Sanggyun is a good friend of mine and Jiwoo is like my nephew. He told us everything and you’re all Jiwoo has been talking about these past few days.” Hyosang said, smiling a small smile at the thought of the happy little boy.

“Wait, Jiwoo is a child?” Hyun Ho questioned. “Yes, oppa. Jiwoo is a child.” Sarang simply said before questioning Hyun Ho about his ‘us’. “Us?”

“Sanggyun’s and Taeyang hyung’s small circle of friends. Literally, it’s just them and three more guys including me. Anyways, had it been any other customers, I would’ve stayed in the garage. But since Jiwoo and Sanggyun both mean a lot to me, I wanted to make sure you had the best car. And since I assume you’re shopping for Friday, I need to make sure Jiwoo is in the safest car we have to offer.” Hyosang explained before turning back to the vehicles.

“So, back to the cars...”

Friday came and Jiwoo was bouncing off the walls, 4 o’clock couldn’t come sooner. Sanggyun and Taeyang watched as the ball of energy happily skipped around the small apartment, singing at the top of his lungs.

“You would think it was Christmas morning or something.” Taeyang chuckled.

“I don’t Christmas can beat this.” Sanggyun added on.

After Sanggyun had gotten home from work on Sunday, he found that Sangdo had called Sangwon and Hyosang to come over. Jiwoo had been happily watching cartoons while his uncles and dad talked.

“Sanggyun, how do you know Shin Sarang?” Sangdo cut to the chase as soon as Sanggyun sat down with them.

“, you weren’t kidding, hyung?!” Sangwon exclaimed, earning a hit on his arm from Hyosang.

“Watch your mouth in front of Jiwoo.” Hyosang scolded.

“Hyung! You’ve said worse!” Sangwon insisted.

“But not in front of Jiwoo! Now let Sanggyun talk.”

And that’s how Sanggyun explained to his three friends about Sarang and how she’s taken to Jiwoo. He tried to explain the café meeting as best as he could but since he didn’t see it firsthand, he had to explain through how Jiwoo explained it to him which isn’t the best.

“Wait, the Shin Sarang that went to our school for a year and talked to literally no one and was the smartest person in our entire school, that Shin Sarang?” Sangwon wondered.

“That’s also the same Shin Sarang that is the daughter of the CEO of Shin Industries and a model.” Hyosang added.

“Isn’t she a complete snob or something?” Sangwon exclaimed.

“I was actually looking into her when I was waiting for you all to show up and I found some forums online about her.” Sangdo said, pulling out his phone so he can show them the forums. “And surprisingly, a lot of them were praising her because she is one of the few models that genuinely enjoys working with children. A lot of them were claiming to be parents of different child models and they said that other models would snap at their children or just ignore them completely but Sarang wasn’t like that.” Sangdo explained as he passed his phone to Sanggyun, the other two crowding around him to look as well.

“Miss Sarang isn’t at all like the public portrays her. She was respectful to me and the other parents on set and even helped the shier children feel comfortable with the cameras.” Sanggyun read a comment.

“Other models would get visibly annoyed when shoots were delayed because of the children but Miss Sarang took everything with ease and always put the children first.” Hyosang read another comment.

“Many models acted wonderful with the children when the cameras were on but turned into mean people when they were off. Miss Sarang wasn’t at all like that. She is such a kind person and I wished she showed that side of her more. Miss Sarang, fighting!” Sangwon read another.

“And the comments go on and on. A lot of them said they were extremely apprehensive when they would first hear that their child would be working with Sarang but that all changed once on set.” Sangdo said.

“Damn, I think you’ve hit the jackpot, Sanggyun.” Sangwon grinned, earning a punch to the arm.

Sanggyun’s friends still couldn’t believe that he knew Sarang but once Jiwoo figured out who they were talking about, he instantly joined the conversation to just say nothing but good things about her. He kept saying how she loved her and that she’s his favorite noona and that her friend, Minsung hyung, was super funny. Once Sanggyun’s friends left, Jiwoo didn’t stop talking about Sarang though. Sanggyun found it adorable though.

“Appa, is it 4 o’clock yet?” Jiwoo asked.

“No, it’s not even 11 yet.” Sanggyun chuckled. Jiwoo merely pouted and plopped down in front of the television. The little boy looked at the clock on the wall and glared at it for going so slow.

Later on that day, Sarang sat in a styling chair, annoyed and angry. Her last schedule of the day and everything was going wrong. She looked at her wrist watch and saw it was going on 3.

“Are you ing kidding me?” She hissed. “Oppa, go tell them to hurry up. I don’t have time for this.” Sarang snapped. Hyun Ho left the room to do just that. He didn’t mind getting mean when he needed to and he knew how important today was for Sarang. She had explained everything to him after they purchased the car. And by everything, she literally explained her very first encounter with Sanggyun at her father’s mall, to her first year of high school, to her first time meeting Jiwoo in her favorite café followed by her other two meetings with Sanggyun.

“If this isn’t fixed in the next five minutes, Shin Sarang is leaving. She has an important meeting and cannot be late.” Hyun Ho snapped at the person in charge who merely nodded their head, promising to have the issue fixed.

They managed to have it fixed in four minutes and quickly got to work, Sarang making sure to not mess up and snapping at whoever did mess up. They finally finished at 3:50 and instead of going to the dressing room to take off her makeup and change, she sprinted off set with Hyun Ho behind her. Hyun Ho yelled out that they would send the clothes used back in a few days.

Sarang tried to text Sanggyun to let him know that she was running late but found her phone dying before she could even unlock her phone.

“Are you ting me?!” Sarang exclaimed.

“Don’t worry about that right now, Sarang. Just get dressed in the back and I’ll drive you myself.” Hyun Ho insisted, pushing Sarang to get in the back of the car instead of the front before getting in the driver’s seat. “Give me your phone so I can charge it.” Hyun Ho demanded as he started the car. He swiftly caught the phone that was tossed at him, plugging it into the car charger before driving off.

Sanggyun watched at the clock struck 5:30 and still no word from Sarang. He tried to text Sarang, wondering where she was but there had been no response. When he called, he was taken straight to voicemail.

“Still no word?” Taeyang asked. Sanggyun sighed as he shook his head.

“Are you sure you’re dialing the right number?” Taeyang wondered.

“Yes, hyung.”

“Appa, is noona here yet?” Jiwoo asked hopefully.

“No baby. Not yet. Go watch TV, okay.” Jiwoo dejectedly nodded his head before dragging his feet to the television and sitting down in front of it, his shoulders hunched.

“Are you sure you gave her our address?”

“Yes, hyung! For the last time, I’m sure I’m dialing the number. I’m sure I gave her the address. And I’m sure that we agreed on today at 4 but it’s already 5:40 and I have no word.” Sanggyun snapped before sighing heavily.

“I’m sorry, hyung. I’m just, frustrated. I trusted her, my son trusted her, and now I have a heart broken four year old.” Taeyang merely patted his shoulder, comforting him. He was about to offer some advice when the doorbell rang.

“Noona?” Jiwoo could be heard saying. Sanggyun and Taeyang both got up to answer the door while Jiwoo excitedly squirmed. He let out a loud cheer when they opened the door and saw Sarang there.

“Noona! I knew you would come! I just knew it!” Jiwoo launched himself at her and Sarang caught him with ease.

“I’m so sorry I’m late Jiwoo. I tried my best to get here on time.” Sanggyun and Taeyang could both hear the sincerity in her voice.

“It’s okay, noona.” Jiwoo said.

“No, sweetie. It’s not okay. I told you a certain time and I should’ve been here on time.” Jiwoo merely grinned and gave Sarang a kiss on the cheek, happy when he saw a small smile form on her face.

“I forgive you, noona! Just come on time next time!” Jiwoo happily said.

“Jiwoo, let’s let Sarang come in so you can get your shoes on.” Taeyang said, taking the little boy from Sarang and smiling at said girl. “Nice to see you again, Sarang. Please, come in.” Taeyang moved aside so Sarang could step inside their apartment.

When Taeyang excused himself with Jiwoo, Sanggyun finally noticed how disheveled Sarang was. She rubbed one of her arms, her other hand held a purse and sneakers. Sarang was barefoot, her hair a mess, and she had a bruise forming just above her left eyebrow.

“What the hell happened?”