Chapter 13

As I Am

The next morning, Sarang woke up to Minsung loudly entering her house and demanding why she didn’t answer her phone. Sarang merely sat up in bed and waited until Minsung barged into her room and plopped down onto her bed before answering.

“I got it wet last night and it died. Come with me to get a new one and I’ll treat you to breakfast.” Sarang said, yawning at the end before getting up so she could get ready for the day.

“What the hell happened to your forehead?!” Minsung was ignored as Sarang walked into the restroom.

After Sarang was showered and dressed and got ready for the day, the duo left her apartment and got into her car before heading to the nearest Samsung store. Once Sarang got her phone set up, she drove herself and Minsung to her favorite café for breakfast.

“So, how did you ruin your phone and how did you get the bruise above your eyebrow?” Minsung asked as the two waited in line so they could order.

“I was running late to see Jiwoo yesterday and in my haste, spilled water all over my phone. And I hit my head in Hyun Ho oppa’s car.” Sarang explained.

“Oh that’s right! Your day with Jiwoo was yesterday! How did it go?” Minsung wondered, getting a bright smile on his face as he remembered the adorable little boy.

“Aside from being almost two hours late, it was fine. Sunba-I mean Sanggyun, joined us and we went to dinner after the movie and then I took a cab back to my apartment. Nothing special.” Sarang nonchalantly replied but the glint in her eye told Minsung another story.

“You are telling me everything later.” Minsung made her promise which Sarang obviously agreed. It was finally their turn to order and before Sarang could order for them, Minsung let out a happy exclamation at the sight of the guy behind the cashier.

“Hojoon hyung!” Recognition flashed across the cashier’s eyes and he was grinning wide.

“Minsung! Long time no see! How are you doing?” Hojoon happily asked.

“I’ve been okay. Busy. And you! I didn’t know you worked here! Sarang comes here like all the time!” Hojoon chuckled, nodding her head.

“I recognize her. Nice to finally meet you, regular.” Hojoon gave her a pleasant smile while Sarang’s smile was quick and tight.

“Sarang, place the order. I’m hungry.” Minsung insisted. Sarang was quick to place their orders and paying.

“I’ll have that out soon. It was nice seeing you, Minsung! We should hang out sometime.” Hojoon insisted.

“Of course! You still have my number, right?” Hojoon nodded his head and waved to the two as they left to get a table.

“So that’s the hyung you told me about?” Sarang questioned. Minsung smiled and nodded his head.

“Yep!” The two talked for a bit more before going on their phones. Sarang was busy setting hers up to her liking while Minsung checked the news. He stopped though when he found a headline about Sarang.

“Did Shin Sarang secretly have a child?” The headline read. Minsung wanted to laugh at the audacity of it. He clicked on the article anyways and read the speculations of Sarang’s relationship with Jiwoo and Sanggyun. He also saw pictures of Sarang running on the sidewalk barefoot and getting on a motorcycle. A few other pictures were from ‘the date’ where Sarang was dressed in a regular t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Her hair had been pulled back into a messy bun and the only makeup on her face had been her eyebrows. It had been the less put together that Minsung has seen Sarang go out in public. But it all seemed to scream ‘secret mother’ to the public. There even was a picture of Sarang and Sanggyun standing by a cab with a sleeping Jiwoo in Sanggyun’s arms and Sarang kissing Jiwoo’s hand.

“Your grandmother is going to freak the hell out with this article.” Minsung laughed as he handed the phone to Sarang so she could see. She was in the middle of sending Sanggyun a text, telling him not to worry about her phone that was still at his place when she looked at Minsung’s screen.

“I’m surprised she hasn’t contacted me about this.” Sarang simply said before getting up to retrieve their order. When she got back, the two dug in to their breakfast. Minsung went on to explain how he was almost ready for the upcoming fashion show and was excited for the public to see his designs. Sarang talked about how she bumped into Byungjoo who invited them to his upcoming dance performance. When they finished their food, they still had their drinks so they stayed at their table, talking and relaxing until Sarang’s phone began to rang.

“Well would you look at that, she finally calls.” Sarang showed Minsung who was calling before answering.

“What is it, Aera?”

“Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, drop it and get over here now!” Aera snapped.

“Whatever is the matter, Aera?” Sarang asked with fake concern.

“I don’t have time for your games! Just get over-“ Sarang hung up and slipped her phone into her purse. “The witch summons me.” Minsung chuckled before getting up and getting their trash.

“I’m going to call Byungjoo and see if he isn’t busy and wants to hang out. If you don’t get locked up forever after, text me so you can tell me everything about yesterday.” The two hugged when they got outside the café before going their separate ways.

Sarang ignored the incessant buzzing of her phone as she drove to her father’s company to deal with Aera. Once there, she parked in her designated spot and made her way inside, taking the elevator to get to the floor Aera’s office was on. Sarang ignored all the workers and merely walked in to the office.

“What the hell is this? Did you have a secret child, Sarang? Are you turning into your father?!” Were the first things out of Aera’s mouth before Sarang even closed the door behind her.

“I thought my brothers and I weren’t our father’s children in your eyes?” Sarang mockingly asked.

“Cut the bull. Who is this boy and man and why are there pictures of you with them?!”

“Who I meet is none of your business. Now, if that’s all you wanted to know, I’ll be leaving.” Sarang turned around to leave but stopped in her tracks with Aera’s next words.

“You better hope I don’t find out who they are or I will destroy their lives.” Aera threatened. She jumped back slightly in her chair when Sarang quickly stormed over to her desk, practically towering over her.

“You touch them and it will be the last thing you do.” Sarang seethed.

“I still have power, Sarang. Remember what almost happened to you and your brothers? Don’t think that all was an accident. Now run along and try and make my life easier.” Aera pushed a button on her desk and in no time, two men came in and forced a frozen with fear Sarang out of the office and in to the elevator. It was there that Sarang shakily forced herself to get it together before arriving to the lobby of the building. She walked with her head held high, acting like nothing was wrong until she was safely in her car, hidden from the outside world. Sarang rested her head on her steering wheel, taking deep breaths and trying to calm down and not let Aera instill fear into her.

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away and in another country, Stacy Tune sat poolside as she received a foot massage, relaxing under the sun. It had been a rather stressful week of university and sitting in work meetings with her father for his company and it was just nice to be able to relax and unwind.

Stacy! Oh my goodness, there you are! I have been looking all over for you! Oh you poor thing!” Stacy groaned at the sound of her little sister’s voice. She was just as dramatic and over the top as their mother.

Could you get anymore louder, Samantha?” Stacy snapped, sitting up and angrily taking her sunglasses off. “Now what do you want?” Stacy calmly asked once Samantha was right next to the lounge chair she was sitting on. Samantha fell back onto the lounge chair next to her, hand to her forehead as she held out a tablet to Stacy.

It’s the worse thing that could happen! You must be feeling horrible! I can only imagine how upset you are!” Samantha bemoaned and it was taking a lot for Stacy to just not hit her but she was raised better than that.

Would you stop for just a second and explain to me what has you so worked up?” Stacy asked as she rubbed her temples. The foot masseuse had stopped when Stacy sat up but once she saw Stacy wave her hand in her direction, she began the massage again.

Look!” Samantha shoved the tablet at her before throwing herself back onto the lounge chair and continued to moan and cry about how horrible and embarrassing it was.

Stacy rolled her eyes before turning her attention to the tablet to see what had her sister so upset only to take a sharp intake of breath at the article.

That wretched girl who dared to challenge you over grades is trying to take your son and man! You must be feeling so horrible!” Samantha cried. Now Stacy understood why she was so upset. Samantha had been the first person Stacy told that she was pregnant. Samantha had been so happy about the news, excited to be an aunt and thinking that Stacy and Sanggyun would be the epitome of ‘family goals’. Samantha was the ditz of the Tune family so she didn’t understand why the news was so upsetting when Stacy told their parents. She also couldn’t understand why Stacy couldn’t stay in South Korea and raise Goldewin—Jiwoo’s English name—with Sanggyun. Their parents hardly acknowledged Sanggyun’s or Jiwoo’s existence or that Jiwoo was their grandson. Stacy didn’t talk much about them either except for when Taeyang makes her angry and she needs to rant to Samantha afterwards but other than that, the most Samantha has seen her sister do for her son and the father of her son was send them a check every month and Skype calls that happen once a month also. She always hoped that one day, Stacy and Sanggyun could have a proper family together though but Sarang’s appearance made her start to lose hope even though Stacy has been seeing someone for the past three years, Sarang made her lose hope.

He is not my man, Samantha. Who he sees is his business. And remember, I have a boyfriend of my own.” Stacy forced out. Sure, she had no feelings for Sanggyun—she always regrets what happened—but her rivalry with Sarang made her upset and seeing pictures of her with Jiwoo and Sanggyun began to enrage her.

Samantha, hand me my phone. I have some plans to cancel.