Chapter 3

As I Am

Minsung busied himself in the kitchen, working on making something kid friendly for Jiwoo incase he was hungry. He was so busy, he almost didn’t hear his front door opening. Jiwoo became his personal alarm.

“Noona!” Minsung almost dropped his spoon onto the floor he got so startled.

“Noona?” Minsung went out of the kitchen and to the front entrance where he saw Sarang taking off her shoes and Jiwoo watching her intently. “Sarang, what are-“ Sarang looked up and Minsung merely tsked.

“Aigoo, another fight.” Sarang rolled her eyes and took Jiwoo’s hand. Jiwoo continued to look up at Sarang as she led him to the kitchen where Minsung was taking her.

“Noona, why do you look like that?” Jiwoo wondered, allowing Sarang to lift him up and sit him on the counter.

“I got in a fight, something that you should never do. Noona was just being stupid.” Sarang told Jiwoo, trying to push away Minsung’s hand. He was trying to clean her wounds with a paper towel.

“I will hurt you if you don’t stop. Jiwoo, tell her to let me clean her wounds.” Jiwoo did as he was told and Sarang simply complied. How could she not when Jiwoo used puppy eyes.

“Aish, I need my first aid kit.” Minsung grumbled when the bleeding wouldn’t stop. He grabbed Sarang’s hand after Sarang helped Jiwoo off the counter and then the three were going up the stairs to Minsung’s room.

“When did the fight happen?” Minsung wondered.

“Last night.” Sarang simply answered, having Jiwoo walk in front of her on the stairs. Minsung stopped and turned abruptly, causing Jiwoo to bump into him and stumble back but Sarang quickly steadied the little boy.

“Last night?! You’ve had these wounds since last night?! Are you stupid?!” Minsung screeched. Jiwoo quickly covered his ears, surprised that his hyung could sound like that.

“Yes, now shut up before you break the windows. Didn’t you say something about a first aid kit?” Sarang urged Jiwoo to keep walking, passing by Minsung and leaving him to walk behind them.

The entire time, Minsung continued to scold Sarang even when they got to Minsung’s room. Sarang decided to tune out Minsung while he scolded her, taking to ask Jiwoo how he’s been since she last saw him. Minsung was even scolding Sarang as he grabbed the first aid kit from the bathroom that Taeyang and Sanggyun were still working.

“Aish, this girl is going to be the death of me. Getting in fights, running away to foreign countries unannounced, sleeping around. Brat is the reason I’m getting crow’s feet.” Minsung grumbled, more to himself than anything but it still confused Taeyang and Sanggyun.

“Aigoo, she needs a boyfriend or something.” Minsung turned to Taeyang and Sanggyun. “Do either of you want a girlfriend?”

“Uh…” Taeyang and Sanggyun exchanged looks. Were they being punk’d, they both wondered.

“Never mind, she might be too much for either of you.” Minsung took the first aid kit and left the bathroom.

Minsung got to work, properly cleaning the wounds and getting band aids in place after making sure the none of the cuts would need stitches.

“Yah! I’ll look like an idiot with the band aids on my face!” Sarang exclaimed when she saw Minsung get the band aids out.

“You should’ve thought of that before you got in a fight.” Minsung snapped back. Jiwoo watched their exchange intently, like he was at a tennis match.

“You’re not my mom.” Sarang pouted.

“You better be glad I’m not or I would’ve beat you a long time ago.” Minsung threatened. “As if I’d have a daughter like you that gives me gray hairs.” Minsung muttered as he put the band aids.

“Hyung, noona, don’t fight.” Jiwoo begged. Minsung and Sarang shared a grin.

“We’re not fighting. This is just how we talk to each other. We wouldn’t have to though if this punk didn’t do so much bad things! You might give your grandmother a heart attack.” Minsung reprimanded.

“You think this would?” Sarang couldn’t hide the hope in her voice. Her and her grandmother didn’t get along. Minsung merely smacked Sarang on the shoulder.

Once Sarang was taken care of, the three went back downstairs so Minsung could finish whipping up a snack for Jiwoo. Sarang sat with Jiwoo in the living room and showed Jiwoo a video of the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious song from Mary Poppins on Minsung’s smart TV.

“Waaaah! Noona, I like this song!” Jiwoo had exclaimed when the video ended. It led to a marathon of Mary Poppins songs and clips from the movie that didn’t end until Taeyang and Sanggyun came down the stairs.

“Minsung, your shower head is fixed. If you have any more problems, just give us a call.” Taeyang bowed to Minsung. Minsung bowed to both Taeyang and Sanggyun, thanking them for their work. Neither Taeyang or Sanggyun noticed Jiwoo or Sarang.

“Jiwoo, let’s-“ Sanggyun cut himself off when he saw the Shin Sarang sitting comfortably with his son on the couch and how Sarang explained the video that the two were watching. It defied everything that he knew about Sarang. She’s portrayed as a troublemaker, a diva, a spoiled brat in every news outlet in South Korea. She’s been known to ruin someone’s life just by using her father’s name and to blow up at someone for slightly bumping her. So, how could his son be sitting next to her, talking like they were best friends?

“Oh, is this your dad, Jiwoo?” Sarang finally noticed Sanggyun and Taeyang. Taeyang was talking with Minsung but Sanggyun stood there, blatantly staring at her.

“Appa, you said staring is rude.” Jiwoo chided. Sanggyun snapped out of his little trance and blushed instantly. It didn’t help that he went to the same school as Sarang and remembered her. He used to think she was beautiful but was always scared to approach her. She ended up leaving high school the same year he became a teen dad to study abroad so this is the first time in four years that he’s seen her in person.

“Oh, you look familiar.” Sarang noted, standing up. Sanggyun also took notice of the cuts on her face—she removed the band aids when Minsung wasn’t looking—and wondered how she could still look like she came out of a magazine. He ended up scolding himself. ‘Stacey, Stacey. Remember Stacey.’ He chanted in his mind.

“We went to the same high school. I was a year above you.” Sanggyun sheepishly said.

“Noona, you went to my appa’s school? Did you know my eomma too?” Jiwoo wondered.

“What’s your eomma’s name?” Sarang wondered, affectionately running her hands through Jiwoo’s hair, trying to keep his hair off his face. Sanggyun remembered to go and take Jiwoo for a hair cut.

“Stacey Tune.” Jiwoo said.

“No, I don’t think so. I remember your appa though. He had really bright red hair. It was long too.” Sanggyun couldn’t help but smile at the fact that Sarang remembered him.

“Were you two friends?” Jiwoo asked.

“No, Jiwoo, we weren’t friends. I didn’t have a lot of friends or talk to a lot of people.” Sarang admitted.

“Why not, noona? You’re so cool!” Jiwoo couldn’t believe his ears. His noona didn’t have a lot of friends and he just couldn’t believe it. His appa has lots of friends so he just assumed everyone had friends.

“I was really shy.” Sarang grinned. Sanggyun couldn’t believe it either. He remembered Sarang as very quiet with a cold demeanor at school and everyone thought that she was arrogant. He thought the same thing too, but still found her to be beautiful.

“It’s okay noona, you and appa could be friends now.” Jiwoo grinned, wrapping his arms around Sarang in a hug. Sarang merely smiled and returned the hug. She was going to respond to that comment but her phone began to ring. Sarang kept one arm around Jiwoo while she fished her phone from her pocket only to groan when she saw who was calling.

“It’s your grandmother, isn’t it.” Sarang declined the call but began to collect her things anyways, ignoring Minsung.

“Tch, guess she’s still around.” Minsung sniggered, earning a smack from Sarang.

“You need to go, noona?” Jiwoo pouted.

“Yes, I need to go. My grandma needs to talk to me.” Sarang ruffled Jiwoo’s hair. Jiwoo gave her one more hug, Sarang returning it.

“Bye noona!”

“Bye Jiwoo, be good, okay.” Jiwoo nodded his head.

“It was nice seeing you, Sanggyun sunbaenim. You have a beautiful son.” Sanggyun ducked his head at the compliment.

“Thank you. It was nice seeing you too, Shin Sarang.” Sarang smiled a small, almost non existent smile before walking past them, Minsung walking her out. He still needed to pay Taeyang but he was going to make his hyung pay.

“I’ll text you later. I need to tell you something that happened a few days ago.” Minsung told Sarang before she left.

Sarang got down to her car, letting out a groan when she sat behind the wheel. She took a deep breath, readying herself to face her grandmother and also trying to calm her heart after seeing Sanggyun. Sarang remembered him the most from her few years at a Korean high school. He was the sole reason she went to a public high school and even stayed in South Korea for a year longer than usual.

Sarang first met Sanggyun her last year of middle school. She had ran away from her grandmother when they went shopping. Sarang was more of a tomboy when she was younger and her grandmother took it upon herself to try and make Sarang more feminine, starting with her then attire that consisted of jeans, basketball shorts, and t-shirts. Sarang would also pull her hair back into a ponytail everyday since she hadn’t been allowed to cut it. While Sarang had been exploring the mall, she came across a group of high school kids in a uniform different from the one her brothers wore. The uniforms looked simple and some of them had a blazer tied around their waist but the blazer was ratty looking in her opinion. Ratty compared to her brothers’ custom made blazers with their names embroidered on.

“Yah, kid, what are you looking at?” An older boy called out to her. Sarang scrunched her face up in disgust. Didn’t they know who she was? Why were they talking so informally to her? Her father owned this mall and she could have them kicked out and banned.

“Do you have a problem with us?” One of the girls in the group yelled out. Sarang was a bit taken back by how abrasive the girl was.

“I think this kid wants to fight.” Another girl sniggered, taking some threatening steps towards Sarang. Sarang took some steps back, not expecting that when another boy from the group stepped up.

“Yah, leave her alone.” The boy then approached Sarang who was frozen in place. “Are you lost?” Sarang merely nodded her head even though she knew all her dad’s malls like the back of her hand.

“Do you want me to help you find your parents?” Sarang nodded her head again even though she had only gone with her grandmother and she wasn’t in a hurry to be with her grandmother again. The boy smiled and Sarang swore she heard angels singing.

“Okay, let’s go. Meet me at the food court.” He called back to the group before putting an arm around Sarang and leading her away from them.

“I’m Kim Sanggyun, what’s your name?” Sarang was still awestruck by the boy that she couldn’t speak.

“Are you shy? That’s okay, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to but you at least have to point in the direction that you last saw your parents. Can you do that?” Sanggyun grinned, earning a slow nod of her head from Sarang.

The entire time, Sanggyun told Sarang about himself, his friends, the school he goes to, what his parents does for work, his hyung, rapping, everything. And Sarang had never listened so closely in her life. She usually tuned people out when they talked about themselves but Sarang couldn’t do that with Sanggyun. She listened to every detail and memorized it as if it was going to be on a test. Every now and then, Sanggyun would ask Sarang if they were going in the right direction and Sarang would nod. It wasn’t until they went into the store Sarang had ran away from was when Sarang finally spoke.

“My grandmother is over there.” Sarang quietly said, gesturing to where her grandmother stood, speaking with a sales woman.

“Oh, okay. It was nice talking to you. Don’t run away any more, okay?” Sarang nodded her head before thanking Sanggyun. She watched Sanggyun walk away before going back to her grandmother. After a lecture—that Sarang didn’t pay attention to—Sarang told her grandmother that she wanted to change her style. It was the first and last time Sarang and her grandmother were in the same room without bickering.

Sarang later told her dad that she didn’t want to go to her brother’s high school and instead the public high school Sanggyun went to. No one knew the real reason since Sarang said it would be good for her to see how the middle class and more poorer students lived for a better business approach. Her dad soaked it up and was quick to enroll her. She was only there for a year though because the heart ache was too much to deal with. Sarang dealt with it by running away and taking her grandmother’s offer on sending her abroad to study. She didn’t expect to come back and run into Sanggyun again or to meet his son.