Chapter 12

As I Am

Double update...sort of. Read chapter 11 if you haven't yet!


Sarang struggled to change into her jeans and t-shirt that she had packed to change into after her last shoot but it’s kind of difficult to change when you’re in the cramped back seat of a car.

“Whose smart idea was it to use leather clothes?!” Sarang huffed as she finally pulled off the skin tight shirt from underneath her loose t-shirt.

“I don’t know.” Hyun Ho simply answered.

Sarang was about to take off the heels so she could put the jeans on under the skirt and remove the skirt without flashing anybody when Hyun Ho slammed on the brakes, causing Sarang to fall forward and slam her forehead on the middle compartment between the two front seats.

“Sarang, are you okay?! Why the hell were you not wearing a seatbelt?!” Hyun Ho worriedly asked. Sarang merely groaned, trying to get herself oriented before again attempting to take off the heels.

“What happened?” Sarang wondered when she noticed that they weren’t moving.

“Traffic jam.” Hyun Ho sighed.

“Are you kidding me?! It’s already 4:15!” Sarang snapped, kicking off the heels and now trying to put in her jeans, the skirt making it more difficult.

“I know, I know! But what do you expect me to do?! Just hurry up and get dressed so you can put a damn seatbelt on.” Hyun Ho ordered, inching the car forward when allowed to.

Sarang finally managed to get the dreaded skirt off, also taking off the accessories used in during the photo-shoot. She climbed over the divider that she crashed into earlier and plopped down in the front seat, putting on her seatbelt and pulling down the visor that had a mirror so she could inspect the damage done.

“, I might be bruising.” Sarang tenderly touched the spot above her left eyebrow—it had been the part the made the most contact—flinching at the pain.

“There’s some stuff in the glove compartment that you can use to wipe off all the makeup.” Hyun Ho exclaimed, grinning when he saw that the cars were moving at a steady pace now.

Before Sarang wiped off her makeup, she decided to drink some water. As she was opening the water bottle, a car suddenly swerved into their lane in front of them and Hyun Ho slammed on the breaks again. Sarang squeezed the water bottle in shock but it caused water to go everywhere, mainly on her charging phone that had powered on finally but it glitched before shutting off completely. Sarang let out a string of curses along with Hyun Ho who was cursing for a completely different reason. She tried to turn her phone on with no avail.

“I swear I’m fighting someone!” Sarang screamed, chucking her phone down before yanking open the glove compartment so she can scrub off her makeup. She would hiss each time she touched the spot about her eyebrow.

“Great, that’s just great. The ing traffic decided to slow down again. This is ing great, people!” Hyun Ho honked the horn a few times to show his annoyance.

“Great. It’s already going on 5 and Sanggyun probably hates me and Jiwoo is more than likely sad thinking I forgot about today. This just fantastic.” Sarang said through gritted teeth. “And would you look at that! I am getting a bruise! Could this day get any better?!” Sarang snapped as she slammed the glove compartment closed, all the heavy makeup from the photo-shoot off her face.

Sarang noticed where they were, remembering the address the Sanggyun had given her and also remembering where her and Minsung dropped him off after the party.

“Oppa, I’ll walk from here!” Sarang said before taking off her seatbelt and opening the door.

“What?” Hyun Ho exclaimed, turning around and watching as Sarang opened the trunk, getting out her purse and sneakers before slamming the trunk close.

“Hand me my phone!” Sarang said, sticking her hand through the open window, ignoring the honks of the cars behind them since the cars in front were already moving. But Hyun Ho couldn’t exactly move with Sarang still so close to the car so he quickly handed her the water damaged phone.

“I’ll see you later, oppa!” Sarang yelled before stuffing her phone into her purse and sprinting away.

“How the hell are you going to get to the movies?!” Hyun Ho yelled after her, only to be ignored and instead receive angry honks in reply. He gave a quick honk back before moving forward.

Sarang ran as fast as she could, not really caring about how she looked right now. She would’ve put her sneakers on but she didn’t feel like wasting time searching through her purse to find her pair of socks. She would’ve tried to flag down a taxi but with how traffic was, it would take her forever to get to Sanggyun’s. Sarang was ready to run the few blocks she had until she was at his apartment. That was until she heard the familiar sound of a motorcycle easily maneuvering it’s away through the traffic jam of cars. Sarang quickly moved into the street, waving down the motorcyclist.

“Can you give me a ride somewhere? I’ll pay you.” Sarang quickly said.

“Sure. Where to?” The girl cyclist said from behind her helmet, moving forward so Sarang could get on. Sarang relayed the directions to her before holding on tightly when the motorcycle began moving. When they were at a stop light, Sarang looked at her watch and saw the it was already 5:30. She let out another curse just as the light turned green.

It felt like an eternity before they arrived to the familiar apartment. Sarang hurried to get off the motorcycle but also getting her wallet out at the same time. She grabbed whatever bills she had, it ranged from 5,000-50,000 won and just handed it to the cyclist.

“I hope this is enough for gas! Thank you!” Sarang ran into the apartment building. The cyclist looked at the money in her hand and gaped. It was more than enough for gas and could probably pay her rent and get her groceries for the following month.

“There is such thing as angels.” The cyclist grinned before riding away.

Sarang had to stop someone coming down the stairs to ask about Sanggyun’s apartment before sprinting up the two flights of stairs. She stopped in front of the door, trying to catch her breath and fix her appearance a bit. She used her phone screen as a mirror and gasped in horror at the state her hair was in. The cyclist didn’t have a spare helmet so Sarang’s hair was left to whip around behind her. It had been done in curls for the photo-shoot but it was now a tangled mess. Nothing she did helped tame it and one look at her watch showed that it was already going on 5:50. So she it up and rang the doorbell.

Sanggyun had made Sarang sit down while she told him of her struggle trying to get to his apartment on time. Sanggyun had her give him her phone and he placed it in a bowl of uncooked rice while she slipped on her socks and looked around in her purse for a hair tie and an eyebrow pencil and mirror.

“I’m pretty sure I gave the cyclist enough for gas for a whole year.” Sarang lightly chuckled, remembering how much cash she had. It was nothing though compared to what she had on her cards.

“Yeah, you probably made her day. Thanks again for showing up. I know it means a lot to Jiwoo.” Sanggyun grinned a small grin, placing a glass of water down in front of Sarang before sitting across from her.

“It’s no big deal. I’ve been in Jiwoo’s shoes before. I know what it feels like to wait for someone and have them not follow through in the end. It and I don’t want Jiwoo feeling that, not if I can help it.” Sarang’s smile was small and sad and Sanggyun wanted to say something, do something, to change that but Jiwoo and Taeyang came in at that moment.

“Noona! I’m ready!” Jiwoo happily cheered. Sarang’s smile went from small and sad to big and bright.

“Are you? Okay, we should probably go then. Would you two like to join us?” Sarang turned to Taeyang and Sanggyun.

“Yeah, uncle and appa! Come with us!” Jiwoo happily cheered.

“I’m on call tonight, Jiwoo. So I can’t go.” Taeyang apologetically explained.

“What about you, sunbaenim? Would you like to come with us?” Sarang wondered. Sanggyun was hesitant about going but one look at his son’s puppy dog eyes and the bit of hopefulness that he thought he saw in Sarang’s and he couldn’t say no.

“Sure. Just let met grab my wallet and we’ll go.” Sanggyun grinned at Jiwoo’s cheer and Sarang’s smile. Taeyang followed his brother, making sure Sarang couldn’t hear him before speaking.

“Is it just me or does my little brother have a crush on Sarang?” Sanggyun rolled his eyes as he stuffed his wallet in his pocket.

“Ha-ha, hyung. I’m surprised you aren’t saying anything about her being nearly two hours late.”

“I had a gut feeling that something came up. She really seems like a nice girl, Sanggyun. Give her a chance. I know you want to just focus on Jiwoo and I respect that but Sarang seems like she genuinely cares about you and Jiwoo.” Taeyang said.

“That’s a nice thought, hyung but it won’t work out between us. Now if you’ll excuse me.” Sanggyun walked around Taeyang and towards the front door where Sarang and Jiwoo waited.

“Got your shoes on?” Sanggyun asked Sarang who merely scoffed but the grin playing at her lips told him that she wasn’t offended.

“Let’s go, guys! We need to see Mary Poppins!” Jiwoo grabbed onto both their hands.

“Okay, okay. Hold your horses, Ji.” Sanggyun held the door open for Sarang who allowed Jiwoo to pull her out the apartment.

“Bye, uncle!” Jiwoo called out.

“Bye, hyung!” Sanggyun called out followed by Sarang’s simple ‘bye.’

The three walked out the apartment building and Sarang lead the way.

“I was supposed to have a car but…” Sarang trailed off and Sanggyun could sense her embarrassment and disappointment.

“No worries! Walking is fun, huh Jiwoo.” Sanggyun grinned down at his son who grinned up at him.

“Yep! And we can spend more time together, noona!” Sarang couldn’t help the relieved smile that appeared on her face and Sanggyun finally took notice of how kind her eyes looked. There wasn’t any trace of Shin Sarang, the princess of South Korea. Instead it was just Sarang, the girl that captured his son’s heart.

The three ended up waving down a taxi and took that to the movie theatre that was showing Mary Poppins. Jiwoo happily danced as Sarang paid for three tickets. He was so excited that he insisted on skipping the snack bar so they could go and find the best seats before someone took them. Jiwoo was buzzing in the seat during the previews and let out a happy cheer when the movie started. Sanggyun ended up not watching the movie but instead watching his son and Sarang watch the movie. He’d grin at every reaction they had over the movie and he felt his heart swell when Jiwoo and Sarang sang the songs together. They didn’t have to worry about being loud since they were the only ones in the theatre so they sang to their hearts’ content.

After the movie, Jiwoo voiced his hunger.

“I know a really good spicy rice cake restaurant nearby.” Sanggyun said. “My treat.” He added on with a smile.

“No, I can pay. This entire day was my idea.” Sarang insisted.

“Sarang, you’ve done enough. Let me pay, please?” Sanggyun pouted and Sarang saw where Jiwoo got it from. She hesitated before finally relenting and giving Sanggyun the okay to pay.

“C’mon, Jiwoo. We’re going to go to your favorite restaurant.” Sanggyun grinned, scooping up his son who cheered, knowing immediately what restaurant they were going to.

“This is the best day ever!” Jiwoo happily exclaimed, holding a hand out to Sarang so she could hold it even though his dad was carrying him.

The trio headed to the nearby restaurant and Sanggyun lead the way to their favorite table. Sarang looked around the restaurant, wondering when was the last time she’s been inside a place like this.

“It’s probably not something you’re used to, huh?” Sanggyun sheepishly asked.

“No, it’s not. But that’s a good thing.” Sarang smiled an easy smile before turning to Jiwoo who wanted to sit next to her. “What do you recommend, Jiwoo?” Sarang asked.

After dinner, that consisted of Jiwoo telling Sarang all about his family and his three uncles, the three left. After a while, Jiwoo stated that he was sleepy and wanted to be carried. Within minutes of being in his dad’s arms, he was asleep, one hand holding tightly to Sarang’s.

“You have a beautiful son.” Sarang told Sanggyun as the two walked.

“Thank you. He’s my everything. And thank you, for today.”

“I’m really sorry I was so late and couldn’t let you know. I feel horrible.” Sanggyun stopped walking, turning slightly so he could look at Sarang.

“Hey, don’t beat yourself up over it. You showed up, didn’t you?” Sarang nodded her head. “Then that’s all that matters.” Sanggyun reassured.

The two walked in silence until they got to the halfway point where they would be splitting ways. Sanggyun waved down a taxi for Sarang who was till holding Jiwoo’s hand.

“I’ll see you later?” Sanggyun wondered. Sarang smiled a small smile, nodding her head.

“Of course, sunbaenim.” Sarang promised before placing a light kiss on Jiwoo’s hand. “Goodnight, Jiwoo.” She said as she his hair gently.

“Goodnight, sunbaenim.” Sarang said to Sanggyun.

“Goodnight, Sarang. Get home safe.” Sanggyun said with a smile. Sarang was about to get into the taxi when Sanggyun called out to her.

“Sarang.” Sarang turned her head. “Just call me Sanggyun. No more sunbaenim.” Sarang grinned before nodding her head.

“Okay…Sanggyun. Goodnight. Get home safe, okay.” Sarang got into the taxi and gave Sanggyun a small wave before the taxi drove off. Sarang smiled the entire time, her heart beating fast. Sanggyun couldn’t stop smiling either and went to bed with a smile, dreaming about a kind princess.