Chapter 24

As I Am

Sarang sat in her car, looking at the address on the GPS and seeing if it matched the one she was at.

“He hasn’t texted me back and he won’t pick up the phone. Am I even in the right place?” Sarang got her phone and dialed Hyun Ho’s number.
“What is it, Sarang?” “Oppa, are you sure you got the address right?” Sarang didn’t miss Hyun Ho’s sigh.

“Yes, Sarang. I got the address right. Why don’t you just go in and check for yourself?” “Yah, don’t give me any attitude.”

“Sarang, I’m kind of on a date with my girlfriend and I would like to get back to my date. Technically, I’m off the clock so you’re going to have to figure this out for yourself.” And with that, Hyun Ho hung up.

“Did he just hang up on me? This guy had the nerve, the audacity, to hang up on me!” Sarang exclaimed, but making sure to keep her voice down as to not wake up Jiwoo. Sarang let out a huff before unbuckling her seatbelt, putting her purse on the floor so it couldn’t be seen and getting out the car. She got Jiwoo out, shushing the boy as he stirred and rubbed his back. Jiwoo settled down, resting his head on her shoulder as Sarang carried him and he fell back to sleep.

Sarang entered the restaurant, quietly thanking the older couple who kept the door open for her.

“How many?” The maître d asked her.

“I’m actually looking for someone. He wanted me to drop his son off but I keep calling him and texting him and he doesn’t answer so I don’t even know if I’m at the right place.” Sarang explained, rocking slightly to keep Jiwoo asleep, a hand on his head.

“What’s his name?” The maître d asked, getting out her book to look through the names.

“Well his name is Kim Sanggyun but I don’t think the reservation would be under his name. He was meeting someone here and I don’t know who that someone is.”

“Do you have a picture of this Kim Sanggyun?” Sarang put her phone on the maître d’s podium and used one hand to get to her gallery to pull up a photo she had of Sanggyun. He had asked her to take a picture of him and Jiwoo on one of their hangouts and it has been her favorite picture since.

“That’s him.” The maître d studied the picture before recognition dawned on her. “I know who that is. Follow me, I’ll take you to him.” Sarang tried to get the maître d to bring Sanggyun to her instead but the maître d didn’t listen so Sarang had no other choice but to follow her.

They walked through a maze of tables until they got to a more secluded section where there were rooms instead of just tables. The maître d stopped in front of one room, sliding the door open and revealing the Kim family. Their conversation had stopped when the door opened and Sanggyun jumped when he realized Sarang was there. The maître d bowed before walking away.

“Sarang? I thought you were going to text me or something that you were here. I was going to go out and get Jiwoo.” Sanggyun exclaimed.

“I tried, multiple times, but you never answered. I was out there for almost half an hour.” Sarang said, confusing Sanggyun.

“What do you mean? I never…” But then the realization dawned on him and he turned to glare at his younger siblings who smiled innocently at him. “Which one of you has my phone?”

“What do you mean, oppa?” Sohee wondered, battling her eyes.

“Yah! What did you two do?” Mrs. Kim scolded. “You two are always causing trouble.” Mr. Kim tsked.

“We just wanted to know who ‘Sarang’ was!” Donghan said.

“Yeah! We didn’t know if that was the actual name or a nickname that oppa had them under!” Sohee added on.

“We’re so sorry for the trouble our youngest have caused.” Mrs. Kim stood up and bowed to Sarang who just attempted to smile at the older lady. It felt more like a grimace though.

“It’s fine. I just didn’t want Jiwoo to be uncomfortable in the car.” Sarang sheepishly explained, not sure how to speak to the lady. The maids she grew up with were one thing. Her father was another. And anyone else that she ever came in contact with was different from the couple in the room.

“May I see him?” Mrs. Kim wondered, gesturing towards the sleeping Jiwoo. Sarang looked at Sanggyun, unsure but Sanggyun just nodded at her so Sarang turned so Mrs. Kim could see Jiwoo’s face.

“He’s so beautiful.” Mrs. Kim whispered, lightly touching Jiwoo’s face. It was a mix between being scared of breaking him and not wanting to wake him. “Are you his mother?” Mrs. Kim asked Sarang who choked on air.

“No, eomma. She isn’t Jiwoo’s mom. His mom is living in another country. His mom is a foreigner.” Sanggyun quickly explained, shooting Taeyang a glare who was trying to not laugh.

“I’m so sorry! You just seem so comfortable holding him. I just thought, never mind.” Mrs. Kim awkwardly laughed.

“Yeobo, enough. You’re embarrassing our son and his friend. Miss, please sit.” Mr. Kim stood up, offering his chair to Sarang who was quick to decline.

“I was just here to drop off Jiwoo. I don’t want to intrude.” Sarang said, looking to Sanggyun for help. She had no idea how to handle other families that weren’t her own. Has she ever met any other families besides the Minsung’s? Dealing with them was so natural since she’s grown up with them.

“You’re not intruding! Please, we insist.” Mrs. Kim said, putting a motherly arm around Sarang and guiding her to the table. Taeyang got up so they could get an extra chair. Sarang slowly sat down, holding Jiwoo as if he were her lifeline.

“Sanggyun, sit next to your friend.” Mrs. Kim instructed, moving her son so that he took her chair. Sanggyun knew his mom wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“Eomma, Sarang has to go soon. She's got work.” Sanggyun tried to say, shooting Sarang an apologetic look.

“Actually, I just came from that shoot.” Sanggyun gave her a confused look, prompting her to explain further. “They had moved it up and my manager called to tell me when Jiwoo and I were on our way to the zoo,” Sarang explained.

“So Jiwoo was with you at the shoot?” Sanggyun asked. Sarang slowly nodded her head.

“I’m sorry. I should’ve called you but Jiwoo was already sad about not going to the zoo and I didn’t want him to be even more sad about our day being cut short.” Sarang quickly said, hoping Sanggyun didn’t get upset at her.

“It’s fine, I just hope you didn’t get in trouble.”

“Oh, no! Everyone there loved him.” Sanggyun smiled at this before looking at his sleeping son. He rested a hand on his head and smiled at his boy fondly.

“Wait, Sarang…as in,” Sohee gasped as she recognized who Sarang was. “You’re Shin Sarang! As in the Shin Sarang!” Sohee quickly stood up and bowed multiple times to Sarang. Sanggyun heard Sarang’s sharp intake of breath and quickly snapped at his sister to cut it out.

“You mean Shin Sarang, that awf-“ Mrs. Kim drew out the ‘f’ and Sarang cringed, waiting for the negative comment.

“Eomma!” Sanggyun exclaimed, surprising Taeyang who came back with a chair.

“Yeobo!” Mr. Kim also exclaimed. “That girl from the news! I wasn’t going to say anything!” Mrs. Kim quickly said, mentally scolding herself for not being better to hold her tongue.

“It hasn’t even been twenty minutes and already you’re making poor Sarang uncomfortable.” Taeyang tsked, putting the chair at the table and gesturing for his parents to sit down before he himself sat down.

“It’s fine. Um, yes I am Shin Sarang. It’s nice to meet you.” Sarang slowly said, unsure of what else to say.

“Your dad has some dope malls,” Donghan said. Sarang quietly said ‘I’ll let him know’ before training her eyes onto the table. She wasn’t sure what to do or what to say, never having been in this situation before. Mr. Kim took notice of how uncomfortable Sarang and decided to speak up.

“Sarang, how did you meet my boys and grandson?” Mr. Kim’s use of the word ‘grandson’ surprised everyone but Sarang who didn’t know the family’s history.

“I went to the same school as Sanggyun for a year before going to study abroad. I finally moved back to Seoul a few months ago and met Jiwoo at the café that Sanggyun worked at. It probably sounds weird but it was a busy day at the café and the only open seat was with Jiwoo.” Sarang let out an awkward laugh. She knew it seemed weird and it probably was but what else could she say?

“I saw him again at my best friend’s apartment. Sanggyun’s hyu-“ “Yah, how many times do I have to tell you to call me ‘Taeyang oppa’. I don’t care who your family is, I’m still older than you.” Taeyang lightly scolded, in hopes of helping Sarang loosen up.

“Sorry. Taeyang oppa was hired to fix the shower head in the apartment and Sanggyun and Jiwoo had been there as well. And that’s kind of how we met.” Sarang finished.

“Well, I apologize in advance if my sons give you any trouble and I apologize for the troubles they may have already caused you.” Mr. Kim said with a chuckle.

“Appa! I’m a good guy! If anyone is causing Sarang trouble, it’s Sanggyun.” Taeyang said, pointing an accusatory finger at Sanggyun.

“What?! No!” Sanggyun looked to his mom for help like he used to do when they were younger but realized that she doesn’t know anything. He still would like her to back him up though.

“What about that time you didn’t talk to her for weeks? I’m sure that was causing her trouble.” Taeyang pointedly said.

“Hyung!” “Oppa! You don’t do that! That’s horrible!” Sohee said, aghast by her brother’s behavior. She didn’t care what the tabloids and everyone said about Sarang. If she was good to her nephew—who she has yet to officially meet—and brothers, then none of the negative things said about her mattered.

“You two don’t even know the full story.” Sanggyun deadpanned, glaring at his younger siblings.

“I don’t need to know. Sarang eonni did nothing wrong and you should treat her better.” Sohee stated before looking at Sarang. “Is it okay if you call you ‘eonni’?”

“Uh, yeah. It’s fine but really, you don’t have to side with me. I understand why Sanggyun did what he did.” Sarang explained.

“Aigoo, I never realized I raised a player.” Mrs. Kim sighed to herself. “Eomma! I’m not a player!”

The family plus Sarang finally left the restaurant after another hour. And in that hour, Mrs. Kim got Sarang’s number and gave Sarang their address. She insisted that Sarang was too thin and needed to be fed, so the address was so Sarang can go over and eat. Sarang was too awkward to say anything so she just accepted. She also got Sohee’s number who was excited about finally having an eonni. Sarang couldn’t help but smile every time Sohee called her ‘eonnie’ and Donghan called her ‘noona’. She bid her goodbye to the family after handing Jiwoo to Sanggyun. Jiwoo had woken up a couple times just to see where he was before going back to sleep so he didn’t get to officially meet his grandparents and aunt and uncle.

Sanggyun kissed the top Jiwoo’s head as him and Taeyang walked their family to their car. The chatted for a bit before telling each other goodbye. Mrs. Kim told them that they needed to go over to the house soon for dinner and so she can see her grandson when he’s awake and coherent. While Taeyang said goodbye to their mom and siblings, Sanggyun stood off to the side with their dad.

“Appa, what’s wrong?” Sanggyun wondered. He’s noticed a strange look in his dad’s eyes when Sarang arrived with Jiwoo but he couldn’t figure out what it meant.

“Jiwoo, he’s so beautiful.” Mr. Kim’s hand hovered over the sleeping boy’s back. And that’s when Sanggyun realized what the look meant.

“Appa, I forgive you. It was four years ago and you were just angry.” Mr. Kim allowed the tears to spill and his hand to fall gently on Jiwoo’s back.

“That doesn’t excuse what I suggested for you to do. I should have never done that. I’m a horrible person, Sanggyun. Thank you for not listening to me, Sanggyun or else you wouldn’t have this beautiful, perfect boy.” Mr. Kim quietly sobbed. Sanggyun pulled his dad into a hug with his free arm.

“I forgive you, appa. I forgive you. Forget what happened and just focus on being the best grandpa to Jiwoo.” Sanggyun told him. Mr. Kim nodded his head, holding his son and grandson for a couple more seconds before letting them go.

“If either of you needs anything, don’t hesitate to call your eomma or me. And don’t be strangers. I have a grandson to spoil now and I know your little brother and sister are excited to get to know their nephew.” Sanggyun smiled at this and promised his dad that him, Jiwoo, and Taeyang will see them more. They all finally went their separate ways, Sanggyun and Taeyang walking to their home while their parents and siblings went on to theirs.

“This turned out a lot better than I thought.”


A/N Comments make me extremely happy!!!