Chapter. 16

Stay (Yes or No)

Mom let you stay off school for a few days. She understood how you felt, and that you needed space before you were ready to go back to school. You stayed off for two weeks, but the school told you to come back so you could catch up and prepare for the showcase.

"Do you want me to drop you off?" your mom asked.

You just nodded, and started out towards the car. In around 15 minutes, the car stopped outside the school gates. People were pouring in, shoving each other so they could get in first. Laughter filled the air but you didn't feel like laughing or smiling, even. 

It suddenly went silent. You looked out the window to see the hockey team slowly walking to the school gate, with their heads bowed down. None of them were showing the slightest of emotion. Everyone was there except for Hwanhee and Jinhoo.

Kogyeol looked over and caught sight of you in the car. He paused for a second then continued on walking, still holding the eye-contact between you. The bell rang and you slowly got out of the car. Once again, everyone fell silent as you walked up to the school entrance. 

The lessons seemed to go by so slowly. In your Chinese lesson, usually you'd talk to people behind you and infront of you and next to you, but you said nothing today. The whole world was on mute while you tried to figure out what you wanted to do and how you needed to do it. Wooshin was still in hospital. You hadn't gone to see him yet, but word went around that he was in critical condition.

Before you could clean up your thoughts, the bell rang and the next lesson was showcase practice. One problem: your duet partner, Hwanhee, wasn't here. It didn't bother you though. You weren't in the mood to sing or dance or do anything. Sitting silently in the room, you stared at the wall. The banging or drums and strumming or guitars could be heard from other rooms, but no sound came from yours.

BANG! The door slammed open, denting the wall.

"WHERE IS HE!" he screamed. "DON'T HIDE FROM ME HWANHEE."

"Jinhoo! What're you doing here?!" you pleaded, trying to calm him down.

"WHERE IS HE."

"He's not here. He didn't come into school today." you replied quietly.

Jinhoo slumped down onto the floor. His hair was messy, lips were dry, clothes were dirty, shoes were muddy, and his knuckles were bleeding. He started crying, tears dripping down his cheeks. Slowly, he nestled into you, just like you did to Kogyeol on the day of the accident. You slowly lifted your arms and wrapped it around his neck. His hands wrapped around your waist as he started to sob into your shoulder.

You sighed, and stared at the floor. The door slowly opened, and Kogyeol quietly entered the room.