Chapter. 14

Stay (Yes or No)

"NO! WOOSHIN!" you cried.

The sirens wailed but it was all a blurr. Kogyeol hugged you tightly and you cried into his shoulder. Trying to force him to let go. you struggled and pulled away but he was too strong for you. In the end you just gave up and held him by the waist, tears gushing down your cheeks and staining the shoulder of his hockey uniform. 

"Excuse me, miss, what's your name? How old are you?" the medical lady asked you. "Please, miss. We need to know your parents' contact information. Do you have your phone with you? Anything that can be used to inform your parents?"

You'd stopped crying by now, but you were so numb that you couldn't hear anything she was saying. The nurse gave up and returned to the ambulance. Wooshin's body lay in a stretcher inside the vehicle. Still and life-less. Around him, nurses and medical examiners were controlling his pulse and breathing. The sirens went off and the ambulance rushed away to the hospital. Kogyeol pulled you over to a bench and sat you down. As soon as your body dropped onto the bench, you burst into tears again. Kogyeol hugged you. You could feel his breath on your ear and neck as he pulled you close. He whispered in your ears:

"It's okay. Shh. It's gonna be okay."

--- TWO HOURS EARLIER ---

"Wooshin has the ball! I repeat, WOOSHIN HAS THE BALL! WILL HE SCORE OR WILL HE PASS?" the announcer shouted over the PA.

Him and his partner sounded more excited than you were. Next to you Jinhoo cheered, jumping up and down. You laughed and cheered as well, shouting and screaming at the top of your lungs. Wooshin passed the ball to Kuhn, Kuhn passed it to Wei, and Wei passed it to Kogyeol...

AND HE SCORES!!! KOGYEOL SCORED ANOTHER GOAL!! WHOOOOOOPPPP!!!

The announcers were screaming into the microphone, basically hugging each other in happiness.The score was now 10-3 to you team!! You were winning by 7 points! The first team to get to 15 points would win the game and qualify to the next round (that match is held at another time)!!! You and Jinhoo high-fived, bouncing up and down on your feet.

When the noise had died down, you asked him, "Why don't you play? You seem to know the rules well~"

"I used to play," he replied. "But i hurt my ankle and i was too scared to do any sport from then on."

"Oh~ I see," you smiled. "I hurt my shoulder dancing, once. I didn't dance for a whole year 'cause i was scared. But when i started again, it felt so good. I missed it, you know? You should try again~ One step at a time~"

"Yeah... Maybe i should try," he grinned.

Just as you finished your sentence... CLANG! A sharp piercing sound echoed around the stadium. The crowd gasped and you struggled to see what was going on. The loud audience quietened down and a few people started murmering.

Then, you saw him.

"WOOSHIN!" you shouted.

"NO! WOOSHIN-AH," shouted Jinhoo, panicking.

You both ran down the stares and jumped over the gate, into the ice rink. Wooshin lay in the center of the rink, motionless. The boys were crowding around him. Everyone was standing around him, shaking him to see if he was conscious. Someone from the other team checked to see if he was still breathing. Everyone was leaning over, except for Hwanhee. He just stood a few metres away from the accident with a shocked look on his face. His mouth was gaping open, and his arms slowly rose up to his head.

"Surley Hwanhee wouldn't have done this," you thought. You hoped.

But before you could think any longer, Jinhoo stormed over to Hwanhee, picked him up and threw him to the floor.

"It was you!" Jinhoo shouted, tears rolling down his face. He wiped them away aggressively and was just about to punch Hwanhee when Kuhn pulled him away. No one held Hwanhee back. He just sat on the ground, not saying a word.

"It was you!" Jinhoo shouted again. "You did this to him! You did this on purpose didn't you! You couldn't BEAR to see him do something you couldn't. He always got everything you wanted. You did this on purpose! If Wooshin's dead..."

"... I'll kill you myself" Jinhoo spat in anger, and ran away.

After he left you ran by Wooshin's side, trying not to cry.

A pool of blood surrounded his head, and he was still. He wasn't breathing. You burst into tears and before you could do or say anything, medical support came rushing through the doors; carrying stretchers, a big first-aid kit and a machine that would help him breathe.

You tumbled down to the ground and cried. As Wooshin was being carried out on a stretcher, someone lifted you from behind and dragged you up onto your feet. It was Kogyeol. You tried to break free but he wasn't letting go. He hugged you instead, and let you cry on his shoulder.