Chapter 34

Strictly Platonic

Morning, whiny baby,” Bambi greets with a snort as soon as she spots her roommate heading towards her in the kitchen.

 

Not now. My head is throbbing like crazy,” He retorts snippily while he massages his temples and takes a seat.

 

She lets out an amused snort yet again. “Which is why I slaved all morning for this.” She then lays out a big breakfast feast, which includes waffles, bacon, hash browns, scrambled eggs, toast, and jam; with a side of hangover cure soup, ice cream, and good ol' coffee. Just the way he likes it.

 

Sehun isn't much of a foodie, but whenever he has hangovers, both his mouth and stomach can't seem to get enough. Though if he doesn't eat or drink the right stuff, they get much worse; which is precisely why he can't help but feel grateful for having Bambi around.

 

Wow...” His eyes widen at the amount of delectable food in front of him as he gulps in anticipation.

 

Eat up,” She commands, pleased at his reaction.

 

He immediately does what he's told and devours everything in sight. She, in turn, could only watch him in disbelief and amazement. Even if she's witnessed this particular scene a few times, it still astounds her on some level.

 

I didn't say anything stupid last night, did I?” He asks, slowing his food intake down.

 

She instantly freezes at the sudden inquiry, but manages to reply in a somewhat cool tone, “That depends. Are you aware that you only have 1 question left now?”

 

He groans for just confirming the worst. “That shouldn't count!!! I was DRUNK!!”

 

Excuse you. You asked SEVERAL as per usual, but I chose to deduct 2 to give you a chance.” She makes a face, remembering last night's events, while silently praying to God that Sehun's kept in the dark about it.

 

Fine. Then, 5 for you for that rhetorical question earlier,” He snaps as he chows down on a strip of bacon.

 

Sounds fair.” She shrugs nonchalantly.

 

He merely scoffs and continues to eat his breakfast.

 

Not long after, the familiar buzzing of the front door rings within the loft and the two roommates exchange looks.

 

Who do you bet it is?” Bambi asks with a mischievous smirk.

 

They have a stare-off before answering simultaneously, “Dara.”

 

As if on cue, the mentioned person greets in an unusually shrill voice, “Hey, ers!”

 

The two knowingly glance each other and exchange smiles of victory. “Touché,” Sehun acknowledges with a brief nod.

 

Don't forget about my birthday!” Sandara chirps, interrupting their moment of triumph.

 

It's literally ten days away,” Sehun points out grumpily.

 

Sehun, honey... I didn't ask you to count how many days away we are from it. I asked you to not forget it. Two very different things,” The older female responds in a snippy tone, yet shares a sweet smile, “You know the rules. You act as if you haven't been around for more than a year.”

 

Bambi chooses to say nothing, but tries her hardest not to snort or laugh. Sandara is rarely this snippy and when she's in such a mood, everyone in the gang knows not to cross her. So, seeing Sehun hold back with all his strength is an amusing sight. He's aware that even if he fights back, it would be a losing battle on his part to begin with.

 

Since it's a Saturday, I expect all of us to be setting off at the same time, yes? I'm providing the transportation after all and I want zero tardiness,” Sandara explains, maintaining the sweet yet eerie disposition.

 

Sure. You don't have to worry about a thing, Dara,” Bambi says, sending a small smile.

 

Great!” Sandara's aura turns to a genuine cheerfulness as she continues, “Also, remind me to uninvite Yixing one of these days.”

 

WHAT?!” Sehun and Bambi exclaim at the same time.

 

I was drunk one night, so I kind of invited him...” Sandara explains with a shrug and immediately changes the topic as soon as her eyes spot the feast in front of Sehun. “ANYWAY... great talk. What's for breakfast?”

 

Bambi snorts and glances pointedly at her loftmate. “This one's hangover cure.”

 

Sandara pouts cutely at her youngest friend. “None for me?”

 

Hey, you were drunk ONE night, not LAST night,” Sehun instantly snaps as he attempts to protect his food from her.

 

Fine. Be a brat, you ungrateful child,” Sandara sasses and rolls her eyes.

 

I can cook you something. What do you want?” Bambi offers, feeling a little generous.

 

Just waffles and bacon would be fantastic, thank you!” Sandara bubbles with a wide grin as she plops next to Sehun.

 

On it.” The younger female begins to prepare the ingredients in the kitchen.

 

And I'M the brat.” Sehun glares at Sandara.

 

Well, you ARE,” She retorts with a raised eyebrow.

 

Please,” He scoffs as he proceeds to resume eating his breakfast and ignoring her for the rest of the morning.

***

It's not long before the much awaited birthday of Sandara arrives. Though it did seem quite long to wait for the rest of the gang, because she kept reminding them every single day; like she had nothing better to do (she didn't).

 

The slight "problem" with the accidental invitation to Yixing was easily solved. While she was immensely intoxicated at the time, he was actually as high as a kite. So technically, there was no real problem to be dealt with in the first place. After that was sorted out, Iona naturally was given his place. Her presence is a bit more frequent (and mandatory even) these days.

 

The ride to Sandara's grandeur cabin in the mountains remain uneventful; as everyone seems worn out from their respective Friday grind. It isn't until they settle down in their temporary home that matters start to escalate. One thing leads to another and somehow that Saturday night, they end up playing truth or dare. A rather immature game for their age, but anyone who knows the birthday girl keep in mind that when it comes to her, you should always expect the unexpected.

 

The rules they laid out are pretty simple. Since they are gathered in a circle, a bottle is spun in their midst. Whoever it lands on gets to choose who to give their dreaded question of truth or dare to. The game soon begins and the bottle points at Amber after making its round.

 

Truth or dare?” She asks, looking directly at Bambi.

 

Truth,” The latter answers simply.

 

So early in the game?!” Sandara protests annoyed.

 

Typical Bambi,” Kyungsoo comments, shooting his best friend a slightly menacing glare.

 

Alright. Suit yourself.” Amber exhales sharply and continues, “Here's a question that you have to answer truthfully: Do you like Sehun or not?”

 

Bambi freezes for a second in panic, but eventually musters almost in a whisper, “Of course.” Her gaze then falls upon her loftmate. “We've been friends for more than a year now, haven't we?”

 

Amber snorts at the sly approach she took. “As always, you never play fair.”

 

I answered the question truthfully, didn't I?” Bambi counters.

 

I knew we should've convinced you to take up law back in college,” Amber retorts sarcastically with a matching forced smile.

 

Bambi merely scowls as she averts her eyes elsewhere.

 

If you're not going to play the game properly, then don't play at all!” Jongdae complains in a deafingly high pitch.

 

Sandara instantly smacks the back of his head and hisses, “We can always get back at her later. Where's your devious spirit gone?!”

 

He shares a sheepish smile. “Right. Sorry about that.”

 

The game then continues despite the somewhat tense first step it took. Luckily, the birthday girl herself is the one maintaining the upbeat hilarity. Her partner in crime, of course, couldn't miss out on all the fun.

 

Alright!! Who shall I pick now?” Jongdae bursts in a singsong voice as he scans each one of his friends. When he finally locks on his target, he clears his throat and meets eyes with the youngest in the room. “I, Kim Jongdae, dare you, Oh Sehun, to the nearest toilet seat.”

 

A chorus of 'ew's resonate within the group, knowing well that Jongdae is referring to the toilet they've been using for the past couple of hours.

 

Sehun merely scoffs and even proposes boldly, “If I both above and under, do I earn a double dare to use on another person of my choice?”

 

The atmosphere immediately changed as a several 'oooooh's are uttered by the rest.

 

But you're so particular about germs and hygiene,” Amber points out while shuddering at the thought.

 

Not if I want that double dare. I'll always make an exception,” Sehun replies, having a plan in mind for later.

 

Well, as long as you won't direct the double dare towards me, then I'm sold.” Jongdae chortles, testing to see how far their friend would really go.

 

Deal,” Sehun quickly agrees as he mentally prepares for the worst.

 

He complies easily even if Jongdae keeps taunting him literally a few inches away. He swears he would've gone deaf then and there if Iona hadn't stuffed a mini towel ball in the latter's mouth.

 

As soon as he finishes up, at the speed of light it seems, he immediately gurgles on at least half of the gigantic mouthwash present in the bathroom. Flashes of cartoonish bacteria run through his brain while he does so, but he mentally scolds himself to remain calm. He had to remain calm if he's going to be able to execute the plan he just came up with a few minutes before.

 

When the rest finally quiet down and somehow move on from the scene they just witnessed, Amber spins the bottle to resume the game.

 

Well, isn't it your lucky day?” Kyungsoo blurts out, looking at the person who winds up with the bottle pointing at them.

 

Sehun stares at the glass container dumbfounded, and then meets his loftmate's eyes to ask the much awaited question, “Truth or dare?”

 

Dare,” Bambi responds without thinking as her brain starts going bat crazy in panic.

 

I dare you to stand outside by the backyard and wait until I give you your actual dare,” He says.

 

Is this even fair?” She counters.

 

Well, he did win a double dare just a couple of minutes ago,” Iona reasons with a shrug.

 

Bambi lets out a sigh of defeat. “How long would I have to wait?”

 

Just until I get my turn again,” Sehun replies with a fake smile, “The rest can't give you a truth or a dare until then.”

 

But that can take forever! Is this valid?!” She screams in protest.

 

I'm fine with it. You're pretty crap at this game anyway,” Jongdae mocks with a snort.

 

She instantly shoots a glare at him and the rest, who seem to have zero desire to go against Sehun's stupid dare, remain quiet.

 

FINE. s.” She gets up with a haughty expression and stomps her way to the backyard without another word.

 

Boredom catches up to Bambi swiftly as she waits in such a still and quiet environment, surrounded by nothing except cold gusts of wind now and then.

 

What was gonna happen now? She really has a bad feeling flipping through her gut about what her roommate's actual dare is. Sure, it couldn't be nearly as bad as a toilet seat, but knowing Sehun, it could be something along the lines of what Amber attempted to do at the beginning of the game. Though it does relieve her that he has no clue about what she confessed the night he got piss drunk. On the other hand, the anxious part of her mind is screaming profanities and calling to abandon ship as early as this second.

 

Just as she's about to break the deal, the rising star of both the game and night waltzes in front of her.

 

Sehun sighs, looking right into her eyes. “I dare you to answer my last question.”

 

The rest, not in the slightest keeping their presence on the other side of the door subtle, also listen in.

 

Bambi stares at him, fully aware what the 'last question' means. “Are you sure? It means you lose.”

 

Halfway throughout, I realized I was never gonna win anyway. Also, 4 for you,” He jokes and chuckles for a bit as he continues in a serious tone, “Now for my last question and your dare.”

 

He hesitates for a bit as they continue to gaze at each other in silence.

 

Do we break the rule or not?” He finally utters.

 

Her eyes widen in shock and her heart starts beating faster than usual. “Sehun...”

 

I meant it when I said I really like you, Bambi. I know you like me too and I know you're scared as hell. Just please...”

 

Despite knowing that what he said is true, she daringly counters, “What makes you think that--”

 

Don't waste one of your questions on something you already know,” He immediately interrupts.

 

Even though for a couple of days his memory about the night he got drunk were blank, everything came crashing to him all at once the minute he talked to Jongin. When he had retraced his steps from his best friend's point of view, the moments that happened after he was taken home just rippled naturally. For some time during post-realization, he kept thinking of opportunities to try and ask his final question. Now that everything fell into place only a few minutes ago, he isn't about to put the chance to waste.

 

Bambi freezes panic-stricken and stares at him. “I...” She takes a few steps back in fear. “I...” Her mind attempts to compose a proper sentence. “I just want it to be the way it is right now. I just want us to be forever--”

 

Friends, right? You want us to remain friends?” Sehun interjects with an evident frown.

 

She gulps nervously and nods a 'yes'.

 

You have to understand that if we remain friends, Bambi, I will have to date other people. I will have to see other girls. I'm going to date other girls who aren't you. And you...you will do the same. You will date other guys. And we will talk to each other about it. Like ing idiots. That's what it means. Do you want that?” His eyes send hers a look of desperation.

 

She immediately tears her gaze away, not wanting to give in to what her feelings are consistently screaming for her to do.

 

I'm not going to ask you again if you just answer me now,” He states firmly and asks again, “Do we break the rule or not?”

 

All sorts of mixed emotions cloud Bambi in that moment. Questions which she can't seem to find the answers to, berate her limitlessly.

 

What am I supposed to do? What is going to happen? Can time just pause for one Goddamn ing minute for me to gather my thoughts properly? How did he even find out?

 

He must've remembered. It's the only way he knows. Some people aren't like YOU when they get drunk, so it's very plausible.

 

But does it even matter? The fact is that he knows and you can't hide your ty cowardly ways anymore.

 

...

 

You ing like him for God's sake and maybe even a lot more than that. Why can't you just cut the crap out for a second and leap? ing leap. Take a risk. Do it.

 

But what if--

 

'IF', BAMBI! ANY OF THE 'WHAT IFS'!! IT'S SIMPLE, ISN'T IT? DO YOU LIKE HIM OR NOT?

 

Yes.

 

THEN, LET FREAKIN' GO.

 

it,” She whispers as she walks up to him with all the courage she has left on her body and plants a passionate kiss on his lips.

 

Though his eyes widen in perplexity at her response, he gradually eases in and enjoys the surprising way she chose to answer his question.

 

This is the best birthday I've ever had if I'm being honest. I don't need anything else in the world,” Sandara proclaims, staring at her two friends in a complete state of euphoria.

 

The rest with her choose to say nothing and merely send her a weird look.

 

What? Do you KNOW how long I've been trying to get those two together?!” She yells annoyed.

 

You DO know what you're getting yourself into, right?” Bambi questions, keeping her arms wrapped around his neck.

 

Mhmm...” Sehun nods, sharing an overjoyed grin. “Do YOU?”

 

Oh, crap,” She replies sarcastically and squints her eyes at him, “Are you not Joseph Gordon-Levitt? I'm sorry.”

 

He instantly scoffs at the name mentioned. “Yeah, right. Like you could ever mistake that midget for me.”

 

She gasps offended and lightly hits his chest. “Hey! Take that back!”

 

Why should I? Is it not true??” He interjects tauntingly.

 

It doesn't matter if it's true or not. Just take that back!” She exclaims, wrinkling her nose in irritation.

 

I don't want to!” He pouts at her childishly. “Why do you like him so much anyway? I'm right here, aren't I?”

 

You're the one to talk, Miranda Kerr,” She mocks, making a face.

 

Hey! Keep Miranda out of this!”

 

Point proven.”

 

Awww. Are you jealous??” He bats his eyelashes innocently.

 

Her expression immediately turns stone cold. “Do you want to die?”

 

Come here, will you?!” He chortles as he pulls her in for a tight embrace. “Cutie chops.”

 

Ugh! You're so annoying!” She shouts while attempting to squirm her way out of the hug. Sehun ignores her and squeezes her even tighter; to the point that she blurts out on the verge of pure rage, “If we break up and it's because of you, you're dead ing meat. You know that, right?”

 

Wow. You underestimate me, don't you?” He says playfully, peeking at her irked face, and then continues in a sincere tone, “We won't. I won't be making any promises either, because I know we won't. You're never getting away from me. That's for sure.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

AN: 

Hope you're as happy as I am lolz :))) We've got more in store for these two but nothing drastic. There's no way but up as I like to say. :)