Chapter 17

Strictly Platonic

The first month of the year flew by like a speeding bullet train right before the gang's eyes. Regular hangouts at each other's apartments were always a given as well as non-stop pestering through social media.

 

Bambi and Sehun managed to create a weird roommate bond, despite their snippy exchanges and shallow elementary type fights. Bambi's surprised that they can actually hold serious conversations about certain topics, but it happens rarely, because one of them always has this unyielding itch to ruin the atmosphere. Sehun has even gone as far as 'play flirting' with her, because he knows how much it pisses her off. The rest witnessed their developing relationship with much amusement and remained glad that all six of them are able to live in peace and harmony.

 

Before anyone else even has the capacity to get their dates right, the ultimate event of love and possibly one of the most overrated 'holidays' of all time arrives.

 

Just like any other Sunday, the two loftmates get up a little later than usual and have brunch together. Some days, one of them cooks while in others, they opt for sinfully delicious food deliveries. They chat during, but mostly after eating their meal, which may or may not turn into a heated debate.

 

I could never date someone who doesn't have the same food taste as me,” Bambi thinks aloud as she pictures the relationship in her head. The aura of it all looks absolutely bleak and dreary, like a life without purpose.

 

They say that there are two types of people in this world: people who live to eat and people who eat to live. She's a part of the population of the former. So naturally, getting into an actual relationship with a person who eats only when they need to and doesn't even have the same food taste as her would be terrifying. She's pretty convinced she'd let one of her friends send her to a mental institution in case that happens.

 

I have the same food taste as you. Would you date me?” Sehun quips, interrupting her somehow deep thoughts.

 

She instantly scrunches her nose up in annoyance, knowing too well that this is him trying to get a rise out of her. “WOW. So much for keeping it strictly platonic.”

 

It's just a hypothetical.” He coolly shrugs.

 

No, I wouldn't,” She immediately retorts as she reminds him, “Because we're friends, aren't we? Don't want to ruin this whole weird dynamic between the two of us.”

 

Isn't that better though? Starting out as friends and later on...” His voice trails off and he deliberately sends her a sickly sweet innocent look.

 

I've never done that before. It feels weird. Like why would you date your friend?” She counters while making a face. The mental image of it doesn't sink in her mind well.

 

You dated Jongdae,” He casually accuses with a smug smirk.

 

It was ONE date,” She exclaims. “And we weren't friends at the time. We had just met. He asked me out. I thought he was cute, so I said yes. We became friends after. And you weren't there, okay? That date went so wrong on so many levels.”

 

What about Kyungsoo?”

 

What ABOUT Kyungsoo?” She raises an eyebrow at him and folds her arms across her chest.

 

You've never thought of dating him?” He asks in the most serious tone possible.

 

EW NO!” She screams, shuddering at the thought. “That's like or something.”

 

He stares at her for a moment, rather taken aback by her reaction. He finds it hard to believe that it never once occurred to her that she could easily date Kyungsoo and have an actual healthy relationship; even if it means shattering the whole Three Musketeers vibe they have with Amber.

 

What's your ideal type then?” He questions, changing the topic.

 

21 questions?” She replies, cocking an eyebrow.

 

A month before, they made a deal to use the remaining questions they had left from their first game for what they think would be personal questions for the remainder of the year. First one to use up their set before the next New Year, loses. He had 17 left, while she had 14.

 

The discussion came about when Bambi innocently asked Sehun about how he met Chanyeol and Jongin. They had just gotten back home from Jongin's birthday party and she was curious seeing as how close the three of them were. It felt like her, Kyungsoo, and Amber's friendship, except with less estrogen and more testosterone. Ultimately, she was satisfied with the answers she got, because she felt she knew Sehun a little better. And also because he didn't push her buttons (aka cheat) with the questions that time.

 

Yes, I would like to use my 17th one now,” He declares in a formal tone.

 

Okay. Well, someone...” Unlike Aaron. She ponders a bit for a better answer.“...reliable.”

 

That can be anyone.”

 

Okay. Then, someone like JGL.”

 

The who?”

 

She smirks, wanting a revenge of her own. “15 left. Joseph Gordon-Levitt.”

 

Okay... so what is this Joseph dude like?” He asks, growing impatient.

 

14,” She reminds him as she continues, “Manly. Reliable. Doesn't give two s about what other people think of him while doing his own thing. And most of all, actively fights for feminism.”

 

I support feminism,” He states with an unchanging expression.

 

She stares at him in disbelief and throws her arms up in frustration. “This conversation is over.”

 

I also don't give two s about what other people think of me while doing my own thing,” He adds with a mischievous grin.

 

Just then, the buzzing of the front door interrupts their beginning heated banter.

 

OVER!” She shouts, shooting him a warning look.

 

This is possibly the worst day ever,” Jongdae whines with an evident frown as soon as he sets foot in the kitchen.

 

Don't you have Kyungsoo to lament to?” Sehun responds snarkily, “We're trying to have a conversation here.”

 

Bambi instantly glares and threatens to hit him. Clearly, this isn't the time to be mocking their friend. He looks genuinely and utterly sad.

 

I do. But he left early for his date,” He sighs as he joins them by the kitchen counter and lays his head on the top panel defeatedly.

 

The tables have turned,” Sehun remarks snidely with an unchanging expression.

 

Bambi gestures for him to zip his mouth before she rips him apart then and there. Why does he have to be inappropriate at a time like this? Jesus Christ.

 

Minah and I broke up,” Jongdae finally reveals while staring down at the floor.

 

What?? Why??????” Bambi questions shocked. He was doing so good for the past three months. What ed up reason could it be this time?

 

She hates pizza.”

 

Sehun immediately snorts at his ridiculous statement.

 

Although that strangely seems like a valid reason to break up on my part, there must be a bigger reason as to why you guys ended it.” Bambi offers Jongdae a comforting pat on the back.

 

She wanted me to meet her family,” He says in a dejected tone.

 

Oooh... I'm sorry, man.” Sehun pats him twice on the back before setting aside his and Bambi's dirty dishes on the counter. He heads over to the sink to wash them, but continues to listen on.

 

But that's a good thing!” Bambi suddenly slaps Jongdae's back, a bit annoyed by his confession.

 

His eyes finally meet hers as he winces at the painful strike she gave him. “Bambs, we've been dating for three months. What is she? In a rush to get married or something?”

 

She lets out a gasp of disbelief and rolls her eyes. “Just because she wants to introduce you to her family doesn't mean she wants to get married. She probably just wants you guys to be serious.”

 

Another obligation that I really don't want to get myself into.” He raises his arms up defensively.

 

Ugh, whatever. You're hopeless.” She sends him a disgusted look.

 

If it was you, would you have wanted to be introduced to the family THAT soon?”

 

She stays silent for a moment, not wanting to answer the question. Would she or wouldn't she? “I don't know. Would you stop sticking your into unexpected inanimate objects when you're drunk?”

 

I rest my case,” Jongdae concludes with a triumphant smile. “You see, in our little group, the only people capable of succeeding in the serious relationship conquest are Kyungsoo and Amber. The rest of us are scared little rats who have yet to find actual meanings in our lives.”

 

Hey, at least I TRIED being in a serious relationship,” Sehun interjects.

 

Same here,” Bambi agrees.

 

Jongdae looks at the two loftmates back and forth impatiently. “You know what, you both,” He curses through gritted teeth, “I'm gonna die alone.”

 

Don't be silly. You're NOT.” She pats his head gently.

 

But I don't have a date for Valentine's. If I can't find a date in the most love and lust filled day of the year, then when can I?” He pouts as he wraps his arms around her waist and hugs her stomach.

 

Bambi widens her eyes at his sudden clingy behavior, but stands still.

 

Who cares? I don't too. We can just chill in your apartment,” Sehun suggests, holding in a scoff at the sight behind him.

 

Like pathetic losers?” Jongdae says as he lets go of Bambi and meets his eyes.

 

If you want to call it that...” Sehun shrugs.

 

Okay. Thanks, man.” He gets up from his seat and gives the younger one a back hug. “I'll see you later.”

 

Sure...” Sehun says bewildered as he and Bambi watch Jongdae trudge his way out of the loft.

 

...anyway...” Bambi starts while shaking off her baffled state. “I have to get ready for my date.”

 

You have a date?” Sehun whips his head at her direction.

 

Yeah. Amber set me up with one of her acquaintances a few days ago. Supposedly, he's a photographer who does really well,” She explains slightly nervous, “Fingers crossed he's not a psychopath or an .”

 

I'll include my toes,” He chuckles as he wraps up his dish washing.

 

She squints her eyes at him, suspicious of his encouraging comment. “Are you okay, head?”

 

Yeah...”

 

You're gonna prank me, aren't you?”

 

What? No! Of course not!” He exclaims at her doubtful notion.

 

A staring contest ensues between the two of them. Each not wanting to admit defeat, feeling like their pride is on the line.

 

I promise you. No pranks, little one,” Sehun proclaims, drawing an 'X' on his chest with his finger.

 

The gesture relieves her a bit, but she remains suspicious. “Fine,” She huffs as she walks off to get ready.

 

After a few steps, she looks back at him still skeptical. She starts walking again and after a second or two, stops to stare at him. Though the wait is longer, her distrust towards him diminishes. She finally exits the room for real and skips away.

 

The minute she's out of sight, he laughs at how silly she's acting. “Such a weirdo.”

 

The next couple of hours goes by in peace, just as Bambi wants it to be. Amber did tell her that the guy she set her up with is exactly her type. Considering it's been a few years since her last visit to the oh so vibrant dating scene, she really doesn't want to screw this up.

 

You're up. Roommate duties.”

 

After keeping herself locked in her bedroom, trying to construct the perfect outfit and makeup look, she finally emerges into the living room rather uneasy.

 

Sehun's eyes briefly dart her way, but he couldn't help taking a second look, mesmerized for a moment. “Oh... where are you guys going?”

 

The park? I think. And then we're gonna go ahead and have dinner after I guess.” She spins around slowly, too nervous to even notice he's been staring way too long. “Do I look okay? It's not too girly or--? I haven't been to a proper date in awhile. Do I look presentable?”

 

He finally comes to his senses and decides to , “Well, no sign of any eye crud so...”

 

You really aren't going to get over my eye crud, aren't you? Why don't you just go sleep with it like every other thing you're fond of?” She snaps annoyed while placing both her hands on her hips.

 

I would if they weren't hanging around your eyes all the time,” He snickers.

 

Piece o' ,” She sneers, stomping out of the room.

 

It's nice. You look nice, okay? Happy?” He quickly admits and she stops on her tracks.

 

As she slowly turns his way again, she questions, “Just nice?”

 

Cute. Feminine. Stylish,” He retorts, avoiding any eye contact.

 

She lets out a sharp sigh and rolls her eyes. “You're useless.”

 

You look FINE, okay?” His voice raises a bit as he mumbles to himself, “Even if you wore rags, you'd still look beautiful.”

 

What?” She demands, not hearing what he said.

 

As if on cue, the all too familiar ringing of the doorbell echoes in the apartment.

 

Oh God...” Bambi lets out a long sigh, trying to calm her nerves. Despite her efforts, her heart starts beating faster and her palms sweat profusely. She suddenly jumps up and down to get rid of the jitters attempting to take over her body.

 

Being a mere observer in all this, Sehun tilts his head at her fascinated. Rather amused at her behavior, he nears her and playfully pushes her towards the front door.

 

She immediately shoots a glare up at him, but shifts her gaze at the object of her anxiety. She nibbles on her bottom lip with much hesitance; unnecessary thoughts suddenly popping in her head, trying to make her back out of all this.

 

He's here. He's here. He's here.

 

What if I look stupid? What if I look desperate? If he passes my standards, will I pass his?

 

God, am I sweating too much? What if I leave disgusting pit stains on my dress? Did I even remember to roll some deodorant up there? Why must humans smell like after extracting water out of themselves? Water doesn't have a smell... so why?!?!?!?!?

 

Calm down, Bambi.” Sehun's deep and soothing voice snaps her back into reality. He turns her around and places both his hands on each of her shoulder. As he looks straight into her eyes, he reveals softly, “You look beautiful.”

 

Her eyes flutter and stare back at him surprised. “Thanks,” She squeaks, feeling her heart gradually calming down. “I guess I'll see you later, huh? Have fun doing whatever with Jongdae.”

 

He chuckles as he pokes her nose twice. “Don't come home too late, little one.”

 

She tilts her head at him and makes a face. “Sure, dad.” She proceeds to take a few steps forward before turning back to him.

 

Go get 'em,” He whispers encouragingly, despite feeling uneasy inside.

 

She grins at his soft yet hopeful proclamation and waves goodbye before finally leaving the loft.

***

All of Bambi's worries and doubts towards her date (and even herself) were shattered as soon as they met. She couldn't utter a single word when her eyes fell upon his.

 

Amber must really love her, because every single ideal characteristic that Bambi wanted in a man, her date had. He was tall, slim but muscular, and had the eyes of an angel. His heart melting, butterfly stomach inducing smile along with his dimples were an added bonus and Bambi had to scold herself many times to control her all too complicated ual urges. He then introduced himself as Lee Wongeun and that managed to keep her snatch intact. Every time her mind ventured into risque thoughts about him, she'd remind herself that his name sounded like royal buffoon and that isn't a pretty name to scream in bed.

 

So, how long have you been an editor in DestinAsia?” He asks as they stroll side by side on the neatly bricked path in the park.

 

Three...four years? Fourth year this year. How about you?” She answers, feeling a bit relaxed after spending quite some time together. “I mean, how long have you been taking photographs?”

 

He thinks about it for a moment. “As a career? I've kind of lost count.”

 

What about in general?” She offers.

 

Ten years...?” He estimates.

 

Wow.”

 

He chuckles at her genuine reaction. “I've always found everything fascinating, especially those you wouldn't even take a second look at. Things don't have to be extraordinary to be beautiful, even the ordinary can be beautiful.”

 

Wicker Park!” She bubbles with a bright grin.

 

All of a sudden, the almost blinding flash from his polaroid camera startles her and she stares at him with widened eyes.

 

Sorry. I just...you were so excited and the way your lips just...” He explains with a sheepish smile as he speechlessly gazes at her for a second or two. “For the record, you're really pretty, so I can't exactly help myself.”

 

That's a bit of a stretch. But thank you.” She gives him a small smile and continues, “You know, you don't have to compliment me. Girls don't expect for people to praise them all the time. At least for girls like me.”

 

No, I really mean it. You should give yourself more credit,” He says, flashing a sincere smile, “I'd take thousands of pictures of you today if I could, but I don't have enough film.”

 

Ironic... for a photographer,” She jokes, holding back a snort.

 

He lets out an amused chortle, wanting to continue the verbal jousting, but suddenly spots a hotdog stand. “You want one?” He asks, feeling a bit hungry himself.

 

Sure.” She shares an appreciative smile as he walks on ahead.

 

As he lines up by the stall, she looks around the park, rather enchanted at the sunny but cool weather. There are all sorts of people visiting and enjoying the place: dog owners trying to catch up to their pets who are running all over the clean cut grass, friends that are playing frisbee and laughing about who's the worst at catching, parents watching their little toddlers revel in the immense playground not too far away, lovers taking a nap under the trees and others having a carefree date in a trendy café.

 

Her gaze lasts longer at the café and she notices a familiar face. Is that... Sehun??? She thinks, squinting her eyes towards the couple sitting out front.

 

Snorting to herself at the sight, she rolls her eyes at the fact that her loftmate managed to snag himself a girl on the last minute after all. No date, my . He's got a hot-- She blinks twice, trying to make sure she's seeing what she's seeing.

 

How...? That all too memorable intimidatingly beautiful face. That all too perfect unrealistically smooth blonde hair. That nasty ing insect of a tattoo. This can't be...

 

Sehun and...her? What kind of sick, twisted fate is this?????? Knots start to form in her stomach as she feels her heart slowly sinking.

 

Hey, are you alright?” Wongeun's voice seems so distant to her, but it snaps her back into reality.

 

Hm?” She attempts to put on a composed front while thinking up of an excuse.“Yeah, I just—I thought I saw a friend.”

 

Oh,” He nods understanding and hands her snack, “Here's your hotdog.”

 

Thanks,” She quietly responds as she nibbles on her food a bit. Her eyes slowly go back to where they were staring from before. But as soon as she realizes that Wongeun had started walking ahead, she looks away and follows behind him.

 

The rest of the date takes a better turn as Wongeun manages to shift Bambi's attention elsewhere. After munching on their snacks and talking a bit more, they have dinner at a quiet travel-themed restaurant. The pleasant air from before she spotted Sehun with an unexpected girl returns. The two chat and laugh the night away until it's finally time for Wongeun to take Bambi home.

 

So...” She starts as they stop right in front of her apartment door.

 

I had a really great time. I hope we can do this again soon.” He beams like the biggest ball of sunshine in the world.

 

Me too,” She agrees, returning his smile, “Thank you...for today.”

 

Just one thing. May I...” His voice trails off as he slowly leans towards her.

 

Bambi stays still, knowing exactly what he's about to do.

 

As their mouths touch for a brief moment, she flutters her eyes closed, wanting to revel in his soft and sweet lips.

 

When the cold air finally indicates the end of their kiss, she keeps silent and gazes at him with a small smile. “Good night,” She softly says.

 

Good night, Bambi.” He waves shortly while returning her smile.

 

Afraid of what she might do if she extends her time standing there, she hastily goes in the loft without another word. She lets a long breath out and tries to process everything that's just happened.

 

That was a good date, right? Good date.

 

That kiss was phenomenal too.

 

So why are you standing here having a ing panel discussion in your head about whether it was good or not?

 

Nothing. I just...it's been a long time hasn't it? I didn't--

 

Admit it. Admit the truth, Bambi. We both know you're lying.

 

No.

 

It's Sehun and that girl.

 

No!

 

It's Sehun and that girl and the fact that you're a tad... speaking of... where IS Sehun?

 

She finally walks up to the living room and kitchen: no sign of Sehun. She then peeks at his bedroom: also no Sehun; the roof terrace: zero Sehun.

 

Sighing sharply to herself, she returns to the living room once more and slumps on the couch while chucking her ballet flats wherever her hand pleased. She frowns at the harmless TV in front of her and gets lost in her thoughts again.

 

He's probably plowing her in some hotel like you told him to.

 

And that's good, right?

 

Or maybe he brought her here and she was like 'nah, bruh' knowing the place all too well, so they went to a hotel.

 

Which is still...okay...right?

 

...” She mutters through gritted teeth.

 

It's not like it's Sehun and some girl I don't know. It's Sehun and Aaron's ex-lover.

 

Does she just come after every man that lives with me? What is her deal, really?

 

God, why are you making such a fuss about it?! It's not like they knew each other beforehand. It's just a coincedence.

 

A way too ing eerie coincedence...

 

Oh God...” Bambi grabs ahold of her hair and sighs to the heavens,” Why are you doing this to me?!”

 

Ugh... but I shouldn't care THAT much, right?

 

I mean, it's just Sehun...

 

I mean like...wouldn't I feel the same way for Jongdae or Kyungsoo?

 

I WOULD but...

 

But what?

 

 

You know what? Sleep. Sleep it the off. Why even is Sehun giving you a headache this late in the evening?

 

Because I'm scared.

 

Scared? Scared of what?

 

That he isn't the person I thought he was...

 

She frowns as she bites her nails from anxiety.

 

I trust him... I trust him...” She repeats to herself, “I trust him...”

 

Sehun may be an annoying person to be around half the time, but he's also one of the most reliable people she's ever met and an amazing friend.

 

She later finds herself recalling their memories together so far while she waits for him to come home. It isn't long until her eyes give in to the slumber that she's been depriving herself of despite him not arriving that night.