Chapter 15

Strictly Platonic

Just as fast as Christmas came, so did New Year's Eve. Granted that they were only a week apart, Bambi found it hard to believe that she actually invited her loftmate down to her family's house. And it wasn't helping that her stupid brain kept pestering her about the reason behind it. She knows for a fact that she doesn't pity Sehun in any way, but why else would she have asked him to tag along in the first place? They weren't in an intimate relationship and friends don't usually invite other friends to celebrate New Year's with them and their family; at least for boy and girl friendships. The rare exception would be a childhood friend aka Kyungsoo, but no. She's bringing Sehun, of all people.

 

And to think her mom badgered her about him when she called to inform of the additional guest a few days before. She's afraid that when she gets to the house, her ever so persistent mother would insist upon a relationship beyond platonic, which of course isn't the case at all.

 

As she's about to get in the driver's seat, she peers over at Sehun who's holding a bunch of flowers she didn't even notice him buy earlier.

 

Is it okay if I drive first?” He asks in a serious tone. “There's a place I want to drop by for a bit.”

 

Sehun, if this is another ploy to trick me by driving to the nearest bubble tea shop and force feeding me whatever flavor you choose, then please cut the crap and let me take the wheel,” Bambi retorts sassily as she places a hand on her hips.

 

He chortles at her irritated answer. “It's not.” Shaking his head, he continues, “I wish it was, but it's not.”

 

She looks at him hesitantly for a few seconds before sighing in defeat. “Okay, fine.”

 

They exchange places and hop in the car hastily.

 

And please. Force feeding? I know that you secretly like them. I only feed you the best.” He scoffs her way as he carefully places the flowers in the backseat and puts his seat belt on.

 

She wrinkles her nose up at him irritated as she does the same. “Just start the car before I change my mind.”

 

The ride starts out with cheeky banter, but later on becomes a mini One Direction karaoke session. Although Sehun is reluctant at first, it turns out that he knows the lyrics well, maybe even better than Bambi. He does purposely make mistakes just so he wouldn't endure her teasing, but he couldn't help singing with much more 'proficiency' than her.

 

Who's the avid 'Directioner' again?

 

For a moment, he forgets why he's the one driving and not her. But the minute his eyes dart at the rear-view mirror, the bouquets of carnations on the backseat reminds him of his detour. As he sighs with an aching heart, he takes the next turn and grows quiet each passing second.

 

Bambi is rather taken aback by his sudden change of behavior. She chooses not to ask and instead, gets lost in the scenery outside the car window. But soon enough, the hustle and bustle of the city turns into still and eerily tranquil greenery.

 

Don't tell me... She thinks, seeing gravestone after gravestone and a couple of mausoleums.

 

The vehicle slowly comes to a stop and she could do nothing but stare ahead.

 

Today is the twenty-first death anniversary of my parents,” Sehun starts with a short sigh. “And this...is where they were buried.”

 

Bambi offers no verbal reply, but nods slowly.

 

You don't have to go with me if you don't want to. They are my parents after all, not yours.” He gives her a reassuring smile, seeing her nervous state.

 

That bubble tea doesn't sound too bad right now, does it?” He jokes.

 

She chuckles at his remark, finally loosening up a bit. “Is it okay?”

 

Of course. This is my thing. You don't need to get yourself caught up in it.”

 

No. I meant... is it okay for me to go with you?”

 

He looks at her surprised. “Well, yeah. But...are you sure?”

 

She nods and turns to meet his eyes. “You're my friend. It would be quite ty of me if I didn't go with you.”

 

He shares an appreciative smile. Although he told her the opposite, he was secretly hoping she'd go with him. Seho not being able to come is enough of a disappoinment. So frankly, he couldn't be more grateful to her. The invitation to celebrate New Year with her and her family still seems surreal to him. He isn't so sure about the reason behind it, but even if it is pity, it's still a huge step for her.

 

He grabs the flowers in the back and gets out of the car in a jiffy. He doesn't know for how long, but Bambi is standing on the cemented path hopping up and down while blowing white smoke out of .

 

You alright there?” He chuckles, stopping right next to her.

 

She nods as she exhales more white smoke. “Just a bit cold is all.”

 

They then walk in silence, Bambi slightly trudging behind.

 

The last time she visited a cemetery was in high school and she couldn't even clearly recall what happened that day. While Sehun visited every year, she had the audacity of completely forgetting her late grandmother's name.

 

Hey mom, hey dad,” Sehun greets two intricately designed tombstones and puts down the bouquets of carnations in each grave, “Seho's not here this year again. I hope you understand.”

 

Bambi stays quiet as she reads the text on the gravestones in front of them. Lee Joohyun. Oh Suwon.

 

I brought a new friend though,” He chirps as he puts his arm around her, “This is Bambi. She's my roommate and little one.”

 

Her eyes widen as she slowly looks at him incredulously. Seeing that he's solely focused on his parents, she reverts her attention back to the tombstones.

 

Hi Mr. and Mrs. Oh. It's nice to finally meet you,” She starts awkwardly, unsure of what's supposed to be said in such situations, “I hope I'm not intruding.”

 

Of course you aren't, little one.” He ruffles her hair playfully. “I've never visited them alone.”

 

Oh?”

 

Up until Seho was eighteen, we used to come here together every year,” He explains, “After that, I visited with either Chanyeol or Jongin.”

 

For some reason, she suddenly wonders about why he hasn't mentioned his ex. But she decides to shake the thought off and a bit, “And this year, you have me! Aren't you lucky?”

 

Instead of teasing her back, he pokes her nose playfully with a smug smile.

 

She immediately scrunches her nose up in annoyance and furrows her eyebrows.

 

Anyway! You'll be happy to know that this little one invited me over to her family's home for New Year's! Isn't that great?” He bubbles, turning back to his parents' graves, “Would've been better if you guys were here, but I'll be alright. Don't worry.”

 

He drawls on in the same positive tone, “Oh and in case you're wondering where Seho is, I think Papua New Guinea. Something to do with kasa--kasa--kawa--kawaii... something to do with the birds over there.”

 

Bambi, being a mere observer in all this, tries to bite back a laugh.

 

And yes, Nichole and I broke up. Granted that she never really visited...” His voice suddenly trails off, but he perks up again after a few seconds, “Anyway, you probably know all about the updates I've just given you, but hey, I'm your kid. You're obligated to listen to what I say even if you've heard it a hundred times.”

 

She couldn't help but grin widely at his last remark. She completely forgot that Sehun isn't just her roommate and friend, he's also someone's son. She feels weird seeing this side of him, but at the same time, she feels glad. Glad that he isn't this one dimensional person trying to keep up with a certain image and glad that he allowed her to witness all of it without any pretense.

 

Belated Merry Christmas though and advanced Happy New Year!” He cheers, throwing his arms up with glee and whispers, “I love you both.”

 

And in a matter of seconds, a wave of silence engulfs them.

 

Bambi slowly looks at him worried. She could swear for a moment his eyes turned somber.

 

He quickly restrains himself of showing more emotion, knowing that her attention is still on him.

 

As if having a mind of its own, her hand suddenly grabs ahold of his. Taken aback by her own actions, she freezes momentarily. But as soon as she recovers from the shock, she gazes up at him, smiling the most sincere and warmest smile she's ever given anyone.

 

His eyes widen at the sudden and unusual gesture, but he doesn't let go.

 

She squeezes his hand lightly and looks back at the tombstones.

 

Neither of them utters a word, knowing well that in such a moment, nothing really needs to be said.

***

One would think that the car ride after would be horrific. But unexpectedly, the journey is more comfortable and joyous than before. There seems to be a nonverbal contract between them to never talk about the little moment they shared in the cemetery.

 

As Bambi pulls up by the driveway of her own home, an excited smile forms on her lips. It's been so long since she's visited and nothing ever really beats the house you grew up in.

 

Wow,” Sehun says, gaping at the sight in front of him.

 

Well, it's not 'Sandara Park mansion wow',” She counters, getting out of the car.

 

He quickly follows. “No, but it's cozy. I like it.”

 

The Villavieja residence is a pretty standard middle class home. The roof is a milky chocolate brown and the rest under it is beige with the exception of the garage door, which is white. There's a small patch of green in front of the house itself and a palm tree that appears to be out of place. In every way, it's nothing like Sandara's mansion, but it definitely oozes the definition of the word 'home'.

 

She sends him an incredulous look, but smiles the instant her nose gets a whiff of a familiar scent. “Ah, the glorious smell of the sea!” She proclaims, giddily skipping to the front door of her home.

 

He tilts his head towards her direction amused by her behavior and follows behind.

 

Slowly opening the front door, she tiptoes inside and uneasily announces, “I'm home!”

 

OUR BABY!!!” A silvery, sweet voice exclaims from a certain distance.

 

Oh, dear God,” Bambi mumbles to herself, knowing well who it is.

 

Sehun only snorts at her reaction, looking forward to what's going to happen next.

 

Oh, honey!! Let me look at you.” Bambi's mom finally comes into view and she hurries over her daughter. After hugging and kissing her with utmost affection, she looks her up and down. “Have you been eating right?”

 

Yes. A little too much, actually,” Bambi replies not surprised by her mom's misconception towards her body.

 

Good! How was your trip? And oh, did you--” She freezes at the sight of the tall and handsome boy next to her child. “Who might you be, young man?”

 

This is Sehun, my roommate. The one I was talking to you about before on the phone?” Bambi reminds her, growing a bit impatient.

 

Aha, okay. JUST a roommate, pumpkin?” Her mom responds with the same unconvinced tone Bambi heard on their last phone conversation. She opens her arms towards him and immediately dives in for a hug and a kiss.

 

Sehun, although shocked beyond his core, manages to keep a composed expression on his face.

 

Yeah. And a friend.” Bambi couldn't believe she had to repeat herself over and over again for something as trivial as this. Just as I expected.

 

A strictly platonic one,” Sehun chimes in with a cheerful grin.

 

She glares up at him annoyed, but decides to keep shut.

 

Alright then. What a shame. Come, come.” Her mom gestures for them to follow her as she walks on ahead. “Bree's here already. She's also brought a boytoy.”

 

Bambi throws her arms up in discontent with widened eyes. “Sorry,” She mouths to him and he only shrugs in reply.

 

Baby!!!!!!” Someone shrieks as soon as they arrive in the living room.

 

Being crushed in an almost suffocating hug by her older sister, Bambi complains, “What is wrong with everyone today?”

 

They're just excited to see you, princess.”

 

Bambi's eyes light up at the familiar deep voice. “Daddy!!!!!” She squeals as she shoves her sister aside to tackle hug her father.

 

My, my. Someone misses me,” He remarks with a chuckle.

 

She grins and finally lets go of him. “How was Switzerland?”

 

Great. Extremely cold. Julianna sends her regards,” He replies as a mischievous smile creeps up his mouth, “And also some chocolates.”

 

She claps excitedly at the thought of yummy Swiss sweets. It seems to be everyone’s favorite, but she's convinced that no one in the world loves Swiss chocolates more than her.

 

Just as she's about to get lost in the thoughts of the luscious goodness she'll receive later in the night, she suddenly remembers she came here with a guest.

 

Oh! Right! This is um...Sehun. My roommate.” She dashes off next to him, feeling rather sheepish.

 

Really??” Bree sarcastically utters with a fake innocent smile.

 

Bambi instantly glowers towards her direction, nonverbally telling her to pipe down and shut up.

 

What a strapping young lad. Welcome to casa de Villavieja!” Her dad grins warmly at him with open arms.

 

Thank you. It's nice to meet you all,” Sehun timidly says.

 

Oh, don't be shy! A friend of our darling deer daughter is also a friend of ours!” Bambi's mom gazes at him adoringly and pinches both his cheeks. “Look at you, all handsome!”

 

How come my boyfriend wasn't welcomed the same way he was?” Bree sourly comments.

 

I welcomed him just fine, honey,” Their mother replies, looking at her and then averting her eyes to the man standing next to her, “Forgive my daughter's whiny behavior, Enrique.”

 

Dad didn't,” Bree points out, folding her arms across her chest.

 

He's a potential husband. Of course, I'm going to turn the protective dad on.” Mr. Villavieja shrugs as he puts his arm around his youngest daughter's lanky visitor. “So Sehun, what is it that you do?”

 

1... 2... 3... Bambi counts in her head amused.

 

DAD!!!” Bree shouts irritated.

 

He ignores her by walking on ahead with Sehun and his wife to the dining room.

 

Although she was expecting it, Bambi widens her eyes at the sheer volume of her sister's cry. Here we go again. She watches as Bree follows the three, stomping like a neglected child.

 

She snorts at the sight and shifts her focus to the other guy in the room. “Nice to meet you, Enrique. Welcome to the family,” She whispers to Bree's handsomely tan boyfriend, “That is, if you end up marrying my sister.”

 

Don't mind if I do,” He chuckles with a surprisingly deep voice.

 

She looks up at him amused and laughs along as they walk to where the rest are.

 

The rest of the day progresses as it should. The men unexpectedly bond really well, although the oldest shows resistance towards Enrique. After dinner, most of them spend their time in the living room watching TV and having random conversations over a boring program. Bambi, on the other hand, makes it her mission to take a good nap in her old room. This nap turns into a long slumber though, because by the time she wakes up, it's at least thirty minutes before midnight.

 

Groaning to herself for being such a greedy sleeper, she stumbles about in her room to change into more comfortable clothes. When she arrives downstairs, all of her companions are nowhere to be found. She frowns, but proceeds outside to the backyard porch. In a distance, she spots her mom, Enrique, Bree, and Sehun waving sparklers on the beach.

 

Morning, slugger.”

 

Her dad's voice makes her jump, but she ends up laughing. “So annoying!!”

 

He chortles as she takes a seat next to him. “So...what's really going on, sweetie?”

 

She looks at him confused by the sudden question.

 

With you and your roommate.”

 

We're JUST friends, dad.” She gives him a knowing glance and folds her arms across her chest.

 

Yeah and strictly platonic ones I heard.” He snorts.

 

She throws her arms up in defeat and frustration. “What's wrong with emphasizing on the label?!”

 

It's a bit of a stretch.”

 

She only huffs in annoyance in response, not wanting to go into the topic further.

 

He chuckles at her childish behavior, but turns serious at a sudden thought. “I know what Aaron did,” He confesses with a remorseful sigh.

 

She says nothing at first, frozen in place. How could--? Did he just--? Didn't I--?? I—no, this is impossible. I swore myself to never tell them about Aaron.

 

What?” She manages to ask, barely a whisper.

 

Amber told me,” He sighs again with a frown.

 

It had been awhile since the revelation, but there never seemed to be an appropriate time to talk to her about it. His wife wanted to drop it and continue living with the Aaron they thought they knew, but he couldn't. For the sake of their daughter, he couldn't.

 

Now I know we shouldn't be speaking ill of the dead, but... I should've given that bastard a piece of my mind when I had the chance.”

 

Dad...” With several thoughts running through her mind, she couldn't bring herself to meet his eyes.

 

What you must've been through...” He turns to her with sad expression. “Keeping all that in and dealing with it all on your own. My poor, sweet baby girl.”

 

She sighs, letting the tears fall out of her eyes. “But I'm okay,” She reassures, finally looking at him.

 

You might be now, but you weren't.” He caresses her cheeks and wipes her tears with his thumbs. “And I'm so sorry that I couldn't be there for you.”

 

Bambi bites her lips, trying to stop the unlimited sad droplets coming from her eyes. “It's okay, dad. I'm fine.”

 

Fine doesn't erase the fact that he hurt my precious daughter.”

 

She forces a smile, wanting to assure him that she's alright, that she's moved on. It only hurt that he had to find out about it and worry himself over her. “Silly. People get hurt all the time, don't they? I'm stronger than you think. I AM your daughter after all.”

 

He cracks a smile as he pulls her in for a warm embrace. “Always have and always will,” He whispers and kisses her forehead.

 

My, my. You've grown into something I've never imagined.” He gazes at her lovingly.

 

And what is that?”

 

A warrior.”

 

Tears start to fill her eyes again, but this time of joy, as a smile forms on . “I can still be a princess too, right?” She comments playfully.

 

That's the best part! You can be whoever you want to be. Just as you are. My little warrior and princess who also happens to be part cat, I think.” He her head and chuckles.

 

She wrinkles her nose in annoyance and whines, “Daaad...”

 

Alright, okay,” He concedes as he changes the subject, “I'm not too keen on that Sehun character though.”

 

Are you, now?” She asks, feeling accomplished that her dad somehow agrees with her sentiments regarding her loftmate.

 

Kidding!” He laughs and shakes his head. “I love the guy! He's great!”

 

Lovely,” She remarks flatly with a sour expression.

 

He's...”

 

She proceeds to roll her eyes. “Different?”

 

A breath of fresh air.” He grins.

 

Really.” She keeps a straight face on, not believing what she's hearing.

 

Oh...when you see it--”

 

I'd rather not.”

 

Always so fussy.” He makes a face at her.

 

Sweetheart!!! We've only got fifteen seconds until midnight!!!” Mrs. Villavieja screeches not too far away. “Bambi! Stop talking to your father!”

 

She furrows her eyebrows and sends her a look of disbelief. As her mother gestures for them to hurry up, she throws her hands up in frustration. She and her dad then obey the impatient woman's command and proceed to walk to shore to watch the fireworks with the rest.

 

You're going to have to forgive your mother. She loves New Year's kisses.” He shakes his head and chuckles. “Also every other kiss I give her to—”

 

OKAY, dad. I'm gonna have to stop you there, 'cause you know...too much info.” She rubs her temples, feeling a headache coming on.

 

He beams at her mischievously and pats her on the back.

 

As they meet up with the everyone else, her dad saunters over to her mom and pulls her close. On another side, Bree wraps her arms around Enrique's waist while whispering dangerously close to his ear. Sehun and Bambi merely exchange smiles as they wait for the anticipated mini pyrotechnics show.

 

Five! Four! Three! Two! One!” All of them chant in unison. “Happy New Year!!!”

 

Bambi claps and smiles at the amazing display occuring in the night sky. Just as she's about to greet her family properly for the New Year, she only finds the two couples kissing.

 

O...kay... She thinks, feeling an uncomfortable lurching in her stomach.

 

She and Sehun look at each other, trying to pretend that they have not just been thrown into a weird whirlwind of a situation.

 

Awkward friendly hug?” Bambi asks with an unsure smile.

 

He laughs and almost immediately, pulls her in for a embrace.

 

Although surprised that he dove in too quickly, she manages to wrap her arms around his back.

 

Huh... She thinks remaining in the same position. His scent now intoxicating her senses and the warmth of their bodies countering all possible logic. This kind of feels nice...? Maybe..? Not...?

 

Roommates, my foot,” Bree snaps, interrupting her sister's thoughts.

 

Bambi and Sehun give her confused looks, but let go of each other.

 

Alright, who's up for some champagne?” Their dad hollers, fending off the growing awkward atmosphere.

 

Champagne would be perfection!” Enrique exclaims too loudly and the rest send him a peculiar look.

 

Perfection it is... then...” The jolly old man furrows his eyebrows, feeling rather stupid that he had to say it out loud himself.

***

After having a fair amount of alcohol and a couple of good laughs with the family, Bambi feels the urge to go back to shore before turning in for the night. It's been ages since she last set foot on the same ground, so it only felt right to have a bit of alone time with the sea she knew all too well.

 

It satisfies her that she can only reflect upon happy thoughts at the moment. It seems to be a sign of her finally letting go and moving on from the past. No more crying over Aaron, no more wondering about what could've and what would've been. Being surrounded by some of the most cherished people in her life woke her up into a totally different reality and the ethereal feeling forming inside of her proved her further of such bliss.

 

She sighs in relief and glee as she stares at the calm water. At last...She thinks, taking all her surroundings in. Moments like these are something she always tries to remember whenever she has her down days. The ocean had that much of an effect on her.

 

Just as she's about to delve deeper into her thoughts, she feels someone plop next to her.

 

Hey!” She greets with a bright grin.

 

Hey, yo!” Sehun salutes and continues, “Now I know why you love the ocean so much.”

 

'Cause I practically grew up next to one? The more you know.” She laughs at his comment and decides to change the subject, “Having fun?”

 

He nods earnestly with a satisfied grin. “So much. Thank you.”

 

I'm glad you're enjoying the experience,” She proclaims with pride, “But it's not over. Not just yet.”

 

He looks at her eagerly, waiting for her to go on.

 

As per the New Year Villavieja family tradition, tomorrow, or later today rather, we are going to be abiding by dad's wishes,” She attempts to explain briefly, but he furrows his eyebrows, seeking for a more in-depth answer. “Every year, a member of the family kind of lays out a wish or a plan as to what we're going to do for the rest of the day as a unit. Last year, it was me, so we pretty much stuffed ourselves with pizza and ended up playing The Game of Life. Which is definitely a better and less toxic board game than say...Monopoly.”

 

Aahhh...” He nods finally understanding. “What about Christmas?”

 

We don't really have a tradition for Christmas. We didn't even get to celebrate it together this year, but I guess on the years that we do, we just try to keep our heads on the right levels.” She shrugs. “Something always ends up going wrong. Either my mom loses her temper over the most trivial thing like my dad's loud singing or dad sleeps way too much during the day itself, which by the way pisses my mother off even more, or my sister just cries all night for not being able to cook the perfect Christmas dinner.”

 

His eyes widen in disbelief. Those nice, calm people I just met? Are Bambi's accounts fake or exaggerated?

 

Then again, I did literally just meet them today.

 

My family's too weird. I'm aware of that,” She comments, studying the bewildered expression on his face.

 

In a good way, to be fair,” He adds with a genuine smile.

 

She peers at him suspiciously, but ends up tittering to herself. “The holiday stress just gets to us, you know? It's like presents here, gifts there. Food here, Christmas carol singing there. It's too much.” She waves dismissively and shakes her head at the thought. “So, it's not because we hate Christmas. We like it a decent amount and get into the hype, up until Christmas Eve comes.”

 

Reasonable,” He agrees as he continues in an easygoing tone, “I'm glad you invited me.”

 

I'm glad you accepted my all too tempting invitation.” She tilts her head at him and makes no effort to hide her giddy smile. Her tone then turns serious as she recalls where they stopped by earlier, “I know it must be hard for you. You didn't have to but--”

 

I wanted to. Something I had to do for myself,” He states, looking into the horizon.

 

They fall into silence, only listening to the calm crash of the waves. The sea perfectly filling the still air between them.

 

I know you were just one when they passed away but...” Bambi utters all of a sudden.

 

Wow. You just had to open your big, fat mouth, didn't you?

 

Is it so bad to ask? He seems troubled about it.

 

That's HIS business. If he's willing to share it, he obviously would've started talking by now.

 

She shakes her head snapping back into reality. “You know what? Never mind. I don't even know what I'm saying. I'm sorry. It's probably just the sleepy Bambi talking.”

 

No, no. It's okay,” He assures, “No one's ever really asked me about my parents... except Chanyeol and Jongin.” He adds with a chuckle, “And it's not exactly a hot topic you talk about on your first date.”

 

She guffaws at his joke. “Of course.”

 

And my ex...” He makes a face and exhales sharply. “Well, she's definitely a piece of work.”

 

Aren't all exes are?”

 

They both burst into fits of laughter.

 

But as soon as they get rid of their high, Bambi turns serious and finds the courage to ask, “What were your parents like?”

 

Playing it back in her head now, it sounded like a stupid question. He was one. What answer is she supposed to get from that? She wouldn't be surprised if he spat on her right then and there.

 

I don't remember them exactly. But I assume that they were good people, judging from the stories my brother told me. They were good people who met a cruel fate. All I remember really is the aftermath of the accident,” He replies simply.

 

Was that the reason why you never celebrated the holidays?”

 

AGAIN. WITH YOUR BIG MOUTH. YOU LITTLE--

 

Sehun nods. “Seho completely shut out the idea of New Year and even Christmas. So, I've always presumed that it wasn't that big of a deal.” He sighs and continues, “When we were at the orphanage, he would keep me away from the other kids and adults trying to give us presents. He said there was no gift worth accepting if it wasn't going to bring our parents back.”

 

She's expecting him to leave it at that, but he reveals more, “Then he turned eighteen and we left. Lived on our own. The fact still remained, at least to us, that Christmas and New Year didn't exist. No matter how festive the people around us got. I would always witness my friends get excited over it, but I wasn't even allowed to ask why, because it's supposedly not worth my time. Chanyeol and Jongin would even invite me to their places sometimes, but I had it ingrained in my mind that it should mean nothing to me.”

 

A bittersweet smile forms on his face as he recalls more of the foreboding past. “Life went on like that and the next thing I knew I was eighteen and Seho was all packed up and ready to leave. Said he had to travel and explore the world. Wanted to see what he was missing out on. So, it was just lil' ol' me for awhile and then I met--”

 

Nichole.”

 

He nods and furrows his eyebrows at a certain memory. “We were together for a year and a half and that one December, she just...wasn't there. Her little girl and I treated it like any other day. She said she liked it better than being with her grandma. I could see myself in her and how she was being deprived of a holiday that's considered one of the happiest experiences of your life. And I just asked myself, 'Why?' Why was this little girl in front of me not jumping up and down, waiting for Santa's present or singing Christmas songs really loud or asking for an advent calendar? Why is it that everyone around us s on the holidays including me? Did her mom not care? She's got one parent, but still... I did nothing. I was mad at Nichole, but who the hell was I to talk about stuff like that? I just...why couldn't I do anything?”

 

It's not your fault,” She whispers soothingly.

 

I know.” He buries his face in his hands, trying to stop himself from saying more, but to no avail. “It just got me wondering... what it would've been like if the accident never happened.” He quickly adds, “Seho's family, of course, and I love him and I'm grateful for everything he's done for me, but...”

 

It feels like something's missing.”

 

He sighs and scoffs, knowing that she precisely got it. “I sound like an absolute .”

 

You know what, for the first time, you actually don't,” She says and instantly their eyes meet.

 

Laughter fills the air and Sehun shakes his head from the absurdity of it all. The mood was literally serious a few seconds ago, but now it seems a little more lighthearted.

 

Bambi then continues with a small smile, “You sound like a normal human being feeling a certain way. And it's okay. It's okay for you to feel that way. You've gone through a lot. I may not completely understand, but...what happened then was beyond your control.”

 

What you CAN control is how you react to it. What kind of person you'll become. And as far as I know, you're doing well with that. You've managed to tolerate someone like me. Me!” She deliberately points at herself while making a face and he immediately laughs.

 

Even if your ex's daughter was deprived of the season to be jolly...” Her witty remark earns a chortle from him. “What matters is that she spent it with you and she was happy being with you.”

 

That's the person you've become. Look at you.” She pokes him playfully, but maintains her honest approach. “You're caring and funny and thoughtful and all sorts of wonderful and amazing... underneath all that douchebag exterior though.”

 

I'm touched.” He snorts.

 

She hits him lightly, but continues with utmost sincerity, “Even if your parents aren't here with you, I'm absolutely sure that they're beyond proud of you and Seho.”

 

A warm smile slowly forms on his lips. “Thanks, little one.”

 

She makes a face upon hearing her nickname.

 

And you know, you can always treat my family like your own,” She suggests, avoiding eye contact. “My parents seem to be weirdly fond of you, as much as it annoys me, and it doesn't really help that they've always wanted a son.”

 

And what exactly are Kyungsoo and Jongdae?”

 

Well, you know what they say. The more, the merrier.” She forces a smile. “But I guess you CAN be the 'treasured' son.”

 

He gives her an incredulous look.

 

She rolls her eyes at his bratty response as she explains, “Kyungsoo's the quiet, responsible, and squishy son, while Jongdae is the sociable, loud, kind of reckless and crazy son. And you--”

 

I get to be the treasured son?” His eyes light up at the thought.

 

Maybe,” She emphasizes. “Or you can be the peasant son. It could go both ways.”

 

Bambi...” He whines with an annoyed frown.

 

I'm joking.” Her eyes widen at his sudden childish behavior. “Look at you all pouty.”

 

But you are gonna have to ask dad,” She asserts with a smug smile.

 

What about mom?” He asks, already looking forward to becoming an illegal adoptive Villavieja child.

 

She doesn't really care about the label; just as long as she gets to have another 'son'.”

 

He chuckles, feeling warm and giddy inside. Who knew that someday he would actually meet the rest of the Villaviejas, let alone be a part of their family?

 

What would've happened if I stayed in the loft?” He wonders aloud, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

, probably,” She reminds him of his endless need to sleep with different women almost every night of the week.

 

Damn,” He replies sarcastically while squinting his eyes.

 

She furrows her eyebrows at the weird expression he's wearing and they both instantly fall into fits of laughter for what seems to be the millionth time that night.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

AN: 

I managed to finish one chap a day early, because I'm going to be attending Exo'rdium this weekend!!!! HEHEHEHE. Hope you enjoyed this late festive one! :D