Chapter 22

Strictly Platonic

Hmm...Bambs?” Kyungsoo calls from the driver's seat amidst the distinct excited chatter filling the vehicle.

 

The day of their summer outing swiftly arrives and each one is more than thrilled for the quality time they're spending together. Not only that, but it's also an opportunity to finally meet a couple of people they've been curious about: Kyungsoo's mystery girlfriend and Sehun's older brother.

 

Though the two 'guests of honor' are going to be joining them much later, the ultimate question still remains: what is a better moment to be formally introduced to the rest of them than in a relaxed and carefree environment like a summer vacation?

 

Nothing, really; since the next 'proper' event is Halloween and that seems to be months, even ages, away. Amber's birthday could've been a possibility, but that's too far away as well.

 

Mmm?” Bambi absentmindedly responds from the middle seat.

 

She quickly tries to flick Sandara off her, since the older girl has been blowing air near her ear for several minutes and it's gradually irritating her.

 

Sehun, who is sitting on the other side of Bambi, only watches them in amusement. He's finding it hard to believe that Sandara is the oldest one among the group, given that she has immature tendencies.

 

I HAVE seen you already,” Kyungsoo reveals.

 

Bambi lets out a sharp sigh, remembering his insistence last time. “We talked about this. It doesn't count.”

 

Yeah, it does. At least the one in my head right now does,” He argues while making sure to keep his eyes on the road. He further discloses, “That one time I caught you with Aaron.”

 

She freezes in her place with widened eyes as her mind flashes a particular memory. “Oh, dear God.”

 

Wait, WHAT??????????????” Sandara questions in a raised voice as she abruptly stops pestering Bambi.

 

Amber suddenly starts to whimper like a lost puppy. Seeing that she's sitting right next to Kyungsoo, she hits him on the shoulder as hard as she can. “We shouldn't be talking about this. and my dead brother don't mix well at this moment in time...or at any given occasion.”

 

So, I really am the only loser here who hasn't seen Bambi ,” Jongdae affirms from the backseat as he sends a dejected pout her way.

 

WILL YOU--?!” Bambi turns and grits her teeth at him impatiently. “I'm not an OBJECT, Jongdae. Stop treating me like some kind of o toy.”

 

What were you even doing?” Sehun asks without a thought.

 

Sehunnie, what else would she do with her boyfriend ?” Sandara replies, flashing an innocent smile.

 

His expression suddenly darkens and he decides to keep his mouth shut for the rest of the journey.

 

Ew,” Amber utters disgusted as she covers her ears.

 

I remember it clearly. You guys were on the couch,” Kyungsoo recalls.

 

LALALALALALA!” Amber exclaims, not wanting to hear anymore.

 

I should've been the one that caught them,” Jongdae murmurs with a grimace.

 

Stop being disgusting and to like a normal guy!” Bambi yells annoyed.

 

I can't be both, sweetheart,” He remarks, giving her an ironic smile.

 

Will everyone pipe THE down?!” Kyungsoo bellows after not being able to focus on his driving because of the commotion.

 

YOU STARTED THIS!” Bambi points out in an even higher octave than before.

 

He clears his throat awkwardly and continues in a sincere and calm tone,“For that, I would like to apologize.”

 

The next few hours are spent bickering, laughing, singing obnoxiously loud (courtesy of Sandara), and sleeping (led by Bambi) until they finally reach their destination. Since it's a rather isolated and quiet beach resort, there isn't much fuss with the amount of people. Getting settled in their rooms isn't any trouble either as they split into two: one room for the girls and one for the boys.

 

Kyungsoo, who's exhausted from the long drive, hits the sheets as soon as he spots the bed while Jongdae checks out the channels available on TV. The girls, on the other hand, are bouncing with high spirits and thinking up of all sorts of room service they can request, from the simple standard ones to the insane over-the-top ones.

 

But as fun as it is goofing around in their room, Bambi makes it her duty to visit the beach and 'say her greetings' properly. Surging with a severe amount of positive energy and emotion, she grins at the sight of the wide and endless blue in a distance. When she snaps out of her trance and sets foot on the sand, she notices a familiar figure not too far away. She smiles to herself, knowing exactly who it is, and tiptoes her way to the shore.

 

As she slowly inches near him, she pokes his back and proclaims with much conviction, “LOOK ALIVE!”

 

He jumps a bit and gapes at her startled. “Jesus Christ, Bambi. When'd you get annoying?!”

 

She then bursts into fits of laughter and sits next to him. “Hmm...let me see.” She pretends to ponder about it and continues, “When did you move in?”

 

HA-HA.” He makes a face and rolls his eyes.

 

She chuckles at his genuinely annoyed expression and proceeds to gaze at the sea before them. Taking a relaxed breath in and out, she emits a serene smile. The ocean truly never fails to lighten and lift her mood.

 

Several minutes fly by and they continue to sit in silence, as if the waves have more profound things to say.

 

Bambi then finally lets out a long sigh and continues to stare at the horizon. “Wongeun and I broke up.”

 

It had been awhile since they called it quits, but she couldn't bring herself to tell her friends, or anyone for that matter, about it. Now that she's in a place where she can think clearly, it just came out. She doesn't know why, but it feels oddly easy confessing such an intimate and somehow sad episode of her life to him.

 

What????” Sehun widens his eyes at her revelation and looks at her with concern.

 

She sighs again as she looks back at him and explains, “Mutual decision in a surprisingly mature discussion over coffee.”

 

Dreamy,” He remarks sarcastically and rolls his eyes.

 

She furrows her eyebrows and averts her gaze elsewhere. “It just... didn't feel...” Her voice trails off while she tries to search for the appropriate word in her brain.

 

Right?” He offers.

 

No... Like anything,” She clarifies, thinking back on the short-lived relationship, “He did. But I didn't. Poor guy definitely deserves better than me.”

 

He merely snorts at her reply. More like you do.

 

I did realize one thing though after all that,” She confesses, “That maybe I'm just not ready yet.”

 

Ready for...?” He asks curiously.

 

That type of person in my life,” She answers simply and continues, “Like I love how everything is right now, in this moment. I've got a loving family, awesome friends, a roof over my head, a job that's stressful yet meaningful. Maybe I'm just not ready to add someone to the equation yet, you know? It takes a lot, and I mean A LOT, to connect with someone, like genuinely connect with them. And to be wildly attracted to them at the same time and be completely yourself with them... and...” She hesitates for a bit, but says it anyway, “...have amazing with them.”

 

He chuckles at how adorable she's appearing. “Yeah, I get it.” He nods in understanding and assures, “You don't need to rush yourself, you know? Like every other wonderful thing in the world, it takes time. You shouldn't feel obligated to be ready. A day will come when you just... know. And you won't let anything hold you back from it either.”

 

She shares appreciative smile his way and chortles softly. “How did it come to this?”

 

What?” He furrows his eyebrows a bit confused.

 

You and me,” She replies as her smile grows wider, “When you waltzed in my apartment uninvited, never in a million years would I have thought I'd be having this very conversation with you. Funny, huh?”

 

How someone so annoying could be even the slightest bit of endearing... She mentally slaps herself, though her warm smile remains.

 

He nods and happily hums in agreement.

 

Anyway, enough serious chitchat.” She laughs, changing the subject. “Noticed you've been doing less clubbing lately.”

 

How'd you know?”

 

Well, for one, you don't wake up every other morning in an irritated mood because of a brain piercing hangover,” She deduces, “Plus, the women you mostly bring don't wear short dresses and high heels anymore...with an added bonus of smudged up smokey eye makeup.”

 

He chuckles at the 'detective work' she's done. “So, do you take notes or...?”

 

I'm an editor. I tend to notice details. Like second nature.” She shrugs coolly.

 

I hope they weren't too unkind with you,” He says in a genuine tone.

 

Nah.” She shakes her head, trying to recall her experiences with the girls one by one. “But most of them did pester me for your number.”

 

Not brand new information,” He comments cockily.

 

So arrogant. How do you even seduce all these women?” She pulls an appalled face.

 

Well, there's alcohol,” He starts jokingly.

 

Disgusting.”

 

And also, there's the cool and confident, 'I'm too good for anybody' charm I exude.” He flashes her a proud smile.

 

Shameless.” She narrows her eyes at him unimpressed.

 

At least I'm getting some action.” He suddenly frowns.

 

She scoffs at his low blow of an argument. “Too much action, if you ask me.” She proceeds to raise an eyebrow at his crotch. “Isn't your wilting or something?”

 

Not the last time I checked,” He says unfazed. “How about your ? Ain't a desert yet?”

 

off,” She snarls with a dangerous glare.

 

Before he could even utter a teasing reply, Sandara's voice screeches from a distance, “Hey, you sentimental imps! It's time to eat our ing hearts out!”

 

The two shoot her a weird look before getting up and heading to the quaint restaurant of the resort.

 

While enjoying both their lunch and dinner (which Jongdae insists should be called 'lunner') for the day, the usual topics and catch-ups arise. Amber, being the happy-go-lucky friend that set her best friend up with a great guy, asks Bambi how they're doing and that's when the latter finally spills the details of her breakup with Wongeun.

 

Can't say I didn't see it coming,” Sandara states in a know-it-all tone as she sips her cocktail and sends a knowing look to Sehun.

 

He immediately avoids her eyes and tries to focus on the discussion at hand.

 

So like, ZERO action the entirety of your relationship?” Jongdae asks Bambi.

 

Well, we made out, but that was it...” She shrugs with a sheepish smile.

 

Not even ing??????” He implores in a raised voice.

 

JONGDAE!” Amber instantly scolds with an irritated expression.

 

Despite that, Bambi answers his question by shaking her head.

 

Is he secretly a monk or something??” Jongdae whispers in disbelief.

 

Surprised he hasn't mentioned anything to me,” Amber mumbles.

 

Well, you two are acquaintances, not best buddies,” Kyungsoo pointedly reminds her.

 

She stays silent for a moment or two before bursting into a higher than expected shout, “I still don't understand! You broke up JUST because he wouldn't have with you? What's wrong with not having ????”

 

Hey, not all of us are trying to save it until marriage, you ,” Sandara snaps annoyed.

 

Amber, you're acting like you don't know me.” Bambi shares a look of disappointment as she continues, “ counts as something for me. If I can't ually connect with you, then how the hell are we supposed to progress as a couple?”

 

Yeah, but--” Amber begins to counter.

 

Let's say I did it his way and I waited until marriage and then we have ,” Bambi immediately interrupts, trying her best to keep her composure, “What if I don't like it? What if we just don't click? What if he's into things I would never dream of doing and I'm way overbearing for his taste???”

 

Ooh, you tell her,” Jongdae jokes with a mischievous smirk.

 

Bambi instantly makes a face at him as she focuses on Amber again. “AS I WAS SAYING...what if we're just not ually compatible? Then, we'd have to go through the trouble of divorce and that'd just be MORE awkward.”

 

Well, if you really love the person, wouldn't you compromise in order to be compatible?” Amber questions.

 

It doesn't work that way for some of us,” Bambi contends, “If you don't connect ually, you just don't. People shouldn't force certain preferences to other people if they're not into it.”

 

But I--”

 

It's not something you would understand and I'm not going to take that against you.” She sighs sharply. “I'm just biased. is another way for me to get to know my boyfriend and to express my love for him, okay? Some couples shower each other with gifts and some constantly reassure each other with words. I have . It just varies for every other person.”

 

Pindrop silence follows and everyone sits still.

 

Alright, you win,” Amber reluctantly huffs and continues quietly, “I just think it's such a waste. You two looked good together.”

 

And also, how come Sehun hasn't said a word since we started talking about Wongeun???” Sandara suddenly jeers while flashing an innocent smile at the younger man.

 

I'd rather not join in the thrilling discussion about my roommate's life, just like she doesn't like talking about mine,” He responds through gritted teeth and a forced smile.

 

You know what? For once, he's right,” Bambi agrees.

 

But the truth is, Sehun couldn't keep his mind off the fact that she openly expressed herself like that. What she said stuck to him. That is a way for her to both get to know her boyfriend better and to relay her love for them. He can only imagine what it'd be like to be in a more than platonic relationship with her. Sure, is somehow a fad in today's modern society, but not a lot of people will say that it's because they want to show you much they love you and seep through your soul in the process. He wonders how she would touch him, what she'd whisper just before they get into it, how'd she look into his eyes, how'd she moan, what'd she moan...

 

What exactly would drive her insane...

 

What would make her scream his name at the top of her lungs over and over...

 

How they'd endlessly explore each other's bodies...letting their instincts get the best of them...

 

He clears throat nervously, coming to his senses as he scratches the back of his neck. “We should dive in for a dip, shouldn't we?” He asks the rest, still feeling uneasy at the thoughts he's just had.

 

The infinity pool, which is only a couple of feet away, is miraculously empty. Though it isn't too surprising, given that they've been chatting for several hours and munching on the seemingly limitless amount of food; they're still excited that they won't have to crowd in a certain spot in the pool to give way to other people.

 

Hey, how about a round of chicken fight?” Jongdae suggests excitedly as he jumps in the cold water.

 

YES!” Sandara hollers with much fervor and points at Bambi. “Fight me!”

 

I um...” Bambi hesitantly says as her eyes darts towards Kyungsoo. He shakes his head furiously, already spotting someone who's set their eyes on her.

 

Come on, little one. I can carry you,” Sehun urges.

 

She avoids his gaze and bites on her bottom lip doubtfully. “Are you sure? My thighs are thick and I'm a little heavy...”

 

Really? THAT'S what you're worried about?” Kyungsoo snorts, subtly reminding her in his own way of the fact that Sehun's seen her half and he's about to have the back his head comfortably snuggling right at her crotch.

 

She furrows her eyebrows at him and makes a face.

 

It's fine! I work out. Why do you think I have all the time?” Sehun ignores Kyungsoo's snarky remark and persuades his roommate in a joking manner.

 

She scoffs and glares before uneasily getting in the pool with him in silence.

 

Sandara follows behind, but paddles and splashes ahead as soon as she notices the weird atmosphere between the loftmates.

 

Bambi wrinkles her nose in annoyance as she watches her older female friend head over to Jongdae.

 

Sehun then pokes his roommate on the back twice and she makes a face, remembering what she's supposed to do. As she takes a deep breath in and out, she finally gets around to sitting on his shoulders. He abruptly stands up for air and she yelps in surprise, grabbing his hair tight.

 

So, how does it feel, ey? Having a real man between your thighs,” He teases.

 

She suddenly blushes and hits him lightly on the head.

 

He was nowhere near her thighs to begin with, so that notion is invalid,” Sandara jests in a mocking tone as she hops on Jongdae's shoulders.

 

The rest burst into laughter.

 

Why do you always have to have a competition? You had one in the supermarket parking lot, now you're doing this.” Amber snorts, watching them in the pool with amusement.

 

Would YOU rather do it with me??” Sandara questions pointedly.

 

No.”

 

Then, there's your answer!” Sandara rolls her eyes and raises her arms up in frustration. “Now, one of you come here and be a referee or something.”

 

Kyungsoo wholeheartedly volunteers, setting the condition that he should be nowhere near the water. Though there are mild protests from Sandara and Jongdae, they eventually agree and start the match.

 

Oh my God!!!” Sandara shrieks, panting and glaring daggers at her opponent. “I forgot how much stronger you are than me, you freak!!!”

 

You asked for it,” Bambi coolly replies as she gives one last push before her friend splashes into the water. She and Sehun immediately cheer in victory and share high-fives with both hands.

 

Head's up!” He suddenly bubbles and throws her off his shoulders.

 

She screams in shock, feeling the cold water hit her back and everything else in a flash. When she comes up for air, her eyes instantly find Sehun and she splashes him with all her might. “You head!!!!”

 

I DID say, 'head's up', didn't I?” He retorts.

 

You kind of deserved it too,” Sandara huffs, pouting her way.

 

Before Bambi could utter a snappy reply, a familiar ringtone interrupts their starting banter.

 

Saved by the bell.” Amber mischievously smirks at Sehun.

 

He immediately grins at Bambi and quickly heads out of the pool before she can do anything else.

 

She watches him with annoyed eyes, but gives up as soon as Jongdae splashes her out of her rage. She then makes it her mission to torture the latter male for the next couple of minutes as payback. It isn't looking too good for her though, since Sandara decides to team up with him.

 

When her roommate finally gets off the phone, she notices the sour expression he's wearing. As if her body is being controlled by someone else, she gets out of the pool and nears him with utmost worry.

 

Hey, you okay?” She whispers.

 

Sehun sighs with pursed lips. “It was my brother. He can't make it.” He runs a hand through his hair. “Something about urgent business or whatever...”

 

Bambi frowns and offers a comforting pat on the back, knowing how much he was anticipating his brother's arrival.

 

He's still visiting though, right?” Sandara says in a positive tone.

 

I don't know...” He looks down, clearly crestfallen. “He hung up before I could ask.”

 

Silence overcomes them as the rest exchange concerned glances.

 

I'm just gonna um...” He starts as he gestures elsewhere, “I'm gonna get some air...”

 

Sure, honey. Take your time,” Sandara soothes softly.

 

Is he gonna be okay?” Amber whispers as soon as he walks away.

 

Yeah. He probably just wants to be alone right now,” Bambi replies with a sad frown, watching the dejected figure before them.

***

Hours passed and Sehun never came back. Everyone else assumed he was either walking around different parts of the resort sulking, or sleeping like a log in the boys' room. Since it was just down to two of them, Kyungsoo and Jongdae soon grew bored of the environment around the pool and decided to move elsewhere, whether it be the beach or their room. The girls, however, opted to hang around for a little bit before turning in for the night.

 

So, what's the real reason why you and Wongeun broke up?” Sandara questions suspiciously.

 

I told you. It was a mutual decision. wasn't there and my attraction to him was waning. He, in turn, understood and thought I was way too closed off,” Bambi answers like it had been something she rehearsed several times before.

 

That can't be it... can it?” Sandara huffs doubtfully as she sends Amber a knowing look.

 

The latter furrows her eyebrows, but ultimately gets around to asking her best friend, “Was he jealous?”

 

Bambi's heart suddenly skips a beat at the mention of the word. She sighs, hesitating about whether to tell them or not.

 

Got you. “Of who???” Amber prods.

 

Who else? Her hot roommate,” Sandara points out like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

 

How'd you know??” Bambi blurts out.

 

I just have great instincts for these types of situations.” Sandara shrugs happily with a triumphant grin.

 

Well, he wasn't ALWAYS like that. Like from the beginning. It started after Sehun's birthday party,” Bambi finally admits.

 

Sehun's birthday party?” Amber furrows her eyebrows, deep in thought. “Did something happen between you two?”

 

Why are you asking me? I'm the girl who can't remember when she gets piss drunk,” Bambi replies defensively.

 

Well, you DID go looking for him...” Sandara bites her tongue to prevent a giggle from coming out of .

 

What for?” Bambi ponders confused.

 

Because he's your handsome boy!” Sandara chirps while batting her eyelashes with glee.

 

God, I'm embarrassing,” Bambi murmurs, mentally facepalming.

 

Something must've happened if you did find him that night,” Amber reasons, “I'm not saying it's , but something did.”

 

Whatever it is, it doesn't really matter, does it?” Bambi says, convincing herself as opposed to her friends. “I mean, I was drunk. And Sehun obviously hasn't said anything about it, so it probably isn't a big deal.”

 

Probably,” Amber agrees as she continues, “I'm still weirded out by how Wongeun was jealous though. Sehun's cool and all, but Wongeun's a tad better than him in almost every way.”

 

How DARE you slander the reputation of my child right in front of me?!” Sandara exclaims offended with widened eyes.

 

Amber only scrunches her eyebrows together in response while Bambi remains silent.

 

Though she doesn't say anything, she disagrees with Amber's statement. Since she knows Sehun better, she can safely say that her roommate is someone she considers far more superior than Wongeun. She wouldn't admit it out loud, of course, but there's just something about Wongeun that didn't quite click well with her. Yes, he's attractive, check. He's tall, check. He's talented and independent, check. He has a nice sense of humor, check. He's kind and considerate, check. He's sweet and understanding, check. But he was way beyond sweet. Maybe a little too sweet or as they say, 'vanilla', for her liking.

 

Sehun's...Sehun.

 

She feels like that doesn't need an explanation. Sehun's a lot of things she couldn't even begin to fathom. He's tall and attractive too, yes, but, he's also confident and charming. He's honest, witty, hardworking, determined, sassy, compulsively neat, a huge pain in the , and one of the most horniest bastards she's ever met. He has an unyielding arrogance that irks her at no end, but underneath that 'douchebag' of an attitude is a big and tender heart. He makes her laugh until her insides hurt, but also listens to her intently and gives her insightful advice when needed. He cares more than he appears to and remembers even the tiniest details about the people he considers important. Then, there's that aura around him that hooks you instantly, like he never wants you to escape from him ever.

 

And she hasn't. She doesn't want to either. She likes having him around. His presence in her life means more than she could possibly imagine. He's like the best friend she always needed, even if she never wanted him to in the first place.

 

Hey! Earth to Bambi!!!” Sandara chides, flailing her hands about in front of her face.

 

Bambi immediately shakes her head and snaps back to reality.

 

What in the world were you even thinking about while we were debating over here??” Sandara demands with an unimpressed frown.

 

Nothing,” Bambi replies quickly while thinking up of an excuse, “I just...I think I'm getting sleepy.”

 

Let's all call it a night. It's been a long day,” Amber says gently as she offers the two warm smiles.

 

They nod and get up to walk the stone path back to their rooms.

 

Just as they're about to reach the door, Bambi halts on her steps and tells them to go on ahead. She makes up an excuse of forgetting her drape on the lounge chair by the pool. Though Amber is skeptical at first, Sandara pulls her towards their original direction, wanting to be in the comfort of their air-conditioned room.

 

Bambi then breathes a sigh of relief as she goes around by the windows of the boys' room. She checks the occupants' whereabouts cautiously. Jongdae is fast asleep and snoring like some busted up car engine. Kyungsoo is nowhere to be found, so Bambi assumes he's handling duties in the bathroom. Then, there's Sehun, staring off into nothing even if the TV is blaring an episode of Friends.

 

She frowns at the sight before knocking lightly on the window.

 

Still in his own world.

 

She knocks again, but a little louder this time.

 

Still in a daze.

 

She grits her teeth as she bangs on the glass impatiently.

 

Sehun then comes to his senses and snaps his head towards her direction.

 

Without warning, the previously annoyed girl starts pulling her best silly faces and random gestures to cheer him up.

 

In a matter of seconds, a smile forms on his lips and he bursts into laughter.

 

Seeing his positive reaction, she knocks again and asks if he's alright with a thumbs-up.

 

He nods with a grateful smile and returns the gesture.

 

She tries her hardest to prevent a grin from coming out, but fails as she waves goodbye.

 

He lets out a soft chuckle and waves as well, feeling the heavy weight of the bad news he received earlier lifting off his shoulders.

 

You haven't gone insane, have you???” Kyungsoo pops his happy bubble and studies the younger one's face.

 

Sehun titters at his remark as Bambi's crazy actions only seconds ago flood his mind. “I might...” He utters softly, “But not in the way you're thinking.”