Chapter 30

Strictly Platonic

So... How's the divorce going?” Sandara asks her youngest friend in a honeyed voice.

 

It has been awhile since the loftmates' fight and it's safe for everyone to assume that this is their worst yet. Though the rest know that there's a war going on, they haven't the faintest idea what it's about unlike the first time the two fought. Nonetheless, they went along with it. The four friends stuck in the middle of the conflict allotted proper time for both parties on separate occassions despite a loudly disgruntled brat in the form of Sandara.

 

Bambi instantly throws her an unimpressed glare and snaps, “I don't know, when will you stop calling it that?”

 

Hey, you gotta hand it to her. She plays the role of a spoiled child well.” Amber shrugs as she goes over the menu one more time. Though the restaurant they're currently in isn't fancy, she's not going to allow herself to get distracted by the psychological warfare that's about to happen between the two. Food is more important after all.

 

That's because she IS spoiled,” Bambi points out.

 

Please. You're daddy's little princess.” Sandara rolls her eyes and flips her hair in the sassiest way possible.

 

That isn't the same as being spoiled,” Bambi argues with an annoyed expression.

 

Sandara decides to give a knowing look to each of the others for backup of her own statement.

 

I just want to eat. You know I'm starving,” Kyungsoo deadpans.

 

Fair enough.” Sandara shrugs before contuining in a chirp, “Sooooooo... guess what?”

 

What? If it's about your gyno person again, please don't. I got mildly scared the way you went so deep about what the human is capable of,” Jongdae responds with a mortified expression.

 

Noooo!” She laughs louder than she should and hits his shoulder. “I have this actor friend who's in Nanta this year and he got me tickets!! All seven!”

 

Seven?” Bambi an eyebrow at the familiar number, which also happens to include Iona these days. She's utterly dissatisfied at her roommate being in the mix, of course; not Kyungsoo's girlfriend.

 

Oh, poo schmoo. It's not like you're going to sit next to each other in the theatre,” Sandara retorts.

 

She's right, you know. And you've been dying to see Nanta for as long as I could remember,” Amber urges in a rather suspicious tone, “And what perfect timing with your birthday so close!”

 

It's a week from now,” Bambi replies flatly.

 

That's close!” Amber insists with a more than usually cheerful disposition.

 

And the show's a week from now too,” Sandara butts in, accompanied by a smug smirk.

 

Before the youngest one can even open to protest, the waitress interrupts, “May I take your order?”

 

Um, yeah. Something cool and soothing for my raging friend over there.” Jongdae grins, innocently batting his eyelashes towards Bambi.

 

The latter can only glare in return, trying her best not to violently rip him apart then and there.

 

Though clueless to what's going on, the waitress manages to get their full attention and in turn, they all cooperate and enumerate each of their orders.

 

What did they fight about anyway? I'm kind of lost. Help a friend,” Jongdae starts as soon as the server leaves their area.

 

Come to think of it, I'm not too sure either,” Amber ponders out loud.

 

I am,” Kyungsoo blurts out.

 

The rest suddenly turn quiet, waiting for him to reveal more.

 

Care to enlighten us?” Sandara questions with a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

 

No, he may not,” Bambi immediately answers for him. She has absolutely no clue if he's bluffing or not, but she isn't taking any chances.

 

The older one sends her a sickly sweet smile. “Four years of friendship and you still haven't learned that your strong resistance will only make me more intrigued.”

 

Bambi scrunches nose up in irritation, but chooses to say nothing.

 

WELL??” Sandara warns, glowering at Kyungsoo impatiently.

 

It really shouldn't be coming from me,” He replies with a casual shrug.

 

UGH! I KNEW IT! You guys are such killjoys!!” Sandara shouts, followed by an unsatisfied huff. She crosses her arms on her chest and glares at the pair of best friends. “If it's something petty, I swear I'm drowning you both in the Han River.”

 

It's NOT, okay? It's just... complicated,” Bambi explains in a hesitant tone.

 

Haaaa haaaa! I get it!” Amber suddenly chortles with an all too happy beam.

 

WHAT? WHAT IS IT?!?!” Jongdae asks fervently, eyes wider than usual.

 

It's VERY complicated,” She answers, trying to create an illusion of mystery.

 

Complicated, as in for the friendship??” Sandara questions, slowly starting to catch on.

 

Amber merely shrugs with a vague expression.

 

Ha! Jongdae's the last to know,” Sandara says in a singsong voice.

 

He pulls a childish pout, but continues in a serious and mature tone, “Well... as long as it doesn't involve anything ual, she should be fine.”

 

Kyungsoo almost chokes on his drink and loudly coughs while Amber and Sandara snort at the sight.

 

Jongdae's eyes widen again as he yells at the top of his lungs, “YOU GUYS DIDN'T HAVE , DID YOU?!”

 

NO!!!!” Bambi immediately protests while attempting to shut him up with her best death glare.

***

The week whizzed by like a freight train and Bambi's birthday finally arrives. Though she spent the last seven days declining the free Nanta tickets right in front of her, she eventually accepted with much reluctance. She did tell the others, Sandara especially, that this was definitely no way to treat a birthday girl. And if they're planning anything to force her and Sehun to reconcile, she would deliberately kick their butts off the rooftop of their apartment building.

 

So there she sits, in the middle of the theatre, rather annoyed that none of her friends are there yet.

 

Her eyes impatiently dart towards different directions of the room, which lead her to fiddle with her phone. After checking her social media accounts and all sorts of apps she actually couldn't care less about, she starts growing anxious that there's still no sign of the others.

 

She then decides to send a group message.

 

Where in God's name are all of you?! If you think this is funny, it ing isn't!

 

An irritated huff escapes as her mind attempts to stay positive and keep her calm.

 

Maybe they're stuck in traffic, maybe Jongdae lost an arm. Who knows, right?

 

You never ing know with those idiots.

 

But I swear to God if they're ditching me last minute...

 

She deeply sighs and massages her temples at the thought.

 

Then, that would mean HE wouldn't be around too, right? Maybe that's their gift to me. Leaving me alone in peace to watch Nanta.

 

Is that why they've been pestering me about it all week?

 

But I know Sandara, that snake. If she wasn't involved, I'd probably be less suspicious...

 

An unsettling feeling lurches inside her gut as she begins to reflect about her recent roommate dilemma. It hasn't entered her brain in awhile. Mostly because they purposely avoid each other at all costs. She does wonder where he runs off to at the wee hours of the night, but she just assumes he's probably gotten back to his wild party lifestyle. Though she hasn't heard any women screaming like a maniac next door.

 

Why am I mad at him again?

 

Right. Because he called me a hypocrite.

 

It may not seem like a huge deal to others, but it is to her. She isn't really mad per se, more of hurt. Because she opened up to him at her weakest and he just slapped her issues right back at her face in an argument like that.

 

And YOU didn't?

 

That doesn't matter. He still said it.

 

So did you.

 

Oh my God, shut up.

 

Forget the fact that the guy you ing like actually likes you too. No, let's decide to push him away so you feel less scared of getting hurt. ing coward. You're ALREADY hurting right now, aren't you? Prick.

 

I mean, we're fine the way we are, aren't we? Best friends.

 

Sure, keep telling yourself that.

 

And he deserves better. I'm not worth it.

 

HERE WE GO AGAIN. When will this ty negative side move out already?!

 

Never, probably.

 

HE was the one who said that 'You are beautiful and worthy more than you think.' What ing part of THAT makes you unworthy?!?!?!

 

Me. This part right here.

 

Oh, dear God...

 

The lights suddenly dim and Bambi instantly snaps back into reality. She then spots a notice on the screen by the side of the stage, letting the audience know that they should put their phones in silent before the show begins. She stirs in her seat, following the instruction and then finds only five slots next to her empty. Not wanting to focus too much on the fact that Sehun actually showed up, she bombards the rest with infuriated texts.

 

Way to ditch me on my birthday, guys. Thanks a ing lot.

 

And YES, that includes you, Kyungsoo. I KNEW you wouldn't give me that autographed album of Sistar without a price.

 

Get your ing asses ready for payback time.

 

Except you, Kyungie~ I'm reserving all my kisses just for your adorable little face <3 :) :) :) Because I know how much you LOVE them~~ xxxxxxx

 

I hate you all. Die.

 

After ending it with a sour note, she finally focuses on the show in front of her.

 

Despite the boiling anger consuming her, Nanta proves to elate her beyond her expectations. Basically, the story revolves around three cooks who are given a limited amount of time to prepare all sorts of food for a wedding banquet. The manager of the restaurant throws in his inadequate nephew into the equation and chaos ensues. It's a non-verbal musical as well, so the actors rely a lot on the beats they create (more known as traditional samul nori rhythm) using actual kitchen equipment.

 

Only a couple of minutes into the show and already, Bambi's sold on its whimsical humor. She's always a er for anything that can make her laugh her heart out. She even forgets, for almost the entirety of the program, that Sehun's merely a few feet away. That is, until the actors start looking for a bride and groom among the audience.

 

She immediately ducks to avoid any eye contact and prays to God to save her just this one time. She's aware that Sehun probably won't get chosen (she has ty luck and he happens to have the opposite), but she's not ready to deal with at least 200 pairs of eyes staring at her in the middle of a spotlight.

 

As the actors scour through the crowd for a temporary couple, Bambi peeks at her loftmate for a few seconds to see how he's taking all this. She couldn't be more surprised at the cool composure he's holding while pulling a bored expression.

 

Smug bastard. She thinks, annoyed, as she feels a tap on her shoulder. S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Her eyes slowly meet the dashingly handsome face she's watched only a couple of minutes ago onstage. She shares a rather sheepish smile and blurts out, “Me?”

 

He returns a cheeky grin, knowingly glancing behind her.

 

And it is as she has feared. The bride and groom of the day? Her and the last person she wants to face.

 

Sandara Park. That conniving little--

 

She reluctantly stands up and follows the weirdly cheerful man onto the stage, not sparing one glance towards Sehun's direction.

 

The excited actor hands her a set of robes to wear for the 'traditional Korean wedding' that's about to commence. She hastily throws them on, wanting to put an end to her misery as quick as possible without having to waver around her roommate.

 

As the ceremony begins, the two are asked to sit together on a quaint bench and smile, for it is to be a happy occasion. The actors then do their thing and celebrate for the couple in their own beat bopping way. It seems to take forever in Bambi's perspective, to the point where she wonders whether will suddenly fall off her face from smiling too much.

 

She and Sehun continue on with the number, saying nothing to one another and avoiding each other's gazes with all their might. And just when she thinks she's going to faint from the annoyingly chirpy front she has to put on, the actors finally give them the wedding feast they've prepared the entire show. Bambi's stomach grumbles at the food in front of her (which they're apparently not allowed to eat) as her eyes momentarily land on Sehun.

 

He looks the same; still handsome, still appears to be a person who would sass the out of anyone if they tried to cross him. But her heart suddenly softens, noticing how pale he is and how sad his eyes seem.

 

Did I hog our friends too much?? She ponders, feeling guilty. Have I been too selfish? Was I wrong this entire time? Does it even matter who was right or wrong?

 

In an instant, the noise and people around them drown out her senses and all she can see in that moment is him.

 

I...I'm so--” She barely musters as her eyes desperately try to catch his attention.

 

Everyone, please clap for our bride and groom of the day!” The actor who picked her announces cheerfully and the audience immediately does what they're told.

 

Just like that, she loses the opportunity to win her best friend back; which is what she's been yearning deep, deep down no matter how much she denies it.

 

Everything right after goes by like a blur and the show ends for her just like how it began: clouded with an emotion she couldn't fully grasp. When she snaps out of her daze, her focus immediately falls on Sehun's chair. She sighs, staring at the empty seat and leaves the theatre, absorbed with doubt and confusion.

 

What the hell was that back there? She wonders, walking aimlessly. Wasn't I ing ape mad at him seconds before that?

 

She lets out a sigh again and instantly after, her stomach grumbles; seeming to scream at her to find a place to eat before she drops dead on the street.

 

As if the heavens are making up for the unfortunate incident awhile ago, she spots a ramen restaurant a few steps away and quickly settles inside. It doesn't take her long to decide on what to order, but the minutes after prove to be more dragging than a tortoise in a race.

 

She checks her phone to see if there are any messages from her friends and goes through each one. Several of the apologies come from Amber and Iona while Sandara remains scornful as ever. Kyungsoo keeps it short and sincere, subtly emphasizing that he went through a lot just to get her that Sistar album. To nobody's surprise, Jongdae is clueless and actually forgets that there's supposed to be a musical to watch in the first place. He argues that Kyungsoo is his walking pad of reminders and if there's anyone to blame, it should be him. To which Sandara ends by clarifying that she actually decided to block him out of her 'ingenious' plan anyway, so technically it's no one's fault.

 

Witnessing the vibrant and hilarious group chat, Bambi couldn't help but chortle out of pure amusement. She's going to have to postpone her scheme of revenge for later. It's no use ruining the mood now. And besides, it's better for her when they have their guards down. They'll never know what's coming to them.

 

Although caught up in the haze of pure elation, she sets her phone aside and unconsciously looks up. Right in that exact moment, as if scripted from a movie, she meets his all too familiar almond eyes. The ones that remind her of the smoked topaz bracelet her grandmother cherishes up to this day. The ones that trigger her brain to play her favorite line from the song, 'Breathe', over and over.

 

'But my God, it's so beautiful when the boy smiles.'

 

All because his eye smile makes her heart flutter every God given ing time. Like any other person in the world, she finds the eyes the most appealing element of one's face. And why shouldn't she? It's the only feature that speaks volumes without saying a word. There's nothing that could be more beautiful than that.

 

She then averts her gaze and finds herself staring at the place mat on the table. Her heart speeds up several miles, not knowing what to do. Though her mind scolds her to calm down, she finds herself flustered and panicked beyond compare.

 

Just as she's about to have a mental breakdown, her order arrives and she decides to solely focus on the food the restaurant has bestowed upon her. Her eyes stay glued to the bowl and its contents the entire time. It feels rather silly, but she'd prefer to sacrifice her neck's comfort than her dignity.

 

Countless minutes pass and all she can do is wait for her impending doom. She knows something's about to happen. She just knows. Her gut won't leave the matter alone and she's already feeding its selfish desires. What more does it want?!

 

The noodles are kind of stale, aren't they?” Sehun's playful and deep voice chimes in her lone and tense silence.

 

Bambi nervously avoids his stare and carries on sipping her ramen. “Not really, no.”

 

Huh...” He suddenly invades her bowl with his own chopsticks and has a taste. He stays quiet for a moment before muttering with a hint of annoyance, “I guess they serve better to girls.”

 

As a waiter passes by the table, he remarks out of nowhere, “That's ist by the way.”

 

The puzzled server merely furrows his eyebrows towards his direction and carries on about his business; obviously letting Sehun know that he has better things to do.

 

Bambi can only bite her lips to refrain from laughing out loud.

 

Seeing as he still hasn't gotten an actual reaction from her, Sehun sighs, “Look...” He finally admits, “I hate this.”

 

I mean, we've had our fair share of big fights, haven't we? Or maybe just one. But still...” He pauses, hesitant about what he's about to say next. “I like you. We've established that. I'm not going to apologize for confessing to you that night. But I will say sorry for everything else that happened after. I'm sorry I said hurtful words to you. To be fair, we both did. But that's not the point. The point is... I didn't mean to call you a hypocrite. You're not. I know that you're struggling with a lot and...I promise I won't do that ever again. Let's not hurt each other like that ever, shall we?”

 

She merely nods, not knowing how to respond; though fully understanding what he's trying to relay.

 

He sighs and continues in a sincere manner, “I just...I want you to know that it's real. My feelings for you. Always has been. Curse and kick me all you want, but I'm telling you I genuinely like you and your existence. Happy or not, weird or not, crashing the couch all day or randomly going to the nearest gas station to eat a bunch of junk food; screechy and mean or subtly sweet through little gestures. Everything. Just you. All of you.”

 

Still locking her eyes away from him, Bambi maintains silence, but she could feel her heart beating faster by the second. Though she yearns to say something, anything, as her brain consistently nags, she chooses to keep shut.

 

What is she going to say after all that anyway?

 

It would be a shame if we ended our friendship just because of my hiccup. These are my feelings obviously and I'll take care of them. You need not worry about it, okay? It's not like you feel the same way about me anyway.”

 

But I do... Jesus Christ, I do. Her eyes finally land on him as she admires his profile with a sinking feeling.

 

Then spit it out!!

 

I...” She starts in a whisper.

 

He eagerly focuses his attention back to her.

 

Come THE ON. JUST SAY IT. I LIKE YOU TOO.

 

4 WORDS. NOT THAT HARD, GIRL. JUST DO IT. NIKE WANTS YOU TO DO IT. I WANT YOU TO DO IT.

 

Despite her mind practically screaming at her to get it done and over with, Bambi ends up saying something else entirely, “I'm sorry too. I was a bit of a .”

 

IS THAT SO ING HARD TO SAY??? WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!

 

A bit?” Sehun teases, raising an eyebrow.

 

She instantly makes a face at his remark, but continues in a remorseful tone, “I didn't mean to push you away like that. I just...it's...” complicated...

 

Or at least, you know... keep telling yourself that. .

 

Instinct?” He finishes for her.

 

Yeah.”

 

I know you well enough. It's not gonna be that easy to get rid of me.”

 

I was wrong,” She quickly adds, “...to say all that to you too. How hurt you must've felt when I said you didn't really like me. And... I... I just...”

 

It's okay.” He sends a warm beam her way in reassurance. “You need not explain. I already told you, right? I know you well enough.” He pauses for a somewhat dramatic effect before tittering, “Kitty munchkin.”

 

A soft chuckle escapes as she proposes, “You wanna visit the cat cafe nearby after this?”

 

His lips slowly form a smile at the suggestion and a sly idea suddenly pops in his head. “Only if we get to deduct it off your questions.”

 

She immediately scowls and rolls her eyes at his usual annoying behavior finally making an appearance. “Fine.”

 

He claps and grins with utter joy despite the trivial matter. “Happy birthday, little one,” He chirps as he hands over what looks like several paper coupons.

 

I swear if these are cheesy personal coupons we're supposed to use on each other, I'm drowning this er in my ramen. She thinks, skeptical at the gift before her.

 

Cautiously scanning each one, she realizes that it's a genuine present and she couldn't help but burst in a boisterous tone, “WHAT?!?! NOOOOOO!!! NOOOO!!!” She ruffles through the stack of discount pizza coupons from Zoe's Pizzeria over and over in disbelief. She suddenly grabs him from across the table and hugs him out of pure hysteria. “OH MY GOD, HUNAHALULU! BEST GIFT EVER!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! YOU'RE THE BEST, JESUS CHRIST, I CAN'T CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!!”

 

When she finally lets go and stares at the coupons in complete awe, Sehun chuckles as he watches her with nothing but love in his eyes.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

AN: 

On another note, any star1s here? It feels right to pay some sort of tribute to them, because they're my favorite kpop girl group. Fun fact about me. But also. Yay. I only like to torture people for a short amount of time. Now, that was just a minor unpleasant breeze, wasn't it? Let me know if you haven't murdered me in your mind yet and if you're a star1! Or if you at least like Sistar. Anything's fine. Sharing your thoughts about the chapters would be awesome too. Anyway, hope you're all having a lovely day despite the negative crap that's going on in the world. Peace and love always! <3