Chapter 28

Strictly Platonic

Though Bambi failed to notice, Sehun's moves became bolder each passing week. While on vacation, his brother advised him to be more assertive about his feelings. At first, he was hesitant, because he was afraid she wouldn't feel the same way. But as soon as he settled down to his normal routine, he told himself ' it'. He's just going to have to deal with the consequences, whether good or bad.

 

He did everything he possibly could to somehow relay to his roommate that he didn't want to be strictly platonic anymore. But as far as his efforts went, they were overlooked. At this point, he couldn't understand how her brain worked. It's either she's perfectly aware of what he's doing, but chose not to acknowledge it or she's just plain oblivious. With Bambi, it could go either way and that annoyed him a bit. And also maybe because he's way too nervous to flat out tell her that he likes her.

 

There are times when he'd suddenly stutter on his own words while trying to impress her and it made him anxious. With Nichole, he had calculated every possible manuever he could muster in order to date her. She made him nervous as well, but it was different. With Bambi, it's both exciting and comfortable while Nichole felt like shot after shot of adrenaline. He never knew what she would do next and it both scared and thrilled him; which is probably why their relationship went down in flames. In short, he really doesn't want to it up with Bambi.

 

Luckily, Amber's birthday celebration arrives and Sehun decides to make this God given opportunity his own. Granted that the event is actually large-scaled and somewhat formal because Revival Records promoted Amber into a notable position, he still thinks it's a good idea to hint at his feelings in a much more distracting environment. The fact that they're all going to party in a club boosts his confidence a bit, since his A game is usually up in such places.

 

While Bambi does arrive later than the others due to work, Sehun stays alert and tries to keep his head leveled for his agenda. But the minute he spots her walking towards them, dressed to kill in a stylish black stretch chiffon and muslin gown, all logic suddenly escapes him. He can only stare, or ogle rather, at how gorgeous she looks from head to toe.

 

My, my, señorita! Someone looks extra foxy tonight!” Sandara compliments her friend as soon as she nears them.

 

You made me buy this dress,” Bambi remarks flatly.

 

And I was right to!” The older one enthuses with a smug grin.

 

Bambi only rolls her eyes as they move to the rest of her friends. “Jongdae, they're s. Not your favorite ballad singer. Stop staring,” She snaps at the lack of subtlety on his part and turns to her loftmate, “You too, head.”

 

The rest snort while Sehun manages an expressionless face.

 

I don't have a favorite ballad singer,” He points out in the most nonchalant tone.

 

JUST--!!” Bambi nearly yells as she attempts to swat him away.

 

The gang stay glued to each other for some minutes of the party, but gradually find their own way to enjoy the celebration. Typical Jongdae struts his stuff on the dance floor, with Sehun on the sidelines recording everything on his phone. The latter convinces himself that he'll get to Bambi later since they've got a long night ahead of them. Meanwhile, Sandara mingles with some of Revival's high-end artists and Amber accommodates the present investors of the company. Kyungsoo is nowhere to be found, but Bambi guesses he's in the middle of a phone call with Iona in a quieter section of the club. His girlfriend couldn't make it once again for she's shooting for one of her clients in a music festival.

 

As for the latecomer? She remains stationed by the bar, observing everyone else while sipping a cheeky cosmopolitan. She doesn't know what her plan is for the remainder of the party, but if it's to hang around her current vicinity for the rest of the night, she truly wouldn't mind.

 

Bambi! Hey!”

 

She turns around at the unfamiliar voice and comes face to face with someone she feels like she should know, but painstakingly doesn't at the moment. “Hey! Um...?”

 

He could be any of the guys she slept with years ago. He looked like the type: manly chiseled Fabio face with muscles that may or may not rip his suit that instant and a deliciously dreamy smile ready to swallow her whole.

 

Jared!” His silky voice offers with a playful grin.

 

The supposedly nonexistent light bulb in her head turns on as her brain recalls a particular memory with the man standing in front of her. “Jared! Hi!” She greets a little too loudly, feeling rather silly.

 

Fancy bumping into you here. Of all places,” He comments in a remotely flirtatious tone.

 

Ah, but it's another party. Yet again,” She replies, forcing a small smile.

 

This time I'm completely sober though.”

 

As am I.” She tries to search her mind for a way to get rid of him, but instead ends up asking out of curiousity, “You... work for Revival or...?”

 

Yeah, yeah! It's been a couple of months. Amber and I have actually worked together in a few projects,” He enthuses.

 

Bambi merely nods in response, hoping to God that this horrifying chance meeting ends now.

 

You still single?” Jared suddenly questions, attempting to stay casual.

 

Oh, for s sake. “Hmm? Um... Well, funny thing...I'm actually--”

 

You alright, Bambs? Is he bothering you?” A familiar deep voice interrupts as she feels an arm snake around her waist.

 

She turns to Sehun, rather surprised at his abrupt appearance, but answers his question calmly, “Yeah, I'm... peachy.” Her eyes then revert to the man she was previously talking to. “Um... This is Jared. We met a couple of years ago in Sandara's annual pre-Christmas party. Very brief encounter.”

 

Long story, short: Jared is someone Bambi did sleep with during that phase in her life. She remembers how she was by him, because of all the testosterone oozing from him. But alas, when one expects too much, they end up disappointed by how quick their one night stand cums. He wasn't the worst scenario though. He lasted a little more than a minute, which is passable, in her opinion.

 

Jared gives a brief nod and forces a smile towards Sehun. The latter only sends a cold glare in return.

 

Well, it was nice seeing you, Bambi. It's a shame you're already taken,” Jared states through a clenched jaw as he walks away from the two.

 

I--” She starts before glowering at Sehun. “What was THAT about?”

 

What do you mean, 'What was that about'??? He looked like he was about to devour you like a fresh piece of meat,” He replies just as annoyed as her. His grip on her waist tightens; just enough for her head to be glued to his chest.

 

We were just talking. I could've handled it on my own, you know. You don't have to be so protective of me,” She hisses, attempting to wiggle away from his arm.

 

I know. It's him I don't trust. Looks like a guy who doesn't take no for an answer,” He explains gently and loosens his grip.

 

Her expression turns soft as she lets out a sigh, “That's a little bit true, but I still could've handled it.”

 

Just... stay away from him. He keeps watching you like a hawk.” He then shoots his best glare at Jared a few feet away from them.

 

She briefly meets eyes with the creeper and shudders a bit. “Ugh. Not that it's wanted, but help me?”

 

Gladly.” He grins mischievously as he pokes her nose with much more affection than usual.

 

The two loftmates then spend the next few hours together. Their friends, rather confused and skeptical, bombard them with several questions. It's not like they aren't almost always inseperable; it's their unusually forward intimacy that's freaking them out, Sandara especially. But as Bambi repeatedly explains to her the sticky situation she got herself into, her older friend's illusion shatters into a million pieces.

 

When the rest finally separate from the pair to avoid suspicion from Jared, the official photographer of the event nears Bambi and Sehun to ask them for a picture. They both pose naturally with pleasant smiles as the camera snaps away.

 

What a beautiful couple!” The man bubbles as he double checks the photo and walks away with a huge grin on his face.

 

We're not--” Bambi starts before huffing like a spoiled child who didn't manage to get their way.

 

Sehun tilts his head at her and chuckles at how annoyed she looks.

 

She frowns further and folds her arms across her chest as she questions, “You find this amusing?”

 

Well, yeah,” He replies with a shrug, “I mean, people can think what they wanna think, but that doesn't change what's real.”

 

Her gaze softens as she reluctantly agrees, “Touché, Mr. Oh. Touché.”

 

As great as their night is going sending a blatant message to their beloved Jared, the two soon go on their own ways during the party. Though somehow relieved that there isn't anyone bothering her at no end, Bambi gradually feels more anxious and suffocated. Her monthly downer of a visitor starts knocking in her head and she tries her best to drown out the negativity by joining the excited crowd on the dance floor. But this proves to be a futile move since it makes her feel much worse than before.

 

Stumbling her way through a sea of people with much struggle, she finally reaches the door she's been looking for and springs out of the building. The fresh wind greets her with a pleasant gust as she settles down on a cleaner spot of the sidewalk.

 

This again. She thinks, annoyed with herself. Not like it's anything new, but what great timing, Bambi.

 

She bites on her bottom lip, hoping her tears will remain inside her eyes and retreat into the back of her head. This really isn't the place or time for her emotions to get the best of her. She's usually so good at concealing and suppressing it, but it seems that her brain is not in the mood to tolerate such behavior.

 

Jesus... what I would give for one, single moment of peace...

 

Bit antsy?” Sehun asks in a whisper as he sits next to her.

 

Bambi then looks up at him, snapping back into reality, and forces a small smile. “Yeah.” She stares back at the closed store across the street. “I needed some quiet.”

 

Silence engulfs them as the still and cold air fills it like second nature.

 

Why are YOU out here? Aren't parties kind of your thing?” She suddenly questions, attempting to avoid the sinking feeling growing inside of her.

 

It isn't exactly news that her roommate has his own share of drunken adventures. It used to piss her off, especially when he first moved in; but when she found out about his own story and struggles, she somehow understood. They each had their way of dealing with their pain.

 

While Bambi shuts everyone out and keeps all her negative feelings to herself, Sehun parties until the break of dawn, drinks all his sanity away with alcohol, and sleeps with numerous women whom he had zero regard for. And this is all because he feels deprived of love from other people. It's why he's so cocky. A typical mask to cover up the fact that he just wants someone to truly love him despite that front.

 

It reminds Bambi of herself when Aaron passed away. When she spiralled out of control and just like her roommate, she went from club to club, intoxicated with all sorts of substances, seeking any type of admiration or approval from guys she barely even knew. She stopped when one night had gone too far and she had to be rushed to the hospital for accidentally downing more drugs than she could handle. In Sehun's defense, he's perfectly aware of his limitations and never takes anything that he's not familiar with; thus, alcohol intake only.

 

Um...the last time I've been to a club was on my birthday,” He clarifies.

 

She furrows her eyebrows at him in disbelief and suspicion as she thinks about it.

 

May seems foggy in her memory, but she doesn't recall any drunk and loudly Sehun. June was the month they all had that two-week summer vacation. After that, Sehun lazed around the apartment like Garfield. Then there's July to August, which is composed of him being an annoying tourist with his brother and his arrival back home as well as adjustment. Fast forward to the present day, a little into September, they're now in Revival's huge birthday blowout for Amber.

 

Is that right?” She thinks aloud, still dazed by the calculations her brain is attempting to comprehend.

 

Yeah.”

 

Huh...” She then asks cautiously, “Why?”

 

I don't know... It got exhausting. And a lot more meaningless than I thought,” He responds while stretching his legs with a shrug.

 

Hm.”

 

A period of silence follows and yet again, her mood plummets downward as flashbacks of certain moments of weakness similar to Sehun's run through her mind.

 

Hey, I've got a question for you,” He pipes up, noticing the gradual sadness growing in her eyes, “6 actually.”

 

She makes a face at him, but ends up cracking a smile. You do know that if you do this, you'll only have 6 left, right? She thinks with a knowing look.

 

Well aware,” He answers as if he could read her mind. “You ready?”

 

She only nods, not knowing what to expect.

 

What fictional character do you have the biggest crush on?”

 

Really?” She raises an eyebrow unimpressed.

 

Come on,” He whines mildly with a pout, “We've got to start with something light.”

 

She huffs, but reluctantly responds, “I'm torn between Chandler and Freddie.”

 

Okay, got it. Chanddie,” He says in a rush, “Next question.”

 

Which celebrity would you trade lives with?”

 

Emma Watson.”

 

What is the best present you've ever received?”

 

Food.”

 

Not surprised.” He nods quite amused. “What is your weirdest deal...maker?”

 

She widens her eyes, confused by the question. “What do you mean? Like ? Love? Food???”

 

Any. Just your weirdest.”

 

Role-playing as Batman and Catwoman?” She blurts out unsure.

 

I'm intrigued. Tell me more about it later,” He giggles childishly and continues, “If you could go back in time, what is one piece of advice you would give your younger self?”

 

what everyone else says. You are your own person and no one should be able to change that except you.”

 

What is the nicest thing someone could say about you?”

 

'You are beautiful and worthy more than you think.'”

 

He gapes at her shocked. “Really?”

 

She nods with much assurance. “I never really thought about it, but what you said stuck to me and I just...” Her gaze falls upon him as she whispers, “Thank you.” She then looks down. “It's something I'm going to try and remember when I feel like utter .” Which is now... apparently.

 

I'm glad.” He beams widely and casts a loving look on her. But his brain decides to ruin the moment by reminding him of one of her answers awhile ago. “So... Batman and Catwoman?”

 

Oh my God,” She mutters through gritted teeth.

 

I'm curious! Never would've pegged you as that type.”

 

She avoids his eyes, but gives him a proper reply, “Two words: Batman Returns.”

 

A mischievous smile pops on his mouth. “This is great. Do the others know?”

 

Only the girls... and Kyungsoo.”

 

How'd he take it?”

 

Better than you,” She sasses.

 

Right, sorry. I'm gonna drop the topic.” He says before continuing in a teasing manner, “It's not like we're ever gonna have anyway, right?

 

Is that even a proper question to ask?” She exclaims annoyed, “You're forgetting about the--”

 

Strictly platonic rule. I know.”

 

Good.”

 

They turn quiet and a slight tension fills the air.

 

Should we dance it out?” Sehun asks out of the blue with a bright grin.

 

What???” Bambi counters, sending him a ridiculous look.

 

He stands up and starts skipping in place excitedly on the street. “Dance! Let's dance!! Come on! Everyone else in there is!”

 

I don't dance,” She responds flatly.

 

PLEASE. You're forgetting about your little Selena Gomez adventure.”

 

Her jaw drops at the shot he just fired as she screams and hits him hardly on the shoulder, “Ugh! I hate you!!!”

 

He can only laugh out of spite and continue to pester her, “Come oooon. No big deal. It's just the two of us out here.”

 

She frowns at the cringeworthy suggestion. “WHY??”

 

BECAUSE... I just feel like it.” He shrugs. “No harm in a little dancing.”

 

She merely glares to stand her ground regarding the matter.

 

He makes a face at her stubbornness and proceeds to dance on his own. At first, he moves with such intensity and tenacity; something he had learned a long time ago.

 

Bambi could only stare at him bewildered. He dances? As in, proper dances?????? What the hell is going on?????? She thinks, getting slightly by the sight before her.

 

It's not long before Sehun turns it down a notch and his steps become silly. While making the most ludicrous expressions she's ever seen, he spins and then jumps like a monkey.

 

She attempts to hold in a laugh by biting hard on her bottom lip, but ends up falling into several sequences of it.

 

You laughed!! I made you laugh! You gotta dance. You know you HAVE to!” He urges while pulling on one of her arms.

 

She stares at him rather unimpressed and huffs reluctantly. Her body taking control as she gets up and lets him drag her to the safer part of the sidewalk.

 

He chuckles and places his arms on her waist while she nervously wraps hers around his neck.

 

This is alright, right? Just swaying slowly side to side...” The proximity of his soft voice tickles her ear.

 

Without any music, sure,” She retorts with a snort.

 

Well it's not as cheesy romantic as The Notebook, but hey I try,” He offers.

 

A genuinely amused laugh escapes . “You finally watched it huh?”

 

Yeah and with my brother too. No idea how bored we were but it came to that point.”

 

She giggles at the thought of two grown men watching the romantic film in a quiet hotel room. “I don't like that movie all that much either.”

 

Let's be honest, if there was actual music in that scene, you would've been sold with everything else,” He teases.

 

Ha. Ha,” She sarcastically remarks while rolling her eyes.

 

This is what technology is for,” He says, getting his phone from his pocket and playing an all too familiar song.

 

They both slowly sway to the beat and stay silent upon the gentle and enchanting flow of the music.

 

Surprisingly feeling calm despite the foreign intimacy they're displaying, Bambi comfortably rests her head on Sehun's shoulder. She smiles at both his relaxed breathing and his familiar intoxicating scent.

 

She hasn't felt like this ever. Not with Aaron or any other guy she's had a somehow serious relationship with.

 

She's calm, but excited; content, but aching for more; warm and fuzzy, but thrilled and nervous.

 

Is infatuation really what it is? Why are my emotions all paradoxes in themselves?

 

Ed Sheeran's voice seemingly echoes around them and her questions to herself are left unanswered.

 

Settle down with me

Cover me up

Cuddle me in

Lie down with me

And hold me in your arms

 

And your heart's against my chest, your lips pressed to my neck

I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet

And with a feeling I'll forget...”

 

I'm in love now,” He softly states along with the song, finally letting the confession out in the open.

 

Bambi's heart instantly skips a beat as her eyes meet his. She then whispers in disbelief, “Sehun...”

 

Don't... Don't say anything. Just... stay. Even if it's just this one moment... Stay,” He replies in a desperate tone as he slowly leans down towards her.

 

Her eyes flutter, watching his lips move closer.

 

What's going to happen after this? Are we still going to be just loftmates and strictly platonic friends? What exactly am I doing just standing here? This isn't right at all. I should move away!!!

 

 

But I can't. I don't want to. I--

 

Hey! We've been looking everywhere for you two!!” Jongdae interrupts just in time, “Amber's making her speech!!”

 

The two immediately jump out of each other's arms and act as if nothing was about to occur at that particular moment in time. Then, with awkward and tense silence surrounding them, they follow their friend back inside the club.

 

One feeling irritated at the disruption, while the other a mix of confusion and relief.