Chapter 26

Strictly Platonic

One would think that after the 'up all night' incident, Bambi and Sehun would keep it to a minimum. However, thanks to Sehun's pestering and Bambi's need to get back at him for his annoying little musings he randomly sends her during work, they FaceTimed every night for the next few days like it was the most normal thing in the world. While people thought technology is such a great blessing, Bambi felt it was a curse while her roommate was away. It's as if he wasn't gone. In fact, he became way more irritating. From Snapchat to Instagram to Twitter to Tumblr, and even as simple as something like iMessage, he always found a way to get on her nerves.

 

What else is new though? If he's capable of pestering her in person, he can always pester her virtually as well.

 

But with good times also comes the bad. A week swooped by wherein Bambi stuck herself into an utter chaos at work. Eventually, she had no time to tease, let alone talk like a normal human being, to Sehun. He understood, of course, but more or less felt disappointed that he couldn't get his daily dose of bothering her. Their conversations remained consistent, though short-lived. Then at one point, Bambi just decided to drown herself with all sorts of tasks for the magazine without even realizing; which then left Sehun to subtly complain to his brother about how inconsiderate she was being of her own health.

 

She spent less and less time in the loft and started staying over at Sandara's since it's a shorter walk from the elevator. It was a drunken mistake at first (due to some late night sponsor events Joanna flung her to), but Bambi reasoned that it would be better for her to temporarily crash there every now and then. However, as much as every now and then was accomplished, it gradually turned into a daily occurrence. And this didn't bode well with the older friend.

 

Aren't you supposed to give me a proper briefing before officially considering yourself a resident of my house?” Sandara demands early in the morning as she pokes her peacefully sleeping friend.

 

Bambi stirs for a moment or two before rolling around to face Sandara. “What?” She croaks, wiping off the drool on her chin.

 

So attractive,” The homeowner remarks sarcastically and mumbles, “No wonder Sehun's head over heels...”

 

My heels are outside,” Bambi groggily quips with a yawn.

 

Sandara scowls at her unimpressed and bellows in a commanding tone, “OKAY, best pair of ears in the world. Get up, clear your head, and let's go through this slowly but surely.”

 

Whatever...” Bambi murmurs while rolling back to her original position.

 

Nuh-uh-uhh! No, no! Stop. Get up, child!” Sandara scolds, trying to get a grip of the stubborn one's sheets.

 

But I don't want to!!” Bambi attempts to whine cutely as she holds onto the comforter with all her might.

 

Sandara smirks at her younger friend and reminds, “You forget. I'm the only friend that's immune to that adorable whining of yours.”

 

Ah, crap,” Bambi mutters in a defeated tone while reluctantly slumping off the bed and heading to the bathroom to get ready.

 

The next few hours pass by like a slug trudging in a five-kilometer marathon. Bambi does her best to stall her time, not wanting to face Sandara's interrogation.

 

If there's anything she finds more annoying than Sehun's little ways, it's Sandara's 'I'm the older one, therefore sometimes I can act like your mother' behavior. She finds no logical basis for it, because everyone's well aware that her friend sometimes acts way more immature than an average adult can comprehend. But despite her efforts, she drags her feet with internal dread and regret to the dining room, where Sandara sits patiently waiting.

 

Now, tell me what's up,” She starts gently as soon as their eyes meet.

 

I don't know...” Bambi shrugs as she avoids her gaze and thinks of an excuse. “I just didn't know how nice your apartment was until like a few days ago...”

 

Sandara peers at her, completely unconvinced. “Okay, ONE. Thank you. My apartment's the essence of lavish and classy. Much like me. TWO, I have NO idea why it took so long for you to notice. And THREE, you could've just visited you know. Think of my home as your museum.”

 

This is ridiculous. I'm late for work,” Bambi says, beginning to walk towards the front door.

 

Well, you wouldn't be late for work if you were in your own apartment!!” Sandara hollers with a sour frown.

 

BYE, Dara.” The younger one waves before exiting her friend's house.

***

As soon as Bambi thought she was safe from investigative questioning, she was proven wrong the minute she set foot back in Sandara's apartment later that night. Which, to be honest, she should've seen coming, because Sandara never really stops until she gets what she wants.

 

Huh.” Amber stares at her best friend dumbfounded.

 

Told you she would come here,” Sandara snorts, giving the rest a knowing glance.

 

Bambi scowls at the complete attendance of all her friends in the living room, plus Iona. “What? Are you guys having 'backstab Bambi' sessions now?”

 

We've actually been participating in those for quite awhile, even before this incident,” Kyungsoo jokes with a straight face.

 

Bambi immediately sends him a glower.

 

I'm kidding, of course. We 'frontstab' each other, don't we? The embodiment of true friendship,” He states in a light manner.

 

She lets out a long sigh, feeling like she's going to regret what she's about to ask. “What is it now?”

 

I've been telling them about you and your hobo ways,” Sandara reveals with a smug smirk.

 

Which I totally think is true, because a couple of nights ago, I hung out at your place for eight straight hours and not once did you come out to scold me or eat some midnight snacks.” Jongdae happily hums, recalling the incident.

 

You WHAT?!” Bambi exclaims enraged.

 

Jongdae's eyes instantly widen and his voice lowers a bit, “Did I say eight hours? I meant five.”

 

She an eyebrow and folds her arms across her chest unconvinced.

 

His eyes then avert elsewhere as he stammers, “Plus two... and forty-five minutes... and fifteen more...”

 

Congrats on the complex equation solving, Dae,” Kyungsoo remarks sarcastically.

 

But that's not the point. The point is, WHY?” Sandara questions, pointedly gazing at Bambi.

 

Which you have the answer to, of course,” Amber agrees as her eyes fall upon her best friend.

 

Bambi makes a face at the sudden ganging up strategy. “So, do you guys not have lives or...?”

 

There she goes again. Dodging the question,” Sandara comments in a slightly annoyed tone while sending the others knowing looks.

 

I'm not DODGING the question, I'm ridiculing the way you use your time,” Bambi argues in a raised voice.

 

Still another form of diversion,” Sandara points out with a forced smile.

 

Bambi merely rolls her eyes, not wanting to worsen the dispute between them. “Whatever, this is stupid.”

 

Well then, if you won't play fair, go and sleep in your own loft tonight!” Sandara shouts at the top of her lungs.

 

Fine, I WILL!” Bambi shouts right back with a haughty expression.

 

Fine!”

 

GOOD! I'M GLAD WE SETTLED THAT!”

 

ME TOO!”

 

Bambi then plops on the couch next to Jongdae and Kyungsoo's rather quiet and culture-shocked girlfriend.

 

Hey, Iona,” Bambi greets almost in a murmur.

 

Hey,” Iona whispers, but in a surprisingly bright tone. She clears nervously and continues, “I know we're supposed to drop it and I'm not supposed to have an opinion, but are you perhaps...missing someone that's why you're clinging onto Dara and her place?”

 

Bambi glances at her curiously. “Not that I'm aware of.” She shrugs while searching her mind for a person she may or may not miss. “I don't know. I guess it's just been more comfortable around here and it's nearer to the elevator.”

 

That never bothered you before,” Amber counters, pulling a miffed expression.

 

Bambi yawns and stretches out of exhaustion before uttering lazily, “Who knows? I've just been a bit strung out from work, I guess. This is the earliest I've come home too, because of all the chaos that's going on.”

 

Sandara huffs, unsatisfied with the younger friend's response, and whines, “I like the 'missing someone' theory better.”

 

Sounds a lot more feasible,” Kyungsoo agrees with a convinced nod.

 

Okay. Time to drop the topic,” Bambi says through gritted teeth as she knowingly glares at each of them.

 

Dropped,” Iona immediately declares before the others could protest. “Sorry I brought it back up.”

 

It's fine. We're good.” Bambi dotes on her by pinching her cheeks.

 

The subject then remains buried for the entirety of the hangout, much to Sandara's dismay. But that doesn't exactly stop her from trying to bring it back once in awhile.

 

Kyungsoo, who's the more sensible one among them, sends her discreet warnings; telling her to quit it if she doesn't want to die early. Though he agrees that there may be a sentimental reason as to why Bambi's spending so much time in Sandara's home, he feels that now isn't the time to talk about it. Having known the former for several years, he's fully aware that such a delicate matter is for her to realize on her own.

 

Bambi may be honest, but she's also stubborn as hell. Putting that into the equation, how then will you make someone like that admit that she's constantly sleeping over her friend's house, not because she finds it convenient, but because she's actually lonely?

 

The answer is you don't. Not with Bambi, you don't.

 

The push they gave her earlier will make her think; but force her over her limit and hell will break loose.

 

Thankfully, Kyungsoo prevents Sandara from causing more damage after about five wide-eyed, clearly irritated looks. And when all of them get ready to head home, she remains the ever so wholesome hostess she usually is.

 

Bambi, not wanting to be skillfully trapped (yet again) in her older friend's loft, leads the rest out the door hastily while exchanging goodbyes and then proceeds to slog to her own home.

 

Hey.” Amber softly nudges.

 

Bambi instantly turns around at the subtle gesture of her best friend with an eager look.

 

Are you gonna be okay?” Amber asks with a small unsure smile.

 

Of course!” Bambi lets out a chortle and shakes her head. “It's a bit weird and lonely in there, but I'll be fine.”

 

Amber stares at her for a minute or two, processing what she's just said. As soon as she stumbles upon an important realization, her eyes widen before she blurts in one breath, “Wait. Is that what this is really all about?? Sehun???”

 

What? No!” Bambi immediately shouts, shooting her a weird look.

 

You JUST said that it's a bit weird and lonely in there,” Amber reminds.

 

Well, yeah, because I'm alone. Not because Sehun's not there,” Bambi argues defensively.

 

But you ARE alone, because Sehun's NOT there,” Amber reasons, flailing her arms about in frustration.

 

What are you, a detective?” Bambi snarls.

 

No, but I'm your best friend. That being said, I know you pretty well and I'm 100% sure that you spending a lot more time, to the point of even sleeping over at Dara's for several days now, is because of Sehun.”

 

Bambi stares at her with a stone cold expression for a few moments before slowly smirking. “I see what's going on.”

 

Amber's face then turns grim. “Don't even try, Bambs.”

 

She sends her a sickly sweet smile before revealing in an accusing tone, “You have a thing for Sehun.”

 

Amber massages her temples and utters annoyed, “I knew you were gonna do this.”

 

Then, indeed, you know me well.” Bambi bats her eyelashes innocently.

 

You're hopeless. Just...one huge pile of walking and breathing denial,” Amber states in defeat.

 

Bambi sticks her tongue out playfully, surging with complete pride.

 

But you DO know that saying that out loud means I'M not the one who has a thing for Sehun, but the person who uttered those words does aka you,” Amber points out in the most levelheaded way possible.

 

Bambi snorts at her attempt to bring her mood down. “Please. Don't turn this on me, drama llama.”

 

That actually has psychological basis. I didn't say it just to spite you,” Amber maintains.

 

OKAY, Sehun lover. Got ya.” Bambi winks teasingly. Not wanting to spare a second longer, she enters her apartment without a proper reply from Amber and laughs.

 

Hey Hunster, you'll never guess who has a thing for you--” The shutting of the door behind her echoes in the loft as she stares blankly at the empty couch in the living room. “Right...”

 

He's not here... And that's when it hits her.

 

She does miss Sehun. And she is lonely, because he isn't there. She may not have a thing for him, but yes, she misses him. So ing much.

 

But why? It isn't like he left for good. He's on a meaningful holiday with his brother.

 

As she slumps on the couch and turns the TV on, her nose suddenly stiffens at the weird scent around the apartment.

 

Did the loft always smell like this? I've forgotten what it actually smells like before Sehun moved in...

 

She further sniffs around her and makes a face. I used to get so annoyed that he sprayed cologne all over the ing place, but now that I think about it, it did smell kinda nice. Now, it's just damp and flat...

 

A sigh escapes as she stares into nothing. The noise coming from the television slowly fading in the background.

 

How exactly did it come to this again?

 

For some odd reason, she's missing his smile, his laugh, his annoying little smirk after every exchange of banter they have... The way the most trivial things irritates the out of him, but when it comes to bigger matters like overpriced groceries or gas, he just shrugs it off and calls it a day. The way he sometimes scolds her for being such a slob, especially when he isn't in such a good mood. The way he tries to scare her whenever she gets out of the bathroom and she'd instantly run after him for succeeding. He would be laughing like crazy the entire time, his eyes forming into little crescent moons, indicating his pure joy from her reaction.

 

She misses their mornings together; because they get up at around the same time and that, in fact, is the most peaceful period of the day (banter wise) for both of them. She remembers his strange habit of stretching all the way from his room to the kitchen, his eyes still shut tight. Then, he'd open them and share this weirdly endearing sleepy side smile. And she'd always grimace at the sight, though secretly finding it charming.

 

She misses how he'd randomly text her a picture of a cat when they're both working. Before officially diving in at any shoot or gig, he'd go out of his way to look for a cat (any type of cat whether it be an actual one or a cartoon) and send it to her. In turn, she'd text a picture of a dog (mostly badly drawn ones and sometimes, she'd use the puppy filter on herself in Snapchat for fun).

 

She misses the times when after a long day, she'd come home and he'd be hogging the couch with his legs splayed out, phone in hand and his uttermost concentration on it. It would be over the minute she did something to spite him and they'd be at it all night even if they promise each other to just chill in the living room. This particular occurrence sparks up many inside jokes between them, which the others could never get.

 

She never really thought she was capable of missing him, because it was both easy and bothersome with him. He was always just there, being his annoying little self with his annoying little antics. But now, she realizes that she's grown accustomed to them. And the fact that she's been purposely gobbling all the unnecessary at work convinces her that she's actually in there pretty deep.

 

Crap,” She manages to say out loud at the overwhelming emotions coursing through her.

 

Her phone abruptly bleeps and she checks to see several snaps from Sehun. A total of twelve two-second pictures of him just pulling the most inane faces she's ever seen with the caption: 'There is no right way but the cattywampus way!' (a rather shallow and complicated inside joke between them). The last snap being a short video of him whispering 'Do you miss me yet????'.

 

She bursts into fits of laughter at each one and smiles widely at her phone. Her heart starting to flutter and her smile growing bigger, the more she thought about him.

 

Idiot. She shakes her head, though still unable to wipe the grin off her face. Such an annoying, handsome, adorable idiot who clearly makes me laugh and my heart race at almost anything and--

 

Her eyes suddenly widen and her heart pounds at the unforeseen thought.

 

Mothering ing crap,” She whispers in disbelief. I like the idiot.