The Smallest Things

Random TaeNy Musings

Tiffany has been questioning her relationship with Taeyeon recently. She knew that Taeyeon was a very reserved person, but never did Tiffany expect her girlfriend to be that reserved. Whenever they would go out on dates, Taeyeon was never one for public display of affection. The most they did in public was hold hands. Taeyeon never seemed willing to hold hands in public and Tiffany was not one to force the matter. It has even reached the stage where Tiffany questions herself whether Taeyeon loves her just as much as she loves the girl.

Tiffany had been monitoring Taeyeon’s behaviour lately. She was on the look out for any signs of Taeyeon’s reluctance to be in this relationship, but to no avail. It frustrated Tiffany so much that she had no choice but to ask her best friend for help.

“Hey Yuri, help me!”

“Yo waddup my hommie what is the problem?”

“What?”

“Nahh just watching some american shows. So what’s up Fany?”

“Has Taeyeon ever mentioned anything about our relationship to you?”

“Erm… Nope.”

“Does she really swing my way? I mean…” Tiffany paused, “Does she really like girls?”

“Well duh? Why else would she be dating you?” Yuri was slightly confused.

“Well… She doesn’t really seem keen on holding my hand in public, and she doesn’t even kiss me in front of others!”

“Wow and i thought i understood you well enough… Never would I have expected that you would like and audience when you and Taeyeon get it on…” Yuri commented.

“Yah! I didn’t mean it in that way! I meant it as an innocent peck!”

“Hmmm. Why are you focusing on what she’s showing in public and not what’s she showing to you personally? If i was Taeyeon i wouldn’t want people seeing me kiss my girlfriend. It’s just too awkward.”

“You have a point..” Tiffany contemplated over her best friend’s words.

“You know, sometimes it’s not about flaunting what you have. It’s more of noticing the minor details. It’s always the smallest things that take up the most room in your heart.”

“Yea.. Thanks Yuri.”

After the talk with Yuri, Tiffany decided to just head home after a cup of coffee. She didn’t want to stress herself out with something that might just have been her own insecurities. Walking down the street with her favourite favourite green tea latte in her hand, Tiffany took out her phone to inform Taeyeon that she was heading back home. What she didn’t expect was that Taeyeon had texted her first.

“Hey Fany, i’m heading to bed first. Please take care of yourself and head home safely. Goodnight.”

Although it wasn’t much, Tiffany clearly knew that Taeyeon was worried about her coming back so late. She held back a smile as she increased the pace of her steps, wanting to reach home earlier.

As Tiffany unlocked the door to their shared apartment, she spotted a plate of her favourite blueberry muffin resting on the table, with a handwritten note by Taeyeon beside it.

“Here’s your favourite muffin. Please eat it before it turns cold as i know you have been craving for it since last week.”

It was officially the best muffin she had ever eaten in her life. Granted, it was her favourite muffin from the nearby pastry cafe, but the fact that Taeyeon took the effort to get it for her made it so much better.

After finishing up the best muffin of her life, Tiffany headed straight for the showers, hoping to wash up quickly so as to catch up on her much needed rest. What caught her eye the moment she entered the bathroom was her toothbrush, sitting on top of a mug of clean water, with toothpaste neatly squeezed on it.

Tiffany’s heart soared to new heights after seeing what Taeyeon had done for her. It no longer mattered to Tiffany if Taeyeon didn’t kiss her in public. Yuri was right. It was the smallest things that held the most room in her heart, as proven by the small and subtle gestures by Taeyeon.

Tiffany was in the middle of brushing her teeth when the bathroom door opened, revealing a half awake Taeyeon that was shuffling towards her. The next thing she knew, Taeyeon was hugging her possessively from the back as she rested her chin on Tiffany’s shoulder, watching the latter brush her teeh through the mirror.

“Wharrd arr yu dooink?”

A chuckle escaped from Taeyeon’s lips.

“I don’t understand what you just said, but please speed up whatever you’re doing so we can go to bed.”

“Ho’ awn” Tiffany rinsed before continuing, ” I said, what are you doing?”

“Waiting for you to come back to bed.”

“Hmm? You seemed to be sleeping just fine without me.”

“Nah, i sleep the best when you’re in my arms.”

“Am i your bolster, Kim Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked indignantly.

“You’re the one cuddling so I think i’m the bolster instead. But that doesn’t matter, what matters most is that you’re in my arms when i sleep.”

“And why is that so?”

“Because i love you. Now can we sleep?” Taeyeon asked while stifling a yawn.

All of Tiffany’s past insecurities of Taeyeon not loving her as much as she did vanished within that split second after hearing Taeyeon’s words. She knew that Taeyeon loved her as much as she loved Taeyeon, as shown by the small loving gestures that Taeyeon had done for her. The three words were just a verbal confirmation for a fact that Taeyeon, loves her just as much.

“I love you too. Let’s go to bed, Taeyeon.”

Yuri was right.

“It’s always the smallest things that take up the most room in your heart.”